Show Off

Super Junior Dating Game

My eyes met those of the two girls at the other end of the room. I was fuming. One of them squeaked a little, catching my expression, and the other widened their eyes and stepped back.

"Want to say that to my face, pipsqueak?" I asked, the words tumbling out before I could think about it. The girl who stepped back shook her head, the other seemed too frightened to move. I took a step towards them and they went pale.

"Suzi-" Kyuhyun stepped towards me but I turned the glare onto him and he shrunk back again, biting his lip. Tears started forming in my eyes, these girls had just described so many reasons why I had been bullied at school. I opened my mouth to say something harsh again, but only a sob escaped. I turned and ran out, ignoring the yells following me.

- -

I don't know how I did it, but I somehow managed to get back to the dorms and jumped straight onto my bed, sobbing my heart out. I caught sight of myself in the mirror and stripped off my current clothes, throwing on a pair of skinny jeans and a black T-shirt. I took out my make-up bag and  ploughed on heaps of black eyeliner and mascara, then proceeded to brush and straighten my hair. I had gone back to my defense mechanism in school, hiding my face and my natural qualities from the world. My straighteners kept getting caught in the curls and knots in my hair, and it wasn't working as fast as it sometimes would, but I kept trying, tears running onto the metal making it hiss.

The door to the apartment opened, making me jump. "Suzi?"

It was Kyuhyun, his voice shaking with worry. I heard him grab the door handle, yelling at him to get out, that I wanted to be alone, but he came in anyway.

Catching sight of me curled up on the floor in front of the mirror, crying with half straight hair, Kyuhyun stopped talking. He came and sat down beside me, taking the straighteners carefully from my hand, brushing out the remaining curls and running the iron through my hair until it was almost perfect. Then he grabbed a tissue from the bathroom, mopping up my tears and wiping away my mascara trails from down my cheeks, kissing them when he was finished.

"There, done." He smiled sweetly at me and got up, puling me up with him by my wrist. Kyuhyun slipped my shoes onto my feet, dressing me almost like I was a child,  and held my hand, dragging me outside. I questioned where we were going, but he put a finger to his lips and wouldn't answer me.

After walking around for almost half an hour, it seemed we had reached our destination. A small shop, with bright green and pink signs outside. Kyuhyun took me inside, and I thought I was in Narnia. The tiny shop turned out to be a huge ice cream, pancake and pastry bakery, fitted out with old fashioned furniture and playing soft Korean music, it was lovely.

Kyu pushed me towards the ice cream section and told me to pick a flavour, smiling at the woman serving us when I took too long.

"Hazelnut!" I enthused, smiling at him for the first time since dance practice. He grinned at me, then turned to the lady to order two hazelnut cones.

Once we'd been given the ice cream, he sat me down and told me to wait for a moment. I looked around myself at the beautiful scenery, the people coming and going; some couples, some groups, and some on their own, all dressed for different occasions and ordering different things. I jumped at Kyu's fingertips tapping at my shoulder as he put down two enormous hot chocolates, filled to the brim and topped with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. I looked at him and half smiled as he smirked at me, taking a sip of his hot chocolate. I laughed at him when he got cream on his nose, wiping it off as he scrunched up his face.

"So," I said between mouthfulls of ice cream and cocoa, "is this a date?"

Kyu winked at me and said, "do you want it to be a date?"

I pretended to ponder over the question for a moment, then nodded profusely as he nudged and tickled me to get an answer. I laughed at both of us, reveling in the thought that this was too perfect. Once we'd finished, Kyu took me out and told me we were going to another place, and this time I didn't question it, I just let him take me.

- -

"Why are we here?" I asked, gesturing to the studio we were in merely hours beforehand. Kyuhyun took my hand and explained.

"When I first joined Super Junior, I couldn't dance. At all. You can, I'm not saying you can't, you're a lot better than me even now, but I saw that look on your face after what those girls had said, so I'm pretty sure you want to prove yourself, right?" I nodded. "Right. So yes, I basically at first, but after a while I got better, and even became one of the lead dancers in Bonamana. So, we're here so you can dance, and learn the dance from someone who previously couldn't dance themselves."

I loved him at that moment, and we got to work straight away. It soon became easier and easier to remember the moves, and after a while I knew every single part, and could do it on my own without music. Kyuhyun smiled at me, and pressed play for the last time, and we danced to the song perfectly.

After I high fived Kyu, I caught sight of something.

Siwon was in the doorway, his hands on the shoulders of two girls. The girls from earlier. My fists clenched, then loosened as I acknowledged their expressions.

"Kyuhyun told me what you were doing, so I brought these two down to view the grande finale." Siwon said solemly, nudging the two girls to speak.

"I-I'm sorry to have said those things," the one said, while the other nodded and looked tearful. I didn't want to accept their apology, so I just nodded back at them as Siwon walked them out again.

"Ta-dah!" Kyuhyun sang, spreading his arms.