Chapter 25

Survival of Mato

"Look!" shouted Jongup as he pointed to the plants. They had grown and most of the fruits were almost ripe by now. The flowers had come out beautiful. We beamed as we examined our hard but pleasant and satisfying work. "Just wait a little longer and we can finally eat them!" I shouted with joy.

"I bet they'll taste so good," Jongup beamed.

"They better," I said and smiled to myself.

"I'll go and get the hose to water them," he said.

"Alright," I said and stared at the flowers. I leaned against my knees and smiled. Suddenly, I felt something being stuck gently into my hair. I looked up to see Daehyun smiling at me. I touched my hair and felt a flower by my ear.

"The flower compliments you," he said.

"T-Thanks," I said and looked away, embarrassed.

"So, I guess the plants turned out well," he said. 

"Yeah, Jongup and I worked really hard for them to grow," I said and beamed with pride.

"Psh, this is nothing compared to other accomplishments in the world," he said.

"Well, this is a pretty big accomplishment to me," I said with a frown. "My actions and what I accomplish may be nothing compared to your accomplishments, which I'm sure are wonderful. But I take pride in what I do, even if it's picking some litter off the floor to throw in the garbage." I frowned, "I thought you knew better, but I guess not..."

"..."

"I-"

"Han-ah!" shouted Jongup. He came running back with the hose and stopped running when he noticed the tension in the air between Daehyun and I.

"Uh, did I come at the wrong timing again?" he asked.

"No, No," I said and smiled. I took the hose from Jongup and smiled at him. "Daehyun and I were just talking, but we're done. He was just leaving," I said.

"Y-yeah," Daehyun said, a little dazed and walked away.

I watered the plants with sadness and anger.

**I wonder what is going on between Daehyun and Han-ah?** Jongup thought.

  

"I'm sorry Han-ah," Daehyun sighed as he dropped onto the comfort of his bed. "I just want to protect you...from getting  too close to us...especially me..." Daehyun had seen Kimsoo sneaking around and watching their every move. Every once in a while, recording or doing something that wasn't going to result in good news.

He didn't want to put you in danger, after all you have done, it wasn't right for you to suffer the consequences. Daehyun sighed and ruffled his hair in frustration. **Why is this so difficult to solve?**

"What's the matter with you," said a voice. Daehyun looked to the right to see Himchan standing by the door. 

"Nothing," Daehyun sighed.

"Well, that sigh is already explaining half of it," Himchan smirked and sat by the edge of the bed. 

Daehyun closed his eyes and didn't respond. 

"Spit it out," Himchan sighed. "It'll make you feel better. You've been quiet for more than half of your life span right now. Just speak," he said.

"..."

"Fine, I'll just leave," Himchan said and was about to leave the room- "Does love hurt? If it does, why does it hurt so much..."

"..." Himchan sat back down at the edge of the bed and didn't say a word. Suddenly, he started to laugh.

Daehyun furrowed his eyebrows in frustration. "Yah! You offered me help and now you're laughing at me?"

"S-Sorry," Himchan said. "It's just so hard to believe that your upset about ... about this. I mean, you haven't spoken or given much to the world, now you're complaining about this?"

"Just shut it if you have no good comments to say," Daehyun's cold side said.

"Fine," Himchan said. "Well, love...is a .... a hard and complicated puzzle that takes time in order to put together to make one whole puzzle," he said carefully.

"But...why is it so painful when you're trying to save someone you...care about," Daehyun asked. "I mean, you're doing it for a good reason, so why...?"

"I don't know," Himchan said honestly. "I guess it's just the way things work in the universe."

"Well, it stinks to fall in love then," Daehyun muttered.

"Actually, it's pretty worth it," Himchan smiled in no one particular. "When you're loved by someone that cares  so much about you, it could even be a minute, and...it'll all be worth it in the end."

"How do you know all this? You speak as if ... well as if you had experience," Daehyun said.

"It's cause I did experience it before...and it was...undescribable to how..." Himchan stopped. He took a deep breath and muttered, "I haven't talked about this for so long..."

He took a deep breath and looked at Daehyun, who looked so lost and was so unexperienced to love. "Well...I was once in love, too," Himchan started. "I was...very innocent to love back than, like you. I didn't believe in such nonsense. I would think, 'Why would you want to give up your own life for someone else?' But I found out the hard way, I had been love struck."

"..."

"It was wonderful," Himchan continued. "She was the best thing in the world, I felt the emotions that she felt. It was just so hard not to think about her, I didn't want to separate from her....I couldn't. Go and get the girl you love, Daehyun, you'll regret it if you stand back to watch someone else take her."

"Himchan..." Daehyun was speechless. He never knew Himchan had this side before, he was always the easy going, erted-minded, and fun General. 

"Just go to her," Himchan winked. Daehyun nodded and ran out the door.

Himchan stared at the open doors and smiled. "I hope you love him as much as he loves you...Han-ah."