A Little Push.

Unexpected Family

 

9:50AM, Sulli looks up from her Hello Kitty watch with a sigh.
 
She had come too early because she was anxious to see how her best friend would react to the news that Sulli was going to tell her today. It’s okay anyways since Krystal never came on time to anywhere she was going. It gave Sulli time to sort out her thoughts and think of how to word everything that she was going to say.
 
As she was slowly sipping her raspberry ice tea, the bell above the door dinged, signifying a new customer entering the shop. 10:05AM, hmph, not bad.
 
Sulli stands up and holds her arms out, ready to receive a hug from her best friend that she has missed so much. As Krystal enters, she spots Sulli and spreads into a big smile. As she speed walks over to her, her eyes analyze Sulli’s chubbier figure and protruding stomach. She looks preg-- aha, no, she couldn’t be.
 
Her eyes flash back to Sulli’s face and she hugs her for the first time in months. “Ssul! I’ve missed you so much! I was hoping that it wasn’t a prank call yesterday, I would have gone home crying my eyes out.” She pouts and Sulli pats her back, “I’ve missed you too, Krys.” 
 
Krystal pulls away but keeps her 2 hands on Sulli’s shoulders, “Umm, not to be rude or anything, Ssul, but you’ve gotten fat.” Sulli giggles at her best friend‘s comment, “Well, I have been eating for 2 so yeah, I have gotten fat.” Krystal’s eyes widen, “W-what do you mean, eating for 2?”
 
Sulli just smiles at her best friend and gestures for her to sit down. She grabs Krystal’s petite hands, “Why don’t you order a drink first and then we’ll talk, okay?” Krystal can only nod. Is she really pre-pregnant..?
 
“Here’s your mocha frapp, enjoy~” The waiter sets her drink down onto the table and disappears behind the counter. Krystal grabs it and takes a hefty gulp, “Now, let’s talk Ssul.”
 
Sulli takes a deep breath, “What I tell you may come as a bit of a shock but I want your opinion on some things and you’re my best friend and you deserve to know.” Krystal slowly nods, “You’re worrying me, Ssul.” She squeezes Sulli’s hands and shoots her a concerned look. 
 
Well, here goes nothing.
 
Sulli whispers in the quietest voice she can manage, “I’m pregnant.” 
 
***
 
 “Yah, get your bummy up, Choi.” Chanyeol’s voice echoes throughout their dorm. Minho groans, “I don’t feel like it.” He rolls over to face away from his roommate. Chanyeol scoffs and goes to the end of Minho’s bed, “If you don’t get up, you are really going to regret it.” Minho groans even louder, “Go away, Park, I’m not in the mood to get out of bed today.”
 
Chanyeol is beginning to get frustrated with his roommate, “Is this because of this Sulli girl? I know you’ve been looking for her this past month and have turned up with nothing but laying in bed isn’t going to solve anything, is it? Get your pathetic up and go find this girl!”
 
With that, Chanyeol flips Minho’s mattress and on the floor lands an irritated Choi Minho. 
 
“YAH! I know what I need to do! I’m just..” he lets out a heavy sigh, “I’m just discouraged, that’s all. I can’t give up, I won’t.” This guy really cares for this girl, Chanyeol thought with a smile.
 
Chanyeol bends down to pat Minho’s head, “Good boy! Now, let me help you look for her. I want to help. Besides, my dad is a detective and he has taught me a thing or two in locating a missing person. And I really don’t think you can do it without me. I’m awesome.” 
 
Minho smacks his hand away, “First of all, don’t pet me ever again in your life. Secondly,” he makes a short pause and looks up at his roommate with a smile, “thanks for the help, man.”
 
***
 
“Wha-what did you say?” Krystal was just sitting there; frozen like ice, eyes bigger than the moon, “You-you’re pregnant?” Sulli smiles slightly at her shocked best friend and nods. Krystal gulps, “Are you positive? Who’s the father?”
 
Sulli squeezes the other’s hands, “Yes. And about that.. I think you already know.” Krystal nibbles at the inside of her cheek, “I think I do.. Wait, does he know?”
 
The pregnant girl lets go of the other’s hands, lowers her head and shakes it from side to side. Krystal scrunches her eyebrows in confusion, “What do you mean ‘no’? It IS his, right? You aren’t secretly a , are you?” The tension thins out from Krystal’s little joke. 
 
Sulli looks at her best friend with a jokingly offended look, “NO! What kind of girl do you think I am, Krys?” 
 
“Okay, okay; sheesh, I was just making sure.” Krystal shifts in her seat and switches back to the previous subject, “Why doesn’t he know, Ssul? Is this the reason why you left?”  Sulli recognizes the seriousness in her voice; she only got like this if she was genuinely concerned about the other. “Yes, it is the reason but the other was you finding my diary.. I didn’t know how to face you but, in the end, you’re my best friend and nothing each other does will affect our relationship so I decided to come back to visit you.”
 
Krystal’s eyes soften at the sweet things her best friend is saying but Sulli continues to speak, “And about Minho.. He doesn’t know because I don’t want him to.” Krystal’s eyes narrow, “Why not, Ssul?”
 
Sulli takes a deep breath, “You know how I gave up my scholarship, right? The school must have informed you,” Krystal nods and she resumes, “Well, I gave it up in order to take care of the baby. I couldn’t get it aborted; you know how I am on that issue. And Minho also has a scholarship for soccer and we can’t give up 2 scholarships; that’s a waste. So , I decided to take the sacrifice so that he can keep his scholarship and live a normal college life without worrying about having a child.”
 
Krystal takes in every piece of what Sulli has said and responds, “Your life is important too, Ssul. You can’t always take the hit for others; you deserve everything good that comes your way. You were so happy when you got that scholarship letter, so happy that you were crying hysterically and I had to calm you down.” 
 
Sulli looks down, “Yeah, I know.. But it’s okay. I can come back to school when I am able to and believe me, I am so grateful for that. Not many people get that chance so everything’s okay, Krys. Don’t worry too much.” 
 
Krystal looks at her with caring eyes and nods. “But Ssul.. Don’t you think that he has the right to know? He’s the father. The baby can’t grow up without its father. It isn’t right.” Sulli huffs and raises her voice, “I know!” She receives a few stares from other customers in the coffee shop but continues to speak in a lower volume, “I’m sorry.. That’s all I hear from everyone, I know.” 
 
Krystal sighs, “What have you decided to do about it then? Keep him in the dark from his own child or let him know that he’s a father? Don’t you think he’d like to know? If I were him, I would. He and I aren’t really on good terms but I still thinks he has the right to know..” 
 
Sulli ponders over what to respond with but fails, “I-I don’t know what to do..” Krystal rubs her shoulder, “You’ll figure something out, Ssul. You’ve heard what I had to say. Whatever you decide, I’ll support you no matter what. That’s what best friends are for.” Sulli smiles gently at her best friend.
 
Krystal gasps and Sulli jumps, “What about your parents? Do they know?”
 
“No, they’ll kill me! Not only am I pregnant, I’m also not going to school at the moment!” 
Krystal sighs, “You’re right.. You’ll have to tell them sooner or later though, Ssul.” Sulli pouts, “I know. I have to let them know that they are going to be grandparents. But I’m scared..” Krystal grabs Sulli’s hand, “I’ll go with you to see them whenever you are ready.” Sulli smiles gratefully at her best friend, “Thanks so much, Krys.”
 
The mood becomes brighter as Sulli talks about Taeyeon, Jinki, & Hyeri. She talks about her life with them and how adorable little Hyeri is. She also tells Krystal the gender of the baby and how it feels to be pregnant and a soon-to-be mom.
 
Krystal’s eyes perk up, “Hey! How about you give me your address and I’ll come visit sometime? I’d like to see where you are living.” Sulli takes one of the napkins and writes the address on it. “Here. Don’t lose it because I’d like to show you my ‘other’ life.” She giggles and Krystal takes it, folds it, and safely sticks it in her wallet.
 
Neoreul walkag ango~ Lee Seung Gi’s “Because We’re Friends” begins to play and Krystal knows that it’s Sulli’s phone ringing. 
 
“Don’t you ever get tired of him, Ssul?” Sulli giggles, “Never!” She looks at the screen and answers with a cheerful voice, “Hey Jinki oppa.”
 
“Sulli-ah, you’re at Addis Ababa, right?” Jinki works in the city of Seoul for his business. It is a commute but the pay is worth it.
 
“Yes I am, are you almost here?” 
 
“I should be there in 2 minutes tops so be ready!” He hangs up and Krystal holds her hand out and stands up, “Shall I you out?” Sulli takes her hand, “You shall.” The two giggle as they walk out of the coffee shop. Jinki pulls up and waves to the girls, “You must be Krystal! Sulli talks a lot about you.” 
 
“I hope she is saying good things about me.” They all laugh and Jinki is the first to speak, “You should come visit sometime, you are always welcome! Any friend of Sulli’s is a friend of ours.” Krystal smiles, “I will visit sometime soon, thank you, Jinki oppa.” 
 
“Do you need a ride anywhere?” Sulli asks her best friend. “No, I have to get going and the place isn’t far so I should be fine.” 
 
Sulli takes Krystal into the tightest hug she is able to give at the moment since her belly prevents her from making it even more tighter, “You better come visit, Krys! You have my number now, put it to good use.” With that, Sulli gets into the car and Krystal waves until the car disappears from sight. 
 
Krystal looks at her wallet where the address to where Sulli is living is safely tucked away. Hmm, should I? Maybe this is the push Sulli needs to help her figure everything out. Krystal sets off to her destination.
 
*** 
 
“Man, this girl really did not leave a trace!” A frustrated Chanyeol says. Minho sighs, “I’m losing hope, man.” A knock is heard at the door. Chanyeol goes over to answer the door. "Maybe this is the hope you need~" Minho groans, "Shut up, Park, I don't want to hear your stupid cheesy lines right now."
 
Chanyeol laughs and opens the door but immediately stops laughing when he looks at who is at the door. There stands a stunning girl with a determined look on her face. “Is Minho here?” 
 
“Uhh, y-yeah,” he steps out of the way and points, “R-Right there.” Krystal flashes a small smile of thanks to the tall boy and walks past him to Minho. Chanyeol catches his breath, closes the door and sits on his bed, watching the two have a conversation or something of the sort.
 
“What do you want, Krystal? Now’s not a good time.” Minho says with an irritated look on his face. 
 
“Look, I don’t want to be here either but we need to set aside our differences just for now.”
 
Minho scoffs, “And why would I do that?”
 
Krystal folds her arms and sticks her hip out to the side, “It’s about Sulli.” Minho’s frog eyes widen and he stands up immediately. “You’ve found her?!” 
 
Krystal nods, “I even have her address.” She waves the napkin in his face and he grabs it. “Look Minho, I know everything about you and Sulli so you don’t have to hide anything from me. I’m not bitter about it either; you and I were in the past and we should move forward from it. Truce?” 
 
She holds out her hand and he stares at it for a little while until he grabs it, “Truce. Thanks for the help but how did you know what happened between me and Sulli?” Krystal takes Sulli’s diary out of her bag and hands it to him, “This. And I think you should read it. There are things in there that you need to read.” 
 
Krystal begins to walk backwards, “And you should visit Sulli soon, she has something to tell you.” She twirls around and faces Chanyeol, “I’m Krystal, by the way.” Chanyeol looks up at her and blinks a few times, still stunned by her beauty, “ I-I’m Chanyeol, Minho’s roommate.” 
 
“Nice to meet you!” She winks and Chanyeol literally died a little on the inside. Minho’s voice brings him back to reality, “What does she have to tell me, Krystal?” She shoots him a serious look, “That’s for her, and her only to tell you.” 
 
Krystal goes to the door, “Nice to see you boys, I shall be off now!” She leaves the dorm and Minho looks at the lifeless Chanyeol with a smirk, “You like her, don’t you?” 
 
“Wha-- no! I don’t even know the girl!” Chanyeol huffs and lays down. Minho laughs, “Yeah, okay, Park, whatever you say.”