Sulli, Where The Hell Are You?

Unexpected Family

Sulli clears , "Taeyeon unnie..?" Taeyeon blinks a few times and says to Sulli, "Are you positive that you are..?" Sulli just nods her head.

There was a knock on the door. "Yeobo?~" a man's voice sounded from the other side of the door. Taeyeon whispers to Sulli with a serious tone, "We'll continue this conversation later." Sulli gulped; Taeyeon seemed like a strict ahjumma, despite her young appearance. 
 
The blonde-haired woman opens the door and there stands a handsome, brown-haired man with a bright smile. Sulli began to analyze him, something she did often when she saw someone new. 
 
Hmm, average height, wearing a tailored suit & carrying a suitcase; he must be a business man.  His octagon glasses give him a goofy yet sophisticated look. He called Taeyeon ‘yeobo’ earlier. Ah! He must be Taeyeon's husband. 
 
Her thoughts were interrupted when the dashing man began to speak, "Honey, who is this?" Sulli bows and greets herself. "Ahh~ Taeyeon's cousin Sulli? I'm Jinki, Taeyeon's husband.” I was right. “Nice to meet you,” he says as he approaches Sulli and holds his hand out. 
 
Sulli takes it and shakes his hand with a warm smile. "She's going to be staying with us for a while," Taeyeon voice says from doorway. Jinki's eyebrows rise and he smiles widely, "The more, the merrier! Please, make yourself at home."
 
Wow, they are so welcoming and kind.. He didn't even question me or anything.
 
"Thank you so much for your kindness, sir!" Jinki made a disapproving face, "Yah, just call me Jinki; 'sir' makes me sound like an old man!" He lets out a hearty laugh and Taeyeon shushes him. "Yah, Hyeri is sleeping!" 
 
"Oops! Well, it was nice meeting you, Sulli. I am going to eat my dinner now; a 10-hour work day sure can wear you out!" He wipes the imaginary sweat off of his forehead as he sounds out a ‘woo‘. Sulli giggles, she liked this guy, he was animated. 
 
On his way out of the room, he kisses his wife on the cheek and she smiles endearingly at him. While he kisses her other cheek, she giggles sincerely and takes his arm and they both go to the kitchen to prepare his dinner with smiles on each other's faces. 
 
They look so in love. Sigh, I want to have something like that one day..
 
She smiles to herself and decides to change into some pajamas. Feeling comfy, she falls back onto her new bed and glances around what is now her room. It was a nice size and she could see herself living comfortably here. 
 
Her pleasant thoughts were soon taken over with not so pleasant ones. What was she going to tell her parents? They would kill her if they found out. They were so disappointed when they found out about Taeyeon to the point where they told Sulli to not end up like her or they’ll disown her. Sulli didn’t know if they were serious or not about the whole disowning thing but, it was still frightening to see their reactions.
 
What was she going to tell her school? She had a scholarship for her academics to the University of Seoul but now, she would have to give that up for her baby. She sighs and turns to her side. Minho finds his way back into her mind.
 
He also had a scholarship to another college so giving up one of them for the baby was enough. She didn't want to tell him because she knows him; he would drop out in a heartbeat to help her. He was just a nice guy like that but she couldn't bear to mess up his life when hers was already screwed. 
 
Sulli already had decided on raising this child by herself even though she just barely found out she was pregnant not so long ago. She didn't want to be a burden to Minho so him not knowing he was a father of a child he had with Sulli wouldn't put any stress on him. 
 
There she goes putting others before herself again. It was an endearing quality Sulli possessed but it also caused her to get hurt in the end. But, Sulli liked to see others happy and when she knows she made that person happy, she feels even better about it.
 
Sulli was physically & emotionally drained and soon, her thoughts trailed off and she drifted into a deep sleep, wanting to rest before she has to have a talk with Taeyeon tomorrow.
 
***
 
Krystal couldn’t get much sleep that night. Thoughts of her best friend consumed her mind. Where was she? Is she okay? Why did she leave without a trace like that? These were the questions Krystal was asking herself. 
 
And also one more question was on her mind; what was the whole deal with Sulli & Minho? 
 
Krystal sighs loudly and turns to look at her best friend’s empty bed once again. She began to talk to Sulli as if she was there, “Yah, answer my questions, babo.” She begins to tear up again, “I miss you and it hasn’t even been 24 hours since you’ve been gone..” She sits up and walks over to the diary that was still on the floor. 
 
“I’ll just read you, diary, and that’ll feel like Sulli’s here with me.” Krystal felt like she was invading in Sulli’s privacy but she just wanted her best friend back.
 
As she plops back down onto her bed, she begins to read the first entry; 
August 13th, 2007 …
 
***
 
“Sulli unnie!~” 
 
Sulli stirred in her sleep and pulled the covers over her head. 
 
“Sulli UNNIE!~”
 
Sulli let out a disapproving groan. Suddenly, she feels a tiny body jump on her back. She is startled and turns around with wide, sleepy eyes. A little girl was sitting there with big, excited eyes. “Sulli unnie! You’re up!” She giggled with an eye smile and it had to be the most adorable thing Sulli had ever seen. 
 
“And who is this adorable, little girl?” Sulli asks with a smile. The girl giggles again, “I’m Lee Hyeri and I am 4 years old.” Sulli was impressed by her speaking. It was very good for a child that was age 4. And she looked even younger than 4. She was just so cute.
 
“Umma told me to get Sulli unnie for breakfast.” Hyeri starts to pull on Sulli’s arm, “Let’s go unnie! Or the food will get cold!” Sulli complies and follows the little girl, who was dragging her by the wrist, to the kitchen. Aigoo, this girl is so cute!
 
***
 
Breakfast was very comfortable and there was no awkwardness at all. Jinki and Taeyeon had accepted Sulli into their home and she was all too grateful. And now there was this adorable little girl, Hyeri, who is just this little ball of sunshine that is so outgoing with Sulli. Spending time with Hyeri made Sulli feel warm on the inside. Having a little child like this would be nice.
 
As Jinki left for work after hugging and kissing his wife and daughter, Taeyeon got Hyeri occupied with a Hello Kitty coloring book while she sat Sulli down on the couch to have their talk. Sulli was nervous but she felt like Taeyeon wasn’t going to go berserk on her.
 
“What have you decided to do about the baby?” Taeyeon’s question was direct and to the point. Sulli stopped fidgeting with her fingers and sat up straight looking directly at Taeyeon. “I’m keeping it.” Taeyeon’s serious eye turned soft as she put a hand on Sulli’s shoulder.
 
“It’s not easy you know but I’m glad you decided to come to me with this, since the same exact thing happened with me.” Sulli smiles, “I’m glad you’re accepting me so easily. My parents would be so disapproving of this, I can’t tell the father about this and I had nowhere else to go and--” Taeyeon cut her off.
 
“What do you mean you can’t tell the father?” Concern was evident in her eyes, “..was it a one-night stand? Or, even worse, !?” Sulli held up her hands and waved them, “No no! Neither of those. It’s just.. complicated I guess.” 
 
Taeyeon glances over to the table where her daughter is sitting at in the dining room; Hyeri was so immersed into her coloring book that it looked like she would be coloring for days. Taeyeon smiled warmly at her daughter’s cuteness. Her gaze returns to Sulli, “It’s my day off so I have time for your ‘complicated’ story. I‘m here for you, Ssulbaby.” 
 
Sulli smiled, she hadn’t been called Ssulbaby in so long. It was Taeyeon’s personal nickname for her since she always had such a pretty baby face. Sulli takes a deep breath and begins to tell her older cousin her story.
 
***
 
“So.. You understand why I can’t tell him, right?” Sulli looked at Taeyeon with hopeful eyes. “But Sulli, that’s hiding a kid from it’s father; it’s not right.” 
 
Sulli frowns, “I don’t want to mess up his life by telling him he has a child with me. He would come help me, of course, but he needs to focus on other things.” 
 
Taeyeon sighs, “I get that, I do, but keeping him in the dark doesn’t help either. Besides, the kid needs a father.” 
 
“I’m sorry for being so stubborn but that’s my decision. I hope you can accept it, unnie.” Sulli stared at Taeyeon with determined eyes.
 
“Well, I don’t like it but, it’s your choice.”
 
Hyeri runs over to her mother with 2 papers in her hand and holds out one, showing it to her. “Umma! This is for you.” She hands Taeyeon the paper. It was Hello Kitty in the kitchen, baking for 3 other characters from the Hello Kitty series, beautifully colored in by the dear Hyeri. “This is you baking for me, appa, and unnie!” Sulli’s heart was going to melt; this girl was too precious. Taeyeon smiles at her daughter, “This is amazing, Hyeri. I’ll go hang it on the fridge.” She gets up to go to the kitchen.
 
“Sulli unnie, this one is for you.” Hyeri hands her the paper and it shows 2 characters building a sand castle together. “See unnie? It’s me and you.” Sulli seriously thought she was going to die. “Thank you so much, Hyeri.”
 
Taeyeon is walking back from the kitchen as she spots Hyeri and Sulli. She stops to watch from afar.
 
“Unnie?” Hyeri looks up at Sulli with big, curious eyes. 
“Yes baby?” Hyeri points to the picture she just gave Sulli. “I want to do this someday with unnie. Ca-can we?” Sulli beamed, she felt so warm inside. “Of course Hyeri, I promise we’ll go.” It was Hyeri’s turn to beam. “Yaaay!” She hugged Sulli tightly.
 
Taeyeon smiled at the scene. It was too precious; her heart couldn’t take it.
 
I made the right decision in keeping Hyeri. If I didn’t, my life wouldn’t be filled with so much warmth. This kid is a little ball of love.
 
Seeing how Hyeri acted with Sulli gave her an idea. She walks into the living room and grabs Hyeri and spins her around a couple times. All you could hear was Hyeri’s giggles, she was such a happy little girl. Taeyeon sets her down and grabs her daughters shoulders and look her straight into the eyes, “How would you like it if Sulli became your babysitter?” 
 
Hyeri loved the idea of it. She turned to Sulli, whose face lit up as she put Hyeri in her lap. “You’re making me her babysitter?” Taeyeon nodded excitedly, “I’m starting to work again and daycare is such a hassle. Since we have a new person in the house and Hyeri has warmed up to you quickly, why not? Plus, you can’t just laze around and do nothing. You need to earn your own money too! It would be a big help.”
 
“Oh, you don’t have to pay me, unnie. I’d do it for--” Taeyeon shushed her, “You need your own money and it’s saving me gas so I must pay you, whether you like it or not.” Sulli smiled and hugged her older cousin, “Thank you so much, unnie. You really don’t know how thankful I am.”
 
“Yah, I can’t breathe!” A little voice said from between the 2 older girls. They broke their embrace and both apologized to Hyeri. The 3 girls were all smiles, no frowns.
 
***
 
Minho hasn’t tried to reach Sulli ever since he found out that she went to the states to get away from everything. He thinks she left because of him and he feels bad about it. 
 
He decided to give up on his feelings for her but he just can’t seem to do it. Minho wonders what she is doing everyday, if she is thinking about him also, and how she is doing. He still had hope because Sulli didn’t refuse him on that night so he wondered.. Did she feel something too?
 
It has been 4 months now since that night. Everything is going great with school but he still thinks about Sulli sometimes. He tries to call her but she changed her number.
 
One day, his curiosity became too much to handle so he decides that he wants to visit Sulli to check up on her. Minho always took care of her when she was in need so he was often concerned with how her mood was and if she was maintaining her health. 
 
He was on the side of Seoul where Sulli’s university was but he didn’t know her dorm room number. Minho figured that he would need Krystal’s number someday for some reason so he kept it; he‘s glad he did. He presses call and waits for her to pick up. 
 
She finally answers, “Why are you calling?” 
 
Minho sighs, “Do you have Sulli’s number? She must have changed it because I can’t reach her.”
 
Krystal tenses up and quickly says, “Nope, sorry. Bye.” and hangs up.
 
Minho lets out a heavy sigh, Well that was no help. And weird too. Their best friends, why wouldn’t she know her phone number?
 
He decides to head to the main office to ask for himself what her dorm room number is. “Excuse me?” 
 
The receptionist looks up and smiles and asks him, “What can I help you with?” 
 
“Yes, I was wondering what dorm room number does Choi Sulli live in? She’s a first year.” 
 
Ugh, it’s probably just a boyfriend looking for his girl. “Yah, kid, we don’t give out information like that. You must be related to the student or you get no info.” 
 
Damn. Time to resort to aegyo.
 
Minho turns on his cute side and the noona immediately begins to melt. “L-Let me check the database, sweetie. One second, okay?” She types in her name but there is no Choi Sulli, First Year in the database. The noona turns her attention back to Minho, “I’m sorry but there is no Choi Sulli, First Year enrolled here. Are you sure she goes here?” 
 
Minho didn’t understand. “But, she has to be. She has a scholarship here for her academics. Are you positive?” 
 
The noona begins to get a little annoyed, “Look, the database doesn’t lie and is updated daily. Choi Sulli isn’t enrolled here, now--” 
 
A tall man interjects his way into the conversation, “Choi Sulli?” Minho looks up at the man and asks him, “Do you know her, sir?” 
 
“I do! She is one of the brightest students I have ever had the pleasure to interview! It’s sad that she dropped out only a few weeks bef--” 
 
“DROPPED OUT!?” Minho didn’t understand; that didn’t sound like Sulli. 
 
“Yes, she said she has personal issues that she has to deal with in the time being. But I told her that the University of Seoul will be waiting for her whenever she decides to come back! We can’t let such a bright student like her slip away like that.”
 
Minho bows to the man and thanks him for his help. While walking to the bus stop, all he could do was think.
 
Dropped out? What the hell? This doesn’t make any sense. Sulli, where the hell are you?