Try.

Unexpected Family

As the couple arrived to their apartment complex, the anticipation was killing Sulli, she wanted to see the place all decorated and what the surprise was that Minho’s grandmother had left for them. The couple walked into the elevator hand in hand, and Minho pressed 13 for their floor number. “I can’t wait to see it, Minho. We get a place to call our own.” Sulli gripped his hand tighter, expressing her excitement.

Minho smiled, “Yes, I’m excited too, Sulli-ah.”

The elevator dinged signaling that they have reached their destination. When the doors opened, Sulli practically dragged Minho out. For being very pregnant, Sulli could move fast and she was strong. “Ah Sulli, slow down!” She didn’t hear him so Minho found his footing quickened his pace until they came to a stop.

“Here it is, Minho!” Sulli’s face lit up, “Yah, give me the key.” She was determined to get inside so he handed her the key as fast as he could. Sulli opened the door and she was amazed to see everything they picked out so nicely put together. The color theme was red and black and there was a door that led out to a balcony that overlooked the city. Sulli was almost in tears; their home was so beautiful. Unconsciously, she walked over to where the balcony was, taking Minho along with her. As soon as she went outside and the fresh air of Seoul hit her face, she broke down. Minho held her as she let her tears out.

“I know how happy this is making you, Sulli-ah, just let it all out.” She nodded into his chest as he ran his fingers through her hair. “This is all ours now and I’ll make sure to keep you and our son happy here.”

Sulli looked up at him as a breeze came by and her hair danced with the wind. Minho had never seen her so beautiful. Sure, her eyes were full of tears, but it was a moment. A moment that made Minho let out a few tears of his own. Sulli just had to kiss him. He rarely ever cries and having seen him let out his tears touched her heart.

As they separated, Minho wiped her tears away, “I love you, Choi Sulli.”

Sulli giggled, “And I love you, Choi Minho.”

***

“What do you mean it’s time for him to take over the company?” Minho’s grandmother questioned her son.

“My wife and I had planned this long ago; to have him come live with us in New York, have him learn the way of the company and become the new CEO by the time he was 25. He’s like, 21 or something right now right?”

Grandmother scoffed, “You don’t even know your own son’s age? He’s 19. His birthday is coming up soon in 2 months.”

“Then it is perfect timing for him to move here now and get started! The earlier, the better!” Minho’s father exclaimed.

“He would never go to live with you and your wife, he hates you guys for abandoning him.” She hissed through the phone.

He scoffed, “My son will gladly come to us with open arms when he sees all of the money we have to offer and the life he could be living --”

“Everything isn’t about money, son,” Grandmother interjected, “ Money can’t make him happy. You and your wife never showed Minho any love and I believe it is too late.”

“No mother, you’re wrong. Money is the true meaning of happiness. My wife and I are living the life people can only dream of. We are truly happy so get this “love” business out of here. Let me meet with him myself and we’ll see what he decides.”

“Stay. Away. From. Him. You do not deserve to see him after shutting him out of your life the way you did. You don’t know what he likes or dislikes. You don’t know about the passion he has for soccer.”

Her son only laughed. “I can find out all of these things once he begins to live with me. I have my ways of figuring out where he is, mother. And I will find him, without your help.” Grandmother’s phone beeped a few times signaling that the phone call was now over. I need to warn Minho.

***

After the couple left the balcony, they continued to explore the rest of the apartment. Soon they stumbled across a door that had a piece of paper taped to it that read ‘Surprise!’

“This must be it, Minho!” Sulli wasted no time in opening the door and it was dark. To solve this, she flicked on the light switch. Inside was a beautifully decorated nursery. The walls were painted a pastel green, with tiny frogs around the t. The whole theme had to be frogs, Sulli guessed, but there wasn’t an overload of them, just subtle décor around the room.

“She had this all done for us, Minho, it’s so amazing,” She leaned her head on his shoulder as he slipped an arm around her waist.

“Yes, it really is amazing and cute too!” Minho grinned. Sulli examined his face for a few seconds and gasped.

“You kind of look like a frog, babe. I see where Grandma got her inspiration.” Minho’s eyes widened with playful anger. “Omo, you look like one even more now!” Sulli laughed so hard that she felt like the baby was going to pop out. She backed away from Minho a little while still laughing.

“Hey, where do you think you’re going? Come here,” he motioned for her to come closer.

“Nuh-uh, I don’t trust that grin you have on your face.”

“I won’t hurt you, I promise.”

“Nope.”

Sulli tries to move past him but to her dismay, he catches her in his arms and begins to tickle her.

“Ahaha! I’m sorry – I’m really sorry!” Sulli gets out in between laughs. Minho’s phone rings, which stops the torture fest. “Please thank whoever is calling for putting me out of my misery. I’m going to rest now, find me whenever you’re finished.” She pecks him on the cheek and leaves the nursery. He watches her leave with smile and answers the phone.

“Minho!” It was his grandmother. She sounded distressed. This made his smile fade away and worry began prominent on his face.

“Grandma, what’s wrong?”

“It’s your father; he wants to take you home with him to New York so that you can take over the company.”

Minho’s heart stopped for a second. “My…father?” Why? Why after all of these years does he finally want to show up? Just for his stupid company? That’s it?

“Yes dear. I know this must be a shock to you since he hasn’t been here all of these years, your mother also. I told him that you wouldn’t want to go with him since they abandoned you as a child and they have no right to.”

Minho was silent.

“Minho?” Grandmother said on the other line with worry in her voice.

“They aren’t my parents, grandmother. They never will be. They just dumped me with you. They don’t even care for me at all so why care for them?” Minho’s voice was as cold as ice.

“I agree. He says he will find you even without my help so please, protect yourself and Sulli.”

“I will not let him near Sulli or our son so don’t worry, grandmother. Thank you for the warning, I’ll keep us safe. Get some rest. I love you, bye.” He hung up and his breathing quickened as his blood began to boil.

Father, huh? More like stranger. I am not leaving Sulli or my son. I will not be like you and abandon my child. Try to take me to New York with you. Try. 

 

***

 

[a/n]: hello everyone! i am alive, just super busy so bear with me!

i will try to update as much as possible so please anticipate the next chapter.

oh, and btw, i dont appreciate comments that just say "update."

i want to know what you thought of the chapter so please leave some thoughts.

thank you, have a nice day~ ^^ - vanessa.