I Can't Be.. Can I?

Unexpected Family

 

Minho slowly begins to open his eyes. The first thing he feels is excruciating pain in his head. He scrunches his face up and rubs his head. The second thing he notices is that he is completely and also that the party is still going on. The music bumping through the walls was not helping his headache. He looks over and sees a clock that tells him it is 1:30 in the morning.
 
His eyes widen as he tries to remember how he got into this room. As he moves to put his clothes back on, he sees something shiny in the sheets. 
 
He slowly gets out of the bed but keeps his eyes on the glint shining from the sheets as he gets dressed. He can’t quite make out what it is since his head was pounding causing his vision to blur a bit. After being fully clothed, he picks up the shiny object. 
 
Right away, he recognizes what it is. 
 
***
 
“Hey oppa!” Minho looks up in the direction the voice is coming from and smiles. It was Sulli, speed-walking over to him, leaving Krystal quite a few steps behind. It was 2 years ago; sophomore year of high school. 
 
Sulli’s birthday was approaching and she wanted to get something special with her 2 close friends. She gave Minho a short, yet lingering hug and backed away so that Krystal could hug him. Sulli always felt a little jealous when they hugged. She never told them that though; they would think she was crazy.
 
They met up in this shop that made personal friendship bracelets. It was a pretty small shop but the quality was great. Minho showed the 2 girls a design that he’d been looking at. They both smiled. It was beautiful, yet simple; like their friendship.
 
The main color of it was burgundy, with a braided style. It had a shiny, metal center on it where you could engrave anything you want. They all decided to get their first initial inscribed into the metal part with black coloring. Minho paid for all 3 since it was something Sulli wanted. They left to go to the food court to order smoothies.
 
As they sat down, Minho pulls out the chair next to him and Krystal immediately takes it. Sulli was going to sit there but she just brushed it off. Krystal begins to act weird again like she has been lately around Minho. Sulli notices it, yet she doesn’t ask about it.
 
Sulli clears and they both look up. “So,” she began, “I think we should make some sort of pact since we are all getting bracelets.”
 
Krystal smiles excitedly, “Yeah! That sounds like fun~ We can see who will break the pact first!” Little did Krystal know, it was going to be her that breaks it.
 
Minho smiles and tilts his head to the side, “What did you have in mind, Sulli?”
 
Her heart always skipped a beat when he smiled at her while saying her name at the same time. She didn‘t know why she was feeling like this; jealousy when Minho hugs another girl and her heart skipping from his breathtaking smile. Did she by any chance, like Minho? 
 
“Sulli-ah?” Minho says to get Sulli back to reality. “Oh yeah! The pact, heh heh, sorry. Um, I was thinking that once we put the bracelets on, we must never take them off and if we do, our friendship will be broken.”
 
Minho & Krystal liked the idea and the challenge behind it so they all agreed. They each put a hand in the middle of the table and shouted ‘Fighting!’ 
 
Within the next three months, Sulli had developed feelings for Minho but she couldn’t tell him because Krystal had beaten her to it. She supported them, of course, because they were her friends but she felt hurt inside because she wanted him but she couldn‘t have him. And with that, she threw her feelings away for him and continued to be the good friend she is to the both of them.
 
***
 
He looks down at his wrist, he still hasn’t taken off his bracelet even though he and Krystal had broken up. He was still holding on when he knew he shouldn’t. The other part of him said that it wouldn’t be fair to Sulli if he took off since it was something he bought for them three and it was something she had wanted. 
 
Krystal had already taken the bracelet off the day of graduation, after the scene with Minho. Sulli’s was now in Minho’s hand and he was the only one left with his on. He never thought this friendship would fall apart like it has and it honestly made him sad.
 
Minho begins to wonder why the bracelet is here but his headache isn’t allowing him to think clearly. He shakes his head lightly and thinks harder. He stares at the bracelet and suddenly, a voice shows up in his head; it was Sulli’s.
 
I’m ready. Take me now.
 
And with that, Minho remembers everything that had happened that night between him and Sulli. He didn’t entirely regret it since he always had some type of feelings for her but all he could think about is where she could be right now. 
 
Despite his headache, he runs out of the room, out of the mansion, and towards Sulli’s house.
 
As he arrives to her house, it is all black. Duh, it would be, it’s ing 2 in the morning. But I have to see her, I have to talk to her. 
 
He calls her cell phone; it goes straight to voicemail. Minho doesn’t know what to do. After some pondering, he figures he can see her in the morning after she sees his message.
 
To: Ssul
Call me as soon as you see this, okay? I really need to talk to you about what happened between us. Please call. 
 
Minho walks mindlessly into the night; thinking about Sulli’s touch, the way her skin felt under his hands, and her kiss. He wants to tell her his true feelings but it looks like he has to wait until the morning. He takes her bracelet out of his pocket and begins to talk to it, “Sulli-ah, I thought my feelings for you were gone but they have been revived and I can’t wait to tell you how I feel in the morning.”
 
Too bad that he never gets the chance. 
 
Sulli wanted to get away; away from her hometown and away from Minho. She wanted to be done with high school, she wanted to be done with that chapter of her life. So, to begin a new chapter, she leaves first thing in the morning to go to America to visit her family and start over. 
 
Minho is disappointed to find out she left, and he blames himself. If he didn’t ask her to help relieve his stress, things may have turned out differently. Her parents told Minho that she asked them to tell no one where she went because she needed a break from everything and everyone. He thanked them for letting him know that she’s safe. He went back home to sort out everything in his mind and his heart.
 
I guess this is a sign that I must truly give up on my feelings for her. 
 
***
 
Sulli embraced change and new things and she began to slowly forget about everything that happened that night with Minho. She stays in the states for 2 months but comes back to move into her dorm with Krystal at University of Seoul. She doesn’t want Krystal to find out that she and Minho had slept together so she decides to keep this one thing from her best friend. 
 
“I can’t believe that we start college in just a few weeks, Ssul.” Sulli smiles at Krystal and responds but within her head only. Yes, it’s going to be awesome. Fresh start. New identity. Make new memories. Forget about mistakes. Ah, this will be great.
 
As Sulli bends down to grab some decorations for her side of the room, she begins to feel nauseous. She doesn’t pay much mind to it and continues to hang posters of her favorite groups on her wall. She reaches for more decorations and begins to feel worse. She has to sit down to keep the room from spinning.
 
Krystal was decorating the bathroom at the moment and is totally oblivious to how Sulli is feeling. “Hey Ssul! Where should to put the tampons? The right or left side of the shelf?”
 
Tampons? Tampons..
 
Sulli’s eyes widen at that word. She reaches for her favorite calendar with Lee Seung Gi on the cover in a hurry and flips it to July/August. She counts the days and it turns into 30 days. Her period is late by a month. Aish, how could I forget that I was supposed to have a period?!
 
At this point, she begins to put the pieces together. She is feeling nauseous and her period is a month late. I can’t be.. Can I? 
 
She gets up in a hurry and runs out the door as Krystal is asking another question, “Where should I put the condoms?” 
 
No answer. 
 
“Sulli?” 
 
No answer.
 
She walks out of the bathroom, “Yah, why aren’t you answering any questions? I’m--” She soon figures out that Sulli is gone. “Aish, where has she gone? We need to get this room done! Oh well, I’ll finish first. Hehe~” She skips back to the bathroom and continues to organize every little thing.
 
 
Sulli doesn’t get that far, actually. She has to stop by the nearest girl’s restroom to throw up. Ugh, what is happening to me? After a few minutes of empting her insides, she leaves the school campus and tries to find the nearest drug store.
 
She just wanders around for 20 minutes before actually asking for directions since she isn‘t familiar with Seoul. She has millions of thoughts running through her mind. 
 
Minho was the only person I have slept with in my life. I thought we used protection. 
 
Maybe it broke? Maybe I just have the stomach flu and it’s causing my period to be late. 
 
Yeah, that must be it.
 
Someone she had asked pointed her in the right direction as she arrives at a drug store. “Asa!” She walks inside and first looks for some pills for her stomach but she soon caves into buying 1, no 2, pregnancy tests. I just have to be completely sure it isn’t true.
 
As she goes to buy her items, the sales clerk gives Sulli a dirty look, Kids these days. Not being responsible and getting knocked up. The sales clerk still fakes a smile and hands her the bag of items, “Have a nice day~” Sulli smiles and bows to the woman, “Thank you, you too.”
 
Sulli steps outside the store and looks up into the cloudy sky and sighs, it’s time to find out the truth.