The only exception...

A Whisper

 

 

Bomi POV

     My eyes slowly open and I lift my head slightly before putting it back down because of the pain that was emanating from it.

     Was it a dream? I think to myself, very much hoping it was as I remember what happened before I went out.

     “You have a concussion. Try not to move that much.” I hear a cold voice from the corner of the room. My body instantly freezes. My heart sank because I knew that it wasn’t a dream…

     I slowly lift my body to see Baekhyun sitting in the corner of my bedroom with his arms wrapped around his knees. His eyes were glued to the floor. My head keeps telling me to be scared, and to run… but my legs won’t listen… my heart won’t listen… Yes, I should feel scared, but this was Baekhyun… He can’t possibly be a murderer… it can’t be possible…

     “What are you?” I ask as if he wasn’t even human. He doesn’t answer. I sigh and look down to see that my clothes were different. I look back at him wide eyed.

     “Did you change me?” I ask feeling embarrassed. I don’t even know why I was worried about that, but I was at a loss on what to do… what to ask…

     “I didn’t think you wanted to stay in those clothes. I changed you and burned those clothes. You won’t have to see them again.”

     I wanted to be angry at him… I wanted to slap him… We were defiantly not close enough for him to take off my cloths and touch my half body… but I couldn’t.

     It’s crazy but I felt thankful, because he’s right. I never want to see those clothes again.

     “Tell me what happened.” I wait patiently hoping that he will tell me something like, “It was self-defense” or something. But somehow I feel that’s not the case.

     “It’s better if you just forget about what you saw… Even if that’s impossible. And it would be even better if you forget about ever knowing me.” He says and stands and leaves my room. I quickly get out of my bed ignoring the pain and run and grab his arm.

     “How can I just forget?!” I yell. “You are someone I consider as my best friend! Someone who I consider as my oppa! You are someone I considered as family! You are someone that I…” my voice cuts off. You are someone that I love I think to myself as my eyes start to burn… and my heart starts to break.

     He doesn’t say anything. I try to hold back tears to no avail as a few roll down my cheeks.

     “I lost my sister… I don’t want to lose another person that I care about…” I say as more tears fall. My heart breaks even more when he turns to face me and stares at me with lifeless, cold eyes.

     I hate that look…

     It reminds me of my parents.

     “Don’t look at me like that.” I say. “You look emotionless… and cold.”

     “That’s what I am.” He says in an equally cold voice. “I have no feelings, or emotions.” He says and turns to walk away.

     “TELL ME WHY YOU DID IT!” I scream trying to find answers.

     “No.” he says and continues to walk.

     “Then I’m going to call the police!” I threaten hoping that would work… but it doesn’t.

     “Go ahead.” He says and walks out the door. As soon as the door closes I collapse and start to ball my eyes out… I cry until I pass out… again.


 

     It’s been a month, and he never came back.

     I had night mares every night. They were mostly about pools of blood. The others were about Baekhyun…

     They weren’t what you would consider as a night mare. If I had these kinds of dreams before, I would have been happy… They were about memories with each other; Him stealing my ramen or telling me his cheesy jokes. But for me they were scary… because at the end of them all was his cold, emotionless, dark stare.

     It scared me…

     “Bomi, are you okay? For the past month you seemed to be out of it.” My co-worker Eunji asks with a concerned expression.

    “Neh, I’m fine.” I lie and put on a fake smile and get back to work.

 

    I don’t really have any friends but I guess the closest one to a “friend” was Eunji. She was nice and always tried to invite me to places but I usually declined.

    I have always been reluctant to get too close to people because I didn’t want them to end up being like my parents. My parents completely dominated my life and never let me make friends. They taught me how to be alone…

    But I had my sister she was always there to listen to me… then she disappeared and it was like I was living in a dungeon. My parents never let me out….

    Things got better when they abandoned me. Part of me was happy because I didn’t have to live under them anymore, but a part of me was torn. Because I felt that I wasn’t worthy enough to receive their love…

    That’s when I decided to never get close to anyone. Because then I would never get hurt… then Baekhyun came into my life.

     He was so annoying at first. Always barging in without permission; stealing my food; forcing me to make Kimchi with him… He was so friendly… He reminded me of my sister.

     He was my best friend…

     He was the bright light that took out all the darkness…

     He was the warmth that blew away the cold…

     He was the exception…

     He is, the exception...

     The only one I allowed in…

     The one who opened my heart…

     And then crushed it…

 

 


 

     The night was chilly and the cold breeze hits my face as I walk home. I climb the stairs and reach my door and take out my keys.

     I glance towards Baekhyun’s apartment and stare for a minute or two. Sighing deeply I lower my head.

     I hear a slight tap and look up to see a hand lying on the ground coming out of the indented wall.

     I gasp and run over to see Baekhyun leaning against it.

     “Baekhyun!” I yell as tears form. I touch his arm and pull back as I see blood coming from it.

     “Oh my god!” I yell and try to wake him up.

     “Baekhyun!” he doesn’t respond. I lift up my hand and check his pulse. It was beating quickly. I sigh in relief knowing he was still alive.

     I get up and run to my door and open it and use a plant to prop it open. I run back to Baekhyun and gently try to put him on my back. Finally I was able to lift him up and somehow make it to the living room. I lay him down as gently as possible. I run back to the door and close it then grab a pair of scissors from my room. I’m able to get his jacket off but I had to cut his shirt. I gasp as I see a long wound cutting across his stomach and up to his chest and then to his upper left arm.

     “Oh my god!” I scream and I start to cry while clasping my mouth with shaking hands.

     I quickly gather myself and get the medical kit and begin to clean out his wound to assess the damage. I am relieved to see it’s not too deep, or at least not immediately life threatening, but I still need to stitch him up in some parts.

     I finish up and gently raise his body to a sitting position so that I can wrap his torso. His head accidently falls on my shoulder and my heart skips a beat. My face starts to get warm, and I notice that his is too. In fact his entire body was burning up.

     He has a fever…

     I quickly finish and get blankets from the closet and with much difficulty get him situated in them. I go to the kitchen and fill a large bowl with cold water and then put some ice in it and grab a cloth and head back towards him.

     I dip the towel; wring it and place it on his fore head. I go back to the kitchen and fill a glass with water and then grab aspirins and go back to him.

     I lift his head and place it on my knee.

     “Baekhyun.” I say softly while trying to slip the pill into his mouth. “Open your mouth.” I plead and luckily his mouth opens enough for me to slip it in.

     “Drink the water.” I say softly holding his head up to the rim of the glass. I slowly tilt the glass until the water touches his lips. To my relief he opens his mouth and starts to drink. He leans his head back and I place the glass down and slowly place his head back on to the pillow.


 

     I stay up all night and change his cloth whenever it turned warm. I wipe away his sweet whenever it dropped.

     It was morning now and I decide to call my work and ask for a few days off which they grant.

     It was evening now and his fever was pretty much gone. I was so tired but I was afraid to fall asleep. I was scared that if I did he would be gone when I woke up…

     It was now 4 a.m. and my head was bobbing. I decide to grab the sheets from my bed and place them next to him. I rest my head next to his shoulder and grip his hand tightly and bring it close to my chest. It was awkward but I didn’t care. He already pretty much violated me a month ago and there was no way I was going to let that hand go. I close my eyes and fall asleep still griping that hand tightly.


 

No one’s POV

     Baekhyun slowly opens his eyes. He winces as the rising sun shines through the window and beats on his face. He feels that his arm is warm and looks to his right and see’s Bomi with her head barely touching his shoulder and his hand firmly pressed against her chest. His eyes open wide and he looks around and sees that he was in her apartment.

     “What am I doing here?” he whispers to himself. He remembers stumbling down the street after getting injured and he ended up at his old apartment. He was trying to go in when his body finally gave out… She must have seen me.

     He sighs and shakes his head. The cloth fell on to his shoulder and he picked it up looks at it. He sees the bowl of water. I must have had a fever. He thinks to himself. He turns and looks at her again. She shifts a little and presses his hand deeper into her chest.

     “Aish… no shame.” He says and turns his head away. He tries to release his hand which was asleep from lack of circulation but her grip was too tight. He could release it by force but he didn’t want to wake her. He gives in and slowly rolls on his side to face her, wincing because of the pain on his chest and arm. He lays there and stares at her.


 

     “You got skinnier fatty… Don’t you eat?” he says quietly. He brings his free hand up and moves the hair out of her face and notices her eye brows were furrowed. He takes his index finger and rubs in between them until they start to relax.

     She starts to mumble something. Baekhyun brings his face closer to try and hear what she’s saying.

     “Don’t go.” She whispers. “Don’t!” She yells and shoots up still holding his hand. She starts breathing heavily and puts her other hand on her head. He watches as she rubs her face and sighs.

     Sorry… Baekhyun thinks to himself knowing it is most likely because of him.

     “Baekhyun!” She suddenly yells and looks down. She lifts her hand which was still holding his hand and sighs while smiling. She turns around and sees Baekhyun staring at her. “Baekhyun!” she yells and releases his hand and grabs his face.

     Tears start to form because she was relieved that he finally woke up.

     “Are you okay?” she chokes out, tears falling. Baekhyun’s mouth slightly opens. He was shocked that she was so worried about him. How can she be like this after she witnessed him murdering someone? She doesn’t even know why he did it yet she is not afraid… I don’t understand her.

     “Can you speak?” she asks when he doesn’t respond. He just stares in silence. She starts to get scared because he doesn’t respond.

     “Do you know where you are? Do you know who you are?” he doesn’t answer. “Do you know who I am?” she asks. He sees fear increase in her face as she starts to cry harder.

     “You’re so annoying.” He says and pushes her hands off. He slowly brings himself up to a sitting position. Her eyes were wide open and her eyebrows furrow. She looked like she wanted to hit him but she doesn’t. Instead she lunges at him wraps her arms around him and buries her face into his neck and cries loudly.

     “T-thank g-god!” she yells as she cries. “YOU !” she yells as she squeezes him harder and cries louder. Baekhyun sighs and wraps his arms around her and pats her back.

     “I’m sorry.” He says this time aloud instead of to himself.

     He never wanted to show up in front of her again, so that she could maybe forget at least a little. But now he knew he couldn’t disappear again. He couldn’t stand the thought of her being like this all alone with no one here…


 

     After what seemed like forever to Baekhyun, Bomi calms down and releases him.

     “By the way, did you change me?” Baekhyun asks as he looks at the fresh clothes he was wearing.

     “Payback.” Bomi says while taking the bowl of water into the kitchen. He chuckles to himself and rolls his eyes.

 

To be continued...


 

 

Hope you liked the chapter!

Leave some feedback!

Subscribe if you like it!