What is love?

A Whisper

 

Bomi POV

“YES!” I yell when I successfully complete a move.

“Good job! You’re learning fast!”

“You better watch out Taemin! Soon I’ll be able to beat you in a match!”

He laughs and nods.

“I’d like to see you try.” I smile at him and he pats my head. “Okay you better head to your session.” I sigh and wipe the sweat off my forehead.

“I don’t like going to those they don’t work.” I complain.

“Your accident wasn’t exactly pretty Bomi it’ll take time.”

“Yeah but it feels like she doesn’t want me to remember. All she says is ‘make new memories’ like what the hell?” He laughs and pats my head again.

“People make new memories every day.”

“Yeah and most have more than two months of memory.” He sighs while smiling.

“Ok no more complaining. Go before you’re late.” I sigh and get up.

“Fine.” I complain and wave before leaving.

 


 

“Have you been doing well Bomi?”

I lay down on the couch. I really, really dislike going to these things.

“I’ve been doing okay. I haven’t been able to remember anything though.”

“You were in a severe accident. It will take time for it to come back.”

“I feel like it never will.”

“That’s not entirely a bad thing. You can make new memories.”

 

I’m not a psychiatrist but aren’t they supposed to help you regain memories. She never pushes me or gives advice on how to remember. It’s like she doesn’t want me to.

To be honest, I don’t trust her at all. Actually, this entire place feels weird.

They tell me that I was an agent who protected the country. But I don’t have any memories of doing such a thing.

Yes I have amnesia but, shouldn’t it feel… familiar?

They tell me that I must have forgotten all my combat knowledge but, I remembered how to speak in over 20 something different languages, my math and science scores are through the roof, geography, politics, art, medicine, business… you name it. My brain knows it.

They tell me it’s because a certain part of my brain was damaged but, my brain wasn’t the one hurt. I was dead for five hours so that could be the reason for the damage but, to only my memory and combat skills?

They told me I was dead for five hours. Which naturally is impossible to come back from but I know that I am much different than other people. I was told that I was a part of an experiment that would make me into a super soldier. I was also told that I’m the only one that the experiment worked on.

They tell me a lot of things… Things that I don’t entirely believe. They are nice to me and everyone is friendly and some act like we’re longtime friends but… the only one familiar is Taemin. When I saw him, I felt like I might have known him. Everyone else felt like a complete stranger.

My roommate Joohyun, supposedly was my best friend… but for some reason I don’t like her.

They tell me she was the one that found me and brought me back.

I should be thankful right?

So why do I feel like her finding me and bringing me back here… is wrong?

 

The only one I trust is Taemin and for whatever reason, I feel like I can trust Sunny too. Everyone says the only one she cares about is Taemin, but I feel like she’s watching out for me.

 

 

“I wonder why I’m able to remember facts but not the things that actually matter.”

“What do you mean?”

“I can’t remember how I know everyone. I can’t remember all the happy feelings and hard times we’ve ‘shared’ while training.”

“They will come back. If not you can make new experiences.”

 

There she goes. It’s the same thing every time… just make new memories. New experiences.

I don’t want new. I want to remember, and there’s no way that can happen with her.

 

“I’m tired.” I say and stand up.

“We haven’t talked about how your training is going.”

“It’s going great.” I say and leave.

 


 

“You’re back early.” Joohyun says when I walk into our room.

“Didn’t have much to say.” She nods and continues what she was doing. I sit on my bed and stare at her. “Who’s Lay?” I ask. She freezes and slowly looks up and smiles.

“Who?”

“Lay. I heard his name while leaving the training center. Who is he?” Her eyes shift a bit.

“He used to be an agent.”

“Used to be?”

“Yes, he’s dead.” She says and looks away.

“How did he die?” She clears

“A terrorist killed him.” I nod not really believing her. The way they were talking didn’t sound like he was dead.

“Did I know him?”

“No.”

“Who was the terrorist?” I ask. She hesitates. My stare intensifies. Just who the hell is Lay and why is everyone secretive about him?

 

*knock! Knock!*

 

I get up and open the door.

“Taemin!” I say and smile. “What are you doing here?” He smiles mischievously and holds up a paint gun.

 


 

The teams are split into three. Me, Taemin and Sunny. The opposite is Joohyun, and two other agents I train with, Leo and Yuri.

“Just cause you’re a super don’t for a second believe it will be easy!” Leo warns mockingly to me.

“I hope so! I don’t want this to be boring if you die so quickly!” I yell back. He smirks and points at me then gives me a thumbs down. I stick my tongue out and smile.

“Okay! Let’s go!” Yuri yells excitedly and we start the game.

 

I really like paintball because I don’t have many opportunities to go outside. On days we play soccer we end up staying out for hours then get scolded for it.

We usually play 5 point games. Shot to the head is automatic death so 5 points. Chest is 4, stomach is 3, back is 2, and arms and legs are 1 point each. The catch is that you have to make it exactly 5 so if you shoot the chest and stomach it doesn’t count so it is an automatic re-birth and you are not out. This makes it interesting and it is great training for aim.

“Damn Bomi! You’re really good at this for having amnesia!” Leo says and playfully hits my arm.

“It has nothing to do with physical strength. It’s all math. The wind speed, angle, distance and height. It is very easy to calculate moves and probability.”

“There you go with that big brain of yours!” Yuri complains. I stick my tongue out and she does the same.

“You guys are just mad you lost!” Taemin mocks. “Now cough it up!” he yells and we all hold our hands out to them. They sigh and try to pick fights but eventually give us the money.

“Yes!” I yell and sniff the money mockingly. Yuri playfully punches my arm and I laugh.

“Let’s go eat!” Yuri yells and we all agree.

 


 

No one’s POV

“Baekhyun… it’s time to move on.” Lay says when he sees Baekhyun still in front of the computers he’s been at for hours now.

“Move on from what?”

“She’s gone.”

“No she’s not. She was alive when you dragged me away.”

“There’s no way she could have survived that.”

“She’s alive Lay, and they have her. I’m going to get her back… even if it kills me.”

“And just throw away all you’ve worked for?”

“I’m not throwing away anything. She made me promise to take that damn place down and I will. And I’ll get her back too. If you don’t like that then I suggest you leave.”

Lay sighs and sits down.

“I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t intend to help. I just… I just don’t want you getting your hopes up about her.”

“She’s alive.”

“Why do you believe that so much?”

“She’s incredibly smart.”

“So what? Being smart wouldn’t save her.”

“That’s not my point. She is too smart to be a normal person. Her sister was an agent like us. Her parent’s worked there.”

“Whisper brings in orphans Baekhyun.”

“No. Whisper makes orphans and then recruits them for their own cause.” Lay sighs and doesn’t say anything because he knows that part is true.

“Lay, ever since that day my thoughts have been filled with nothing but her. I dream about her every night, I think about all our memories and there are things I’m remembering that I didn’t notice before. She knows more than the human brain is even capable of processing. I don’t ever remember seeing scars on her. It’s as if she’s never been cut or scrapped. This one time when a guy tried to force himself one her she scrapped her elbow. Now that I think about it, it didn’t bleed as much as it should have.”

“You’re manipulating yourself into believing these things.”

“So what if I am? All I know is that her family is all involved with Whisper. And her sister was very determined that I protect her. I’ve never seen her fearful but when she talked about her sister… It’s like she knew what bad would come if Bomi was with her parents.” Lay furrows his eyebrows while thinking about it. “Not to mention all this talk about 3 and 4… if I’m 3 and she’s 4 that means she is like me.”

“I forgot about that…” Lay says starting to believe it.

“Besides, you and I both know she should have died much more quickly than she did that day.” Baekhyun says and looks away painfully.

Lay looks up at him. He can’t say anything because he knows that’s true. She shouldn’t have been able to yell and scream like she did. She shouldn’t have been able to even move. Yet she did.

That has been circling around Lay’s mind ever since he got Baekhyun to safety… Every day he thinks about it and wonders what would have happened if they pulled the metal out of her, and took her with.

 


 

Bomi POV

“Yes coffee!” Leo says and walks over to it like he hasn’t had it in years.

“Addict.” I joke and giggle.

“The proper term is junkie.” Taemin teases.

“No man the proper term is love.” Leo says and takes a long sniff of the coffee and smiles.

“Love?” Taemin says with a chuckle.

“Yeah.” Leo responds.

“What is love Leo? I didn’t know you knew wh…….”

 

A spark runs through my body and furrow my eyebrows as I hear a voice sing in my head. I turn around to see where it’s coming from but don’t see anyone singing… it’s just, in my head.

 

~What is love~

 

I hear a soothing warm voice echo in my head causing it to hurt. I bring my hand to my head and lose my balance slightly.

“Are you okay?” Taemin asks worriedly as he grabs me to keep my balance.

“Yeah… I think… I just… I heard singing.”

“No one was singing.” Leo says. I can hear the worry in his voice.

“Bomi your nose is bleeding.” Yuri says and quickly grabs a napkin that Taemin takes from her and hold up to my nose.

“I’ll take you to the nurse.” He says and quickly grabs my hand and starts pulling me along.

 

 


 

“Is she okay?” Taemin asks with worry all over his face.

“Everything is fine I think she is just tired so I recommend you get some rest.” She says and I bow.

“Thank you.” I say. Taemin puts his hand on my back and leads me out of the room.

“Are you sure you feel fine?” He asks.

“Yeah, I still have a slight headache but it’s probably because I’m tired like she said.” He nods.

“You said you heard singing?” He asks.

“Yeah… I think it might have been a bit of my memory trying to come out.” His eyes widen.

“You think?” He asks. I take notice of the weird tone of his voice.

“Maybe… Is something bothering you?” I ask him and he looks at me with a confused expression. “You’re tone changed I thought something was bothering you.”

“Oh, no everything is fine. I’m probably just tired too.” He says and laughs. I laugh with him as he opens the door to my room. “I wonder where Joohyun went, she disappeared after the game.”

“Who knows?” I say in an uncaring manner. To be honest I’m glad she’s not in the room. Maybe I can get rest without feeling uncomfortable.

He stays until I get in my bed and tucks me in like I’m some child. He’s done this many times and no matter how many times I complain he still does it. It must have been something we always did in the past that I don’t remember.

 


 

~Tell me what is love~

.........

My arm is bleeding…. He’s fixing it.

 

“Your taste in men is terrible.”

“He was what you call a stalker.”

“Well you attract the weird ones…”

 

His bright smile

....

“See you tomorrow.”

............

Again his bright smile... It looks so warm

.....

~Happily ever after~

.........

Cake… there’s cake on the ground…

“I love… love… love…y…yo…you… you”

......

~Tell me what is love~

.....

“BOMI!”

 

 

I wake up abruptly and gasp for air.

My chest is tight and painful and tears stream down my eyes.

 

I quickly jump out of my bed and dash for Taemin’s room, wiping my tears as I go.

When I reach I start knocking desperately. He opens the door wide eyed.

“Bomi what’s wrong?”

“I think I’m remembering something!!” I yell and give a smile even though my heart still hurts and I still feel like crying. “But I can’t make any sense of it.” I cough and bring my hand to my chest and let out a cry.

“Are you okay?!” He asks worriedly and grabs my arm.

 

~What is love~

 

I hear the singing again and start to feel dizzy…

 


 

“…”

My head hurts…

“…mi”

Where am I?

“Bomi.”

I open my eyes and see Taemin sitting beside my bed.

“What’s going on?” I ask. I look over at Joohyun who was sitting at her desk. She gives me a smile and turns around to continue working on whatever she was doing.

“You passed out at lunch.” He says quickly. “Get some rest.” He pats my head and gets up and leaves the room. I furrow my eyebrows.

 

“What was he in such a hurry about?” I ask Joohyun.

“Mission.” She says simply without looking at me. I sigh

 


 

No one’s POV

“Are you sure this worked?” Taemin asks Gain.

“Yes I’m sure. It’s not hard to wipe someone’s memory Taemin.” He sighs and sits down. “What I don’t understand is why you aren’t helping her to remember. I was pretty sure I would have to put in an order to take you out by now.”

“Things are safer for her here… not with him.”

“If I had known you would were going to fall in love with her I wouldn’t have made you her back then. I thought you were the least likely to fall in love.”

“Yeah and I didn’t know you had people stuck in white rooms for their whole life and then lie to people that they used to be an agent who got injured.” She smiles. “And  I certainly didn’t expect that you would plant fake memories in her head making her believe she had parents and a sister… and then send her off into the world… and then erase my memories of her… I guess I should be lucky that you messed up and the only thing I forgot was what she looked like.” She laughs and sits down.

“That’s where you are mistaken Taemin. While I did erase your memories of her I was not the one to plant memories in her mind and send her off… Why in the hell would I do something as risky as that? I was perfectly happy with where she was at… In that small room with no knowledge of ever having parents or a sister. She was a blank slate then all of a sudden she has family?”

“You did it to Baekhyun didn’t you? Make him believe he had a life and family until the age of six? Make him believe that you guys took him in after his parent’s death even though he never had any and he was here the whole time?”

“That was an experiment. Number 5 is much more powerful than 6 and that shouldn’t be possible. Number 6 is sitting in one of those white rooms right now with nothing to do but stare at her own reflection while number 5 has been out in the world since he was four. And now he’s running around with his little freedom fighters causing problems for us. It’s clear that real world experiences make them stronger. Number 5 can destroy us easily and everyone sat around acting like he’s not a problem since we had number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. I’m not a fool I know better than to think like that… So I gave Baekhyun memories… let him function like a normal agent… he become so much powerful than he would of in that hole… But Chorong betrayed us and sent Bomi away and convinced Baekhyun into going against us… I realized that with just that little bit of freedom… they start to think for themselves. So until Chorong is killed I will not attempt to give any of the others memories.”

“What are you going to do if 5 attacks before you do that?”

“6 is his sister, their powers don’t work in those white rooms. If I lure him into walking in hers he will be trapped.”

“He’s taken down many organizations I’m sure he’s not that easy to be trapped.”

“We’ll see.”

Taemin mentally scoffs.

“What kind of abilities do the others have?”

“1 and 2 can read minds and speak to people without ever opening their mouths. They could make someone believe they're insane for thinking they're hearing voices in their head thats not there. They also have the ability to hear things at amazing distances. 3 and 4 as you already know have superior strength and intelligence. They are the perfect soldiers. 5 and 6… they have the ability to manipulate water, fire, wind, they can touch something or someone and see its past and future … 5 and 6… they should have been put down the moment they were born… but of course not everyone agrees with me on that… They think 5 is scary to have loose out there but if 6 was out there instead of 5… She has the power to do so much more than 5.”

Taemin watches her stare off into space. This is the first time he has ever seen her with fear on her face.

“How did number 5 escape anyways? He was only four.”

“When those type of children are born their parents are supposed to immediately be executed… they are never meant to see the baby.”

“So they do have parents.”

“No only carriers. The embryos are genetically engineered. The doctor who delivered 5 and 6 was in love with their carrier. After delivering the children he decided he wanted to stop what was going on. He saved the mother and hid her. When the boy turned four the doctor took him and ran off. He was unable to take 6. We hunted him down and killed them five years later but the boy was nowhere to be found. Until he started taking down corrupt organizations across the globe. One of these days we will be next.”

He decides to ask one more question

“Why are you telling me all of this willingly? Isn’t it classified?

“I’m telling you all this Taemin, so you will realize just how sensitive the situation is… and I think you’re smart enough, to know that if you compromise this… she will not live, to see another minute. Think of it as a warning.”

He sits there for a few seconds before getting up to leave the room.

“Like I said, she’s safer here.” He says and turns to leave.

“I’m glad you realize that.” He leaves the room without looking back. Once the door closes he takes a deep breath and sighs… cursing under his breathe.

 

 


 

 

 

 

Hope you liked the chapter!

Leave some feedback!

Subscribe if you like it!