Nagging feeling

A Whisper

 

Bomi POV

    It was hard to sleep. I was going through all the things he told me. It was really hard to believe but it for some reason… I believed ever bit of it…. And I have this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that tells me that my parents are a part of Whisper… and since they’re doctors, it’s not hard to tell what they do there…

     After hours of thinking and trying to ignore that Baekhyun was sleeping next to me and hugging me… I finally fall asleep.


 

     I wake up and look to my side and see that Baekhyun wasn’t there. I jump out of bed and go to the living room and don’t see him. Just as I was getting worried I hear a clank in the kitchen.

     I go in and see him cooking breakfast… or at least trying.

     “What are you doing?” he jumps and turns around.

     “Aish… Don’t scare me like that!” he complains and turns his attention back to the food.

     “I thought you couldn’t be scared.” I say and stood next to him.

     “I’m human too!” he says with a pout. “…or at least I was…” he mumbles to himself lowly… but I heard it clearly. I quickly look away because his expression was going soulless again, and I was feeling guilty… I didn’t want to ruin the atmosphere any more than what it already was but… I need to know the rest.

     “We… should continue from last night… like why you killed that man… and why you can’t go outside… and why you were hurt so badly…” I bring myself to look at him. He nods.

     “First, we eat, and then talk later.” He says with a smile and puts the food on the plates.


 

     We finish eating and before I could ask he starts to talk.

     “What do you want to know?”

     “Why did you kill that man?” I ask.

     “He deserved it.” He says and sighs.

     “Why?” I ask wondering what he did.

     “He was a murderer… he killed innocent children for the fun of it.” He says clenches his fist slightly. My eyes widen slightly. “Don’t ask what he did to them… it will give you nightmares that will never leave…”

     I nod my head in understanding. I don’t want to know either…

     “Also he works for an organization that provides services to Whisper. They track people down who try to go into hiding from that place.” I nod.

     “So, were you tracking down someone else who is like that when you got hurt?”

     “Something like that… The man you saw me kill was assigned to the job to die.”

     “Huh?”

     “They knew I would catch on to him, they sent him in to die.”

     “Why would they do that?” I ask confused.

     “Don’t know, don’t care. He was probably attracting too much attention from his extracurricular activities…”

     “What if it was a trap?” I ask wondering why he would go after him knowing that.

     “Because there is no way they would use him… I know they didn’t even expect him to find me… and he only found me because I allowed him to.”

     “Huh? Why would you do that?” I slightly yell angered at his recklessness.

     “Because I had a message for the person he was in contact with… I wanted them to know they will no longer be able to comfortably do what they do.” I sigh not fully accepting that as a reason. I decide to ask something else.

     “So did they send in someone else to track you?”

     “Yes, but this time I didn’t know that the guy was someone they sent in. I got a tip that a huge human trafficker was coming to Seoul so I decided to pay him a visit… but at the airport when he was coming out of the gate I was going to follow him and I saw someone else exit that I noticed from when I was back at Whisper. I never meet him but his face was up on a computer screen for a second once, and I noticed him instantly… and that’s when I saw two other agents that I used to work with in the past disguised. So I got out of there but I was careless and didn’t notice that another one was following me… she moved like a ghost and hopped around like a cat… Anyways one thing lead to another and I was cut with one of her blades.”

     “How did you get away?” I ask.

     “Well it’s a lot easier getting away from people when you know who you’re looking out for… but one of them I used to work with saw me and then  turned the other way and lead them away from me…”

     “Why did he do that?” I ask confused. “I thought the whole point was to kill you.”

     “We were best friends… maybe nostalgia… maybe he trusts me more, I don’t know.”

     I nod my head trying to wrap my head around things.

     “So is that why you can’t go outside?”

     He nods his head and sighs.

     “I shouldn’t have even come here… it puts you in danger. These agents aren’t mediocre… they are the best. If they had been altered… they would probably be better than I am.” I shudder at the thought and thank god that it didn’t work on them…

 

     “So you don’t know what the place is called that took you in?” I ask remembering yesterday and how he said he didn’t know what the place was called. He shakes his head.

     “We were never told… but in the main control room the words “M.A.M.A were written on the wall. I don’t know what it was for but I started to call that place MAMA until I was transferred into project Whisper.” There were a few moments of silence. Then I remember something that my stomach churn as I remember my parents had on their desk a long time ago… it was a card with M.A.M.A on it… anger starts to build.

 

     “I want to help.”

     “What?”

     “I want to help you bring these people down.”

     “No. I already let you see and know something you shouldn’t. I never wanted you to know about all this. I will not allow you to get involved any deeper.”

     “Baekhyun… I’m already involved too deep.”

     “Bomi… these people are dangerous… I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if anything happened to you.” My eyes slightly go wide and I start to blush.

     “T-then teach me how to fight!”

     “No. I won’t involve you. And it’s not just knowing how to fight… your mind has to be just as strong if not stronger… Someone at your age should be going to college. Think about that.”

     “I already have many college degrees.”

     His eyes open wide.

     “What?!”

     “I may seem stupid to you but my mind works faster than most… I have degrees in world languages, math, science, medicine, arts, geography, business, anthro…”

     “Okay okay!” he says interrupting me. “I get it! How is that even possible… you’re only 19.” He asks in shock. I lowered my head and sighed.

     “I’ve always been able to absorb any information given to me… and keep it… no matter how hard I try I can’t forget things when I learn them…”

     “How do you not live in some big fancy house with some high end job?”

     She sighs deeply.

     “Because I don’t want be around people who expect you to be the best… and even if you are… they still expect more out of you… that’s how my parents raised me, and I had enough of that life..” He nods his head. In a way he understood what she meant. After some silence she lifts her head and breaks it.

     “My mind won’t be a problem… so just teach me how to fight, and let me help you.”

     After couple of minutes of him sighing he finally nods.

     “Okay.” He says quietly

     “Thank you.” I say and smile. He looked like something was eating at him.

     “What’s wrong?” I ask worried.

     “Look… just because they are murderers… It doesn’t mean killing then is right… I don’t want you to think that killing is okay… because it’s not… I don’t want you to ever kill anyone, okay?” he says and looks at me seriously.

     “Okay.” I say and nod. “… but what you did wasn’t all that wrong, I would have done the same thing Baekhyun.” I say and stare back.

     “No, you wouldn’t have Bomi… you and me are different. You have a soul… I don’t… Nor do I have empathy or emotions.” After hearing him say that I felt a sting in my chest. What he said kept echoing in my head.

     “Don’t ever say that again.” I say in a serious tone. He looks at me in confusion at the sudden change.

     “What do you mean?”

     “Don’t you ever say that you don’t have a soul, or emotions, or empathy!”

     “I don’t Bomi.”

     “Is that what they told you there?!” I yell. He just stares at me and doesn’t respond.

     “I’m not sure what they brain washed you with, but you have empathy! If you didn’t you wouldn’t be avenging those children! And if you had no emotions, you wouldn’t feel remorse for murdering those innocent people at Whisper! Or feel anger when innocent people get hurt!  And if you had no soul….”

     I take my hand and put it against his chest.

     “… Your heart wouldn’t be beating… and you wouldn’t feel so warm.” I say with tears streaming down my face. It upsets me that he thinks of himself this way.

     He stares into my watery eyes for a few seconds and the sighs deeply

     “You’re an idiot.” He says and grabs my wrist and pulls me into a hug. “You know I hate you sometimes right?” he asks and pats my back. “Stop crying.”

     She tries to break the hug but he wouldn’t let her. He didn’t want to her to see the tears stinging his own eyes… he thought he was alone in this battle, but he knows now that that’s not true…

     “B-Baekhyun.” I say quietly.

     “What?”

     “Who were the people who did the experiments on you?” I ask.

     “I’m not sure. It was some women and her husband.”

     I felt my stomach sink as the nagging feeling got stronger.

     “I think I know who they are…” he breaks the hug and looks into my eyes with confusion.

     “What are you talking about… who?”

     “I think they’re my mom and dad.”

 

To be continued....


 

 

Hope you liked the chapter!

Leave some feedback!

Subscribe if you like it!