Ring

Love after Marriage

 

Ena was getting impatient with MyungSoo. He had been in the bathroom for more than thirty minutes and they were running late for his father’s party. Ena knocks on the door again.

“Yah, hurry. I have to use it too!”

“There are three other bathrooms in this house!” MyungSoo yells through the door.

“What are you doing in there anyways?”

“Business. Now leave.”

 

Ena hit the door one more time before leaving the room to go use the bathroom on the other side of the hall.

 

In the bathroom MyungSoo was sitting on the cover toilet looking at his palm. It was a ring. The other day while he was accompanying her to get a dress he saw the ring and remember she haven’t receive a ring from him yet so he bought it secretly. Now he wasn’t sure of how he would give her this ring. Should he just hand it to her coolly or should he hide it in her food? But what if she ate it?  Should he get on his knees? But it would be embarrassing. He shook his head. He didn’t know what to do and it was frustrating.

 

Ena finish changing and came back to find MyungSoo still not out of the bathroom yet. She walks over to the door and knock.

 

“Are you okay? Should I come in there?”

“No, I-I-I I’m done.”

 

MyungSoo slip the ring into his pocket and walk out of the bathroom.

 

“I must have eaten to much this morning.”

“You barely ate anything.”

“I did.”

Ena walks up to him and put a tie around his neck. “Are you feeling better?” She started to tie the tie.

“Much better” He looks down at Ena concentrating on the tie. “You’re getting better at this.”

“Really?” Ena looks up and stared into his eyes. “I had to watch five youtube videos on how to do this.” Ena adjust the tie and she was done.

MyungSoo laughs. “Babo.”

 

Ena sat on the bed and started putting on her heels. She didn’t feel like arguing back so she decided to ignore it. MyungSoo walks up to her and kneels down in front of her.

 

“Shall I help?” MyungSoo raise her right feet up and slip the heel on.

“Why are you so nice to me?” Ena asks looking at him.

“Because…”

“Because?”

He pouts thinking about it. “Well I’m supposed to be nice to you. We’re married.”

“You weren’t nice to me when I first moved in.”

“That was long ago though.”

“It’s been eight months.”

“Eight months is a long time.” MyungSoo slips on the other heel.

“Do you think we can do this forever?” Ena asks.

“What?” MyungSoo looks up.

“Marriage.”

“Why not? My parents have been married since they were sixteen. DooJoon and JiHyun have been married for four years. We can last too.”

Ena sighs. “But…they got married because they wanted to.” Ena’s eyes couldn’t look at MyungSoo anymore. She fixes her gaze at the floor. “They love each other.”

MyungSoo turns his head, he couldn’t look at her either. “Do you love me?”

Ena shrug her shoulders. She had never been in a relationship before. She didn’t know what or how to love. “I don’t know.”

MyungSoo clears his throat and stood up. He was kind of hoping she had said yes. “We better get going.”

 

----

 

Ena locks arm with MyungSoo and followed him around to greet the guest. She had seen most of them before when they came for the party MyungSoo’s parent had threw her when she first arrived so she wasn’t so nervous. After greeting and having small talk here and there she finally got away from MyungSoo’s side and got time to herself. Ena saw JiHyun by herself by the door and decided to go join her.

 

“How’s it going?” JiHyun greeted her.

“Okay, I don’t even remember half of the people I was introduce to.”

“It’s okay you’ll get use to it.” JiHyun was about to take another sip of her cocktail but stop. “OMG”

“What?” Ena turn her attention to where ever JiHyun was looking at.

“What is she doing here?” JiHyun pointed to the girl in front of the big window looking down. She was beautiful with long hair and tall.“Her name is Suzy. MyungSoo and her dated before.”

Ena couldn’t take her eyes off Suzy. “Why did they break up?” She was such a beauty, if Ena was MyungSoo she was sure she wouldn’t let her go.

“She cheated on him. I caught her with her science partner. MyungSoo’s parents were very disappointed since they really wanted her as a daughter in law.”

 

Ena searched the room for MyunSoo and found him making his way over to Suzy.

 

“Unnie, he’s going over to her.”

“Go over there.” JiHyun push Ena forward. “Let her know he’s taken.”

“I’m sure they won’t…” Ena saw Suzy hug MyungSoo. Ena started making her way through the crowd. “MyungSoo.” Ena walks up to the two.

“Where have you been?” MyungSoo held out his hand to hold hers. “This is my friend Suzy.” MyungSoo introduce her.

“Hi, and you are?” Suzy asks.

“Ena.” MyungSoo answers.

“She is your?” Suzy asks.

MyungSoo turns to look at Ena. “Wife.”

“You’re married?” Suzy asks surprised.

“Yeah, we actually have a baby.”

“Congratulations when are you due?” Suzy asks Ena.

“Oh, she’s nine months.” Ena answers awkwardly.

“Oh…wow. You two must have rushed the wedding and all huh.” Suzy laughs.

 

Ena look away, it wasn’t funny to her. She felt threaten by Suzy. Was she making fun of her? MyungSoo tighten his grip on her hand.

 

“It was great seeing you Suzy.” MyungSoo lead Ena away.

“How could you have dated someone like her?” Ena retreats her hand from MyungSoo’s grip.

“How did you know?” MyungSoo follows Ena out of the party hall.

“JiHyun told me.” Ena pick up her pace.

“Yah wait for me. Where are you going?” MyungaSoo started walking faster.

“I’m just going to the ladies room. Stay there.” Ena shoo MyungSoo away and ran into the bathroom.

 

Ena came out of the ladies room after calming herself down and freshening up again. Ena walk back to where she told MyungSoo to stay to look for him. There wasn’t anyone there except a guy sitting over at the window. He was looking outside with his back facing Ena.

 

“MyungSoo.” Ena walks up to the guy. “What are you doing here?”

The guy turns to Ena. “We met again. I guess we’re distend.”

It was that weird guy Neil. “What are you doing here?” Ena asks backing away.

“For the party of course. So have you gotten enough of that husband of yours yet? Cause you know I’m always available.” Neil steps closer to Ena.

Ena steps back. “No, why would you say that?”

“Let’s be real here Ena. You two got married because it was forced. I don’t see the reason why you wouldn’t get tired of him. Unless…you love him.” He steps closer to Ena and leans down to take a deeper looking into her eyes. “You love him don’t you?” Neil steps back and smiles.

“I don’t love him…I don’t think I do…I’m not really sure but I know that I care about him. He is the father of my child. I have to care a little don’t I.”

“Even if you do love him do he love you?” Neil steps forward and grabs Ena’s left hand. He brought it up and looks at it. “Still no ring?”

Ena snatch her hand back. “I…”

“I was holding it for her.” MyungSoo appears from behind Ena and held onto her hand. “She was afraid she lose it in the washroom.” MyungSoo took out the ring from his pocket and slip it onto Ena’s ring figure. MyungSoo glares at Neil. “And you can keep day dreaming about Ena leaving me, she’s happy being by my side.”

Neil chuckles. “As long as you give me permission to keep day dreaming about her I will. Let’s see…” He looks at Ena from head to toe and smirks. “I bet you have one banging body under that.”

MyungSoo grabs his collar. “You really want to get a good beating from me don’t you.”

“MyungSoo.” Ena held onto his hand trying to stop him.

MyungSoo looks at Neil then at Ena. She looked scared and he didn’t want to scare her so he let Neil go. “Next time I promise you. I won’t hold back.” He pushes Neil to the wall and took Ena away.

Neil watches them leave and started laughing like a crazy person. He took out his phone. “I think you will be very happy with my report tonight boss.”

 

MyungSoo didn’t even bother to go back into the party he lead Ena to their car and drove home. Ena sat at her vanity and stares at the ring. It was very beautiful but she didn’t feel right wearing it. She took it off and put it on the table.

 

“Why aren’t you wearing it?” MyungSoo asks walking out of the bathroom all washed and clean.

“Where did you get? Was it something you gave to Suzy and she returned it at the party?” Ena picks up the ring and stares at it.

“I bought it the other day. I never even bought Suzy a ring. BABO!” MyungSoo sat down on the bed facing Ena.

“Why did you buy it?”

“You need a ring don’t you?”

“Since it’s a need ring I’ll only wear it when I need to.” Ena looks at the ring and put it in her jewelry box.

“You need to wear it all the time. People will think you are still single if you don’t.” MyungSoo stood up and went over to the box and pull out the ring to slip it back onto Ena’s finger.