Just Like Juliet

The Case Of The Weird School

The class was in wild disarray again before the start of the class. Jin Woon went over to CL, who was counting money on her desk.

"Hey yo, CL!" Jin Woon said as he tried to mimick the style from the ghetto.

"Annyeong?" CL greeted before getting back to her money.

"Gwaenchanha?" Jin Woon asked. "You seem to be a little off."

CL smiled sadly. She did not want to tell Jin Woon that she was jealous over the fact that he was with Jia the other night and defending her at the precinct. She just wanted to make some money to forget about her unrequited love for him.

"Oi, oi," Jo Kwon piped up. "Yeoreobun, anja... The clueless Witch is here!"

Everyone save for Nana and her boy friends (and boyfriend) scampered towards there seats. Shin Hye came in and started doing a roll call. 

"Oh? Where's Soo Hyun-ah?" she asked.

The students knew Soo Hyun to be a loner, and they did not even bother to ask him of his whereabouts.

****

"Hana, ogenki desu ka?" Soo Hyun asked over the phone. 

He was at the school music room, loafing and skipping first class. After all, it was as if Shin Hye would miss him.

Of course, she missed him...in her class record.

He would rather talk to Hana Fleur over the phone than listen to more announcements regarding the coming CSAT come November.

****

"Lee Chae Rin?" Shin Hye called CL after math classes.

CL came forward, unusure of what it was about.

Shin Hye waited for the other students to get out for her to talk to her student in private. CL sat on the chair in front of her teacher, waiting for instructions.

"CL-ah, I know that you are struggling in class, but the other teachers are complaining that you have become the last student in the ranking," Shin Hye said, pointing at her record.

CL knew. It was because of her part-time job as a waitress at a local bar.

"Jinjja?" Shin Hye asked. "But that does not give you an excuse not to study."

"Gwaenchanheuseyo, Seonsaegnim," CL said. "I'll do well..."

"CL-ah, the CSAT is almost coming. You need to strive hard in school, huh?"

CL began to cry.

"My Eomma...she went to Japan to work, and she cannot support me all the time. That is why I have to work. It's as if I have a choice," CL said.

"At what time do you usually go to work?"

"Immediately after classes," CL said. "And during reverse Happy Hour, I cannot even get home immediately because they are in dire need of staff to attend to customers."

Shin Hye's fist landed on the table.

"Is that even their excuse???? Do they know you are a student?"

"Ssaem...they know, but for me to earn much... I had to be there at the reverse Happy Hour..."

"CL-ah... Doing part time job is hard, but you need to study," Shin Hye said. "I...If you want, I can beg them to let you off before the reverse Happy Hour..."

But she was not able to say more because CL scampered out of the room in tears.

****

"It is still Wednesday, and Friday is still a way too long," Shin Hye said to her harabeoji. "I need to rescue that student out of that bar. Why! They are maltreating her!"

"You can go at the reverse Happy Hour, hmmmmm...." Jom Bi said to her.

It was a good idea for her, so she went to the bar where CL worked.

****

"Ssaem!" was CL's surprised remark.

"Annyeong?" Shin Hye said. "I am here as a customer, not as your teacher, arasseo?"

CL was taken aback, but her boss told her that he'd deal with Shin Hye instead.

"I want my student to serve me," Shin Hye protested. "The customer is always right, geuchyo?"

"Ah ne... But you see... she is a student, and she needs to get home," the boss said.

Shin Hye saw CL get to the back door of the bar.

"Anything you'd like, Agasshi?" the boss asked.

"Ah, just two bottles of mekju and tteokbokki," she said.

The boss, amiable as always, tried his best to hide his irritation at the teacher, who was looking at the backdoor. When her beer and tteokbokki came, Shin Hye asked.

"How long had Lee Chae Rin worked for you?" she asked.

"Ah...hehe, that is internal affairs," the boss said.

Just then, Jom Bi came and sat across Shin Hye at the counter. The boss shuddered when he noticed the zombie man smiled silly at him.

"Don't tell me..." the boss suddenly asked, his voice quivering.

"I called up a few hours ago, hmmmm...." Jom Bi said.

The boss realized that his customers in front of him were from the gang. Of course, only the guys with bad reputations and legal fronts knew who were from the gang.

"So, will you set my student free?" Shin Hye asked slyly.

"Ah...ye...ye...algesseumnida," the boss said.

"She can work as much as she like, up to Friday," Shin Hye said. "After that, she's out."

The boss trembled.

Shin Hye and Jom Bi ate the tteokbokki and drank mekju, much to the discomfort of the boss.

*****

"Mworaguyo?" was CL's question.

Her skin had gotten as white as a sheet.

"But..but..."

"Someone requested me to...aish...your teacher wanted me to set you free."

"But, but...can she find someone to help me?" was CL's question. "Algesseumnida. I will find ways to fend for myself..."

She was rather irritated when she saw Shin Hye and Jom Bi enter the bar and sitting down at table. It was almost reverse Happy Hour, and for a Friday night, it was rather good to be eating some light food and drown one's self in alcoholic drinks. With them came a handsome young man in slick corporate attire. Shin Hye hailed CL, who came with them with her jot down notebook and pen in hand.

"CL-ah, anja," Shin Hye said to her student.

CL greeted the other two men and obliged grudgingly to her teacher.

"This is my cousin, Park Shin Hoo," Shin Hye said.

Shin Hoo smiled at CL, who immediately started to blush.

"He is in need of a worker at his law firm, and he pays big," Shin Hye said.

"I know how it is to be a working student, so I will let you off after eight," Shi Hoo said.

CL's tears started to fall. Here came an opportunity for her to work with only a few hours, but with good pay.

"Gamsahamnida..." she said in tears.

CL went back to her work and tended to her other guests. As Shin Hye and her group received their order, they started to eat. Suddenly, her vision received a startling revelation.

Yong Hwa was at the counter, eating alone, and he was looking at her.

"Eotteokhaji????" she asked herself as she hid her face behind her long hair.

"Gwaenchanha?" Shi Hoo asked.

"Ah...ne, Oppa..." she said before cringing.

When she looked back at Yong Hwa, she saw a smile on his face.

****

"Ah, Oppa, Jom Bi-ya, I'll go first," she said.

Her cousin and the zombie man nodded before resuming to their food. Shin Hye heaved a contented sigh, knowing that her cousin from the gang is reliable as  his word.

She immediately walked out the bar to get away from Yong Hwa.

"Running away from me?"

She turned around to see him at her back, smiling with his lovable grin.

"Aigoo... you really are a vampire," she chided him.

"So.... shall we go on a date?" he .

She took his hand, and they went to the park where there were lots of cherry trees. The blossoms of the trees were floating beautifully on a windy night, and Yong Hwa loved her look. She was enjoying herself.

Shin Hye released her grip and tried to play with the blossoms, while Yong Hwa got some pictures of her having fun. Sure, there were still some lights, and though the pictures were dim, he was able to get a good shot of her. She was twirling around and chasing the petals. He even smiled and felt his heart melt when she looked at him.

"I wanna sing, do you know?"

"Are you down with too much beer?" he asked.

"Ani..."

And she began to sing to him.

 

I wanna run into someones arms
Lie on a bed of roses
I wanna feel just like Juliet
I wanna fall in love
I've got a feeling
 
Everybody wants someone to love 
Somebody they can trust
Somebody they can touch
Everybody wants to give their heart away
Everybody needs a little tenderness
To feel understood
To feel passionate
Everybody wants to be in love this way
Everybody wants to be in love this way
I know I do what about you
 
I wanna be somebody's baby
I want to cry and still feel beautiful
Maybe I really just wanna be myself
I'm not the only one
I got a feeling
 
Everybody wants someonne to love
Somebody they can trust
Somebody they can touch
Everybody wants to give their heart away
Everybody needs a little tenderness
To feel understood
To feel passionate
Everybody wants to be in love this way
Everybody wants to be in love this way
I know I do
What about you

 

Yong Hwa smiled after her performance and clapped.

"Omo, I never noticed...you are smiling!"

"Ha! You never realized that back at the bar?"

"Aish..."

He smiled at her again.

"Feeling like Juliet, Baby?" he .

Shin Hye nodded.

"Ne...."

He went over to her, grabbed her waist, and gave her a passionate kiss at the park. She was shocked to be kissed like that, and she loved it how manly he could get. Her heartstrings were tugged, so she wrapped her arms around him and gave her all as well.

 

~~~~