Blue Birthday (2)

Only A Number

Not in Himchan's p.o.v. Will be revealed later on in the chapter.

- - - - - - - - - 
 
"Please go run some errands, honey. You're too depressing for me to handle."
 
I nodded as I grabbed the clean sheet of paper filled with ingredients my mother needed. "I'll be going now." I slipped on my shoes and pulled my hood on, making sure to lock the door behind me before moving on to the concrete. A beautiful orange butterfly outlined with the color black flew by swiftly, being carried along with the wind. I waved goodbye to it, feeling the muscles of my lips turn into a very small smile.
 
I remember when we used to hold hands, chasing after the pretty butterflies demanding and declaring they were our wives. Whenever we fell for the same butterfly, we would fight for its love by somehow getting it to land on us. I scoffed, running my fingers through my hair at the ridiculous memory. Shut up already, that's in the past. It's not going to be like that anymore, so just shut up. I hated how the memories would always play like a broken record, refusing to leave my poor innocent mind alone. 
 
The memories would scar my mind, making me regret each breath I took and each second I lived. I didn't know how much the conflict would affect me. I didn't know I would be in this type of situation with the person I least expected it to happen with. We never gotten in fights before. You could say that this was technically our first time, and it hurt. It hurt how his eyes glared through my heart, stabbing me constantly with no mercy what-so-ever. All because of a small mistake, too.
 
But it was my fault for doing and saying something so unnecessary. It's not like he had to know. Neither of them did. I could have just left them in their own world, oblivious to their own feelings. I kicked a poor little pebble with all my might, hoping it would somehow release some stress. I just haven't been my cutesy happy virus self lately and my family is surely aware of it. I don't think I'll ever be the same at this point.
 
Before I knew it, I was already in the convenience store greeted by the nice lady that I considered as a second mother to me. She would always bring free groceries to my family since my mother had some kind of connection with her in the past and only recently have I found out that apparently they were childhood friends. I envy my mom. I wished I had a ever-lasting friendship like that.
 
"Sweetie, what do you need?"
 
"Ah, here." I handed her the white piece of paper, and she nodded as she rubbed her imaginary beard. 
 
"I see. I'll be back with the ingredients. You could grab anything else you like, son." She smiled sweetly, sending some type of motherly-love vibe. I felt bad for making her do the errands instead but she insisted (more like just took the paper and ran off) and there was nothing I could do because she ran off before a word was spoken. I shrugged, placing my hands in my pockets as I walked aisle to aisle.
 
I wasn't in the mood for any junk food at the particular moment so I decided to go by the cereal area. I'll get Lucky Charms for my little cousin. I looked at the shelves and sighed in disbelief when I saw that it was on the 7th shelf. That was beyond my height and brought dissatisfaction to me. Who the heck would be tall enough to grab a box like no-
 
Ah, Zelo. Totally forgot about him. He's tall enough.
 
I tippy-toed with all my might (or height. whichever is the right use of words) and stretched out my hand, praying it would somehow grab the box of stupid Lucky Charms but to my avail no luck. After 5 long minutes of practically stretching every limb of my body, a person  beside me probably pitied me and jumped up to get the box of cereal in one try. The person sighed and handed it to me. "Here you go."
 
"Tha-" I paused, my jaw hung wide as the cause of my depression stood before me. "Himchan?"
 
He looked a bit taken aback. His expression filled with confusion, relief, sadness, anger and luckily happiness all at the same time. "Uh...hey. Haven't seen you in a while."
 
"Yeah...so...what's up?"
 
This was probably the most awkward conversation we ever had in the history of awkward conversations. It was like meeting each other for the first time in years after departing from a long-term relationship. I grabbed the box of cereal and held it close to my chest as if it were my personal treasure. I swore my heart was beating nervously against my cage loudly.
 
"Nothing. Just looking for some syrup...you?"
 
"Running some errands for mom."
 
"Oh."
 
We stood there for a minute, taking in the presence of each other in. It's only been a month since we last spoken to each other yet I felt so alive for the first time in weeks by just hearing his voice. What is he, a magical angel?
 
"Ah, there you are sweetie! Here you go." The lady I considered as my second mother handed me a bag of groceries.
 
"Thank you so much."
 
She nodded, patting me on the head lightly. "Anytime dear." She glanced at Himchan, a smile formed on her lips again. "Aren't you that Himchan Mrs. Jung oh-so brags about?" He nodded. "Oh my, any long-term friend of the Jung family  is my friend! What do you need, dear?"
 
"We aren't re-"
 
"He needs syrup. Sorry for the bother." I interrupted him, not wanting to hear the words directly from his mouth. That'll make me go into a very deep depression. 
 
"Oh my! I'll go get you a fresh batch of syrup!" She turned her attention to me. "Hey dear, why don't you and your friend wait in my office while I go fetch it?" She walked off again, this time humming happily. 
 
I looked at Himchan from the corner of my eyes, noticing him looking around uncomfortably. He looks constipated if you ask me. "Let's go." I managed to say, directing the way to her comfy office that stood behind the endless supplies of surplus. The room's wall was red, nicely decorated with old-fashion furniture and posters of recent KPOP groups here and there. "So...." I sat down on the comfy retro couch, motioning him to sit beside me.
 
He gladly took the offer, playing with the fabric of the couch. "How have you been?"
 
"....Great. You?" I lied, hoping he wouldn't notice the crack in my voice when answering.
 
"Wonderful."
 
"That's nice..."
 
"How come the lady treats you like royalty? Are you guys dating or somethin'?"
 
"Himchan you're disgusting. That's Youngjae's mom. Our moms were childhood buddies."
 
"Are you serious? She's so kind but he's so..."
 
"Don't say it."
 
Silence beat us to it again and only the sounds of our breathing were heard. The coffee table before us had a big plate of cookies and I nearly laughed as the good memories played in my head this time. Himchan looked at me questioningly. "What? What's so funny? I want to laugh too."
 
"Nothing..it's just that...remember when we were little kids and we got in trouble for stealing a jar of cookie from this particular store?"
 
Himchan chuckled softly to himself as the memories probably played back in his mind too. "Yeah I remember. We were so stupid back then."
 
"We still are, Himchan."
 
He nodded. "True, true."
 
We were idiots for playing with the word love back then and we're still idiots 'til this day for letting something so little break our bond. "I remember the times when we would throw the word 'yeobo' and 'jagiya' around without even considering the other's feelings." I whispered, hoping he was still able to hear my voice and my last sentence.
 
"What do you mean by that, Daehyun? It's not like we had feelings for each other."
 
Of course not....That wouldn't be right, huh? "Yeah, true....Are you seeing anyone?"
 
He smiled stupidly to himself. I haven't seen that type of smile since he last bragged about Yongguk drawing him when we were little kids. This must have meant he was seeing someone and that person was most likely Yongguk.
 
But tt's okay...I'll live with it.
 
"Yeah."
 
"Oh...she must be nice."
 
"Yeah, he's sweet. You know him....it's Jongup."
 
You'll choose a guy you just met recently over a guy who waited for you for years? Haven't it ever went through the little thick brain of yours, that you're hurting someone with your dense brain? What about Yongguk? Did all my efforts get thrown in the trash?
 
"I see. How are things for you and Yongguk?"
 
He tensed up at the question. "Not so great...he recently confessed..." His voice lowered to a whisper. "I rejected him, though...."
 
Ah. So I'm not the only one getting hurt?
 
"Himchan..."
 
If Yongguk could do it, then so could I. Even if my heart will shatter into million of pieces, even if he were to throw harsh words towards me... I want to let that stupid idiot know how exactly he makes me feel whenever he's near me. It's his fault for being so affectionate, anyway.
 
"Yes?"
 
"Himchan, actually I....."
 
- - - - - - - - - 
 
HAH Imma stop it right there lol. Two updates in a day...wow .__.'
Warning: Stupid thank you speech coming along.
THANK YOU to those who stuck with me through 20 chapters! TT ^ TT This story was suppose to stop at 10 but here it is, continuing on and on because of you xD  and a Big Fat THANK YOU to those who comment. It's fun reading your comments xD I hope you guys know that you really motivate me to write, too. It's nice to know my wacky writing entertains you guys and dfajgfhg just -- I love you all <3 ^^