One More Step

ME VS STRANGER

Shinhye POV

It’s been a week since my trip to Incheon with Donghae. Although we ever shared a room and we were each other’s first kiss, but still we never get along. Every day there are little things that we are arguing about. Fortunately, Donghae was busy with his works these couple of days. So I could enjoy my life for a while.

After came back from work, I see Appa as usual. Appa still in coma. There was no sign that he will be awaken.

"Appa, get up. I missed Appa ... " I said softly.

After an hour of accompanying Appa, I decided to go home. When I went out from Appa’s room, I was seeing a familiar person.

"Kyuhyun-ssi ..." I said.

Kyuhyun turned. "Shinhye-ssi? Why did you get here? "

"My father is being treated here. I just visited him. And you? "

"I accompanied my mother for a routine check up."

His mother? It means that the wife of owner Gaemkyu Corp was here?

"Really? Can I meet your mother? " I said excitedly.

Kyuhyun frowned. Maybe he was surprised to see my gesture. "Ah, n-ne ..."

"Kyuhyun-ah, I’ve done." A woman was about 50’s approach us. She looks beautiful and elegant. Kyuhyun smiled at her.

"Who is this girl?" Kyuhyun’s mother asked when she saw me.

"Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Park Shinhye." I greeted her.

"She is my friend. She is also the daughter of Shinhwa’s Corp owner.” Kyuhyun introduce myself.

"Really? Well, you're really pretty. I’m Kyuhyun’s mother. Nice to meet you, " said Kyuhyun’s mother while smiling at me. I just smiled shyly.

"Eomma, you’ve done right? Let’s go home, " said Kyuhyun .

"Kyuhyun-ah, do you still working? Now it’s time for lunch. Let's have lunch together, "she said to Kyuhyun.

"Um ... okay."

"Shinhye-ssi, would you like to have lunch with us?" Kyuhyun’s mother asked me.

Omo. Kyuhyun’s mother asked me to have lunch together!

"Ne, Shinhye-ssi. Come with us, " said Kyuhyun.

"Alright then."

I, Kyuhyun, and his mother ate at a restaurant near the hospital. I felt like we are the real family.

"Kyuhyun-ah, why you didn’t tell me if you have a beautiful friend like Shinhye," she said.

"We’ve just met at shareholders meeting, Eomma."

"I see. Ah, you’re also a young enterpreneur, right? Wow, it’s really great to see a beautiful and young enterpreneur like you, " said Kyuhyun’s mother.

I smiled shyly. His mother like me, isn’t it?

"Shinhye-ssi, you must come to our house to have dinner together someday," she said again.

I smiled. Don’t worry, mother-in-law. If I had been married your son I will come to your house every day.

*

"I'm home," I said when I got home.

Quiet. Lee Donghae must be still at office right now. It seems he will be came late again. Ha, that's good. I wish he will always comes late.

I lay on living room’s sofa. If I can take care of Kyuhyun and his father, I can win this competition.

Just like my basic plan. I have to get married with the owner of big company or his son. Gaemkyu Corp is the one of biggest company in South Korea. If my father’s company cooperated with Gaemkyu Corp, I’m sure we can get big profit. Okay, I will try hard to get Kyuhyun’s heart during five months.

By the way, should I texted a message to him right now? I took out my cell phone. I started typing.

 

To : Cho Kyuhyun

Annyeong, Kyuhyun-ssi. This is Park Shinhye. I just wanna say thanks for the lunch. I hope we can have a lunch again next time.

 

Alright. The message sent. I just have to wait his reply.

One minute… Ten minutes… Twenty minutes… Why he didn’t reply yet? I keep waiting and waiting until I fell asleep.

*

I walked on the edge of a beach. It was nice to see the sea again. After much walking away I saw a man standing away in front of me. Seems like he was waiting for me. I walked over to him.

When I getting closer, I could clearly see his face. When I approached him, he greeted me with a smile.

"Kyuhyun-ssi? Why are you here? "I asked, surprised.

"I just want to ask you something. Will you… marry…"

I waited him to finish his words. But suddenly I heard someone’s annoying voice called me. Then the waves getting bigger and bigger, and I drowned.

"Park Shinhye. Yah, Park Shinhye, " someone called me. I opened my eyes slowly. Lee Donghae's face wasn’t far from me. He was splashing water into my face.

"Yah, what are you doing?" I shouted. I wiped my wet face.

"It’s hard to wake you up. So I took the water to make you wake up, " he replied lightly.

I glared. Aish. I wonder why there was a man like him in this world.

“Why did you wake me up? It’s not morning time!”

“I know. But now it’s time for my favorite TV programme. You stole my precious place.” He pointed at this sofa.

“Mwo? Your precious place? Hey, this is my home! It’s up to me wherever I want to take a nap!”

“This home will be mine soon,” he said.

What?? Omo. Did his plan to win our competition is succeed? I have to make fast move. I looked at my cell phone. I’ve got one message.

 

From : Cho Kyuhyun

Annyeong, Shinhye-ssi. It’s okay. Let’s have lunch together next time.

 

I smiled. “Lee Donghae, don’t dreaming. You’ll never get my father’s legacy.”

I left him alone. Just wait and see. My plan will succeed soon.

*

The next day, after visited Appa, I went to a café beside Gaemkyu Corp. I planned to wait for Kyuhyun here. Of course he didn’t know my plan. I will pretend that I’m here accidentally.

After a long time waiting, I could see Kyuhyun was walking out from his office. I approached him hurriedly.

“Kyuhyun-ssi!” I called him. He saw me and smiled.

“Shinhye-ssi?”

“Annyeong. I was finishing my bussines here and then I saw you. Do you wanna go home?” I said.

“Ne.”

“Um. I don’t have lunch before. Would you like to accompany me?”

“Alright then.”

I and Kyuhyun walked to the café where I have waited for him before. I ordered food and Kyuhyun just ordered a cup of coffee.

“Thanks for accompanying me,” I started conversation.

“Anytime. Shinhye-ssi, what’s business that bring you here?” he asked.

“Um… I…”

What should I say? It’s impossible if I say that my business is to get his heart, right?

“My friend’s house is near here. I just want to visit her,” I lied.

 Kyuhyun just nodded his head. I relieved that he didn’t asking me anymore. Then, we’re quiet. I know this is the right time to make him close with me.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, can I ask you something?” I asked.

“Of course. What’s that?”

“Um… would you like to be my best friend?”

“N-ne?” He looked confused.

“I know it’s a weird question and we’ve just meet a few times. But I don’t have any best friend before. I know you’re a kind guy so I wanna have a best friend like you.”

Yeah, I know it’s very very shameful words. But I don’t care. I will do everything to get his heart.

“Um… S-sure. We can be best friend,” he said with awkward smile.

Alright! One more step to make him falling in love with me, and then I can defeat Lee Donghae.

*

Our competition has been running for three months. It means that I have two months remaining to defeat Lee Donghae. Like my prediction, he made a new product with his team. And it will be launched nexth month.

It’s okay. I’m sure that I will win too. Why? Because I and Kyuhyun are really close now. Even sometimes he picked me up to home or hospital. We also have conversation about cooperating our company. Just wait until he express his feeling toward me, and then we will engaged, and then our company will cooperated, and then Lee Donghae get out from my house. What a beautiful plan! I can’t wait until that day comes.

Today, Kyuhyun planned to pick me up again at office. I’ve been waiting outside my office. But suddenly the sky was dark. It’s going to rain.

DRRTT. My cell phone vibrated. Kyuhyun called me.

“Yoboseyo,” I answered.

“Shinhye-ssi, I’m sorry I can’t pick you up now. It was rain and I stucked in traffic jam,” he said.

“Really? It doesn’t matter. I will go home by myself. Take care. Bye,” I said.

How could I go home? Kyuhyun couldn’t pick me up and I didn’t bring my umbrella.

“Why do you here?” someone asked me.

I turned back and I saw Lee Donghae and Jessica beside him. It’s been a long time since I saw him. He rarely comes back home lately. Maybe he was busy with his new product.

“None of your business,” I answered curtly.

“Why aren’t you going home?” he asked again.

“It’s up to me.”

“Do you wanna go home together?”

I thought for a moment. Good bids. Should I accept his offering?

“Oppa, don’t you want to take me home?” Jessica pouted.

“Of course. We will take you home before we go home,” he answered.

“Shinhye-ssi, you’re going home with Cho Kyuhyun, right?” Jessica asked me all of a sudden.

“N-ne?” I said. Why she said that? Isn’t she didn’t want me to go home with them?

“Cho Kyuhyun? The son of Gaemkyu Corp’s owner?” Donghae asked. I thought he didn’t notice yet that I closed with Kyuhyun.

“Yes. I often see Cho Kyuhyun pick her up,” Jessica said.

“So, you will go home with Cho Kyuhyun?” Donghae asked me.

I looked at Jessica. She was looking at my eyes too. It seems like she won’t me between her and Donghae.

“Um… yeah. I will go home with Kyuhyun,” I lied.

“When will he pick you up?” Donghae asked me again.

“Oppa, can we just go home? I’m tired, you know? I’m sure that Kyuhyun will pick her up soon,” Jessica whined again.

Hey. What’s wrong with her? Donghae asking me but why she answered first?

“Alright then. We go first. But wait.” He reached into his briefcase and pulled out an umbrella.

“Here you are. You can use it if you want.” he offered his umbrella to me.

I was about to take it when I saw Jessica glared at me.

“Um, I don’t need that. I bring my umbrella.”

“Oh, is that so? Okay, we’ll go first,” he said then. Donghae and Jessica passed me.

Aish. Stupid. Why I have to weak in front of Jessica? Isn’t she just an employee in this company? I could ask Appa to fire her later.

Aigoo. What should I do now? Rain fell heavily. And I felt bad if I ask an employee to take me home. Okay, I decided to run to the bus stop. It’s not far anyway. I’m a strong woman. I can’t sick if the rain flushed me.

Finally I arrived at bus stop. I was soaking wet now.

Time has been passed. But there’s no bus came. Aish. I’m freezing. I just keep waiting and waiting until a white Audi A6 stopped in front of me. Isn’t he Lee Donghae?

“Park Shinhye!” he called me from the opened window’s car. “Why…you…&^%@!”

“NE?!” I shouted. I couldn’t hear what he said at all because of the rain.

Then he get out from his car. He ran to me hurriedly.

“Why did you still here?” he asked me.

“I’m waiting for the bus.”

“Didn’t Cho Kyuhyun pick you up?”

“No. He can’t pick me up today.”

“Hey, you are soaking wet! Let’s go home!”

We headed to his car. He covered my head with his coat and let his body wet.

*

At home

After changed my clothes, I layed on my bed. Oh no. I’ve got headache and flu. I went down to look for aspirin. In the kitchen I saw Donghae was cooking.

“Lee Donghae, do you have aspirin?” I asked him.

“I’ve put it in first aid kit. Wae? Are you okay?” he looked worried.

“Um. I’m just feeling unwell.”

“You should take a rest.”

“Okay.”

I drink an aspirin and go sleep. After a long time sleep, I wake up. Hey, why my headache is getting worse? And why I’m shiver?

Then, I thought someone knocked the door. I saw a blurred figure approached me. After that, I didn’t remember anything.

Donghae POV

It’s been two hours. Did she still sleep? She said that she was feeling unwell. I worried about her so I went to her room.

I knocked on her door several times but she didn’t answer. I opened the door and found she was lying weak in her bed. I approached her.

“Park Shinhye, are you okay?” I asked.

I touched her forehead. Warm. She must be got fever. I took a compress for her.

“Should we go to hospital?” I asked her again.

“Ap-pa…” she murmured.

I was going to change her compress when I felt she hold my hand.

“Please don’t go,” she murmured.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be here,” I whispered.

“Cold…” she murmured again.

I tighten her blanket. So that she would feel warm.

“Cold…”

Still cold? What should I do? Suddenly, I remembered what Mr.Park have told me a long time ago.

“My daughter… I always hug her whenever she feels cold.”

Well, should I … hug her? Um… Okay. I will do it just for her goodness. Finally, I climbed into her bed, and hugged Shinhye from her side.