How I Managed to Hurt Him, again…

The Impasse of My Heart

 

 
Chapter 8
How I Managed to Hurt Him, again…


I didn’t have a chance to talk to Kikwang properly other than saying our greetings. I really wanted to have a proper talk with him but our schedules just never were the same. I could finally have a chance to talk to him today I thought since everyone from B2ST were going to perform with us. I could talk to him afterwards.
First I had my Japanese lessons with Gayoon on my schedule. After our classes, which I was not improving as much as I was supposed to; we were headed to our rehearsals.

“So, are you and Yoseob dating now?” I asked her, knowing about her worries from before.

She looked at me startled. “Eh?”

“I mean he did practically serenade to you.” I said.

“Oh… Not really. I mean he did sing a song for my birthday but he didn’t ask me out or anything.”

“Really? I saw you guys talking afterwards though.” I thought he confessed.

“Yes, we talked, but that was it. He didn’t say anything…” She looked sad.

“Aww… it’s okay, I didn’t mean to make you sad or anything,” I said patting her back.

“It’s OK. Really,” she said cheering up. Again, she hid behind her fake smile but I didn’t want to push her so I smiled back.

When we arrived, we had our dry rehearsals first as usual. When we headed back to backstage from the dry rehearsals the boys had already arrived. After half an hour we were called on stage again to prerecord our performance for today. The performance went by pretty well so we decided to celebrate it at our practice room in the Cube. 

This was a good time for me to talk to Kikwang. I saw him getting himself something to eat so I approached him with a smile on my face.

“Hey, Kikwang” I said to him.

“Oh… hi.” He replied back with a straight expression, no smile. 

“I need to talk to you, privately.” I said.

“Okay. Go ahead.” He said indifferent. 

“It is really awkward between us… and...” I sighed. “You are one of the few friends that I love and treasure and I do not want to lose you as my friend so can’t we just go back to normal?” I finally managed to tell him.

“No.” he said, I was stunned, and his words felt like someone had poured icy water on me.

“E-e-eh?” I stuttered.

“You keep on saying the words like ‘a friend that I treasure,’ or ‘a friend that I love’. I don’t want you to love me as a friend.” He said, and then sighed. “Look, I am sorry but in order for us to go back to normal, you need to get out of my sight so that I can forget about my stupid feelings and move on.” He said.

His words…hurt. He told me to get out of his sight. So hateful… What had I done to turn someone as cheerful as Kikwang into someone as hurtful? Even though I knew that he was hurt more by my actions, I felt like someone was stabbing my heart with thousands of knives. This was not supposed to end like this. In my mind, he was supposed to forgive me…

I walked out of the room as fast as I could, trying not to cause a scene, since I felt my eyes burn with tears that were starting to form. I walked out and away from the practice room, into a corner, and slid down with my back facing the wall. Then, I cried my heart out.

“You need a shoulder? Or a handkerchief?” He asked, standing in front of me, staring down at me. I looked up at him once then looked down again. He was the last person I wanted to cry in front of. He crouched down in front of me and wiped my tears.

“Why are you crying?” he asked me.

“Because…” why was I crying? Because of Kikwang’s hateful words or because I hated myself for not liking him back, or was it because I had just lost a friend? Well, it was all of the reasons. “Because…” I just couldn’t say his name out loud.

“Because of Kikwang, right?” he asked me. 

“y-yes…” I whispered, and then told him what happened. I needed to talk to someone and he was there for me. However, at the end he looked, well, pissed. “Stupid Kikwang,” he said. “I am going to teach him a lesson!” he added getting up since he was still crouching down in front of me. Wait, no. I was at fault, not Kikwang.
“No! Don’t!” I said and held onto his arm and pulled him back down, which caused him to lose his balance and fell right in front me, his face merely away from mine. His face was so close that I could feel his sweet breathe against my lips. 

I stared into his eyes, which were now staring back at me. I could not tell what his expression meant but I could feel my heart trying to burst out of its place. His gaze lowered onto my lips and my eyes closed automatically… Then he let out a chuckle, and I felt both of his hands on my shoulder as he stood up, leaving me looking like a statue.

“Don’t worry I am just going to have a talk with Kikwang,” he said to change the mood and walked off.

“What did just happen?” I asked myself. I got up and walked towards the ladies’ room to wash my face.

Junhyung’s Pov

Hah! Yoseobie! I got him back now, I thought to myself as I considered the ways I could mock him about Gayoon. It was his fault for sticking his nose at my love-life with Jiyoon. Wait? What love life was I thinking about? There was still nothing going on between her and me. Anyways, back to the topic. Where the hell was Yoseob anyways? I walked into our clammed up bedroom and found him sitting on his bed, reading. Reading?

“Yoseob” I called up to him.

“What do you want?” he asked.

“What are you reading? Aren’t you supposed to be spending your free time with Gayoon?” I asked him.

“No, why should I be with Gayoon?” he asked confused. “I am reading ‘One Piece’ for your information.”

What the hell? He was reading a manga? Well, duh. What did I expect? It would be hard to find someone in this dorm reading a regular novel. Anyways, “Dude, didn’t you ask her out at her birthday?”

“No.” he looked thoroughly confused, and a bit sad?

“Then, why the hell did you serenade to her?” Wait, if he didn’t confess, than this means I don’t have to do any cheesy stuff like serenading to Jiyoon when I confess right?

“Because it was her birthday… I didn’t feel like it was the right moment to ask her out.” He admitted.

“Oh.”

“Enough about me! Did you confess to Jiyoon yet?” Yoseob asked changing the subject. Why the hell did we always end up talking about me? This kid is really sly, really.

“No.”

“Well then you should before someone else confesses to her.”

“Someone else?” I asked, who the hell was that someone else?

“I heard other people, you know from other groups, talking about how pretty she is nowadays. So don’t waste your chances.” He said. Was this kid serious? 

“Who? Tell me!” I demanded, but failed at my attempt to get an answer from our Yoseobie. 

This was frustrating! Well, I was going to see her later on today. We had a stage to perform after all. 
Of course, our performance was deabak! It ended without any mistakes so everyone was happy. We decided to go to the Cube to celebrate it and spend some free time. I didn’t have a chance to talk to her all day so now maybe I could.

I was looking for her when I saw her talking to Kikwang. A wave of déjà-vu hit me. I had eavesdropped on their conversation before. I couldn’t hear what they were talking about but from their expressions it wasn’t a good one. As I was trying to figure out what in the world was going on, she stormed pass by me without even noticing me standing on her way. So my brain having no control over my heart, or my feet in this matter, I went after her.

I looked around the hall, and found her sitting on the floor at the end of the hallway with her head down. Was she crying? That jerk! What did he tell her to make her cry?

“You need a shoulder? Or a handkerchief?” I asked, standing in front of her. She looked up at me, her eyes red and watery from crying. All I wanted to do at that moment was to hug her but I held myself back.

“Why are you crying?” I asked her instead.

“Because…”She replied, thinking. “Because…”

Aish, just say it already! “Because of Kikwang, right?” I asked her, but it was more of a statement. 

“y-yes…” she whispered as I seated myself next to her. Then she told me what happened, sort of. She let out the part when she had told him that she liked someone else.

That stupid boy? Didn’t Doojoon have a talk with him? Why did he have to act like that? Does he want her to hurt as much as he was hurt? That’s just plain stupid.

“Stupid Kikwang,” I said. “I am going to teach him a lesson!” I said. I needed to have a talk to him, man to man, and tell him to back off so that I can confess to Jiyoon properly.

“No! Don’t” She shouted suddenly, and pulled me back down as I was trying to stand up which caused me to lose my balance. I stopped myself from falling any closer to her. But when I looked ahead, I saw her eyes staring back into mines. Too late. Then, I realized how dangerously close we were. My eyes moved to her lips. All I wanted at that moment was to kiss her. I was about to kiss her, but then Kikwang came to my mind. I had to settle things with him first. When I looked back at her eyes, well, they were closed. I chuckled and stood up.

“Don’t worry I am just going to have a talk with Kikwang,” I told her and walked off to find Kikwang.

When I went back inside I found Kikwang talking to our real maknae, Dongwoon.

“Kikwang-ah, can we have a talk outside?” I asked him.

He looked confused. Hell, I was confused a bit, too. “Sure…” he said. Dongwoon gave me a look which said I-
know-what-you-are-about-to-do-so-good-luck. Why was every one of these boys (except for Doojoon who was too love-struck to notice anything) seemed to know about my business more than I did?
We went outside to the back of the building. The fresh air that hit me made me feel better and more confident.

“Kikwang, I need to talk to you, about-“

“Jiyoon, right?” he said.

Eh, how did he know?

“I know hyung.” He said. So now he could read minds, too? What was going on?

“What do you know?’ I asked him to see if he really knew what I was about to say.

---

A/N: Thank you so much for spending your time reading this fic, and commenting. You have no idea how happy the comments make me :) Oh and I am sorry this chapter was shorter than my usual ones T_T