How I Lost A Precious Friend

The Impasse of My Heart

 

Chapter 5 
How I Lost a Precious Friend


I had received a text message from Kikwang asking if when I was free the next day. I texted him my schedule and he said he was going to pick me up during my free time. He didnt ask if I was OK with it or not. Then again, he probably already knew that I would say sure anyways. Its been some time since I got to hang out with him. Its gonna be fun I thought to myself.

So where do you wanna go? he asked after he picked me up from our dorm. 

You are the one who invited me. I stated.

Right. Then what do want to eat? He asked, cheerfully.

Ice cream! I said.

While we were walking down the street I couldnt help but notice the food stands. Ddukbogi food stands. My stomach growled slightly. I hadnt eaten at all today thanks to our busy schedule. 

Lets eat ddukbogi! I said pulling him towards the food stands.

Eh? Right before ice cream?

Yup, I nodded innocently, smiling. As gross as it sounded I was hungry and I was craving for ddukbogi. 

Yummy, I said and fed him a piece as well. 

Its good He said flashing me his bright smile. No matter what everyone thought about him, this boy was just adorable in my eyes.
After our stop at the food stand we arrived at the ice cream parlor. He grabbed my hand and led me inside the place. 

Which flavor do you want? he asked me.

Cookies and cr?me as usual I told him and sat down while he ordered.

Its been a while, I said while we were eating, Why the sudden idea? I asked him. The last time I was able to go out with him like this was before his debut with B2ST. 

Well, I have something important to tell you. He said.

I was curious. Well, then ask away my friend, I smiled.

Jiyoon-ah he said and grabbed my hand across the table, Will you go out with me? he said.
What?! Did I just hear that right? Did Kikwang just ask me out?

E-eh?I stuttered. This was too sudden. What was he thinking?

Will you be my girlfriend? He asked smiling nervously. I like you I have been in love with you for a long time, actually. He said.

B-but Kikwang-he cut me off before I could finish. 

Dont answer now. Think about it. Ok? Ill ask you again soon. He smiled.

He dropped me off in front of our dorm and gave me a loose hug before walking off. How was I supposed to tell him that I was in love with his friend and that I only saw him as a precious friend and nothing else? 
When I went inside I found Sohyun and Gayoon watching TV.

Welcome back! Gayoon said when she heard me come in without removing her eyes from the TV.

Unnie! Come watch it with us. Sohyun said, motioning me to sit between them.

Sure I said smiling at them. Watching TV would help me take things off my mind for a while, I thought.

B2ST ALMIGHTY!!! I heard coming from the TV. Oh no! The boys were taking care of little kids in this episode and it was very fun to watch. It would have been normally. But now was the time when I didnt want to see Junhyung or Kikwang for a while and they were right in front of me, on TV. I couldnt tell the girls a good excuse so I had to watch it with them. 

When Jihyun came home, I was able to escape from the girls and have a talk with her.

Well, are you gonna say yes? Jihyun asked after I told her what happened earlier that day.

No. I dont like him that way.

Then tell him that. She said.

But I dont want to hurt him. I dont want to lose him as a friend I said looking down. 

He is going to be hurt either way. But if you lie to him he will be hurt more later on. Just be honest with him and say no.

You are right I said looking at her. I will talk to him tomorrow. I said.

The next day when we entered the Cube for our practice I saw Kikwang next to the vending machines. Good, I didnt have to search for him. I told the girls to go ahead. I acted like I had something important to do before the practice. I had to talk to him. After the girls were out of the sight I called after him.

Kikwang! I said, he looked my way and smiled. Hey, I said.

Hi-yeom!he replied cheerfully. I didnt want to mess up his mood. No backing away now I had to do this.

We need to talk, I said and his expression became serious. Sure he said and we sat down on one of the sofas around the hall.

His smile faded when he saw my expression. It hurt my heart to do this but I had to. I-I sighed, I cannot accept your feelings... When he didnt say anything, I am sorry I said.

He looked taken aback, w-why?

I like you, I really do. I took a deep breath but not the way you want me to. You are a friend that I treasure and-

If you give me the chance I could make you like me, he said.

Youcant. I said looking down.

Why? then realization hit him, You like someone else dont you?

Y-yes I whispered still looking down. I couldnt tell him that I liked , his friend.

Who?

I cant tell you

Why? Is he someone I know? I didnt answer, Dont tell me he is one of my members?

I looked up, shocked.

So I am right? he said.

It doesnt matter who he is I said.

This was hurting him, more than it was hurting me. I couldnt tell him. I am sorry I said and walked off, leaving a heartbroken friend behind me.

Junhyungs POV

Arent you gonna do something about this? Yoseob asked me.

What do you want me to do? I asked, annoyed.

Kikwang was going crazy about what he should wear for his date with Jiyoon. That kid looked handsome in anything; I didnt understand why he was freaking out. I didnt want to ruin his relationship because of my uneasy feelings so I was staying out of it. I have actually fancied Jiyoon for a long time. She was the only mysterious one out of them. The only one I wasnt close with. But with our debut approaching I had buried my feelings down and worked hard to succeed as a singer. Now, nearly after a year why were my feelings coming back?

Yoseob on the other hand thought that I should do something for my love. What could I do if she liked him back as well? Nothing. I still wasnt sure of my feelings. I didnt want to acknowledge them. Maybe if she were to refuse Kikwang then I could ask her- No! What was I thinking?!

Aish! Yoseob, I am going to the studio to work on my lyrics and get some quiet. I said, You go help Kikwang chose an outfit. I walked out of the dorm, took out my notebook and started working on the lyrics that I had left off the other day.

When I came back home, Kikwang was hyper as usual and were annoying- I meant helping- Doojoon cook with Yoseob. They were like little kids. I was about to start nagging at them to calm down but then I just didnt want to talk to Kikwang. It seemed like his date went well I wonder if Jiyoon said yes.

Hyunseung realized my confused look and answered, He didnt get an answer yet, he said as I sat down next to him.

Eh?

Jiyoon didnt say yes or no yet, Hyunseung repeated.

And this concerns me because?

He looked at me with a knowing expression that followed a smirk. He patted my shoulder and went to the kitchen. What was up with everyone? First Yoseob , now Hyunseung. How did they know about my feelings in the first place? Aish I should get some sleep But then I realized I was hungry as well.

Doojoon when is the food gonna be ready? Should I order pizza or something? I asked and received a death glare from Doojoon.

dont mention ordering out now. He has been working on whatever it is for a very long time Dongwoon, our maknae said, and plopped down on the sofa beside me. 

We were practicing at the Cube, again as usual. If we didnt have anything on our schedule we had practice. It was our break time so I decided to go to the restrooms to wash my face. When I got out, I saw Kikwang and Jiyoon talking next to the vending machines. I was going to walk away without getting noticed but then I heard her say I like you. And my heart skipped a beat. Why did it hurt so much to hear those words from her?

 You are a friend that I treasure and-She said. Wait, so she does this mean that she refused him? Why did my mood changed again? Why was I happy to hear that my friend got rejected.

If you give me the chance I could make you like me, Kikwang said suddenly. What? What if she agrees? Oh she just said no again. Why was my emotions so unbalanced? Why was I feeling happy and sad every single minute I listened. Kikwang asked her if she liked someone else and she said yes. Who the hell was he? Why was it so hard for me to get to her? Now Kikwang is out but before I could even have the guts to acknowledge and trust my feelings, there was a new guy already. 

Why? Is he someone I know? Dont tell me he is one of my members? Kikwang asked her.

She looked rather, shocked. The guys didnt call me the master of ladies for nothing. I knew what that look meant. Kikwangs predictions were right. So my next competition was with another friend of mine? 
I was so into my thoughts that I didnt realize Jiyoon was coming this way. What to do? I just had to act like I had just gotten there. She stopped when she saw me.

Junhyung She said

Hi. Jiyoon-ah. Did you guys just come here? I asked acting like I didnt hear anything.

Yeah, we have to practice. She replied with a fake smile.

Are you OK? I asked. Why did I just do that?

Y-yeah! She said brightly. I am just a bit tired thats all. I knew better. She was sad deep down.

Well, then get some rest ok? I said and walked off after I saw a genuine smile from her.

She was nice, honest, talented, beautiful, clumsy, adorable There werent enough words to describe how she was in my eyes. But I had to deny my feelings again if she was in love with someone else right?

--

A/N: Here is chapter 5!!! <3 comments are appreciated and thank you to everyone that commented. I love reading them. It makes me all giggly inside :D