Metal Cups and Plastic Plates (2/??)

Night Time Jitters

No Beta. Kris POV, I'lll reread this later and fix minor grammer mistakes, but for the most part words should be spelled correctly... I type fast okay, and I don't always hit the correct keys :C Sorry

 


I cracked his phone.

I cracked his ing phone.

! What is he supposed to do now? It's not like I can go up to him and say, hey! Sorry, but while I was typing in my number my super human strength cracked your screen. Can I make it up to you over dinner? Yeah, I didn't think so.

God, today was the perfect day too. He was alone, I was alone, he was on the school's messenger, and it was easy to talk to him... and then I go and do this. Haha... I wouldn't blame him if Tao thinks I did it.... because I ing did.

Way to go Yifan, you broke his ing phone.

 

--

 

"A little birdie told me you were at the library last night," Luhan says as soon as Yifan sits himself down on the couch.

He didn't bother with breakfast and cradles a cold protein shake in his hands. The metal is cold enough to numb his fingers, but he's gotten use to it. Better to be numb than to burn.

"The little birdie also told me that you were talking to someone," Luhan smirks and leans forward, peering at him over his reading glasses, "A certain someone named Huang Zitao."

"One of these days, you're going to have to tell me who this little birdie is.. so I can punch him."

"Now if you do that, you'll kill him."

"And whose fault is that?"

"Hey now, you asked-"

"For nutrition supplements. For training," Yifan interrupts, "I asked for you to pick me up some on your way back from class, and what did you do? You made some freaky X-Man and turned me into the hulk!"

Luhan watches him carefully, "... Hulk wasn't a part of the X Men."

Yifan glares so hard that he could have burned holes through his roommate's head. He doesn't notice he's dented his metal cup until Luhan stands and pries it gently from his hands. The blond sees the warped body and groans in annoyance.

"I thought those cups weren't supposed to break."

"They're not. You just deformed it, all you gotta to is pop it back out."

He shook his head, "I don't think it works like that."

"Well then make it work. I don't like buying new cups just because they look like something pulled from a funhouse mirror."

Yifan looks like a frustrated little kid, but none the less sticks his finger inside and lightly pushes on the dents. Too much force and it becomes a bowl, so he needed to be careful. Eventually he gets the correct form of the cup shaped and stares sadly inside it, "Now I need to make a new shake..."

"At least it didn't spill all over you like last time," Luhan chuckles mischievously, "That was good."

"."

"I try," the shorter boy stands and tucks his notebook under his arm, "I've got some new ideas for turning you back to normal. I'll be staying late in the labs so don't wait up for me."

"Who said I would?" Yifan begrudgingly takes a drink from his shake, too lazy to go make a new one, "I have basketball practice anyways."

"Oh? Maybe you should invite Tao to come watch, He'll keep you company for sure."

Yifan glares, "I could say the same about your little Sehunnie."

Now Luhan looks at him unamused, "That little brat is up to something. I can sense it."

"Maybe he's just better than you."

"Wishful thinking on both his and your part," Luhan disappears into his room and reemerges with his backpack slung over his shoulder, "I'll see you."

"Yeah," Yifan waves him off and pretty soon, he's alone in his dorm. With a sigh, he wanders back into the kitchen and pulls a banana out of the bundle on the counter. He eats silently as he checks his messages, almost choking when one from Tao comes in.

Yifan is happy, but also a little nervous. He hopes the boy isn't texting about his screen, he still feels really bad for it, and is preparing to make an excuse and offer to pay for the damages until he actually reads the message.

 

From: Huang Zitao

You left your stupid hat in here.

 

Yifan frowns, What? An explanation comes in the form of a follow up text.

 

From: Huang Zitao

Oh my god. You're not Sehun. I'm so sorry.

 

He breathes a sigh of relief and starts laughing. He hadn't tried talking to the boy since yesterday, but it would have been just his luck to up a potential friendship within the first 24 hours.

 

To: Huang Zitao.

Had me worried there for a minute. I take it your friend is very forgetful?

 

From: Huang Zitao

He does as he pleases. Barges into my place and then forgets half his things. I am tempted to keep his things from him but I don't want that clutter in my room...

And good morning.

 

Yifan smiles childishly and continues to text him the rest of the morning. He's almost late leaving for his marketing class, but at least he has something to look forward to. Before he ended his conversation with Tao, he had learned that the boy was free at the same time as his basketball practice. He invited him, and Tao accepted. Now he prays that he won't do anything embarrassing.

 

--

 

His practice is going perfectly. Yifan is showing off his leadership skill and is taking every opportunity he can to look cool. This is ridiculously difficult though because has to both focus on his team, his strength, and deal with the nerves that comes with Tao watching him.

He looks up to the stands and sees Tao sitting at the top, a textbook long forgotten as he had chosen to watch them instead of study. Tao notices him look and (is that a blush?) waves at the leader. Yifan his head back and gives him a smirk before he mentally reprimands himself.

Jesus Yifan, You're trying too hard,  he grumbles and leads the team into a short scrimmage match.

"Alright, B team takes left court and A team takes right. We've got a game in a few days so let's try and  execute the defense tactic coach showed us," he commands, his coach looking impressed as the boys in front of him nod in agreement.

Yifan smiles, his teammates were actually cooperating with him today. He briefly wonders if Luhan told them about his little guest (he had bragged to Luhan during lunch) because he caught more than a few heads turning to look at the dark haired male.

Whatever, Tao isn't here to see any of them and that just makes him all the more cockier.

The game starts. The passes are done smoothly and the other people gathered to watch treat it like it's a read game, cheering loudly for their favorite players. Yifan manages to steal the ball away from a shooter and dribbles it back to his opponents hoop.

He side steps a defender and jumps. While he flies for the hoop, he notices Tao watching him with anticipation. Distracted, Yifan forgets to focus on his strength and when his hands make contact with the rim, the dunk ends up snapping the metal hoop off the backboard. Yifan barely manages to land on his legs, staring dumb struck at the  ring in his hands while the whole room goes silent.

... I've done it again, he realizes dejectedly as he looks around at the stunned faces.

Tao is especially shocked, with both hands covering his mouth as he stares wide eyed at the captain. The silence is broken when Yifan's coach breaks out into hearty laughter, followed by the rest of the team.

"That's the third hoop this season, at this rate I should make you pay for these things!" the burly man jokes and takes the hoop from the blonde, inspecting it thoroughly.'

"Yeah? Well they were getting old anyways. I did you a favor if anything," he retorts back, his nerves dying down.

"Does this mean practice is cancelled early?" Chanyeol, a new addition to the team, asks with hope filled eyes. Kris looks to his coach who nods. This garners cheers from the rest of the tired players and everyone makes their way to the locker room.

Yifan starts to do the same until he notices Tao coming down the bleacher stairs. He doesn't want to look too eager for his attention so he takes his time packing up his gym bag, even pulling out a towel to wipe his sweat (or lack thereof, seeing as he hardly broke one during the game) to kill more time.

He pretends to just notice Tao as the boy walks up to him and smiles in greeting, "Hey, sorry about cutting things short."

"You broke the hoop?" Tao asks in a light voice, trying to confirm what he saw, "The metal hoop, mind you."

"Yes..." he clears his throat and slings the bag over his shoulder, "They're pretty old since this building hasn't seen renovations since 2000."

"And you've broken two others before?"

"Yeah..."

Tao burst out into light pearls of laughter. It's the loudest Yifan has ever heard him, but his voice is sweet and suits Tao's quiet demeanor. he wishes he could hear him speak up more, but is pulled from his thoughts when a window in the back gym cracks.

Small pieces of glass fall onto the floor and Tao has his hands clamped over his mouth once more. Yifan is slightly startled by the sudden break and walks over to examine the fallen pieces.

"Must be the heat from the sun," he mumbles, pinching a shard between his fore finger and thumb, "The gym is pretty cold, maybe the temperature difference caused it."

Tao doesn't reply, and Yifan looks over his shoulder to see him fidgeting there uncomfortably.

"Well," he stands, attempting to coax some words from the boy, "Since practice let out early, you want to grab something to eat?"

Tao nods, his black bangs bouncing lightly against his forehead and Yifan can't help but smile, "Great! What do you feel like eating."

"Anything is fine," he mumbles, a distinct change in demeanor from his earlier eager laughter. Yifan frowns and nudges his shoulder lightly, earning a look from the boy.

"You alright? No need to be so quiet."

"I'm fine... just startled I guess..."

"If you say so. How does sushi sound?"

"Good."

"Great," he glances at his phone, "Give me ten minutes to get ready. I'll meet you in the hallway."

Tao nods and Yifan leaves with a slight jump in his step. He thought things could have gone horribly worse, but is thankful that all he managed to up was the hoop.

As soon as he enters the locker room, a toned arm lands across his shoulder and a voice as loud as lions roars in his ear, "So that's who Luhan was talking about? Your 'special someone', aye?"

"Knock it off Chanyeol," Yixing, the lead defender for the team, chastises, "At least wait to catch them in the act before you ."

Yifan looks surprised, "Wow, you actually paid attention at lunch? Here I thought nothing got through to you."

"I'm not completely hopeless duizhang."

"Nah, just mostly."

Yixing gives a friendly smile, but for some reason it sends a chill down the elder's body, "I was going to be nice and let you off today, but if this is how we're going to play it then so be it. Where are you taking the kid out to? Hopefully something romantic enough for a date."

Yifan glares, "It's not a date."

"It's a date, it's a date!" Chanyeol laughs and Yifan really hopes his voice doesn't carry out into the hallway.

"Oooooh, captain's goin' on a date~" some of the other members tease, "Maybe we should follow them."

"You better not."

"You're not our boss outside the court," Yixing instigates, "Maybe we should..."

Yifan pauses putting his shirt on and glares at the usually carefree defender, "Yixing."

"I'm just kidding. Jesus, I've never seen you take me so seriously before."

"Well maybe it's because I'm taking this seriously, or at least trying to," he huffs and continues dressing. He's standing too close to the locker door though and his head hits the back of it as he pulls through the collar of his shirt. The metal door dents and the room falls quiet once more.

You've got to be ing kidding me, Yifan thinks as he stares at the scalp sized crater.

"Did you... just..." Chanyeol is choking back laughter, but one wide eyed look from Yixing sends him and the rest of the team in a fit. Yifan's face turns red as they make jokes about his 'metal head' and he slams the door angrily.

Of course, this warps the entire frame and makes it impossible to reopen (for normal people at least, Yifan can easily pull it apart, but he wasn't in the mood to do so).

"Dude..." Yixing breaths, barely heard over the team's laughter, "Have you been using the gym or something? Last time I checked you could barely open a pickle jar."

"I guess my time there has been paying off," he lies as he slides his backpack on. Actually Yifan stopped using the gym after he accidentally released a set of 100lb dumbbells while doing lifts and sent them flying into the ceiling. Needless to say he probably wouldn't be welcomed back any time soon.

"You should train me then," Chanyeol beams, "There's someone I want to impress and-"

"Maybe next time," he cuts him off and high tails it to the door before anyone else can ask him. He's in the hallway in seconds and nearly runs into Tao, who's leaning against the wall by the door way. Yifan forgets Korean and ends up greeting the boy in Mandarin, "Sorry, did you wait too long?"

Tao's eyes widen briefly and Yifan misinterprets it to be confusion. Way to go, you ed up basic Korean. He coughs and tries to say something back, but Tao beats him to it, "Not at all. You're quite fast."

The fact that Tao replied in their native tongue makes Yifan giddy as , but he contains himself for the time being and leans against the wall, "I didn't know you spoke Mandarin."

"Why wouldn't I? I am an exchange student."

"Where from?"

"Qingdao."

"Oh nice, I've only been their once but it was amazing. Do you miss it?"

"Sometimes," The boy looks down and kicks at the ground lightly, "But what can you do?"

"Have you ever thought of going home?"

"No. As much as I do want to go back, I find it... suffocating there."

Yifan knows the feeling, thinking back to his upbringing on Canada. The only set back he has is that if he didn't come to Korea, then he wouldn't have met Luhan and he wouldn't be cursed as the Chinese hulk, "I know a pretty good sushi bar a couple blocks from campus. My treat, shall we go?"

Tao nods and gives him a small smile. Yifan is itching to do something with the boy, but they've just barely started talking so he decides to just pat his shoulder in a friendly manner and walk ahead. He hears soft footsteps behind him as Tao follows and smiles again. He thinks that people passing by will think he's weird, but doesn't care. He's doing something he's been wanting to do for the past few months, and it was going smoothly.

 

--

 

 

"Are you sure you're okay?" Tao asks in that quiet voice of his.

"Fine, fine... this happens a lot actually," Yifan admits as Tao continues to treat the cuts on his hands.

They had made it to the restaurant and started talking about random things that had happened that day until Yifan said something he intended to be funny and actually got Tao to laugh again. It was a cute sight and had him distracted. He was gripping his cup too hard and the glass shattered, cutting his fingers and palm. Tao immediately rushed to help him and the staff offered their first aid kit along with complimentary appetizers.

Yifan isn't particularly fond of hurting himself, but if it got Tao to hold his hand than he may consider breaking a few more cups.

"That's not a normal thing, you know..."

"Well I regret to inform you that I am not a normal person," Tao stops for a moment and gives Yifan a mysterious look before a sly smile graces his lips and returns to the task at hand, "...What?"

"Nothing... We're one and the same I suppose," Tao closes the box and gives it back to their waiter when he comes out to serve their food. The table is quickly filled with side dishes, sauces , and beautifully plated fish that has Yifan watering at the mouth. Tao looks just as eager and doesn't hesitate to steal the first bite of tempura.

"Mmmm," he moans at the taste, " that's good."

It's the first time Yifan has really heard him curse, but strangely he doesn't mind hearing it again, "First time here?"

"I've always thought this place was too expensive," he says in between bites, "But looking at the menu now, I'm surprised by how affordable it really is."

"They make their living off of college students, it's only fair to price it so that they can actually pay for it," Yifan explains. The dark haired boy nods and motions for the latter to dig in, but the blond hesitates. He glances down at his hand, realizing that it'll be difficult to use chopsticks, "I'm fine for right now."

"Oh..." Tao realizes what the problem is and looks around for some way to help him. Yifan smiles reassuringly. In truth, he's not all that hungry after practice and usually waits until he's home to eat. He honestly just wanted to take Tao out and get to know him better.

He doesn't expect it to be easy since Tao is rumored to be a severe introvert with communication issues, so when the boy picks up some food off the plate and offers it to Yifan, he's a little surprised.

"Well how else are you going to eat with me?" the boy frowns and urges him with a shake of the sticks.

Yifan blinks and hopes to god he isn't flushing before opening his mouth and taking a bite, "... I-it's good."

"I know. You found a great place," Tao agrees quietly, "How did you?"

"This is actually owned by Luhan's cousin. He was a business major that graduated two years ago and decided to help out students that couldn't cook for themselves."

"Really?"

"Yeah, since Lu owes me I get my meals for even cheaper," he grins evilly, "Let's exploit this as much as we can."

"Don't mind if I do," Tao agrees and gives Yifan another roll, "How'd you two become friends? If you don't mind me asking."

"Same high school. Believe it or not, Luhan was more into soccer than science."

"Really?"

"Yup, he only changed interest because of a certain person," the name  goes unsaid, but Yifan can see a flash of recognition on the boy's face as he most likely thinks of  Sehun.

"Why though? What's so good about this person?"

"That's something you'd have to ask him," He reaches for his cup, (a metal one since  Xiumin knows what's happened and how to deal with it) "I'm not particularly interested. I've got my own problems to worry about."

"Like what?" Tao his head, God damn it.

"Like not failing my classes. That's why I'm constantly in the lounge area studying before each one."

"Seriously?" Tao looks surprised.

"Yes... What did you think I was doing there?"

"Ah, no it's not that... I just never really took you to be the studious type."

Yifan smirked, "I'm not completely hopeless you know."

"No," Tao stole some shrimp and shoved it into his mouth, "Just mostly."

 

--

 

"And he laughed! He actually laughed at my stupid jokes!" Yifan grins as he recalls week, particularly all the moments he's spent with Tao, "There were a few that I thought were dumb but hell, I'm hilarious and he clearly saw that. You know I didn't think taking him to that Sushi bar was such a good idea on Monday, but clearly it was. We actually meet up in the library during breaks now.

Yifan pauses and stares out the window, "Haaa... I'm making good progress."

Luhan blinks tiredly at him with a steaming cup of coffee warming his hands, "... You're an idiot."

"He said he looks forward to our meetings. Do you know what this means?!"

"That you've managed to trick a perfectly innocent boy into your mad schemes."

"It means he's starting to like me!" Yifan ignores him, "I think I'm losing sleep. I'm just so damn excited."

"Why? What's happening today?"

"Nothing, but something could happen."

Luhan sighs and sets his mug down, "You're a fool."

"Shut up, I'm happy so let me continue to be happy," Yifan reaches for his hyung's cup and tries to steal a drink, but Luhan lurches forward and snatches it back up. The blond looks confused, "What?"

"You do that and the whole thing is gonna shatter. I like this couch, I don't want to get a new one."

He frowns, "Then maybe you should hurry up and fix me. It takes every ounce of my being not bruise Tao when I grab his arm."

"Oh? You're touching him now?" He teases lightly and puts the cup in the sink. Yifan rolls his eyes and picks up his bag, following the elder's lead as they leave for classes, "In all seriousness, I'm glad you actually got the guts to talk to him."

"Me too. To be perfectly honest I don't know where it came from..."

"Were you reading Shounen Jump?"

"I haven't touched that since high school."

Luhan stares at him blankly, "Then I'm sure you won't mind if Chanyeol cancels his subscription-"

"He can't," Yifan curses under his breath when he realizes he's been caught and Luhan laughs loudly.

"Oh god, was it some pep talk you got from a basketball manga? Is that what made you talk to him?"

"Not another word Luhan."

"Oh my god it is!" He continues to laugh and Yifan pushes him into the street harmlessly. Yixing watches them from the gate with a confused look and waits until they're closer to ask.

"Morning," he smiles airily, "What's got Fannie attempting murder?"

"That nickname is never going to stick, just saying," the said male disregards the question and continues inside. Luhan  doesn't hesitate to answer the dazed boy and Yifan finds himself walking faster away from then.

Jesus Luhan, you must love humiliating me so early. Maybe he could learn a thing or two from it though, he's the one that started an unrealistic feud with the chem boy.

He feels his throats parched and seeks out a drinking fountain, seeing as the student store was too far away to visit. He locates one next to his first class and goes to drink. Half way through, Chanyeol sneaks up behind him and pinches his sides. Yifan is obviously startled and breaks off the entire metal tray, spraying water on him and everyone within the vicinity.

"Jesus! What did you do!?" Chanyeol shrieks and covers his face.

"Yah! This is your fault! You surprised me!" He snaps back and shoves the metal back into the wall, effectively covering the hole but creating cracks around the faucet from unnecessary force.

"What the hell? Did you do that!?" one of the spray victims ask. Yifan recognizes it to be Baekhyun, a senior that's friends with Tao, and doesn't know how to answer him. He can't exactly say yes because, hell, there is no way anyone is strong enough to snap it with their own hands. Besides, if word got back to Tao then that might raise even more questions and have the boy hesitating to see him.

"Um... No. You're seeing things," he says plainly and Chanyeol looks dubiously at him.

"You're kidding, I just saw-"

"The water valve explode and hit everyone," Yifan finishes, glaring at Chanyeol.

"I thought so," Baekhyun shook off some water on his arms and stepped closer to the drinking fountain, "How the hell did that happen?"

"Faulty installment. This is probably defective."

"No kidding... but what did you do?"

Yifan draws out a long 'uhhh' as he thinks, "... I pushed it back in after it fell out. This idiot here snuck up on me and made me pull it out."

Chanyeol throws his hands up briefly and shakes his head rapidly, "Did not! You should have heard me coming in the first place-"

"I was thirsty, how could I focus on anything else but water?"

"See this is how people get kidnapped. I keep telling you that you should bring a water bottle, you're open for attack whenever you do this."

The blonde blinks, "You do realize that I am a 22 year old 187 centimeter man, right? Who would be stupid enough to grab me? In the middle of a college hallway no less? "

"Age has nothing to do with it," Chanyeol is adamant about getting his point across. Yifan can't believe that they're even arguing over this absurdity in the first place. He just hopes he isn't late to his next class, "People get taken all the time. It doesn't matter what you're doing! Someone can just come out of nowhere and nab you!"

"Hey, dumb and dumber," Baekhyun interrupts just as Yifan is formulating a comeback, "What are you going to do about this water."

The taller male scans the puddles on the hallway and looks at Chanyeol, "This is your fault, you clean it up."

"Yah! This isn't- HEY! Get back here! Yifan! WU! YI! FAN! Damn it."

 

--

 

"So I  heard what happened yesterday," Tao comments quietly.

Yifan looks up from his book and is a little taken aback. The two met up in the library again, which Yifan is grateful for. Tao requested his help for an assignment and Yifan needed to catch up on homework. This also gave them privacy, so he didn't need to worry about any of his friends interfering.

But it seems that he didn't need them to embarrass himself, and that he was rejoicing too late, "What do you mean?"

Tao smiles and lightly flips his bangs back, "About the drinking fountain."

He groans and buries his face into his book, "Wasn't my fault. Those fountains are old."

"Do you always break things?"

"Not always," he huffs, "It's usually stupid things."

Tao laughs and shakes his head. Yifan pauses his note-taking to watch him, "I want to feel bad for you, but I find this highly amusing. Your luck must be terrible."

"I wouldn't say that..." I'm getting to hang out with you after all. Yifan realizes what he almost said was cheesy as and cringes inwardly. Tao doesn't seem to hear him and continues typing away on his laptop.

Yifan taps his pen lightly against the table, watching Tao from his peripheral vision as he stares at his textbook. He's noticed that the usual emotionless Tao was starting to exhibit more emotions around. Tao was smiling, laughing, and talking more frequently than he had been a week ago.

Yifan knows it's stupid to think it, but he hopes that he's getting the obsidian haired boy to open up to him... even if it's only a little bit.

"Are you busy this Saturday?" Yifan thinks he asked it at first, but then he notices that Tao is staring at him, expecting an answer.

"... What?" he replies dumbly and Tao shifts nervously in his seat.

"Just asking if you're free. If you're not, then that's fine-"

"I'm free. I've got nothing planned at all, besides lazing around my living room," he lies. His cousin asked him to help out at the youth center and coordinate practice, but this takes precedence.

Tao beams at him, "Great! Sehun was supposed to go to a game with me for my kinesiology class, but he backed out last minute. I've already got two tickets and I don't want to look like a loner if I go by myself..."

"What kind of game?"

"Um..." he digs around in his backpack, "... it's a soccer match."

"Sounds fun," Yifan smiles back, "When and where?"

"9:30. We could meet up at the stadium a-and... I don't know, maybe afterwards grab something to eat? Only if you want to."

Yifan really hopes his eyes aren't playing tricks on him when he sees a red tint on the boy's ears. He, once again, forgets how to speak Korean, "I know a good BBQ place near the arena. I'll take you there when we're done."

Tao nods with a small smile, "Alright. My treat this time."

"... Fair enough," Yifan agrees and looks back down to his textbook, fighting back the urge to grin wider, "I look forward to Saturday."

"Me too..."

 

--

 

Tao is there before him, which surprises Yifan because he made sure to arrive at the stadium fifteen minutes earlier than their designated time.

Tao is sitting against the wall, his raven hair is styled up and he's sporting some black horn-rimmed glasses. He's wearing a black jacket over his tank top (Yifan coincidentally has the same one) and matches his dark jeans and high tops. Overall he looks attractive as hell, and Yifan wishes he could run back home and change.

"Wow, you look good," He can't help but say as he gets closer.

Tao looks up and , is that a blush? avoids eye contact, "I-I don't really go to these kinds of things. Do I stand out?"

"Yes," Yifan decides to tease as he leans closer, "But in a good way."

"Oh..."

The basketball player smiles and takes the tickets from Tao's middle and fore finger, "These are pretty good seats! How'd you get them?"

"My teacher handed them out. He said some were good and some were alright, didn't say what though," Tao shrugs, "I guess I have good luck?"

"Yeah you do, shall we go?"

The boy nods and follows after Yifan. The said male can't help but get the feeling that Tao naturally follows his puppy like tendencies often and thinks it would be cute to have this happen at school. He's jealous of Baekhyun, because that's exactly how he's like whenever they're in the hallway. Maybe it's because they have the same class? But he and Tao have a jogging class together as well, so why wouldn't he do the same with him? Then again, they did just start talking recently.

Too wrapped up in his thoughts, Tao has to grab the elder male's arm to stop him from walking past the section entrance. Yifan jumps at the touch and looks over his shoulder, "Yeah?"

"Section two right?"

He glances down at the ticket, "Ah huh."

Tao smiles and points to the archway, which had a large '2' painted above it, "Where were you headed off to?"

Yifan flushes, "... This would be the part where I play off my mistake with some excuse that makes sense... only I don't have one."

He laughs and tugs him along, "At least you're honest. Lost in thought?"

"I guess... I was wondering what kind of food they have here."

"That's a terrible excuse."

"I tried."

Tao doesn't reply, but smiles the whole way to their seats. They are actually in very good spots; up close under one of the two giant screens used for advertisements and game play.  The field is ten rows in front of them and with their height they could see over the small couple ahead.

Yifan bought a two hamburgers from a walking vendor and gave one to Tao, not allowing him to protest against it. The match then started a few minutes later and the blond decides to fill the air with idle chat while the two teams were stuck at a standstill of dribbling the ball back and forth.

"You know what would make this game more official?" Tao tore his gaze away from the players to give him a questioning look, Yifan smirked, "A giant. Foam. Finger."

Tao's eyes widen and he shakes his head, "No, dear god."

"We gotta. It's tradition."

"At American football games maybe, but we're at a Korean soccer match!" Yifan winces at the pitch of his voice, feeling a sting in his eardrums. He hides it well though and ignores the boy's reasoning.

"They're selling them over there," he motions with his head and to Tao's horror, there are people buying the red foam fingers.

"Oh god no."

"I'm gonna get one."

"No."

"I'm gonna get two."

"Ge, no."

"I'm gonna get four. One for each of our hands. Then we'll really be showing school spirit."

"Yifan This isn't even a professional game and we're not going to get anything."

"yeah well- wait..." Yifan looks over, "Did you just call me Ge?"

Tao's ears turn pink and he shakes his head,  "S-slip of the tongue I suppose-"

"No, it's alright. You can keep calling me that if you want to," Yifan feels a warm feeling in his chest when he see's Tao nod shyly and whisper 'Ge' under his breath. But that still doesn't stop him from teasing, "He's getting closer."

Tao looks panicked, "This is so embarrassing, please don't."

"We should switch seats so I can reach him easier," Yifan makes a move to stand, but Tao grabs his arm firmly and keeps him down. Yifan can easily break from his grip but he's happy that Tao once again initiated contact.

"Yifan. No," he switches to his native tongue and makes the conversation all the more private, "You should know that I am very skilled in martial arts, wushu specifically. That means if you buy a foam finger I can use it to kill you in at least six different ways."

"At least six different ways?"

"Well I've only been able to see it from far away."

"Well then, let me fix that for you," Yifan smiles and  leans past Tao, "Sir! Sir with the Foam-"

"No!" Tao shrieks and Yifan again reels back with the volume. The lights illuminating the field above them suddenly spark and rain shattered glass on the spectators. Yifan manages to see it just in time and grabs Tao roughly, pulling him close so it doesn't land on him.

He feels the heated glass burn his neck as it falls down the back of his shirt and grunts in pain, but none of it can be heard over the chaotic noise the crowd is making.

"Yifan... Yifan!" Tao hisses with urgency, "Are you okay? Dear god, let go of me!"

"Not yet," he replies directly into his ear tilts his head up, the lights are still giving off small electric sparks so the elder pulls his jacket off the seat next to him and drapes it over Tao's head, "Let go."

"B-but-"

"We'll talk later," he urges Tao out of the row and keeps a secure grip on him as they're engulfed by the mass of people filing out. Yifan tries to be careful with the amount of strength he's using, but it's hard to focus with people shoving against them.

He hears Tao let out a small gasp of pain when a particularly hard push had him tighten his grip and moved to grab the end of his sleeve.

"Sorry," he apologizes as soon as they make it back outside.

Tao waves it off, only rubbing the sore limb for a few seconds before he takes the jacket off and tugs at the back of the basketball player's shirt, "You god damn idiot."

"I'm fine!"

"Like hell!" he snaps when a few pieces of glass fall out the back of his shirt, "Oh Yifan..."

"I'm really alright," he turns back around and gently grabs Tao's arms, making eye contact, "Do I look like I'm in pain?"

"You sounded like you were earlier," he huffs.

"Well maybe because a certain martial artists was digging his nails into my arm."

Tao's face flushes and Yifan lets out a hearty laugh, "I-I... That's... You surprised me!"

"So did the lights," he let him go and stared back at the stadium, confused out of him mind, "I wonder what happened... Did they overheat? Or did something fly into them?"

"Y-yeah," Tao stutters, "That seems likely."

"Huh... dumb bird," he chuckles and looks around, "Well... it seems like the game will be cancelled."

"Seems so... sorry for dragging you out here and almost killing you."

"You didn't almost kill me... but if you want to make it up, I know a pretty good BBQ place you can treat me to."

Tao laughs, all tension previously in his shoulder flows out and Yifan is glad he was able to relax, granted that what happened before was pretty scary.

"What is it with you and food?"

"I can't cook to save my life, eating out is my only option."

"I see," Tao smiles and nods, "Alright Ge, lead the way."

 

--

 

"So this is your place?" Yifan asks as they come to a stop in front of a giant apartment complex.

"Yup. I'm on the third floor," he points to a room in the far corner and Yifan notices something off with the glass.

"What's your window made of?"

"Plastic..." Tao coughs awkwardly, "I prefer it over glass."

"I see."

"Well Ge, I'm really sorry I almost killed you at the soccer match, and I'm grateful you didn't turn tail and run off as soon as we got out," He speaks up, but not too much and heads up the steps, "I'd invite you to come in but my place is a mess. It looks like a garbage dump decided to unload inside."

"That's fine, you already treated me to some fine bulgogi," Yifan smiles and watches Tao's back as the boy shifts around for his set of keys. He was glad the boy had a fun time today, but something felt off.

He feels like their relationship is starting to form, but it's leaning towards being "friendly". As much as he'd love to be friends with Tao, he doesn't want the boy to misunderstand his true intentions.

"Zitao," He begins, using this sudden air of confidence to guide his words through. Tao  jumps at the use of his real name turns to see Yifan approach him on the steps. He stops when he's beside the boy, almost looming over him since he's barely taller than the young student. He continues in their native tongue, to avoid eavesdroppers, "I have ulterior motives for coming with you today."

"You do, huh?" He sounds nervous. Yifan really doesn't want to scare him so he thinks carefully about what he's going to say next.

"Yes... I'm interested in you. As friends sure, but..." He doesn't continue, seeing Tao's face flush with embarrassment is a clear enough answer that he understood.

"But... aren't you..."

"No, I'm not straight," Yifan lets out a sigh, people often have that misconception about him since he's... well... Yifan, but it didn't bother him too much. It only did if they started prying into his love life, or lack thereof, "To be honest I'm not sure you play for my team either. I just don't want any misunderstandings. If you want to be friends, I'm fine with that. I just wanted you to know my... feelings, so you're not surprised later on."

"I-I see..."

Yifan smiles, Tao is fidgeting where he stands and reminds him again of his puppy behavior.  He reaches a hand out and ruffles his hair before stepping down to the sidewalk. He looks over one last time at him, "I'll see you around."

"Y-Yeah," Tao waves slightly and Yifan starts walking off. It isn't until the basketball player turns the corner and is completely alone that he collapses on his hands and knees (creating two craters into the ground). His head is spinning as he rethinks what happened merely seconds before.

Oh my God Yifan what the did you just do? What the hell were you trying to pull? Did you think you sound cool? Ah , I've seriously got to stop reading shounen manga. They make confidence look so easy. Damn it, I bet I really freaked him out.

Yifan hears footsteps behind him but doesn't care for the intruder. His mental breakdown is top priority, but he's pulled out of it when a heavy bag lands on top of his head. Of course, the action does more damage to the can's inside than his head, but it's enough to catch his attention.

Luhan glances inside the bag and sighs, "You made my soup can explode."

"You hit my head with it," Yifan stands, not the least bit apologetic, but Luhan doesn't look too concerned himself, "What are you doing out here?"

"Had a craving for chicken noodle. I decided to go get some after leaving Dongwoo's house nearby here," the older male grins, "My my, you've got some balls asking Huang Zitao to go out with you."

"I-I didn't... He isn't... We're n-not..." Yifan is completely flustered and tries to stand, but trips over his shoes and falls against some trash cans. He warps the rim of the container, which causes him to fall back on the ground.

Luhan watches with amazement, "That... was the dumbest thing... I've ever seen you do."

"Speak a word about it to anyone," Yifan scrambles to his feet and dusts his clothes off, glaring harshly at the baby faced male, "And I'll maim you."

"Sure you will," Luhan snickers and motions for Yifan to follow him, "I've got something new I want to try on your... condition. Come with me."

He really doesn't want to, but hell, they live together and Luhan is his only chance on getting his normal strength back. He begrudgingly picks up his duffle bag and follows after him.

 

--

 

"Yo, are you okay?" Chanyeol asks, staring down at Yifan's crumbled form. The elder shakes his head and gives out a low moan of discomfort. He's been sitting in the library for twenty minutes now, just clutching his stomach in pain. Last night his roommate had given him some weird concoction of chemicals which were supposed to cure him...  All it did was give him the s and keep him on the toilet for half the night.

Luhan sits next to him, not the least bit apologetic, "Leave him be. He just didn't sleep well."

"Oh... Hey, you know what'll help you? A nice warm cup of coffee-"

"Oh god no," Yifan cuts him off and rolls his head to the side, "That is the last thing I need right now."

"He doesn't drink coffee anymore anyways," Yixing comments offhandedly, staring distractedly at something on the opposite side of the room, "Is that... Zitao?"

Yifan immediately sits up, banging his knee on the table and effectively splitting the flimsy wood. The three sitting with him stare wide eyed at the crack until Luhan smacks the back of Chanyeol's head, "Ow! What was that for!?"

"Way to pick the tiest table in the damn building," he congratulates sarcastically, covering for Yifan yet again, "I mean, of all places you pick this one."

"Hey! We use to sit here all the time in the beginning of Uni!"

"Well times have changed," the doe eyed boy turns to Yixing, "You didn't really see Zitao, did you?"

It takes a minute for Yixing to gather his words, "No I did, he's-"

"I heard that from the other side of the room," Tao says as he runs up, slightly out of breath. His friend Sehun trails lazily behind him and stares blankly at Luhan. Yifan doesn't really care much about that though, because this is the first time Tao has approached him and he is both overjoyed and nervous.

"Y-You did?" he asks, his brows raised.

"Yeah, hell you split the damn thing," Tao motions to the wood, "How is your knee?"

"Alright. The table is old anyway."

"Wow, you care a lot for our dear Yifan, huh?" Luhan smirks with his light hearted teasing. Yifan gives him a sharp glare and misses the heating blush spreading across the raven haired male's cheeks.

"And you care a lot about him caring a lot. What does that say about you?" Sehun shoots back defensively. Luhan tears his gaze away and glares right at him. An awkward silence fills the air until Chanyeol gasps and points overdramatically at his leg

"Blood!" he yells, hearing a hissed shush from the librarian.

"Blood?" Yifan frowns.

"Blood."

The elder looks down and sees the initial break had torn through his pants and left a thin cut on his knee. It doesn't look too deep, but it's big enough to send a small trickle down his  calf, "...Blood."

"Ew, blood," Sehun mumbles and Luhan gathers the captain's things for him.

"Zitao," he begins, standing and urging Yifan to his feet, "Can you take Yifan somewhere and get that cleaned? This fool doesn't even know the definition of first aid."

"Hey, I do!" Luhan gives him a glare that reads 'play along' and the taller male keeps his mouth shut, You're not so bad Luhan.

Tao looks flustered and waves his hand, which is cute considering that he's retreating back into the red scarf wrapped around his neck, like how a child would hide behind a parent, "I-I don't know how I could-"

"There's a convenience store across campus," Sehun steps up and takes Tao's bag from his shoulder. Yifan doesn't know what's happening, but it seems like luck is on his side if both Luhan and Sehun (whom he's never held a proper conversation with aside from their online messaging) are trying to get them alone. If only Chanyeol could take the hint.

"I can take you Captain," Chanyeol stands and Yifan's eyes widen, Dear God no.

"Zitao can take care of the duizhang," Yixing smiles, pulling Chanyeol back down, "Besides, you have to take care of the table."

"What?!"

"That's right," Luhan laughs mischievously, "It's your responsibility."

"B-But I didn't break it!"

"No, but this giant oaf wouldn't have broken it if you had picked a sturdier table. Ah, is that the main librarian I see?"

Chanyeol's face pale and he whips his head around wildly, "Where?!"

"Oh," Yifan swallows dryly and grabs Tao's arm as gently as he can, "Best leave now. Mrs. Kim is scary as hell."

"Really? She's nice to me," Tao mumbles, allowing himself to be lead out.

"Yeah? Well clearly you've never scream in the library."

"And you have?"

"No, but I'm friends with Chanyeol. What does that tell you?"

He elicits a laugh from the boy and smiles. Yifan looks over his shoulder one last time and gives Luhan an appreciative nod. The elder waves him off, but he manages to catch Sehun's attention and earns a smirk from the younger. Yifan swears he heard his roommate say 'brat', but they're out of the library in no time.

"S-so the store is this way," Tao speaks quietly, as always, and Yifan mentally coos over his shy demeanor.

"Alright, I'm following you," he smiles back and waits for Tao to start walking. Only the boy doesn't, too distracted by something, or nothing, on the ground. Yifan nudges his arm a little and the boy jumps.

"Huh?"

"I said after you."

"Oh, right," Tao mumbles and takes off quickly.

Yifan feels blissful as he follows behind him, of course he can't walk that far because the pain in his knee starts to throb. He does his best to keep up though and wonders why Tao is so quiet (well... quieter than usual), and then it hits him.

Last night he had basically asked him out. He dropped it like a bomb and then just walked off with half assed farewell. , he really didn't think about how it would affect the boy and clearly, it has enough to stop proper communication.

Yifan regrets it,  I should have waited, we were just becoming friends! But then he would always see me as a friend... damn it, I lose either way.

"Your pants are going to stain," Tao sighs.

"Really? Damn, I actually liked this pair ," Yifan comments offhandedly.

"Sehun told me a sure way to get stains like that out is hydrogen peroxide. I could get some from him if you'd like? He does frequent the lab's often."

"Yeah... That would be great. Thanks," Yifan looks down and smiles. He decides not to tell him that Luhan has a bottle in his room for his experiments and is glad he didn't. Tao smiles back, relieved for some reason, and their walk is a little less tense.

"You wait here," he pauses at the entrance to the store and points to a bench, "Don't hurt your knee more than it is already."

"Alright," he sits down and smiles up at him gratefully, "I'll be here."

Tao flushes again and disappears into the store without another word. Kris laughs under his breath and leans back against the wood, unfortunately he forgot to focus and another snap, similar to what was heard in the library, indicated that he had broken the bench.

"Jesus ing Christ," he huffs and drops the wood, "This is ridiculous."

"Duizhang?" Yifan looked up and nodded in acknowledgement towards an underclassman, who was staring wide eyed at him, "Did toy just snap the back of that bench?"

"Yeah, but it's old so the wood is really flimsy," he lies smoothly.

"I see..."

"Off to class?"

The boy, whose name escapes Yifan, laughs, "Off home. I've got to go to work in about half an hour."

"Where at?"

"Here, actually," he motions to the store, "I just gotta change and come back."

"Huh, pretty close to canvas, that's convenient."

"Yeah, my sister got me the job. You remember Seulgi, don't you?"

Yifan furrows his brows, "Hmmm... No?"

"Tall, short brown hair? Looks a little like me with bigger eyes? The one who practically drooled while watching you practice?" the boy laughs, "Dude, she's so obsessed it's almost concerning."

Yifan laughs uncomfortably and shifts in his seat, "Yeah well... she's gonna be disappointed."

"Hey, I didn't know duizhang had a girlfriend," he hums and steps forward to punch his arm.

Yifan returns the smile and nods, "I wouldn't say that, but I am trying to ask out a certain boy," he looks back in the store and sees Tao glancing back and forth between two first aid kits. As if sensing his stare, Tao looks over his shoulder and locks eyes with the elder.

Yifan smiles and motions to the one on the left. Tao raises an brow and holds it up, to which the elder responds with a nod. Tao copies the act and sets the one he was has in his right hand down before walking to the cash register.

The blond chuckles and looks back at the boy, not at all taken aback by his confusion.

"Did I hear you right sir?"

"You did."

"So you're... gay?"

"I am."

His confusion changes to a smile, "I had no idea."

"It's not like I'm hiding it, but hey, no one comes up to you and asks if you're straight right?"

"No..."

"Didn't think so," Yifan shrugs, "You better head off or you'll be late for work."

"Right," he nods and hurries past, "See you at practice Yifan!"

He waves as he watches him go, and Tao leaves the store seconds layer.

"Friend of yours?" he asks and sits next to the basketball player, staring pointedly at the broken wood, "Was that like this before I went in?"

"Yup," Yifan rolls up his pant leg and reveals a small cross like cut on the top of his knee, "Were you too distracted by my awesomeness to notice."

"Apparently," Tao shrugs and sets to work on the knee. Yifan wasn't expecting that kind of answer and flushes as Tao cleans the wound, "You're so unlucky, and I thought I was bad."

"No, I'm pretty unlucky."

Tao huffs through his nose and a small smile spreads across his lips, "How's your back?"

"It's all good," he grins, because the only big injury he received from the light was a small burn on his left shoulder blade, but it was healing fine. Tao glances up for a moment before his eyes are trained on Yifan's knee again.

Yifan watches him quietly, admiring the raven haired boy's jaw line and pale skin. His hair is slightly over grown and the boy looks like he could use a haircut soon, but the look is endearing and gives him a bed-head look.

"Sorry for last night," he says before he can catch himself.

"What do you mean?"

"For what I said," Tao freezes, "I didn't mean to startle you like that. I guess I got caught up in the moment and... well, I've been told I have no filter."

"O-Oh yeah?"

Yifan nods, realizing quickly the boy can't see him, "Yes."

Tai doesn't reply immediately. He tosses the used cotton swab and grabs a band aid from the pack, speaking as he rips it open, "So you regret what you said then?"

 Yifan can see his hands shaking as he places the material on, "No. Not in the least bit."

Tao's head shoots up, eyes wide in surprise, "So... you don't want to take back what you said before? Pretend like it never happened."

"Why would I?" he laughs, feeling his chest tighten with nerves, "I finally got the courage to tell you that... well... I've basically liked you since you since the beginning of my second year."

A smile breaks out on the boy's lips and he beams up at him, "You've liked me for that long?"

This time Yifan blushes, "Didn't I say so last night?"

"Nope~" he practically sings and places the first aid beside him, "You just said you were interested in me."

"Oh... well yeah... I like you..." Yifan mumbles and looks away, but Tao grabs his chin and gently turns his head to face him. The smile he has looks like it could rival the moon's brightness and Yifan is enraptured.

"I'm very happy," he says.

"You are?"

"Yes."

Yifan smiles, "Good."

The two stare at each other grinning for a while until Tao laughs and shakes his head, "Okay, I guess I'll ask then."

He frowns slightly, "Ask me what?"

"Will you go out with me Yifan?"

The blond's eyes widens and he opens and closes his mouth for a few seconds, trying to formulate words until his face turns bright red and heats up like boiling water, "I... I was gonna... ask.... I... forgot..."

Tao's eyes curve and he nudges him lightly, "So I can take that as a yes." Yifan nods dumbly and Tao looks away sheepishly, "Good... I'm glad again."

Yifan remembers how to smile in time for Tao to look back at him, "Me too."

 

 


Why did this take so long to update? I'll tell you why, because life isn't fair. I've been bombarded with university and work and family that i seriously didn't have the time. I'm trying to update but seriously it's just difficult to. I hope you enjoy this chapter... It took a long time... sorry to make you wait

 

tumblr_nbclchtnpX1qejlm2o1_500.gif