Unknown Caller (2/2)

Night Time Jitters

Note: theres two parts in the chapter whenre the texts suddenly

                         goes like this

                          ignore it i dont know how to fix it

sorry


 

Tao was on his way back when he spotted a familiar person leaving a gym. Kris had a towel around his neck and was busy checking his phone, completely oblivious to his surroundings. Tao smirked and had an evil idea of scaring him. He thought about sneaking up behind him and pulling his towel over his face when... Did Kris get a haircut?

It was short, like the one he had when he was still working at the youth center. Needless to say, it looked cute and Tao was going to compliment him... if he hadn't disappeared the moment the younger male decided to check the time on his phone.

This confused him, Kris was literally standing right there, how could he disappear so quickly? Shrugging to himself, Tao pocketed his phone and headed back home with thoughts of Joonmyun's last words resurfacing in his mind.

The man was with him when he received the phone call, so there was no way Joonmyun could actually be the caller... right? It couldn't have been a recording either, they weren't able to predict his answers even if that was the case.

Still, the scientist  looked completely spooked, there was no way he was fooling Tao. What the is going on here?

He didn't have much time to ponder that for when he entered the apartment he was met with his fuming boyfriend.

"Huang Zitao," Kris growled, arms crossed as he sat back on the couch. The said boy froze in his tracks, Kris's hair was back to his shaggy brown style... how? "Don't give me that look."

"I forgot to call, you didn't I? I'm sorry, but what have I said about switching languages? It's not-"

"Where were you?" he cut him off, "I had to work late last night and I expected you to be sleeping. Can you imagine my shock when I came home to an empty bed at 2 in the morning?"

"I'm sorry," Tao slid his bag off and approach the couch. Kris's cold demeanor didn't change, but he did uncross his arms to hold Tao by the waist when the maroon haired boy straddled him. He wrapped his arms loosely around the taller male's neck in an attempt to calm him down, "I was out with a friend-"

"Wasn't Luhan. He was pissed when I called him and said he didn't know ."

"I wasn't with Luhan. I was with Baekhyun."

"Baekhyun?"

"Remember the baby face from the cafe?" One of Tao's hands found its way to the back of Kris's head and started lazily playing with his brown strands of hair, "He asked me for a favor and I felt obligated to help him."

"What did you do that required the whole night?"

"Stuff."

Kris's grip on his hips tightened, "Tao-"

"Regarding him and Chanyeol."

He instantly relaxed, but his face held confusion, "Chanyeol?"

Tao nodded. He knew that bringing Chanyeol up, Kris's long time friend and coworker, would gain his interest. Chanyeol was always doing stupid so any story the younger male came up with would seem believable.

"He's got a thing for Baekhyun, you see. Baekhyun denies it, but he also likes him... even if it's just a little bit. Guess Chanyeol saw him trip and tried to help him up, but fell over his own feet and embarrassed the hell out of each other. Now he's too shy to talk to him and Baekhyun doesn't know how to help."

"Chanyeol..." Kris breathed under his breath, a smile spreading across his face, "That loser. Still doesn't explain why you were out so late."

"Movie marathon," Tao shrugged and leaned forward, pecking his lips lightly, "Don't worry about it."

"You're trying to distract me."

"Am I?"

"Tao."

"Well it's working, isn't it?" Tao smirked and claimed his lips once more, purring when he felt large hands slide under his shirt and glide across his back. The small massage sent tingles of pleasure through his body and made him shift on his lap, accidentally rubbing against something he shouldn't.  Kris's hips jerked up on instinct and had Tao grasping his shoulder's tightly.

"You seriously had me worried," Kris mumbled, pressing kisses along his neck. Tao shuddered at a particularly hard at the base of his jaw. His nails dug further into the older man's skin and Kris let out another low growl.

"How long has it been?" Tao asked quietly, tilting his head to look down at him.

"Too long."

"But you know we can't do it here. Especially not in the middle of the day."

"Well you weren't here last night, were you? Besides, time and place have never stopped us before," Tao released an surprised squeak as Kris pulled the boy down so he laid across the sofa. The taller male settled himself between his legs, distracting him with kisses as his wandering hands came to rest on the waistline of his jeans.

His fingers teased the buttons and Tao felt the blood rush to his cheeks, "K-Kris."

"Say my name babe," he breathed against his ear, his other hand circling around the back of his head and tickling the tips of his hair lightly. It provided the perfect pillow for Tao and prevented him from looking away; Kris always liked to watch his reactions, and as embarrassing as it was to show them, he couldn't help but react to those eyes practically molesting his body.

"F-, Yifan!" he cursed when the elder's knee rubbed against him.

"That's right," Kris smirked and finally undid his jeans. Tao's breath hitched when a warm palm slid against his stomach, past the band of his underwear and-

"Kris! You will not believe what happen- OH COME ON GUYS!"

Tao's hand flew to Kris's wrist and prevented him from going any further as Chanyeol shielded his eyes and backed away into the hallway, rather clumsily at that. Kris groaned and dropped his head in the crook of Tao's neck, his curses varying in different languages.

"I guess I forgot to lock the door..." Tao admitted awkwardly, a slight pant in his voice.

"This idiot and his timing," Kris lifted his head and gave him one last kiss, "To be continued."

"I'll hold you to it."

"Guys, come oooooon," Chanyeol whined childishly, "Do this gross stuff later, I have a serious issue here!"

"Does it involve a certain accountant with a nag for computers?" the brunet asked, staring up at the ceiling as he waited for an answer.

"... How did you know!?"

"So I'm right? Okay then, go away Chanyeol and I'll help you later."

"But Kris, this takes precedence."

"No, This takes precedence."

"Kris!"

"," Kris rolled off Tao with defeat and helped him to his feet. Tao laughed and fix his boyfriend's clothes and hair. Kris watched him with a fond smile, which quickly turned to a teasing one, "You should take a shower. You smell like leather and... the ocean?"

"Baek's couch had Febreze all over it," Tao shrugged and started walking off. He stopped at the intersection of the hallway and the living room and threw one last look over his shoulder, "I'd ask if you wanted to join me, but..."

Kris looked like a kicked puppy, "That's not fair."

"Hey, Chanyeol is far more important."

"Hell yeah I am," the said giant entered ungracefully and threw himself on the couch, bringing Kris down with him as he launched into a story of what troubled him. Sure enough, he actually did trip over Baekhyun while trying to help him up.

Tao concluded it was sheer luck and closed the bedroom door behind him. He sighed and shrugged his jacket off, having felt a small kink in his neck from sleeping on the chair. No matter how comfortable it was, it was still a chair.

He had the shower and was stripping himself of his clothes when he noticed something in the garbage.

Blood stained tissues.

Kris was still bleeding, and what's worse was that he was still hiding it from him. Tao thought he knew better than to keep this from him, but Kris was always so stubborn. Tao didn't think he would seek help even if he was dying... and that worried him a lot.

Tao decided he would trick him into going to the hospital, his only problem now was how. Too busy focused on Kris's health, thoughts of his earlier dilemma with Joonmyun faded and he missed his phone vibrating with a call from an unknown number.

 

--

 

Tao forgot how much stamina Kris had and found himself clocking out after their 3rd round. Normally soundless sleep followed a rigorous session of... well... . Unfortunately, he was woken up several hours later by voices in the kitchen.

Tao tried burying his face in his pillow, but the noises continued to drive his sleep away. Groaning, the maroon haired male rolled over and grabbed his phone, 3:16, what the does Kris think he's doing?

He attempted to sit up, but his lower back was already sore and the boy could feel bruises forming on his thighs. He swung his legs over the bed and stared blankly at the wall, waiting for his vision to adjust before he started looking for his clothes.

Tao found his boxers and a pair of sweats by the door, sliding them on just as he heard something hit the wall. The 'thud' made Tao jump and nearly fall over. He definitely recognized Kris's voice, but it sounded like he was talking to someone else. Is he on the phone?

Squinting as the hallway light blinded his eyes, Tao sluggishly made his way down to the kitchen. The noise grew louder and he could distinguish two distinct voices. One was obviously Kris, the other...

No way.

Tao froze at the door way, just barely out of sight as Kris spoke in a hush whisper with... Jongin? No, not Jongin. The Jongin look alike, with blond hair and grey winter clothes.

What the is he doing here? Does Kris know him? Why would he lie about it then? Is this another thing he's keeping from me? This bastard.

His thoughts spun with questions until Kris yelled, "I'm not going back!"

Tao jumped and pressed his back against the wall to completely hide himself, knowing Kris would probably look down the hallway to see if he had woken up. Then Jongin- fake Jongin- spoke, "Easy! Easy Yifan, I'm assuming I'm not the only one here." 

"You're damn well not," his boyfriend hissed, "but you knew that, which is why you chose to come here, to my home."

"We couldn't find you any other way!"

"So you used him, huh?"

"You didn't give us a choice. He's your weakness, he always has been-"

"Kai."

"Need I say more?" Kai asked. Tao was confused with his choice of words. He was Kris's weakness? That was apparent, because Kris was his but how was Kai using him against his boyfriend? Was that why... the phone calls? Was Joonmyun really in on this too? "You're going to get caught eventually, you know that right?"

"No I won't, not if you keep ing calling him. And these appearances! How did you even get here?"

"You didn't quite burn all of your work Yifan-"

"Stop calling me that. I go by Kris now," he sighed, sitting at the table. Kris buried his face in his hands and Tao wanted nothing more than to run over and comfort him, but instinct told him he should keep listening.

"Kris? So you picked that back up?" Kai sat across from him folding his hands on their hard wood table, "I'm not surprised, you have him back after all."

"I never lost him."

Kai's eyes filled with a solemn emotion, "Yifan-"

"Kris."

"You did though. That's why you're here."

"Shut up-"

"You're being selfish."

"Kai I swear."

"Your nose is bleeding again. How often has that been happening? Twice a week? Twice a day?"

"You don't know what you're talking about-"

"Suho filled me in on the dangers of 'crossing', that's exactly why I can't stay here that long. I'm not a fool. He says it's urgent you come back-"

"So why is it you're here and he isn't?" Kris smirked, wiping his nose with the back of his sleeve

"I'm the only one that passed the tests so far. My body held up to the side effects this trip would bring," he motioned to his dull colored hair, "but yours obviously isn't."

"Kai-"

"You're dying."

Tao's back hit a picture frame. The glass fell from the wall and shattered on the ground, noise seemingly deafening and attracting attention. The two looked up and finally saw Tao; Kris looked shocked and worried while Kai looked surprised.

"Tao..." the elder spoke, standing cautiously.

Tao merely shook his head. He didn't understand what they were talking about, but his suspicions were confirmed. Kris was dying and he was keeping it to himself. Panicked and hurt, Tao bolted through the living room. He ignored both boys calling his name and grabbed the closest jacket he could find (It just had to be Kris's).

However, he didn't make it past the front door. Kris had jumped over the furniture blocking his path and snagged the martial artist by the wrist. In any normal situation Tao could have easily broken through, maybe even subdue him, but with his emotions creating a chaotic mess of his head all he could to was stare up at the man with blurring vision.

"L-let go of me-"

"Tao-"

"Let go!" He shoved him off, glaring as he glanced back at Kai ad pointed a finger at him, "You. You made me think I was losing my mind. And you!" he pointed to Kris, his expression softening to that of pain, "You lied to me."

Kris grabbed his hand and tried to pull him closer, "No Taozi, I never lied-"

"You kept it from me," Tao yanked his hand away, "That's just as bad. When were you going to tell me, huh? When it was too late? Was I supposed to stay in the dark the whole time? What else are you keeping from me Yifan!?"

"Tao please," Kris was begging, his eyes were starting to glaze over with tears and he tried to usher him back in, "We'll talk, I swear. I'll explain everything, just come -"

"I-I don't think I can listen to you right now."

"Tao," Kai spoke, but the boy didn't turn to look at him. His eyes were trapped in Kris's, and he couldn't will himself to look away, "Just listen to him. Listen to us, maybe you can help me save him."

"Save him...?"

"Kai," Kris snapped, his voice the harshest Tao had ever heard, "Don't you ing dare drag him into this."

"You're giving me no choice."

"This has nothing to do with him-"

"It has everything to do with him!" Tao jumped, and looked to Kai. The blond was furious, his fists were clenched tightly and he was looking at Kris with murderous intent, "You're here because of him!"

"He still can't know!"

"," the curse came out as a choked sob and Tao stepped away, "Still keeping secrets from me."

"No," Kris grabbed his arm, but Tao pulled back and punched his face. The taller male stumbled back and Tao immediately regretted, but he couldn't apologize now. He found it hard to breathe and fell back out the door. Kai and Kris called him again, but the boy made it to the stairwell and was out of the building before they could catch up.

Tao must have looked stupid, running with no shoes, grey sweats and a black coat that was a little too big for him. Because of his outfit choice, it felt like he didn't get very far and stopped in front of convenience store. The bottom of his feet were torn and starting to bleed from contact with the asphalt, which hurt like a .

The maroon haired boy hunched over, hands grasping his thighs as he took in rushed breaths of air greedily. , running was a bad idea. Not only was he out without his cell phone and wallet, he also couldn't go back home for them. Not in the state that left it in.

Kris... He kept something important from him. He made Tao think he was a fool for seeing Kai in the subway. He didn't trust him. How could he go back now?

His attention was drawn to a ringing phone in a phone booth next to a subway entrance.  Tao furrowed his brows and looked around, there was no one nearby, absolutely no one, so who the hell was calling?

Then Tao's eyes widened. This was beginning to look a lot like the Matrix, but that was just a movie and Morpheus probably wasn't calling, right? Still, that didn't prevent him from wondering who. This is so cliché, ridiculous, and yet he found himself walking inside the glass box and picking up the phone.

The metal cord clacked against the steel box as he brought it up to his ear and spoke quietly, "... Hello?"

"Tao," It was him. Joonmyun, "Don't hang up. I have to speak with you."

"I've had enough run ins with you people today."

"I take it you've met Kai," he chuckled, "That's good. Did Kai tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"... He didn't?"

Tao shifted his weight, wincing slightly as the cuts on his feet stung him, "L-Look, a lot of weird is happening here and I just want it to stop. Leave me alon-"

"Don't hang up!" the command was sharp, pleading, "I'll tell you everything myself."

"I don't want to hear it."

"You have to. For Kris."

Tao scoffed, eyes watering, "And why would I want to help that lying bastard?"

"Because you love him... and he loves you."

He bit his lip and glanced back over his shoulder. He was still completely alone, but noticed small crimson tracks leading to where he was. Tao hoped it wouldn't attract too much attention and turned back, "Alright, what's going on Joonmyun?"

"For starters, I go by Suho. Joonmyun is another me, but in a different verse."

"'Verse'?"

"Universe. Haven't you heard the possibilities of different worlds existing."

"Different... As in a whole other dimension?"

"Yes. People speculated that there are hundreds, thousands of worlds like their own. In actuality there are two worlds parallel to each other, only slightly different. This is caused mainly by the choices we make. When we flip a coin in one universe it's heads, the other tails. I'm sure numerous media sources have exploited this theory for entertainment."

"... You really expect me to believe that there are two different worlds? Just like that?"

"You've seen the evidence, haven't you? I know you were with my other self last time you spoke to me," Suho continued, much more confident in his words than he was earlier, "And... I know you've seen Yifan."

"You mean Kris?"

"Not our Kris. Your Yifan."

Tao felt his head throb, "I don't understand."

"I watched you this morning. You almost ran into your verse's Yifan. That would have been bad."

"You watched me?!" Tao started to panic.

"I've gotten the hang of cross dimension technology. I am able to watch you from different video sources," the latter explained

"Why would you want to? Why are you?"

"Because I can't let something happen to you."

He groaned and hit his head against the glass, "I'm going to hang up."

"Don't! You don't even-"

Tao threw the phone back in the receiver and sighed. He scanned the booth for any sign of a camera and sure enough there was one in the top corner. He groaned once more and hit his head against the wall. The boy stayed like that until he heard someone tapping the glass outside and jumped back.

The sudden movement cause his feet to throb and he winced, backing up in the corner as a dark figure blocked his exit from the tiny box.

"Sorry!" the voice was familiar, so painfully familiar that Tao hoped he was imagining things.

Too bad he wasn't.

When the person stepped further inside, Tao saw short black hair and an astounded look on Kris's face. But... not Kris, right? This man was the same person he saw outside the gym, and possibly the same one Suho was referring to over the phone.

"K-Kris?" he asked hesitantly. 

'Kris' furrowed his brows and shook his head, "Sorry, I think you're confusing me with someone else. Are you alright? I saw blood and... holy crap your feet!"

Tao was speechless for a couple of seconds, until his mind finally processed his situation, "I-I'm fine. It's just a scratch."

"Don't hold it against me if I don't take your word for it. My name is Yifan, do you need any help?"

Yifan... Now Tao wished he had stayed on the phone. The boy's brain was throbbing and he didn't trust himself to speak. He simply shook his head and pushed himself past him. However, Yifan grabbed his arm in a similar manner of how Kris did in the apartment, "What?"

"You can't expect me to just let you go like this. You're injured and the way you're dressed... did someone try to hurt you?" his brown eyes were full of concern, it almost made Tao want to cry.

"N-No. I just... I can fix this when I get back home."

"Then let me walk you-

"No," Tao pulled his arm free, "I can get there on my own."

Yifan looked doubtful, "At least let me treat your feet, so it doesn't get infected. You don't even have any shoes for Christ's sake."

"Really, I can take care of myself."

"There's a store over there. I'm going to go in and buy a first aid kit," while he spoke, he lead the maroon haired boy to one of the tables outside the 24/7 mart, "If you don't want me to waste my money, you'll sit right here and wait for me to get back."

"Kri... Yifan..." Tao wanted to protest, but he was pushed into a plastic chair and the man from before had disappeared inside. The younger male groaned and buried his face in his hands. This was a bad idea, everything hurt and he shouldn't be wasting more time outside.

He had to get back. Kris was probably looking for him and that boy Kai...

Tao felt someone grab his arm and yank him from his seat. He let out a yell and was spun around. His eyes widened when he came face to face with Kris, other Kris, or whoever the hell he was.

"Found you," he breathed, eyes softening, "You ran all the way here?"

"Kris..."

"You need to come back. I swear I'll explain everything at home," he looked down, "You're feet..."

"I ran with no shoes..." Tao trailed off, eyes scanning every perfect feature of his lover's face, "I'm pissed, you know?"

"I know."

"Infuriated."

"I know."

"But I'll come home... not now though. You should leave."

"I won't leave you," Kris tugged his arm lightly, "Come home with me now."

"I can't," he resisted.

"Why?"

"Because someone's inside. Someone is expecting me to wait here."

"I don't care!"

"Kris, you're inside!" Tao snapped and the man froze, "I don't know how that's possible. I don't know if you even understand but- Kris your nose..."

"I-I'm fine," Tao reached up to wipe the blood away, but Kris released him and took a step back. Then the shop door opened and Kris's head snapped up. He quickly turned to Tao, "I'll see you at home."

"Okay..." he whispered back, returning to his seat after waiting until his boyfriend was completely gone.

Yifan approached the table with a plastic bag in one hand and clutching his head with the other. He looked pained, but said nothing as he sat down next to Tao and remained silent for a few seconds.

"Give me a minute," he mumbled, dropping the bag before grabbing his head with both hands. Tao could see the slightest hint of blood under the boy's nose and reached inside the bag to search it's contents. He found a small pack of Kleenex and ripped the plastic off hastily.

Yifan tilted his head up with the guidance of Tao's hand under his chin, and the boy lightly wiped the crimson liquid until he cleaned most of it off, "Tilt your head back."

Yifan did as he was told and used the tissue to stop the blood. He laughed, his voice gruff and sending shivers down Tao's spine, "I thought I was supposed to take care of you."

"Think of it as repayment."

"Alright then," he pulled the tissue away, deeming the bleeding to have mostly stopped, and wiped his nose one more time. Tao watched him throw the garbage on the table before shuffling through the bag he brought. He pulled out a plastic box and clicked it open, "Show me your feet."

Tao lifted his leg up and yelped when Yifan grabbed his ankle and pulled it onto his lap, "W-wait, that's-"

"-the only way I can reach your feet," he finished for him, "This may sting a little."

"It always does-OW!"

"I warned you."

"Didn't tell me when you were going to do it."

Yifan laughed as he continued to clean the boy's cuts, "Man there's a lot here. How far did you run?"

"I don't know..."

"Well where is your place?"

"Seocho 2-dong."

Yifan paused momentarily and looked up, eyes wide, "... That's nearly eight blocks from here."

Tao gaped, "I did not run eight blocks!"

"You clearly did," he chuckled and continued, "Why did you anyway? Did something happen?"

"No... Just a fight... I couldn't be there anymore."

"Do you need a place to stay?"

Tao raised a brow, "Are you offering? I'm a complete stranger you know."

"An injured stranger," Yifan corrected with a smile, gently wrapping up his foot in soft bandages, "A poorly dressed one at that. I don't think you're in a good enough state to harm me or anything."

"What if this is a ruse? To trick you?"

"Then I'm falling for it," he switched legs and looked up, holding eye contact with him, "What's your name?"

"Tao. Huang Zitao," he answered, finding it hard to look away. This was his Kris, but not at the same time... God how confusing.

"I think I've seen you at the Youth Center, coming from the gym inside I mean," he hummed, causing the boy's face to flush when his voice got lower. Yifan smirked and went back to work on his foot, "Tao... Like a peach. Taozi."

Tao's body shuddered, which Kris mistook for pain and immediately looked back up. He waved him off with his hand, "It's nothing. Just ticklish."

"I'll be more careful."

"You're fine Yifan," It felt strange using that name.

When he first spoke with Kris, that was the name he had introduced himself with. Tao didn't learn his real name until months later, by accident at that. Tao was teasing him about his foreign name and Kris had replied 'It's better than Yifan'. He didn't notice his slip up until it was too late; Tao thought he went by Kris because he didn't like his name, now he assumed it was to prevent confusion with this other one.

Which raised the question: Why are there two Yifans?

He couldn't just straight out ask him that though, so he settled for a different one, "So, what brings you out here at 4 in the morning?"

"I got a craving for ice cream- yah! Don't laugh! It was a serious craving! I raided my fridge, my neighbor's fridge, and there was nothing. I literally can't sleep without satisfying my food-fueled needs."

Tao continued to laugh, he remembered all the times his Kris had woke him up because 'Tao we're out of  cornflakes. I can't find any in the kitchen and yes I checked under the sink. We need to get some, like, now.'

"Okay Tao," Yifan gently lowered his other foot onto the ground and pulled out two cheap slippers from the bag. He placed them in front of Tao and assisted him into each one, "This should hold you until you get home."

Tao stood and winced a little at the pain caused by left over disinfectant in his cuts. It wasn't unbearable, but he didn't think he could walk eight blocks like this. He would probably have to take a cab.

"Eight blocks is quite a long walk, not to mention you can't properly move anyways."

"I'm not weak, I can do it."

"Tao," he sighed, "I know we just met, but my earlier offer still stands. You can crash on my couch and get a ride in the morning."

"Thanks Yifan," Tao smiled softly, "But I got to get home. I've got someone waiting for me."

"Girlfriend?"

"Boyfriend."

"Boyfriend... huh," Yifan's gaze fell to the floor, thinking deeply about something before they flickered up. He gave Tao a smile he had seen so many times on Kris, "What a shame."

Tao's face grew hot and he looked away, squinting when a cab car came towards them. It pulled to a stop in front of the two and the back door opened; Tao was surprised to find Kai exit it and walk towards him.

"There you are! I was looking all over for you!" he yelled, relief evident in his voice, "You shouldn't run off like that."

"Boyfriend?"

"Best friend," Kai corrected and gave him a small grateful, "Thanks for taking care of him. He's a little reckless."

"I am not!" Tao protested as he was lead to the cab. Kai ignored him and shoved him inside, walking around to get in on the other side. In the meantime, Tao rolled down his window and gave Yifan a smile, "Thank you for helping me Yifan. I'm sorry you had to take a detour from your ice cream trip."

"Don't be," he chuckled, rubbing the back of his head in an embarrassed manner, "I'm glad I got to meet you Tao... I hope to see you at the gym more often."

"Yeah... maybe," Tao shrugged and waved as the cab took off. Yifan gave a quick one back and stayed at the street corner until the cab left his line of vision. Tao knew this because he was looking back as well. it wasn't until Kai nudged him that he realized he was.

"Scary, isn't it?" he asked, leaning back in the seat, "They're so similar... practically the same person."

"Aren't they? Hypothetically?"

"No. Those two were essentially the same person up until college. Our Kris chose to major in the sciences while yours picked kinesiology."

"What's with this 'yours' and 'ours' deal?"

Kai frowned, "Didn't Suho explain it?"

Tao looked away sheepishly, "I may have hung up on him..."

The white haired male laughed whole heartedly, "Man, he use to get so irritated when that happened. When he tried to reach you before, he wouldn't get any response, even if the call connected. Were you even receiving our calls?"

"Yeah. I never spoke though. Just listened."

"Why?"

"Because Kris said not to."

"Right," he mumbled, "He would... So how much do you know?"

"Joonmy... Suho mentioned something about parallel universes. That there was only two and that Kris is from one... I think? I don't really understand," Tao clutched his head. It was spinning just thinking about it.

"Easy, you'll give yourself an aneurysm if you think about it too hard."

"I-I think I'm starting to believe it though," Tao breathed, releasing a hollow chuckle, "I mean, I just ran into a second Kris... Yifan... Whatever he's called. And then Kris came by too. God there's no mistaking it... What the is happening?"

"You'll understand later. My time here is running out though," Kai mumbled so only Tao could hear him, "And I need to tell you something before I go. I need your help, because you're the only one who can."

Tao frowned, "What?"

"Kris is dying," he stated bluntly, "He's dying because he doesn't belong here. You noticed his nose bleeds right? The longer he stays the worse it gets. His body is being rejected from this universe because there is already another Kris here; he's created a paradox. At this rate, both of them will cease to exist unless he leaves."

"Why doesn't he? Why is that fool still here then!?" Tao yelled with wide eyes. Kai quickly shushed him, glancing at the cab driver who looked confused, "Why Kai?"

"Because of you," he stated solemnly, his hard gaze melting to one of sadness, "He's here because... because you are. He'll tell you why himself, but what I need you to do is convince him to go back. He needs to come home."

Tao was speechless. He didn't know how to reply to Kai, but it seemed like he wasn't waiting for one. The cab came to a stop in front of his apartment and Kai motioned for him to get out.

Tao did as he was told and stared back up at their building. Kris was inside, and he was going to give him answers... wasn't he? The maroon haired male looked back to Kai, who was still seated in the car.

"I have to go back," he repeated, "I know this is tough, but we need your help Tao. I wish it didn't have to come to this."

Tao didn't respond. The corner of Kai's lip quirked up and he gave him a slight wave before the cab took off again. Tao didn't wait for it to be gone when he started walking up the stairs. Kai kept saying he needed his help, that Kris needed to go home but couldn't because Tao was here. Why was it his fault?

The front door was opened when he got there and Kris was leaning against the door frame, staring intently at his phone. He heard the sound of feet shuffling and looked up to see Tao approaching. Tao smiled slightly and let the taller male pull him into a hug. His own arms stayed at his waist, fighting the urge to wrap around him as well.

"Why did you have to run?"

"Why did you have to lie?"

Kris gave no answer. He simply lead the boy back into their home and guided him to the kitchen table. He had prepared two cups of tea, still warm, and waited for Tao to take a seat. Instead of sitting besides the taller male, Tao picked up his cup and moved to the seat farthest from him. If Kris was hurt by the action he hid it well and sat down at the head of the table. The brunet palmed his cup and took a small sip before he began, "Suho got into contact with you, didn't he?"

"He did," Tao mumbled quietly, swirling the murky liquid in his own mug.

"As you probably guessed by now... I'm not from here. In my world, I wasn't some basketball coach or pencil pusher. I was a scientist working on quantum physics. I honestly thought theories of different worlds were childish, wishful thinking for those who have nothing and didn't pay too much attention to it. What good would that do me? I had what I wanted already, I didn't need to seek out other places to fill missing gaps in my life."

"What did you have?"

Kris looked him in the eyes, gaze honest and strong, "You, 'Tao'."

Tao's expression softened, "Me?"

"Your other self and I were together in my world. We met at a bar and at first he wouldn't give me the time of day. After a few weeks of trying to court him, he finally agreed to date me if I beat him in basketball... I won obviously. It was one date, but I managed to change his mind that night," he smiled tenderly, "We were together for years... I wanted to settle down with him, officially I mean."

"What do you mean 'were'?" Tao was blushing at his words, but confused by the tense he used.

"Last year..." Kris was having trouble speaking, "You... My Tao left to go get something from the store. Something about not having any pens. I didn't think much of it because you... he often lost a lot of his materials and needed to restock every couple of weeks. I was waiting for him to come back so we could go see a movie we were looking forward to...

"He didn't come back though. I waited, I called, and eventually I left and looked for him, but I couldn't find him. It wasn't until I got a call from the police that I knew what happened," Kris sighed and covered his eyes with his hands, rubbing hard as he rasped out the next words, "He was killed. Caught in a drive by shooting by Seoul's most notorious."

The air was tense, silent, and Tao's own thoughts sounded like they were screaming inside his head. He... no, his other self was dead? Did that mean he was supposed to have died in the shooting last year? If Kris hadn't have come, he would...

"Then that means..." Tao began, "You knew that convenience store was going to get hit."

"I'm getting there," he answered patiently, "After he passed, I became a wreck. I launched myself into my research hoping for a distraction, but it didn't work. I couldn't stop thinking about him... If I had gone with him, if I had offered to get him some from another place... if we had just stayed together, it could have been avoided."

"K-Kris," Tao's eyes were watering. The man across him looked so distressed, so broken and Tao felt his body twitch to get up and hold him, to do anything to get rid of that sorrow he wore. But he couldn't... he just couldn't.

The two sat in silence for a long while. Neither spoke, which only served to make the atmosphere more tense. Tao thought he was done with his story until a rushed breath escaped his throat, "Suho discovered it by accident. Your world, I mean."

"He did?"

Kris nodded and pulled himself away. He stared at Tao tiredly, threading his fingers through his brown tousled hair, "He was running an experiment with water and an unknown metal that came from space. We concluded it was a piece of material from a wormhole that was still coated in radiation. The metal reacted to the water and opened up a portal of sorts. Suho didn't know how to stabilize it and was set on just giving up the research. He thought it was too dangerous, hopeless, but for me it held opportunity."

"Opportunity?" Tao furrowed his brows.

Kris nodded, "I took over his project, worked on it day and night until I finally was able to create a stable portal to your universe. They tried to stop me, Suho, Kai and the others... I didn't listen though and I left. I didn't want them to follow me either, so I took most of my research and destroyed what I could over there."

"Why did you do it though?" Tao urged him for an answer, "Why did you cross?"

"Because you are here," Kris broke eye contact, looking at his cup, "Your world is a year behind ours. I managed to get here before you could go to that store; I was able to save you. Here... you could still be mine."

"Kris-"

"It's selfish I know, but I don't care. I'm willing to risk everything for you," Kris stood and walked around the table. Tao tensed in his seat but that didn't stop the elder from kneeling down and grasping his hands gently, "Do you understand now? Everything I did, I did for you."

"Why keep it from me?" Tao mumbled, "Why hide it?"

"Would you have believed me?" he chuckled, "You didn't need to know."

"I think I have a right to, especially if you're dying because you're here," Tao pulled his hands away.

"I'm fine," Kris reached for him again, but Tao stood and moved away, "Tao-"

"I'm tired Kris. My feet hurt, my head hurts, I just... I'm done for the night."

The man nodded, making no move to stop him as Tao limped towards their bedroom. He stopped at the frame when Kris called out to him, "I'll sleep on the couch."

Tao didn't reply verbally. He nodded and closed the door silently behind him.

 

--

 

Tao thought it would be awkward the following morning, but last night's turn of events took a toll on his body and he ended up sleeping until noon. Kris was gone, he left a note on the counter along with a cup of coffee gone cold. Tao didn't bother to read it (but tucked it into his pocket anyways) and left to go for a walk.

He just wanted to clear his head, think to himself for a little bit. Tao had to laugh, the last time he went for one of these 'getaways' was when Kris asked him to move in, to be closer. He wasn't sure at first, even then he thought Kris was hiding things from in. All it took to crumble his resolve was a kiss and a promise of being more open.

So much for that.

Half way through his walk, the aspirin he took earlier had work off and his feet were killing him again. Tao took refuge on a nearby bench, watching children attempting to dip their feet in the Han River and couples teasingly push each other near the edge.

The sight made him feel slightly bitter and he sunk back in the hard wood. He continued to scan the crowds until someone took a seat next to him. He glanced at the stranger from the corner of his eyes and saw a head of white hair. Is Kai back already?

"I must admit, I hate being hung up on," That wasn't Kai's voice. Tao turned and blinked in surprise at the sight of Joon- Suho sitting beside him. The similarities between the two scientists were uncanny, aside from the disheveled white hair. They were practically twins, but Tao mentally scolded himself for even thinking that. After all, they are practically the same person.

"Sorry. I was... confused," he mumbled, looking back to the river, "So your hair is white too?"

"Side effect of traveling. I haven't completely figured it out yet but some things just don't transfer during the cross. I believe it has something to do with the dead skin sells our hair is made up of."

"That makes no sense."

"I didn't expect you to understand. I'll just settle with a different explanation then: I have no clue."

"Simple and easy to understand," He hummed in response, "What brings you here? I thought you couldn't cross."

"Who said that?"

"I heard Kai tell Kris."

"Right," Suho sighed, "It was hard, but I managed to make it. Of course this is my first and second to last trip. Such a pity... I hoped it would have lasted longer." Tao eyed the male from his peripheral vision. He looked weak, pale, and almost a little reminiscent, "I use to come here with him... before the tragedy. He told me everything here. His worries, his plans for the future. Our last pleasant conversation was him talking about proposing."

"... Are you talking about Kris?"

"Who else?" Suho turned to look at him, "We need him back Tao."

"Then take him."

"It's not as simple as that."

"And why not?"

"Because neither of you want him to leave."

Tao scoffed and shook his head, his red bangs falling into his eyes, "I never said that."

"It's as clear as day, you don't need to say it," Suho hummed, "It's sad... he's worked so hard to find you and now that he has... he doesn't have enough time to spend with you."

The silence that took over felt heavy. Tao's thoughts fluttered around, fighting with each other in a brutal battle of rational and selfishness.

"I don't want him to leave," He admitted, "But I don't want him to die either."

"Neither do we."

A breeze picked up, chilling the exposed skin on Tao's neck and sending goose bumps down his spine. Suho shifted so is coat was wrapped tighter around his smaller body, but he didn't look to affected by it. He was watching the younger boy though, waiting as if he knew what he was going to ask.

"What will you have me do?" it came out soft, almost taken by the wind but Suho heard him perfectly.

"Are you sure?" Tao nodded, "it won't be easy for you, emotionally, but I promise you the end result is worth it."

"So tell me already. What must I do?"

 

--

 

Kris came home while Tao was cooking dinner. It wasn't anything great, just some kimchi jjigae, but he still heard the elder take in a deep breath of the scent filling the house.

"Smells good," he trailed off once he stepped inside. Tao knew why, in the middle of the dining table was a plate of freshly cut peaches. This was something they did after a really bad fight, it was a sort of peace offering given to the latter when they wanted all the bad air to dissipate. Some of their friends thought it was silly, but it really meant something to them.

That's why Tao smiled when he felt arms wrap around his waist and a head rest against his shoulder.

"I'm cooking," he mumbled, not at all sounding as irritated as he should.

"Taozi..." Kris breathed, "I'm sorry."

"I know. You've said it many times."

"I love you."

Tao stopped stirring and turned in his hold. Kris's eyes were red, on the verge of shedding tears and Tao couldn't help but cup his face in a comforting manner, "I know."

"Do you love me?"

"Of course I do."

"Do you forgive me?"

"Would I have peaches on the table if I didn't?"

Kris released a choked laugh and pulled Tao closer, kissing him deeply and catching him off guard. An undignified squeak left the maroon haired boy's throat and he tried to get him off, but Kris was persistent. He pushed Tao against the counter and clutched his hips tightly. Tao trembled against his chest and almost fell forward when they finally pulled back.

"Got carried away," Kris admitted sheepishly.

Tao threw a harmless glare toward him, "You think?"

"Sorry."

"No you're not."

"I'm not," he smirked and tried to kiss him again, but Tao placed a hand over the elder's mouth.

Kris gave him a confused look and Tao shook his head, "I'm still... mad. You're suffering here Kris, and I don't want you to. I don't want you to be taken away from me. I don't want you to... die."

"I won't" he pulled the hand away and gripped it reassuringly in his own, "I'll look for a way. I'll probably have to see this world's Joonmyun for the equipment I'll need, but I'll start looking for a loophole; something to cover these paradoxes. Trust me, I will fix this."

Tao didn't trust himself to speak. The sad part about this was that he knew Kris meant every word he said. The brunet would probably start searching for an anomaly of some sort, a 'glitch' he can manipulate and use to stop his deteriorating body from getting any worse.

Kris would work so hard to find it, so he could stay with him.

If only he was given the chance.

 

--

 

The morning felt colder than usual.

It had been a week since Tao had forgiven Kris, a week since their life had returned to normal, a week completely dedicated to the couple. They had gone out for movies, for food, to play sports, just simply be with each other.

It was the most fun Tao had ever had, and he wished it would never end... Foolish thinking that was.

Now they walked together, killing time roaming the streets of Seoul while looking for something to do. Kris had gotten off the day off and suggested they just wander, since he knew how much of a daydreamer Tao was. The boy would often get lost in his own thoughts by simply walking around, but it relaxed him.

However, Tao felt far from relaxed at the moment.

"Kris! We're in public!" he hissed, attempting to free his hand from the death grip his boyfriend had on him.

Kris laughed at his distraught expression and pulled him closer, whispering in his ear, "Does it look like I care?"

"No, and you should."

"Taooooozi, don't ruin the mood."

"What mood? There is no mood! Let go!"

"So stubborn."

"You have no right to talk! You wouldn't let us leave the mall yesterday until you went back to that toy store and bough that giant Rikkuma plushie!"

"Tao, he had eyebrows. How could I pass that up?"

"Simple, by walking away. I could feel his gaze on me when we slept Kris. It's creepy."

"It's adorable and you're overreacting," Kris smirked, having decided he won their little banter. Tao huffed and pulled him down an alley way, "Where are we going?"

"Just taking a short cut," Tao shrugged and looked up at Kris, "So how has work been for you lately?"

"Tiresome, remedial, dull," he listed, "but I won't bore you with details on that... Actually, I got into contact with Joonmyun."

"Joonmyun? As in..."

"Joonmyun Joonmyun. I'm going to meet with him tomorrow for lunch to discuss the details of my research."

Tao looked away, staring straight ahead as he processed the information, "So... you're going through with this?"

"Of course I am."

"And what if you find nothing?"

"Tao-"

"I'm being serious here," Tao stopped walking, "I won't have you die for me Kris. I will not carry that guilt knowing there was something  I could have done."

"What could you-"

"What if you find nothing?" he repeated, "What then?"

"Hey," Kris stepped closer and grabbed his chin, tilting it so he wouldn't be able to look away, "We talked about this. I am going to stop these nosebleeds. I will stop my body from falling apart. This will happen, but not if I don't put any effort into it. You doubt my abilities Tao. I can do anything. I was able to come to you, wasn't I?."

"R-right," Tao gently pushed his hand away looked down, his face contorted by guilt and pain, "Of course..."

"Tao?"

"Let's go Kris," he took his hand again and continued walking. He knew Kris was confused by his 'strange' behavior, but Tao was trying his best not to fall apart too soon. He still had to carry through with the plan. They were nearing the place after all.

 

 

"You want me to take him where we first met?"

"Yes, we call that initial contact," Suho explained, using Tao's phone to pull up the location of the convenience store, "That's where Kris materialized after crossing. This whole zone became the strongest point of contact but that one spot in particular will be powerful enough to bring multiple bodies through. Kai and myself will be waiting there and when you two come, we'll be fully prepared to bring Kris back with us."

"So, what, You're just going to grab him and go?"

"We'll have to. The portal is only open for a limited period of time. Unless we want to get stuck here for God knows how long then we'll need to be quick."

"How long does it stay open for?"

"Time fluctuates, but it's been a steady five to eight minutes in the last three trips."

Tao gaped at him, "So essentially I only have five to eight minutes to say goodbye to the man I love?"

"I said it wasn't going to be easy on your emotions, but yes. Are you still willing?"

Tao released a shaky sigh and buried his face in his hands, trying to calm the quiver he felt in his throat before he spoke again, "When?"

"A week from now, Wednesday at 9:26. That's when the stars will be aligned, literally. If we're lucky, it'll give you more time to say your farewells," Suho finished, brushing his coat off of it's invisible dust after he stood, "This is going to be difficult, I know. But even so, I hope to see you there."

"Alright," Tao sniffed and stood as well, "Alright..."

"Tao?"

"Yes?"

Suho smiled sadly and squeezed his shoulder, "I am truly sorry."

 

 

"Tao?" Kris's voice sounded heavy, and the solid grip he had on his hand was enough to pull him from his memories.

They had left the alley way and were standing in front of the convenience store, bullet holes marred the once smooth brick walls and a 'Closed' sign hanged loosely off the shattered glass door. The corner was barren, a rare sight in a busy city like Seoul, except for a white haired figure leaning against the wall beside the broken door. An ominous wind picked up as they got nearer, picking up scattered papers around them and sending them in a fluttering fit.

Tao tore his gaze away from Kai to look at his boyfriend, who was wiping away the blood from his nose, glaring angrily at the intruder, "Kai... What the are you doing here?"

"Need you ask?"

Kris's eyes widened and he tried to turn away, but Tao refused to budge with him, "Tao!"

"You're not going anywhere Kris," his voice eerily monotonous for someone falling apart on the inside, "It's for your own good."

"Tao... Tao no, no, no," he repeated shakily, standing in front of his lover and attempting to coax the younger male into looking at him, "They've tricked you. They just want to take you away from me. They don't understand that I can fix this problem."

"No you can't," Kai shook his head, walking towards the couple, "Time takes care of the world. It creates change, evolution, and will always find a way to correct itself. It's supposed to remain a constant power, but you're disrupting it. You're a change it didn't make, so it's trying to correct itself by destroying you."

"I already said I would fix that!" he snapped at the shorter male, "Stay out of this Kai! You're nothing but Suho's pawn!"

"In what? In trying to save you!? Kris we were friends. I can't just leave you here!"

"We were," he spat harshly and tried to move away, but this time Tao caught his wrists and glared, disregarding the tears building up. He's cried too many times since this whole thing started, he refused to shed another tear.

"You're going back Kris. You have to."

"Tao... you're-"

"This isn't me doubting you Kris," he interrupted, "This is me saving you."

"I'm not going to die Tao. I can stop it."

"But you're not the only one suffering... We're not the only ones."

"What?"

"Your other self... my Yifan is dying too."

Kris's looked taken aback, "I'm your Yifan."

"Oh Kris," he smiled sadly, "I'm not your Tao."

"No," his voice cracked, "Don't say that. You are mine. You always have been."

"Kris, I was yours," I still am, "but you can't hurt yourself like this. You're dying for me, don't you know how much that hurts?"

"I can fix-"

"You can't!" Tao shoved Kris away, closer to the door, "You can't! You'll try and try and then what?  You'll die trying! I can't wait around for that!"

Two pairs of hands gripped Kris's arms tightly. The taller male gasped and looked down at Suho and Kai dragging him towards the shop door, which glowed a light blue. On the other side was an almost exact replica of Joonmyun's labs at E.X.O, only messier.

"No!" he struggled against their grip, but an unexplained pull coming from the portal was aiding the two struggling scientists. It was like the dimensional rift was attempting to fix its mistake by bringing the cause of it back.

Tao promised himself he wouldn't cry, but the way Kris was screaming his name and fighting the two was heartbreaking. Tao let out a choked sob and ran forward, calling out to Kris. The said male managed to push the two off him, sending them back into the portal and on the floor of the labs.

He caught Tao in his arms and hugged his trembling body close to him, shushing his 'sorrys' with the gentle rub of his back.

"Kris, Kris..." he cried, "I-I'm sorry."

"Tao, Taozi, Little peach," he breathed against his ear, "It's okay, please stop apologizing, it's okay."

"Kris, Yifan," Tao looked up at him, brows furrowed in anguish, "I love you."

"I love you too."

His lips twitched into a smile and Tao pulled him into a kiss, only it felt more sorrowful than love-filled. When they pulled away, Kris looked at him strange; however what happened next knocked the breath out of him.

Tao pushed him hard, with what felt like all the strength he could muster, and sent him tumbling back into the portal. Kris slipped on the tile and fell back in a similar manner to Suho and Kai, only the two boys managed to pin him down while he screamed Tao's name.

"What the hell are you doing?!" the younger boy tried to ignore him as he ran to the door and grabbed the edge of it, cutting his hand on some broken glass sticking out from the corners, "No, No stop! Don't do this! TAO!"

"I'm sorry Kris," Tao gave him one last smile before slamming the door closed, hearing the bone chilling echo of his name die with the wind. Pieces of garbage that were spinning in the air before fell back to the ground with a hollow thud, and Tao's body fell with no exception.

He curled up into his knees and hid his face away, sniffing and biting the edge of his sleeves to keep his sobs in.

He had done it. He had sent Kris back home, back to where he belonged. In a way he had saved Kris, but lost everything that mattered to him in the process. His heart was shredded, his emotions were making him sick, he didn't know what to do now.

Tao wished he could just sit there forever, wallow in regret and anger for the rest of his miserable existence. That sounded much better than returning home to an empty apartment, to a place that would be full of Kris and yet empty without him.

What was he to do now?

 

--

 

An echo of footsteps.

The wrinkling of a plastic bag.

Static whine from headphones.

Silence.

Tao didn't realize he had been sitting there for hours, but if the sky was any indication he had been there for pretty much the whole day. It was growing late and luckily no one had come to disturb him, but this silence was short lived when Tao looked up from his knees and looked to the stranger.

Short black hair, tall build, prominent eyebrows. He looked slightly surprised to see Tao sitting there and Tao couldn't blame him. Finding a boy with puffy eyes outside of an abandoned store covered with bullet holes wasn't exactly an everyday occurrence.

He didn't want to see him though, and hid his face back in his knees. The younger boy wished the stranger would just go away, but that wasn't happening.

"I see you're wearing shoes this time," Yifan observed, and Tao felt him walk closer.

"Go away," he mumbled weakly, "I don't want to see anyone right now." Especially you.

"Did something happen?" he asked instead, choosing to ignore the boy's request as he took a seat next to him.

"No."

"Fight with your boyfriend?"

"..."

"I see. Did you two break up?"

Tao sniffed and tilted his head to look at him, "You could say that."

"Was it a messy break up?"

"The messiest."

Yifan tsked and reached into his bag. He pulled out a six pack of Cass and snapped the tab off one of them, splitting the can open before offering it to Tao. The younger boy took it hesitantly and watched as he opened another one for himself, "Best thing to do now is get drunk I suppose."

"I was never much of a drinker."

"Neither am I, but I won't let you drink alone," he held up his can, "Cheers."

Tao stared at him blankly before lifting his up and clacking them together. Yifan took a quick shot of his, grimacing at the bitter taste afterwards and causing a chuckle to erupt from the otherwise depressed boy. 

"Don't force yourself now," he said with a small smile, taking a short drink of his.

"I just drank too much too quickly," Yifan corrected, "But like you said, I'm not much of a drinker."

"Then why do you have beer?"

"I'm meeting up with a friend later. He said he saw me a week or two ago, but that's impossible. I was working," he chuckled. Tao remembered back to when he met Jongin in their apartment and felt slightly bad for causing confusion. He had forgotten that his... the other Kris would cause that sort of misunderstanding.

"I see," just thinking about Kris made his chest ache. He hunched back forward, can dangling precariously from his finger tips.

"Yeah..." Yifan noted the change of behavior and shifted closer. Tao jumped when he felt an arm fall across his shoulder and looked up to see Yifan nonchalantly drinking. He breathed a small sigh and stared at the darkening sky, "It's okay to let it out. Keeping it in will do you no good."

"Yifan-"

"It just makes things worse, trust me," he turned to the side, away from Tao. The hand on his shoulder tightened in a reassuring manner. Tao opened his mouth to protest, but what Kris said next silenced him, "It's okay Tao."

It's okay.

And he cried.

 

 


 

Yup, so this is over. Yay. ing finally, took forever. sorry for the wait. welcome new subscribers! theres so many of you now, i was quite shocked. I hope you enjoy my otherwise hopeless work. my next oneshop is gonna be happy like Idol Radar, so it wont be as sad as this piece of . however, i have an epilogue in mind for this particular oneshot. it'll probably be like 5-8 pages. Would you guys be interested in it? Ill put up a pole so you can vote. Thanks for reading. sorry for the mistakes, i tried my best to find them but im tired, who knows what i missed. Thanks for reading

 

tumblr_m9523gBc491r7zjguo2_500.gif

i could have sworn i copied a Tao gif... oh well, hey bby gyu