Interview

Night Time Jitters

 

The camera shutter sounded through the college campus, startling the subject of the photo and causing it to fly off into the sanctuary of a nearby tree. Kris tsked, seeing the bird’s head peek through the branches when just moments before it was drinking from a small fountain. He reviewed the photo on the Canon’s tiny screen and nodded in approval.        

“Bird watching?” a familiar voice hummed, causing the taller male to turn around. He frowned and brought the camera up, taking a picture of the editor's smirking face.

“Nope,” he replied, “Just killing time. I’m waiting for Yixing to come here so we can get the story and go.”

“Yixing texted me, he’s busy and needs you to find a story on your own.”

Kris groaned, “You’re kidding. Do you see what I look like?”

“Yeah, a faced photographer stalking birds-” Jongdae didn’t get to finish. Kris reached his slim arm over and slapped the back of his head, “Ow! What!?”

“I would have accepted the attractive god of the college paper, but this ‘ face’, which you so rudely insulted, intimidates people.”

“’Intimidates people’? Don’t you mean scares-?”

“Another word Jongdae, and I’ll make sure you’ll little ‘Chen’ becomes ‘Chennita’.”

“Chennita? What kind of girl’s name-”

“Shut up.”

Jongdae laughed, “So what kind of article did you get assigned this time?”

“It’s pretty vague,” he pulled out his notebook, “Just says to find something interesting.”

“’Something interesting’?”

“Something Interesting,” he slid it back into his pocket and noticed the bird from earlier had come out of hiding. It rested on an old bench behind the editor, nipping between its obsidian feathers. Kris’s eyes widened and he lifted his camera, ignoring Jongdae’s eye roll as he crept behind the latter.

“Sometimes I wonder about you,” he sighed, stepping aside for the blonde to get a clearer shot. Kris glared at him and took a step closer, finger hovering over the capture button. The bird felt his intentions and flew off again, just as the boy took the picture.

“Damn it!” He cursed, straightening up and looking at his camera.

Jongdae laughed and stuffed his hands in his pockets, “I’m heading out. Got a midterm to study for and articles to edit.”

Kris would have replied with something clever, witty, and something that he could brag to Luhan about later, but at the moment couldn’t seem to form a proper sentence. He was about to delete the picture until he saw a dark silhouette passing a window in the building across from him. At first he thought it was a ghost and began to think that he had a story after all. However, after zooming in on the figure he realized it was none other than Huang ZiTao, the Chinese transfer student.

The boy was mysterious, hardly talked to anyone on campus and always disappeared at late hours of the night. He was a puzzling student… and possibly the answer to Kris’s prayers.

“Hey Jongdae.”

“I prefer ‘Chen’.”

“I’m not going to call you by your pen name,” he smirked and held up the camera, “I’ve got my story.”

--

Tao dropped his gym bag on the floor, lazily pulling boxing tape out of his pocket and wrapping his knuckles up. He examined the sand bag; it was worn out and looked like it would collapse at any minute. However, the constant abuse it took over the years proved the statement ‘don'tjudge a book by its cover’. He spun the bag a few times and took a step back, planting his feet into the ground in a firm stance.

Then, he struck.

Over and over again, Tao’s charcoal black hair glistened with sweat from his forehead as his precise attacks hit the bag with bone crushing force. He didn’t hear the door open and was more than startled when he felt something touch his shoulder. The freshman spun around, raising his leg to kick the intruder.

--

Kris jumped when he saw a foot coming towards his head and lifted his arm just in time to block it. He winced at the pain, but none the less kept a poker face and stared at the feisty student. Tao stared back with just as much power and dropped his leg, cocking his head to the side as if he were confused.

“That hurt,” Kris mumbled, “Sorry to surprise you.”

The boy didn’t answer and remained staring. The intensity of his gaze the elder in and gave him a good look of the boy’s appearance.

Until now, Kris had never really known what Tao looked like. He had heard descriptions from underclassman or quick glances in the crowd, but seeing him now made him wonder why he never introduced himself before.

The boy was tall, but not as tall as him, and had raven black hair. His eyes were sharp, but the dark circles under them gave him an animalistic appeal… like a vicious panda. His arms were well toned from his apparent work outs and his legs were stronger than they looked ( he would know,  his arm was still throbbing with the kick from earlier).

However Kris had a nagging feeling that there was much more behind the boy’s cold and distant demeanor and he intended to uncover it.

“Anyways,” he coughed, fiddling with the camera in his hand, “I’m with the college news paper, ‘Two Moons’, and I would like to interview you for a story.”

Kris tapped his foot and waited for a response, any sort of acknowledgement from the freshman. Instead, he stared blankly at the blonde for a couple of seconds before walking towards his bag and grabbing a towel. He hung it around his neck and wiped his forehead before reaching inside the pocket and pulling out a grey case.

Tao ped it and pulled out a small translator; flipping it open, he typed a few words into it, scanned the contents and looked back at Kris.

“S-sorry,” he spoke in broken Korean, “D-don’t… understand.”

Kris smiled, “Would it be better if I spoke like this?”

Tao’s eyes widened at the familiarity of his mother tongue, “You speak Mandarin too?”

“I was born in Guangzhou, but I moved here from Canada a few years ago.”

“Canada?” Tao sat down on a bench and looked at him curiously, “You lived in Canada?”

Kris nodded and sat down beside him, “Let me reintroduce myself, I’m Wu Fan, but everyone calls me Kris.”

Tao smiled, taking the blonde aback, he has a nice smile, "Huang ZiTao, but my friends call me Tao."

“Nice to meet you Tao…”

“So what were you asking me earlier? At least I assume you were asking me something,” he kicked his legs back and forth a little childishly, waiting for the elder to respond, “My Korean isn’t very good, but you said something about a news paper?”

“Yes,” he reached into his bag and pulled out the last issue of the school paper, “I’m a part of the campus paper, ‘Two Moons’ and was looking for a new story. I saw you a little while ago and figured I could interview you.”

“Why?”

“Why indeed…”

Tao laughed, “How mysterious.”

“I could say the same about you,” Kris smirked and pulled out his note pad, “I can see my story now, ’Huang ZiTao, A striking young transfer student who’s steely glare can freeze anyone in their track, but what really lies behind those obsidian eyes?”

“Nice statement.”

“It’ll be the lining to my article, but I can’t publish it if I don’t answer that question.”

“I see.”

“So Tao,” Kris rolled his head to the side and smiled, “would you help me solve this mystery?”

Tao bit his lip and looked down at his lap. A few seconds passed before he nodded, “Why not? You’re the first person to really talk to me anyways.”

“I am?”

“Mhmm, well there’s this guy named Luhan, but he seems to be too preoccupied with my classmate Sehun.”

“Are you and Sehun friends?”

“No, I just sit next to him in Econ.”

Kris nodded, “Sorry; that was a bit off topic.”

“Its fine,” Tao smiled, “I like talking to you.”

He smiled back and got out a working pen, “So Tao, why did you move to Korea?”

“My excuse was to study, but I really want to audition for Sment.”

“Sment? Why? Do you want to be a singer?”

Tao laughed, “I rap.”

“Oh, me too; in my free time at least.”

“Really? Can you show me?”

“Maybe next time,” Kris motioned to the sand bag, “What sort of training were you doing?”

“Some boxing, but I’m actually more interested in Wushu.”

“Wushu?” Kris stopped writing, “You’re a martial Artist?”

Tao blushed and looked away sheepishly, “I-I’ve been training since I was six.”

“Since you were six?! That’s… that’s incredible.”

“Thanks. I usually practice late so I don’t disturb anyone else in the gym. I wouldn’t want to be a bother to them.”

“So you come here when you sneak off from the dorms,” Tao nodded, “Well I’m sorry to have disturbed your training.”

“No it’s fine,” Tao waved his hand, “I’m not antisocial, but I only train because I have nothing better to do.”

“What about your friends? Can’t you hang out with them?”  

He looked down again, avoiding Kris’s gaze as if he had done something wrong, “I haven’t talked to people much since I came here. It’s hard for me to communicate and my… ‘steely eyes’ kind of frighten people off.”

“Really...”

“Yeah, but it’s okay. I’m glad we talked. It’s nice to speak to someone comfortably like this,” he looked up, “It makes e feel a little less homesick.”

Tao’s smile was enough to get Kris to tear the piece of paper he had written on out of his note pad and crinkle it up. The martial artist’s was shocked to see the elder throw the crumbled ball in a trash bin behind them and put the small book away.

“Ah… Sorry, was my ‘story’ not what you were looking for?” the freshman asked, failing to mask the hurt in his eyes.

“Oh on the contrary, it’s exactly what I’m looking for. But…”

“But?”

Kris smirked and leaned forward, resting his elbow on his knee and his head in the palm of his hand. He stared thoughtfully at the younger before he continued, “I don’t want anyone else to know it. Call me greedy Tao, but I intend to keep you all to myself.”

Tao blushed and stared slightly confused back, “Y-You mean...”

“I hope we can get along a lot more in the future,” Kris stood up and grabbed his bag, “I’ll leave you to your training for now. However I’ll be back here again tomorrow morning. I hope to see you around… nine? Yeah nine.”

“O-okay.”

He smiled again and patted his shoulder, “I’ll help you with your Korean too. By the end of the semester, you’ll be as fluent as me.”

“Really?!”

“Deh,” Kris turned to leave, “Annyeong.”

Tao watched him leave, the last image of him being his back in the rather small looking door frame before he disappeared down the hall. The boy felt his cheeks still hot from his earlier words and covered them with his hands.

Call me greedy Tao, but I intend to keep you all to myself.

He shook his head and smiled, standing up straight and grabbing his wushu stick he had left yesterday. The raven haired boy spun it around from hand to hand for a few minutes before stopping abruptly and sighing.

“How does he expect me to continue training when he leaves me off on those words?” he groaned, leaning his forehead against the stick. Though Tao was originally annoyed at how distracted he was with those simple words, he couldn’t help but smile.

 He was glad to have met Kris, but he was even gladder to have made a friend. 

 

 


 

I hope you don't mind, but i tried something new. There's only so much you can write on a realistic scale without it being too ridiculous and since this is a fanfic i tried stepping more into the fiction boundries of writing.

This story idea is actually something i've had in mind for a long time. A while ago someone had a contest to write a oneshot based on commenters ideas, and since my friend asked me to contribute i threw in this plot. However, to my knowladge this plot wasn't used, so therefore i'm using it now. If this is similar to anyones story, then it's all purly coincidental, i promise you.

Anyways, if you guy's like this, please let me know and i'll continue writing more oneshots like it. If you don't then i'll stick with 'Band fics'... you know i think it'll be easier if i just put a poll.

 

 

tumblr_mcttbik6hz1rbbgu3o1_500.gif

Anyways... annyeong?