The Fourth Scar

✖ T H E B E A U T I F U L S C A R ✖

✖ 

 

“People are like stained-glass windows.

They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,

But when the darkness sets in,

Their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

 

✖ 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
 
THE FOURTH SCAR 
 
___________________________________________________________________________________

 

“______-ah.” Jonghyun could barely whisper my name.

“You look amazing.”

An assistant rolled out a full-length mirror in front of me, and I stared at myself. I was wearing a black dress that ruffled at the knees. It was simple, but contrasted greatly with my pale skin. My hair was let loose in waves and slightly messy, and the makeup artists were so great here that they actually managed to cover up my ugly scar. I made a note to myself to ask them what product they used on my face-if I looked like this everyday, I wouldn’t be scared of facing others. I wouldn't be anxious anymore, and I could feel like others would begin to accept me, despite my flaws and my appearance. I would no longer be the ugly girl anymore. 

 

Gomowo, Jjong. I’ll try not to trip in these six-inch heels for you.” 

 

I smiled at him and he grinned, while I took one more glance at the mirror. Fixing my hair, Jonghyun suddenly came up to me and put an arm around my shoulder, squeezing me to him. “I told you that you were more beautiful than those girls.” I laughed at his compliment, thinking that he was still joking. “Yeah, but this is all makeup, sweetie.”“On your dazzling face, ______.” He smiled at me, and we stayed like that for a while, looking at the mirror, me thinking about all the possibilities of looking like this, and Jonghyun thinking about other things. I wasn’t sure what they were, but for some reason, I didn’t want to divulge into it. If I did, I felt like I would lose the comfort that I had with him. I wouldn’t have a best friend anymore, and there’d be no one to accept me for who I was. I would, once again, be alone. 

Our thoughts were suddenly intercepted by someone whistling.

Jaejoong entered the room, looking at me. I suddenly felt exposed, and hid slightly behind Jonghyun, who instantly stepped forwards. “Well, sweetheart, you clean up better than I thought you would.” He grinned at me, and I glared at him, while Jonghyun looked at both of us.

 

“You two know each other?”

“No-” I said at the same time as Jaejoong said “Yes.”

 

I frowned at him as angrily as possible, while Jaejoong’s smile and Casanova attitude suddenly deflated. He looked at me, inwardly scrutinizing and criticizing, and quickly turned to a passing assistant. “Take the concealer off her face. Leave her left cheek all natural.” My eyes widened, while the assistant grabbed my arm and started taking some water and gently dabbling it across my cheek. I looked on, horrified, as the skin tone started coming off and the red streaks of my scar started to blossom, further urged on by the flush of my cheeks. Panicking, I looked around and grabbed the nearest concealer, but Jaejoong whisked it out of my hands. 

 

“Leave her alone.” Jonghyun looked displeased, and was now siding up to Jaejoong, who was a couple inches taller than him. Jaejoong shot a carefree smile at him.

 

“Is that how you treat your hyung, Jonghyun?”

“It is when my hyung bothers girls, Jaejoong.”

 

If the loss of title bothered Jaejoong at all, he didn’t show it. In fact, he seemed overly confident, as his friendly smile was starting to turn into a smirk. “I think you look better with that scar, sweetheart. No point in hiding your repulsiveness, huh?”

 

“No point in showing my bare face to a rascal like you.”

 

I pushed my long hair to cover my cheek and walked out of the dressing room, while Jonghyun glared at Jaejoong one last time and followed me. The last thing I heard was Jaejoong’s laugh, which echoed in the empty hallways. It reminded me that in the end, my face was free of concealer, and that he’d won. And all this was because he was a beautiful person, immensely admired by everyone, while I was an ugly one, forever left to be tormented by others.

 

I’m going to get you back, Kim Jaejoong.

Just you wait and see. 

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

___________________________________________________________________________________