The Forty-Sixth Scar

✖ T H E B E A U T I F U L S C A R ✖

 

 

 

✖ 

 

“The first person to teach me love,

Also took it away from me.

 

✖ 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
 
THE FORTY-SIXTH SCAR
 
___________________________________________________________________________________
 

“When you said it seemed like he was under orders, the only person I could think of is his father. Jaejoong’s father is the CEO of a huge medical company in America. He rakes in millions of dollars everyday and spends twice of that in research to cure diseases. However, because he's of Korean descent, he's also quite renowned in Korea because of his medical abilities as well as his business techniques. He's considered one of the wealithest as well as most influential in both Seoul and Korea, displaying his immense power overseas.”

 

“Really?”

“Yes. He’s my dad’s older brother. He may sound nice, and he does genuinely care for his patients, but  the one thing I think Jaejoong never forgave him for was how he left Jaejoong’s mother.”

 

“What?”


”They were high school sweethearts. Jaejoong’s mother was found to be pregnant a week after he’d left her for another woman. By then, he was already starting a new medical company in America, and he didn’t want personal relationships to tarnish his new reputation. He cut all ties with Jaejoong’s family, and didn’t bother to send child support of any sort. However, tragedy struck when his new wife’s son was born with a degenerative brain disease. At that time, it was incurable, so he hid him from the spotlight. No one except for family members knew of this son-after all, do you, a famous doctor, want the world to know that your son is dying?”

 

Ha Jae looked at my horrified expression, but she didn’t seem to be surprised. “So he hides his sickly son and forgets about Jaejoong? What kind of a father is he-“

 

“It didn’t stop there-Jaejoong’s father needed a new heir to his medical business. He was getting old, and because his son was ill, he couldn’t have him as the next CEO of the Kim Medical line. So he revealed to the media that Jaejoong was his adopted son, and that he’d been hiding him from the media for ages to protect his privacy.”

 

“No.”

 

“Yes, he did. Obviously, Jaejoong as the next CEO is really only temporary. He’s probably planning to find a cure for his son, although it seems impossible, and then dispose of Jaejoong. Jaejoong’s just a pawn in this game, so he tries not to advertise his background-the longer it stays low, the better it’ll be. His father has always tried to find him, but he’s managed to hide-until now, I suppose.” 

 

I was in shock. All those times that Jaejoong had listened to me, saved me, and comforted me during my troubles-those were nothing compared to what Jaejoong had gone through. I’d had kind parents, parents who cared about me, but Jaejoong didn’t even have that. Jaejoong was being used by his own parents. He grew up without anyone caring about him. His own family rejected him.

 

“So he’s going back to America to work again?”

 

“That’s what I’m guessing. If it seems like he’s suddenly gotten distant and controlled, then my first thought would be his parents. His mom died when Jaejoong graduated from high school, and he was left on his own. It seems strange that Jaejoong would be so easily found, though-and have contact with his father. He’s always tried to avoid him, to the point where he changed his name from Young Woon to Jaejoong.”

 

“Then, how come my best friend is going to America with him?”

 

“What?”
 

“My best friend. Kim Jonghyun. He’s going with him.”

 

Ha Jae’s eyes widened in surprise, and she gasped. The cup of tea she was holding to her lips suddenly dropped with a clatter to the floor, the water sloshing on the ground like a roaring river. It was all I could hear as I suddenly put the pieces together-they were right in front of me the whole time, but it was only now that I could see the picture.

 

My best friend Jonghyun was Jaejoong’s brother.


And he was dying.

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

 

I’ve seen it in movies, I’ve seen it in dramas. I’ve seen it for real, like when I’d woken up from a daze, thinking I was in a dream, but realizing that I was actually in a nightmare. It’s the only word that makes everyone afraid, and the only word that can make others try their hardest to survive. It’s death, and I never even knew my best friend had always been so close to it - I never even knew how brave he was. I had grown up knowing that he needed regular trips to the doctor, but he always said it was because he had a weaker body or asthma. Instead of knowing, Jonghyun had decided to take on such a hell by himself - and he didn't tell anyone. When I was lonely, when I cried - I had him to hold me, to ask me if I was okay. But Jonghyun, from the time he was born to the age he was now - he had no one - not even me to rely on. I was so caught up by my own problems that I didn't even notice - only know I could remember things such as whenever we walked by a doctor’s office or the hospital, he’d always tense and cringe up - and I’d never seen him whenever he’d gotten a cold or the flu.

As the extent of his illness struck me,  I also knew that I couldn’t lose him.

 

“Ha Jae, I need to see him. My best friend is dying. He’s dying.”

“They’re going to save him, _______, calm down-“


I didn’t believe that. The chances of survival for Jonghyun were low. Anyone, even without medical training, could see that he was already worsening. He hadn't been as upbeat, and he always looked tired as well as sullen - although I'd chalked that up because of stress. Jonghyun had already lived for longer than the average person diagnosed with SA - making his chances for going on any further extremely slim. He was a fighter, having already survived for twenty-three years, but the average lifespan of someone with a degenerative brain disease isn't very long. It was why I knew that I needed to be there for him as much as I could. I needed to see him.

 

“Please, Ha Jae-I’m begging you.”


She looked at me with a mix of frustration and sympathy.

 

“Alright, here’s what we’re going to do…”

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

___________________________________________________________________________________