The Eighth Scar

✖ T H E B E A U T I F U L S C A R ✖

 

 

✖ 

 

“Do I love you because you are beautiful,

Or are you beautiful because I love you?

 

✖ 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
 
THE EIGHTH SCAR 
 
___________________________________________________________________________________
 

Despite my hope to get a break from things, my hometown was not exactly a tropical paradise. 

I wasn’t headed to the Caribbean, I was heading to a city much like New York. There were absolutely no palm trees, no white-sand beaches, and definitely not aqua seas. Instead, I'd grown up with relentlessly rainy weather, sometimes even snow, and the sky was often as mucky and grey as the city's frigid waters and bays. However, the huge, bustling city was also home to my most favourite foods, from Asian specialities to Western gourmet, and the nature was just breathtaking. Vancouver was a triple threat in that it had the mountains, skies, and the seas, and the parks were absolutely gorgeous with stunning, scenic views. It wasn't exactly the place to go for a relaxing getaway, but for me, there was nothing that could beat the ecclectic mix of Vancouver. Excitedly combing my hair with my fingers as I thought of the plane ride there, Yunho and I waited at the Incheon International Airport, ready to meet his friends before takeoff. I was lost in the thoughts of going home, while Yunho was trying his best to find his friends amidst the busy crowd of people.

All of a sudden, a handsome man came up, and Yunho smiled at him.

His jet black hair was cut short, his bangs parted to the side, and even though we were taking a plane ride, his airport fashion was immaculate - crisp shirts and pressed slacks made up his ensemble. Taking off his aviator sunglasses, he glanced at me before grinning and pulling Yunho into a tight hug, slapping him on the back a couple of times before letting go. They seemed extremely close, even though Yunho tended to build a wall around himself in front of others - but it seemed as if he had accepted Yoochun as someone much like his own brother. 

 

“_________, this is Yoochun. Yoochun, this is my little sister.”

I bowed slightly. “Annonghaseyo.”

 

He gave me a small but polite smile, and stood beside Yunho quietly. Yoochun seemed to have this gentlemanly air about him, like a little prince, but seemed slightly introverted. Despite his silent demeanour, he seemed like an extremely thoughtful person, and I hoped that we would get to know each other a little better later - especially after seeing how close he and Yunho were. A couple seconds later, a cute boy, who resembled a little kid, came up, beaming. Putting his arm around Yoochun vivaciously, he grinned at Yunho. “Yo, Hyung!” Yunho gave a grin, and Yoochun seemed to chuckle and whisper about something that sounded like “Oh my God sun!”

 

“______, this is Junsu. Beware of him. He’s dangerous.” 

I laughed as Junsu pouted and made a cute face at me.

 

The boy was simply adorable, and I knew that he was the kind of guy no one could hate. Just the way he was like a ball of sunshine made me feel as if  he could never hurt a fly, even if he was slightly disorganised, for his suitcase had numerous open zippers and even a shirt peeking out from one of the pockets.I laughed as he caught me staring at it and blushed, and as I helped him compartmentize his stuff, I giggled at his childishness during our first meeting. "It's really nice to meet you, ____________," He said, as I agreed. "Have you met all of the members yet? Where's Changmin?” He asked all of a sudden, looking around as he noticed that we were missing members. 

“He’s thoughtful, intelligent, and  manages to control his emotions easily, but he can’t even come on time,” Yunho mused.

At his thoughts, a tall man who looked like an extremely handsome version of the boy-next-door popped beside us. He first addressed me, and we exchanged greetings-he seemed mature, and I was surprised to learn that he was the youngest of the group. The best thing, though, was that so far none of them had mentioned anything about my face, and seemed not to really care about it. If this was really how nice these boys were, I felt that the trip wouldn’t be too bad. Who knew? Maybe I’d even make some friends - Junsu was already starting to grow on me, especially with the way he always told jokes and was like a curious little puppy, wandering around everywhere. 

“So-what are you guys called? Are you guys going to debut together?” I asked curiously.

Putting an arm around me, Junsu nodded vigorously. “Yep. We’re hoping to debut soon, as DBSK. It’s going to be like making our dreams real for us. We’re not just going to be training anymore, we’re going to be the real thing.” He looked at me with a serious face, and I listened as he continued to talk about some hardships they’d had to face. I honestly never knew that Yunho had to go through so many obstacles, and started to feel guilty that I was such a burden towards him. Our serious tone took a turn for the happier, though, when he started to change the topic, and began to talk about random things, such as his trip to Paris and how many planes the airport owned. And with that, I forgot about everything, even the little conversation Yunho had with his friends:

 

“Where’s Jae?”

“He’ll be coming later, on the plane. You know why.”

“Okay.”

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

 

After all of us had gathered, we prepared to board the plane. As we rolled our suitcases and brought our stuff up the ramp, I kept wondering if we were missing someone - since Yunho seemed to be constantly texting on his phone, as if the group were waiting for a member. Shrugging my shoulders, I grabbed my luggage, throwing it into the bin above my head as we got on the plane, and sat down by the window. Opening the shade and tying my hair up in a ponytail, I glanced at the runway, which was packed with various airplanes. I suddenly felt a little worried about takeoff, and crossed my legs before wrapping my arms around them, laying head on my knees and trying to keep my eyes focused on the inside of the aircraft. 

“You okay?”

Yunho slid down into the seat beside me, looking at me intently. His handsome face attracted the attention of a couple women nearby, who started chattering and stealing glances at him instantly. Yunho was extremely handsome, undeniably gorgeous compared to average standards, and I’d gotten used to his popularity over the years. It was common, but sometimes, I felt bad for Yunho as well - being his sister, I knew how hard it was to try and please others while reserving your own personal space at the same time. 

“Yeah. You?”

Yunho ignored my attempt at small talk. That was the thing with us being siblings-we never beat around the bush with each other.

 

“My friend’s going to be sitting here.”

“Not you?” I pouted, and he shook his head.

 

I knew that there was no changing his mind, but I felt that it would be okay. All the other boys were filial, used formal language, and treated me extremely well-Micky had helped me carry my bags as I passed through customs, Junsu had constantly entertained me, and Changmin had grabbed a coffee for me while we were waiting to board the plane. If I liked these boys, then I would probably like the other boy. After all, Yunho probably wouldn’t let me sit beside a total jerk.

 

“He’s going to be here any moment, so I’m going to get out.”

“Oppa, where are you sitting?”

“Beside Changmin, in the middle row a few seats behind you.”

 

I watched Yunho leave, and he waved to me, signalling to me that he’d gotten a seat already. I was about to turn my head and take a nap, but then I saw an extremely familiar figure walking down the aisle. He was dressed in sunglasses and a black beanie, but that didn’t disfigure his attractive figure and angelic face. He continued to walk, getting closer to my seat, so I grabbed a magazine from the pocket behind the chair and started to read it intently, hoping that he wouldn’t notice me. Glad that my scar was facing the window, and he wouldn’t be able to recognize me, I breathed in relief when he passed by my seat.

 

But then he paused, took two steps back, and grinned at me.

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

___________________________________________________________________________________