Eight

I can't read your mind

Kyungsoo was grateful for the peace that ensued. The only sound ringing through the apartment was his camera's clicking. Though he was still curious about you, he missed the saturated concentration devoted to his job.

He didn't have to worry about guessing whether it's you talking or really your mind he's hearing. Zitao was sitting too far away for him to pick up any mind reading anyway.

He felt normal again.

After finishing up the last few shots, he showed them to you.

 

"This one... and this one... This is good too." You held the camera and scanned the photos. "All good. Send me those." You smiled and handed the camera back to him. Taking his camera in one hand, he extended the other to turn your wrist delicately, checking on your wound again.

"You better not put anything on it first." He cautioned. You acknowledged his advice with a smile.

"I like the idea of apple crates recycled as drawers." He said as he withdrew his hand. "I once thought if I were to decorate my house, I would use recycled materials."

You were a bit taken aback by the familiarity of that statement.

"Well, I remembered someone once told me that idea. But I can't remember who. Actually, you can take them if you'd like. The owner here wouldn't mind." You glanced towards Zitao's direction. "The movers are gonna come later and they'll be trashed in our studio anyhow, after this photoshoot."

"Really? That's a pity, but nah, it's okay. The crates idea is something I reserved for my future house. When I have someone to share them with." He smiled.

 

For some strange reason, both of you found affinity in that moment.

______________

 

When you returned to the office shortly before dusk, Chanyeol peered up from his wide-rimmed spectacles and glared at you.

Why. Come back.

"Why did you come back to the office? It's ten minutes to knock off time and you should just go home." He faked an angry expression.

"You too are still here, aren't you."

"Well, that is because I was here all the while and you were out doing the shoot. And wha--?" He noticed your hand.

 

Blood! What.

"What happened? _______ ah?" He held your arm and examined the back of your hand gingerly, as if it was the most precious thing in the world.

No! My. What happened! Who hurt you!

You could hear the sprinting thoughts in his brain and it was loud.

"Chanyeol ah, cool down, I'm ok. I got scratched a bit when i was moving some furniture today."

"Don't we have the movers to do that? Why did you do that for?"

You idiot!

"Ok, that is uncalled for, I'm not an idi---" You stopped yourself. "I know I'm not supposed to be moving things but the movers were already off and we had to move some things ok."

"Isn't there anyone else there to help? The photographer?"

"Yes, Kyungsoo was helping but I was careless and... he was the one who helped me clean up my wound and being nice and all."

 

Ok. You. Shouldn't hurt yourself again.

"Does it hurt?" He asked gently.

"Not anymore."

But I do.

You thought you heard wrong. "Well, it hurts at first, but now, it's ok." You added.

It must have hurt. 

Chanyeol's eyes met yours. For the one year that you've known him, you've always thought this expression was one of pure innocence. But now that his thoughts are , it was loud and clear.

 

My heart hurts. For you.

 

________________