Four

I can't read your mind

More bad news.

 

You buried your head in your hands as you mumbled: "Why... wasn't I informed beforehand?"

"You... w-weren't here last week during the meeting." Chanyeol stammered.

Sorry.

"You don't have to say s-- " You held your tongue when you turned towards Chanyeol. Ah. That was his mind that's talking. "Look, next time our photographer goes on leave or whatever for that matter, please inform me even when I'm not around to hear it okay?"

Chanyeol nodded.

Ok. Sorry.

"You don't need to s--" You mentally slapped yourself to shut up. You had returned to the office after the recce only to find out that Baekhyun, the photographer usually in charge of your shoots was on leave and won't be back until end of next month.

"So who did you say will be covering for Baekhyun?" You shifted your attention back to the computer screen.

 

Kyungsoo.

"It's his friend, Do Kyungsoo. He's won some awards before and Baekhyun said he's the perfect choice."

Perfect eh? Today is anything but perfect. You sighed silently to yourself.

______________

 

Kyungsoo had a throbbing headache by the time he reached home. He was bombarded by buzzing and droning the entire day while trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with himself.

It probably ain't so bad if he could control them, but anyone who came close enough to him had their thoughts shoved in his brains and it was like walking into a jammed pack party he didn't want to go with screaming kids and over zealous adults.

The two meetings and one photoshoot had him wrapping up the day at 5 pm sharp and he fought the urge to not drive himself to the nearest mental hospital and check himself in.

It wasn't making any sense and he wondered whether things will be the same tomorrow.

Maybe, just maybe... he would lose this "ability" when he wakes up in the morning.

He ate his dinner in the much needed silence of his apartment and crashed at 9 pm.

___________________

 

You couldn't sleep. You returned home at 7 pm, ate your dinner, did your laundry, appreciating the tranquility of the apartment after a clamorous and stupefying day. You checked up the address of the nearest hospital should this weird symptom continue tomorrow.

After doing some research on "mind reading" on the internet, you came up with these:

Our ability to mind read has ancient roots... Over thousands of years of evolution, humans' systems of communication grew more sophisticated, as living and working arrangements became more complex. Mind reading became a tool with which to "create and maintain the social order.

Mirror neurons suggest that we pretend to be in another person's mental shoes... in fact, with mirror neurons we do not have to pretend, we practically are in another person's mind.

Scientists in the field of bioinformatics have designed headsets with advanced sensors to read electrical brain activity that can recognize facial expressions, excitement and concentration levels, and thoughts of a person without them physically taking any actions.

Being in sync with another human being can be a transcendent experience...

 

In sync...

You wondered whether this new found ability had any meaning at all, or a higher purpose. But what?

 

You looked at the clock. It's 12 am. You forced yourself to close your eyes, but the mind churned on to the zillion questions in your head.

_________________

 

"So, what's the matter? Miss _______? "

The doctor turned to you after a few seconds of flipping through a file. You had decided to come to the hospital when you heard the neighbour's mind conversation in the lift again this morning.

"I-- uhm..."

Yes?

The doctor's mind voice was composed and subdued, in accordance with his facial expression.

"I believe I'm hearing things."

Some medical jargons crossed the doctor's brain. You read his name tag. Dr. Kim Joonmyun.

"What do they sound like?"

 

"They sound like... electronic droning."

"Do you feel any pain in your ear?"

"No."

"Any accidents recently?"

Except for this mind reading thing? No. You thought to yourself.

"No."

 

He poked an instrument into your ear and asked you a few more questions.

"C-can you... help me scan my brain or something? I-I think it's in the head."

Dr Kim looked up at you.

Hallucination?

Great, now he's going to refer you to a mental hospital, you thought grievously to yourself.

"I'll perform a SPECTscan for you." He offered.

 

You were fidgeting during the whole process.

"We'll let you know when the results comes out." He said.

It's weird. You suddenly seem to hear a song coming from his head.

Doob dubby doo...

So much for that serious and angelic expression, you thought to yourself as you left the hospital.

_______________

 

Dr Kim picked up the phone after you left his office.

"Hello?"

The receiver said something that made him smile.

"Yes. i think one of your test subjects was here today."

 

 

___________________

 

 

Thanks for the subscribes! There seems to be a lot of silent readers for this story? Haha! Do leave a comment to let me know your thoughts ok! ^^