Three

I can't read your mind

"Did you say left?"

 

Kyungsoo was having a hard time trying to keep his eyes focused on the client's eyes rather than her lips because that's the only way he could tell whether she's really talking to him or he just heard that coming from her mind. 

"Yes, I said, a little bit more to the left." She was looking at him, her voice leveled but Kyungsoo can hear that damned droning again. 

Why? Looking. Me.

He realized he's staring. "S-Sorry, I was.. thinking of something." He quickly averted his gaze and concentrated on the plate of ice-cream dessert through his lens again. 

 

The photography was for the new menu of the hotel. Kyungsoo had to capture it according to the client's directive before the sweet little thing melts. But it could well be an ice-cream mold and he would still spend double the time he'll usually take because of all the random murmurings he's picking up from all around him.

Such. Cutie. Wonder. Drunk? Last night?

His previous attention on her lips in an attempt to differentiate between audible and inaudible had deluded her into thinking he's interested and though Kyungsoo had tried hard to focus, his restlessness only served to strengthen her misapprehension. Although in this case it probably benefits rather than cripples his job because right now he's needing all the help he can get. 

His hand. Back. Oh. .

 

Right about the time he heard her checking out his posterior, Kyungsoo straightened up and turned to her.

"Sorry, but do you mind... standing slightly further away? I-I need to move around." 

She opened in an "Oh" and scooted to the side but Kyungsoo could hear her thoughts skipping to the lou on how he's being oh-so-distracted with her presence.

 

He took a deep breath before returning to the darned dessert that had just started to melt.

 _____________

 

You pondered whether to cancel all schedules for the day and head over to the doctor's before you suffer from a major meltdown, but decided against it because the recce at the venue today had been finalised only after two months. The owner of the avant-garde studio apartment your team had sourced out for next month's cover was just a bit fickle when it comes to dates and schedules. On top of that, after viewing the photographs of his house, you had suggested adding a little bit of DIY into his otherwise too-minimalistic and lacking-in-human-touch-for-your-liking living space only to be met with sensitive opposition from the owner himself.

After some exuberant cajoling, he finally relented but wanted to know exactly what you guys will be doing and being the most eloqeunt of the team, you were graciously offered the seat of sacrifice as the one who's going to do all the accounting for. 

"And maybe add a little flick of your charm too?" Chanyeol had mused, flicking his own light brown hair, much to your lack of amusement. 

 

When you and Sooyung reached the house, the door was answered by a serious looking dark haired male dorning black-rimmed spectacles.

"Hi, I'm Zitao. Please come in."

Don't touch. Anything. 

You detected the menace even though it came in disjointed electronic soundwaves.

 

"So, here's the living room that you guys wanna use." He spread his arms like a magician wielding his beloved rabbit. "It's not much, but... it's enough for me."

Impressed. Much. Now.

"It's... impressive." You responded to his pride.

He smiled.

I know.

"Ah, that's too kind of you."

You almost rolled your eyes at this great pretender. 

 

The living room was a luxurious black and mahogony. Black walls. Designer black sofa. Mahogony table and chairs. You were planning to work on that space. 

"So... we are going to make a drawer, out of apple crates as I've mentioned to you."

"It won't fit into the theme will it?"

Stupid. 

You felt rage rising in you. 

"The theme for next month is post-industrial eco living. We'll be re-painting the crates plus after the photoshoot, we'll help you discard it." 

Of course.

"Oh, that's such a pity. Can I keep it?"

Junk. Please.

"It's not -- " You stopped yourself. "Not necessary."

 

He smiled, blinking his eyes.

_______________

 

"Oh, he's such a cutie! Did you see the way he blinks?"

You didn't need Sooyung to tell you all that when half the time you were listening to her incessant gushing as you walked around the apartment doing measurements.

"He doesn't want us to touch anything and he doesn't want me making that drawer so it's making my job hell lot more difficult, so what do I think? I think this ."

"What do you mean? He said he really looked forward to it! Don't assume as if you can read his mind..."

 

I can. You thought dismally to yourself.