Eleven

I can't read your mind

Before you could open your mouth to speak, both of you heard conversation at the entrance.

"Thanks... I'll just walk over... Thank you." 

You saw Kyungsoo walking towards you, waving and beaming modestly.

 

You turned back towards Chanyeol. 

"Chanyeol ah... I-- I've got a dinner date."

 

______________

 

When Kyungsoo heard you declaring him as your dinner date, he was stunned. Though he couldn't read your thoughts, he could hear the confusion in Chanyeol's mind. Being the perceptive kind, he played along until the two of you walked out of the office, after you've handled his documents. 

"So... we have a dinner date?" He raised one eyebrow at you when both of you cleared the building automatic door, the evening breeze gushing at your face.

"I-I'm so.. so sorry." You immediately turned to bow, hands clasped together apologetically.

"You- you don't have to be." He was a bit taken aback and bowed in return. It went on for a few seconds and you explained: "I-I needed to get out of that office fast."

"I can see that." He smiled and nodded knowingly. 

"Geez... th- thanks for helping me, you know, out there, just then." You blushed and bowed again. "G-goodbye."

 

As you turned to walk away in embarrassment, Kyungsoo called out: "What about our dinner date?"

You flicked your head back, looking baffled. 

"I came to...ask you out but you beat me to it." He confessed quietly, his head hung low.

"I---" Your heart was doing a weird number. Was he just trying to make you feel better or...?

"So..." He looked up and you saw the sincerity in his eyes. He asked apprehensively: "Shall we?"

______________

 

"So where are we going for dinner?" You asked as he led you across the field towards the carpark.

"Do you have any preference?"

"Not in particular."

"So, I'll decide?" He glanced at you with a cheeky smile.

"Sure." You shrugged. You were about to pursue the question when a bunch of balloons caught your eye.

 

There was a roadshow being set up at the field, most probably for the weekends tomorrow.

"It's some family themed exhibition." Kyungsoo noted.

He was right. There were colorful banners all around with happy family faces on them. The big white tentage had some dozen over balloons surrounding it and one of them floated to where he was walking.

Kyungsoo picked it up promptly and bounced it off his fingers, blowing it to keep it in mid-air.

You chuckled at this little show of childlikeness.

He swung towards you, smiling sheepishly and then throwing the balloon to you.

 

You imitated his blowing to keep the balloon afloat. It was successful for the first two times but started to go awry when a breeze blew it in the opposite direction. You let out a tiny shriek as the balloon drifted towards the roadside. Kyungsoo swiveled and gave a puff, directing it back on track again within the field. The two of you blew the balloon back and forth, chortling in between breaths as the balloon bobbed in the air.

Kyungsoo caught it in the end and placed it back near the booth, bowing and apologizing to the guy who was setting up the notices. You snickered amusingly as he jogged back to you.

 

"You know that reminds me of something." You began as he kept abreast with you again. "I went to a birthday party once when I was very little. About ten years old? There was a little boy there, who played the balloon like that with me."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it was a party for a little boy in our school. I don't know him that well, but the mother invited all of us because I knew his younger brother. There were alot of older kids there and I was one of the few girls there. Then this little boy around my age played the balloon with me after his mother encouraged him to. He was the one who told me about the apple crates idea. But I don't know his name. I don't even remember his face... I was so young then."

"Oh..." Kyungsoo seemed lost in thoughts.

"We also played a silly game, I dunno who started it, but it was a 'What am I thinking' game."

"How does it go?"

"It's very juvenile. He will ask me 'What am I thinking?' and I'm supposed to ask him all sorts of questions and he will only answer yes or no until I got the correct answer. And then when I got it right, I get the chance to ask 'What am I thinking?' and he will do the same thing. It was fun though... at that time." You sniggled at the memory.

Just then, Kyungsoo stopped in his tracks and bored at you.

"You... don't happen to be from Gyeonggi-do, are you?" He inquired.

"Y-Yes... I am actually... why?"

 

"And you were wearing a red dress."

It was your turn to stare at him.

"How do you..."

 

"I'm that little boy."

 

 

_____________

 

 

There you have it! He's not some long lost sibling! They knew each other from childhood! heh~~~