Twenty-Five

I can't read your mind

The moment Kyungsoo reached the house, the answer to your question struck him immediately. He stared at the house, then glanced towards you as Chanyeol led you up the steps to knock on the door.

 

Chanyeol's brother wasn't as tall, but still much taller than you and even Kyungsoo. He had the same eyes and low voice, but you were glad at least he sounded normal.

"So, these are your friends? Oh, hi! I see a familiar face." He's looking at you. You bowed.

 

"You've met ______________ , and this is her... erm.. friend." He nodded to Kyungsoo, who was looking rather disconcerted but said his greetings politely when introduced.

"Come in, Dad and Mom's out on a holiday, so it's just me."

"I wasn't sure what to get since it's not quite dinner yet, maybe we'll just go out later together at a restaurant nearby. Anyhow, there's fried chicken on the table if you want 'em." He stepped away as you walked into the Swedish styled interior, accented by the vintage-looking red lamps and pillows, giving a casual aged appearance. Something about the workspace caught your eye.

 

"Ooh... chicken wings..." Chanyeol zoomed right to the kitchen.

"Sorry for my very rude brother, but what did you say your name was?" Chanyeol's brother asked.

"I didn't, but it's Kyungsoo."

"Chansung. Say... you look really familiar."

"And so do you."

"Kyungsoo... Do Kyungsoo?"

"Yes. You don't happen to be from XXX school?"

 

There was a moment of expectance and then both broke into laughter.

"Yah! You... " Chansung threw his hand around Kyungsoo's neck in a friendly hug. "Where have you been all these while?"

"Around, I guess..." Kyungsoo shrugged laughingly.

"Y-You guys knew each other?"

"Yeah! He's my friend from elementary school. I was in 6th grade and he was in 5th grade. He used to come by occassionally to play, but when we changed different middle schools, we didn't see each other after that. But I will recognize these eyes anywhere." Chansung piped.

Kyungsoo gave an agreeable smile.

 

"So, what brings you guys here?" He asked Kyungsoo.

"Well..." Kyungsoo began as he fleeted his eyes toward you.

 

At this moment, Chanyeol came in with a piece of chicken wing in his hand.

"__________ ah, do you want some?"

He tried to hand feed you a piece and you were trying to squirm out of this awkwardness when his phone rang.

 

"Hello? S--" Chanyeol didn't had a chance to continue as you heard a familiar voice screaming at the end of the receiver.

"Park Chanyeol! Where the hell have you been! You are supposed to be in the office today!!!"

It's Sooyung.

"Well, I took leave didn't I?"

"Nobody approved it! Yah! Come back right now! The boss needs the first draft by tomorrow!"

You swore by the way Sooyung raised her voice like that, she was the perfect match for thunder voice Chanyeol.

"B-But... by the time I came back..."

"I don't care what time you come back! It better be on my desk first thing tomorrow in the morning!!!"

"Hey, this isn't fair, how come ___________ can take last minute leave and I can't?"

Sooyung sighed as if exasperated by this tardiness.

"Because _________ is the reason we won best magazine last year, and that was clearly before you joined the company so it has nothing to do with you. If ________ had wanted to go to Canberra for the weekends, boss wouldn't even bat an eyelid. But for you, dear Mr Park Chanyeol, that is definitely a sure recipe to get your kicked out of the company and! If you don't want that to happen by tomorrow, you better get back right now."

 

Chanyeol pouted as he hung up the phone.

"I need to get back to the office."

"I believed all of us heard that." The three of you stared at Chanyeol.

"Girlfriend?" Chansung raised his eyebrow questioningly.

"Colleague from hell... "Chanyeol clarified and ate the rest of the chicken himself. "I'll come back later to pick you up right after I finish, ___________ ".

 

"It's ok, you probably won't be able to. Kyungsoo's here anyway."

You caught the look Chanyeol shot you.

"And your brother."

He relaxed a little.

"I'll make sure she's safe, Chanyeol-ah. Just go." Chansung added helpfully.

 

He nodded, still glowering as he headed towards the door.

 

______________

 

You were glad your sanity was somewhat recovered when you noted the workspace again.

"Those shelves... They are made out of apple crates aren't they?"