Five

I can't read your mind

After 4 days of waking up to throbbing headaches from the relentless buzzing, Kyungsoo was relieved his head felt perfectly fine in the morning. 

Maybe I had gotten used to it, he thought. He wasn't sure whether that's a comforting thought though.

This mind reading thing, after spending some time grasping with it, seemed queerly interesting, though it does make him feel like a voyeuristic eavesdropper sometimes.

 

He had accidentally caught on to the weirdest reverie people beget in their thoughts, random musings and emotional anxiety of all kinds. For the first time in his life, he realised his big eyes and plump lips actually drove some people to conjure some rather explicit fantasy of himself, which was embarrassing really. He knew he was descibed as moderately attractive by people, but he didn't know how innocent his own thoughts were until he heard the extremities from some.

He tried avoiding crowds and plugged in earphones blasting with music from his handphone when he's out. It also helped that his job usually only required him to spend most of his time with inanimate objects like food, jewelry or backdrops.

 

Today's photoshoot was a stand in for his good friend, Baekhyun. He was the in house photographer for an interior design magazine but had gone on leave, thus enlisting Kyungsoo's help.

Kyungsoo sat down for lunch at a nearby quiet diner without the earphones when he heard the lady sitting across him mind-conversing to herself.

 

Sorry, bubs. She looked at the 7-8 year old-ish little boy sitting next to her.

"Mommy, I'm allowed to order any ice-cream I want?" The boy was clearly excited.

"Yes, baby. It's your birthday! You can choose any ice cream you want!"

"I want the chocolate chip ice-cream, Mommy!" He bounced a little in his seat and gave his mother a huge grin.

 

Sorry. Couldn't. Lost job. Again.

The lady looked away from her son towards the windows, lost in her thoughts. Kyungsoo gathered from the disjointed murmurs from her mind that she had just lost her job, there's bills to pay, it's her son's 7th birthday but she hadn't been able to get any present for him save for this treat in this cheap diner. Should she ask her ex-husband?

Failed. Mom. Strong. For him.

Kyungsoo thought he saw a glisten in her eye before she was interrupted by her son's jubilant announcement.

"Chocolate ice cream!" He clapped his hands and took a scoop but then stopped short. "Do you want some, mommy?"

"No, it's all yours, honey."

"There's alot! We can share!" He offered the spoonful to her. She took a bite and rubbed his head fondly.

 

Before leaving the diner's, Kyungsoo shoved some money in a serviette and called the waitress over.

"Can you help me pass this to that lady over there?" He whispered.

This is for?

The waitress had a confused expression.

"Just say they are the 100th diner or something and it's a token prize for them. Will.. will that be ok?" This sounds like a crazy idea and Kyungsoo's thoughts were confirmed by the waitress.

But. Policy.

"J-Just this once?" He pleaded, rubbing his hands together in a plea.

Cute.

Kyungsoo blinked. For once, he thought his above mediocre looks actually made him feel a little happy about himself.

"Ok." The waitress beamed and took over the serviette.

 

As Kyungsoo stood up to leave, he heard the lady's cry of joy.

Thank God! Thank God for Your Angel!

 

He smiled and exited the diners.

_______________

 

You received a phonecall from the hospital the results of your scan.

There's nothing wrong with you. Would you like us to refer you to another appointment? They had asked. You declined politely, knowing full well where that leads and you're not about to admit that you are some nut case in need for pyschatric help.

It was fearful at first. Trying to grapple with all this mind reading thing. And then on the fourth day, it's either you got used to it, or it doesn't seem to be as disturbing anymore. In fact, you were enjoying reading some of the minds around you. It's interesting, to say the least. People have such random thoughts, most of them were needless worries though, you had to bite back your tongue everytime you felt obliged to say something to the person sitting next to you in the bus to snap out of her trance and start living a life. Or refrain yourself from kicking the shin of that ert thinking about what's under your bra.

You read from an article a few years back on how people spend 99% of their time worrying but none of it comes true.

Speaking about worry, you were thinking about how Chanyeol had been having the weirdest thoughts, when the couple sitting right next to you started to have some mind war.

 

"So you were with them last night?" The girl in the grey sweater spoke up.

"Yes." The boy replied.

Not what I heard. The girl thought.

"Who was there?" she asked instead.

Stop this. The boy's mind protested.

"You know, the usual bunch of guys."

Don't ask anymore.

Can't take this.

 

"Sometimes I wish I know what you are thinking." The girl said quietly.

It's not the same anymore. The boy thought.

"I just wish... " she continued. "I wish that we were like before, you know. Before this... everything happened."

Move. Was it?

Sorry. Love her more.

 

"What do you want to eat? He changed subject.

Can't eat.

"I'm not hungry."

Do you still love me?

Can't do this anymore.

Not the same.

Sorry.

What can I do?

I don't love you anymore.

 

You stood up to alight at your stop.

"I'm getting off at the next stop." She announced, following behind you.

The guy stared.

Stop me. I will. A chance.

 

Maybe. Time.

"Ok..." the boy muttered.

 

When both of you got off, the girl overtook you but then quickly slowed to a stop at the corner once the train was gone. You saw her trembling, her face pale and she was biting back tears.

 

You took out a packet of tissues from your bag and passed it to her.

What?

She had a bewildered look.

"It's okay." You smiled. "You'll be alright."

 

You were wondering, whether being able to read the other's mind would make anyone feel better, when you heard the word from her mind.

 

Angel.

______________