Nineteen

I can't read your mind

The young lady gawked as Kyungsoo took both cups of hot chocolate and ushered you away.

You meekly followed his directions without protesting, your mind preoccupied with that one question.

 

How did he know?

 

"Kyungsoo-ah..." You managed to ask as the two of you walked alongside each other. "Why did you say that just now?"

Kyungsoo passed the hot chocolate over to you and played ignorance. "Said what?"

"T-That I'm your girlfriend."

"Well, aren't you?" He smiled intently at you.

You were a bit thrown off track.

 

"What I meant was, you sounded like you could... read her mind."

Kyungsoo's brain was spinning at top speed. "Well... of course... I can."

Your heart stilled for a second from the shock, but he continued again, "I get that alot, you know, with my ex-girlfriends... so I can tell she was wondering whether you are my girlfriend... and I think she spilt that drink on purpose, that's why I said what I said." Kyungsoo fathomed he wasn't entirely lying about the first part.

 

Is that it? Suddenly you wondered whether you heard wrongly in the first place.

"Didn't you say with my good looks girls would be throwing themselves at me?"

You chortled and rolled your eyes. "So now you're using that against me? Fine..."

 

Maybe it wasn't what you think after all.

But what if?

 

"Say Kyungsoo-ah, do you believe in mind reading?"

"Mind read?" He sipped his hot chocolate and you mirrored his actions.

"I guess so..."

He paused in his steps and stared earnestly at you.

"How about you?"

You hadn't expected that question from him.

"Me? Well, I guess it could be... interesting."

"Whose mind would you want to read then?" He asked.

 

The one person that I most wanted to mind read was the one person that I couldn't.

 

"What about you?" You countered.

"Well, that is easy." His head inched towards yours. "Yours."

 

He smiled as your cheeks showed a hint of crimson.

 

"Well, for the time being, you can just guess..." You said as you began walking again. Kyungsoo tagged alongside.

"What am I thinking now?" You asked testily.

"Now? Hmm..." Kyungsoo grinned. "That you want to read my mind?"

You laughed. "No. Ok, maybe."

"Is it about me?"

"Yes."

"O-k... Is it about my girlfriends?"

"I'm still curious, but... no."

"Something you wanna do?"

"Nope."

"Something you want me to do?"

"Yes."

 

"Read your mind?"

"If you can."

"But I can't, so... Are you thinking of... Kis--?" He felt awkward just saying the "kiss" word so the sentence sort of just trailed away.

You punched his arm and emphasized, "No...."

"Well, I give up."

 

"I'm thinking... You haven't actually officially asked me to be your girlfriend yet."

Kyungsoo laughed, feeling a tad flustered.

"Didn't just now count?"

"No. That was more like... an excuse to get away."

"Ok..." He bit back an embarrassed laugh again and stopped in his tracks. You followed suit.

 

"So... __________ , can you be my girlfriend?" He held out his cup of hot chocolate with both hands, beautiful round eyes wide with all sincerity.

You had to snigger at this absolute awkward ball of adorable.

"Now, what am I supposed to do with this?"

"Well, if it's a yes, you exchange my cup with yours, but if it's a no... " His gaze softened. "Then don't."

 

You did a half turn away from him, as if contemplating, hiding a bashful smile. When you turned back, you saw he was actually a bit nervous, eyes expectant.

You took his cup from the bottom out, replacing yours into his hands.

Kyungsoo stared, taking in the reality of the situation.

After two seconds, he broke into an exuberant smile and twirled to the side, unable to meet you eye to eye as his elatedness churned out into a pitched laugh.

It was the cutest thing you've ever heard and you wished it would last forever.

 

When he twirled back to you, he had a cheeky grin. "Drink up."

You obliged by taking a sip as he did.

"You know what they say about indirect kissing?" He snickered playfully.

Your eyes widened as you realized what you've just done.

 

For the third time of the night, you threw him a punch. But this time, he caught it and kissed you gently on the back of your hand.

"Let's send you home, my girlfriend."

 

_______________

 

 

You woke up in the morning feeling giddy. Even though yesterday night was kind of dizzying from the rollercoaster of emotions, this was a different kind of dizzy.

It felt like something was about to break in your brain and you reached out for your handphone only to remember it was still in your bag.

 

Using almost all your energy to stand up from the bed, you held on to your head as you half staggered towards the living room, using the walls as support. By the time you reached the sofa, you were alternating between seeing flashing lights and darkness. You crawled towards your bag, fishing blindly for your phone.

You speed dialled the one familiar number before you out.

 

 

 

____________

 

If you haven't already seen this... this was the laugh I'm referring to in this chapter...

 

 

 

Adorbs!!!!