Eighteen

I can't read your mind

Kyungsoo found himself repeating the whole guilt process again as the two of you walked along the road towards the central street. He hadn't expected anything when he came, thinking that he just wanted to see you. He certainly didn't thought he'll be making the same mistake of going beyond boundaries.

You sensed the intentional distance between the two of you and regretted asking him over at this late hour. Anybody could have mistaken that as something else right? You couldn't help but feel it's your fault for leading him on. But then again, Kyungsoo hadn't taken advantage. In fact, you had noted the haste he put into his steps when he walked out of the house.

You followed him silently with only your keys in your sleep wear and promptly realised that when the night breeze blew circles across your bare legs.

 

You shivered a little and Kyungsoo detected the gesticulation. Without a word, he removed his plaid shirt and wrapped it around your waist, tightening it with a knot.

"T-Thanks..." You acknowledged quietly with a smile.

He grinned at you in return, his smile brightening up his whole face.

You found that to be particularly endearing.

 

With the broken silence, you took a breath of fortitude.

"What am I thinking?"

"W-what?" He was befuddled.

"Come on, have you forgotten the rules already? Fire away."

He guffawed when he caught on the understanding.

"Hmmm... is it an object?"

"No."

"A person?"

"Somewhat."

"Is it about me?"

 

"Yes." You beamed at him.

"You are thinking of... hitting me?"

"You mean like this?" You gave him a punch lightly on his arm. He feigned a pained expression.

"That's it?"

"No, that's not what I'm thinking, but since you mentioned it..." You grinned cheekily at him.

"Ok..." He laughed. "You are thinking of... "

Kyungsoo couldn't think of anything that won't already make him feel embarrassed.

"I give up, what are you thinking?"

"Aw... so fast? I'll give you one last chance."

"You are thinking of... where are we going now?"

"That's one of the questions I had, but in this case, no."

"Never mind, I give up... What is it?"

 

"I'm thinking... do you...do that to all the girls you just met?"

Kyungsoo flushed a scarlet red.

"Do-- what? No! I mean... no, I've never like... done that to anyone... I swear, really."

"Really? Not even kiss?"

"Well, yeah, I did, but that's far as I went... and not... you know... so fast. I took like 6 months with my first girlfriend."

"How many... girlfriends have you had?"

"Oh, wow... That... Two. The first one was in high school, we dated for two and a half years. The second was shortly after I graduated, a friend's friend. But I only saw her for 6 months cos... I just didn't feel... she's the one... so we broke up when I came over to Seoul."

"You still keep in touch with them?"

"No... It's difficult especially after I came over here."

"I know how that feels." You nodded to yourself. "Say, do you remember the last time we played this question and answer game and you were the last one to ask? Before you left, I still hadn't figured out what the answer was. So, what was it?"

"I don't remember."

"Sure?"

"I seemed to be more forgetful nowadays... maybe I'll tell you when I remember it."

 

The two of you neared a coffee and beverages mobile van.

"You need anything?"

"A hot chocolate will be perfect."

The lady attending to the two of you looked young around her early twenties. When she saw Kyungsoo, her eyes lit up and you heard the admiration in her mind.

 

Such. Cutie.

Kyungsoo chose to remain oblivious as usual.

"Two hot chocolate please." He motioned to you.

You clearly saw the malice in her eyes before hearing her mind murmur.

.

Kyungsoo fought the urge to steer you away and get drinks from somewhere else, but that would seemed much too obvious.

"Your hot chocolate." She gave him an extra saccharine smile.

"And yours." She put it down roughly and some of the hot liquid spilled onto your receiving hands.

You hissed from the burn as you heard that drone again.

Served you right.

"I'm sorry!" She squealed.

She wasn't.

"It's okay." You mumbled as Kyungsoo helped dabbed the brown liquid off your hands with his serviette.

"You alright?" She saw the care and caution he displayed with you and thought to herself,

Not girlfriend, I hope.

Before Kyungsoo could stop himself, he blurted out: "Yes, in fact, she is my girlfriend."

 

You cast a glance at him as he registered his slip.