16: The Reason She Came

EW! Get Off Me, You ERT! -- ON HIATUS

Yun Hee's POV

Groggily, I walked my way to school alone with Chang Sun at my side. Silence was our companion the whole way over to school. Minji had left with Key this morning after he coincidentally 'passed by our neighborhood on his way to school'.

Once in a while, a beep would interrupt the peace because Chang Sun would get a text.

Constantly, for about fifteen minutes--which felt like an hour with the quietness--I would hear:

Beep.

Beep.

Silence.

Beep.

Beep.

Silence.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep

Beep...

...Beep...

For the umpteenth time that morning, an irritating noise would slice the air followed by a string of tapping as Chang Sun replied back. I'm pretty sure he understood that I didn't enjoy it because every time his phone beeped, he would purporsely press on the screen harder to make a noise.

"Could you shut that thing up?" I snapped, rolling my eyes as I trudged on.

"Why? Is it annoying?" He asked, not looking up from his phone screen.

"Said that words right out of my mouth." I grumbled. He smirked, eyes still glued to his cellular device.

"Then, no. I won't shut it up." And with that he continued tapping away. I groaned in annoyance and accelerated a few steps further away from him to restrain myself from whipping his phone onto the street and down the sewer, or possibly get it crushed by a car.

Finally, we arrived at the school gates. I sighed in relief inwardly and fastened my pace to get to class. Right when I turned the corner to get into the school, I spotted Hana a few feet away, leaning against brick wall talking on the phone. Not wanting to eavesdrop--a habit a have--I tried to turn and walk away but a certain name caught my ear.

My head shot up and I practically froze on my spot, which isn't a good idea because I was in Hana's line of vision and if I just awkwardly stand here, she'll see me.

After a few seconds I attempted to move again, but my body wasn't listening to my brain. My feet implanted themselves to the ground so I was forced to listen.

"...Oppa, are you going to transfer to this school?" There was a pause, and Hana's face brightened. "Yay! I haven't seen you in so long...aren't you excited to see me?" She twirled a strand of her hair around her finger before her face frowned. Rolling her eyes, she continued into the phone.

"Should've known you had higher priorities than me." There was mumbling coming from the phone before Hana rolled her eyes again. "Whatever. But yes, I did as you told me. I found her. She's here. And she's free, but there's this guy she seems to have this thing with. Although I wouldn't want to worry about him too much, I have that under control." An smirk found its way to her lips.

A shiver had now slithered down my spine after hearing this, and I was mentally scolding myself for not bringing myself to move away. I didn't want to hear anymore of this conversation.

But my body went numb and students found their way past me. I couldn't even go around the corner to hide myself. 

"Anyways, I have to go. Classes will be starting soon. Call me as soon as possible, arasso?" And Hana ended the call. As soon as she brought the phone away from her ear, I literally had to pull my legs off the ground to start walking away. I was about to run into the school building when Hana looked up from her phone and locked eyes with me. Her eyes widened in shock. I gulped in guilt as I nervously stared back.

"Were you there the whole time?" She abruptly asked. I promptly shook my head, and quickly composed myself.

"No, I just got here. Why?" I lied and rasied an eyebrow. Hana suspiciously eyed me, and I thought that she would realize that I had just heard half of her conversation. 

Fortunately, she just stared at me. "Oh, I was just wondering." She lifted her purse higher up on her shoulder, before dryly saying, "Bye." and walking away.

Once she was out of my sight, I sighed in relief. *Thank god she's stupid. I'd be so dead if she saw me.* 

I took a few steps forward before remembering the name which caused me to be in shock. *I must have heard wrong, right? All those damn beeps must've messed up my ear drums. Hana wasn't just talking to him...there isn't a chance of seeing him again, right?* No matter how many times I tried to decieve myself, I knew that there was a certain part inside of me that knew I hadn't just heard things. Way in the back of my head, it had heard everything clearly.

I was just forcing myself to not believe it.

A hand on my shoulder broke me away from my thoughts and I jumped. Jonghyun's teasing grin greeted me and turned into a smirk.

"What are you doing here, zoning out? You're going to be late." He pushed past me and walked into the building. I rolled my eyes and followed him in.

"What about you? Aren't you going to be late?" I countered. He scoffed.

"I would be if I weren't the most handsomest guy in this school." I made a gag-reflex off to the side before giving him a look.

"Cocky dino." I mumbled. Jonghyun's ears perked up.

"What'd you just call me?" But I didn't answer and speed-walked all the way to class.


Annyeong lovely readers! ^^

Sorry for the delay in updating.

School. School. School. School.

And also blame my case of writer's block -____-

Enjoy this update!~