11: Job Searching

EW! Get Off Me, You ERT! -- ON HIATUS

I know it might annoy you guys that I'm changing fonts constantly and I've looked at my chapters and some are too tiny to read. I apologize! I'll try and stick to one, because sometimes I forget. Anyways, enjoy! ^^


 

Yun Hee's POV

When I reached the front door to my house, I gulped nervously. *I am so dead once I step through this door.* Tentatively, I approached the door knob slowly. I was silently wishing that time would go in slow motion just for me. But of course not. Fumbling with my keys, I inserted it inside the key hole. Right when I was about to twist the door knob, it was yanked open. "Aish!"

My hand was still on the knob so I was pulled in. I collided with a sturdy figure. Looking up from my awkward position, Chang Sun was standing there giving me a weird look. Briskly, I striaghtened up, giving him one of my blunt glares.

"Could you not do that?" I snapped at him. Smirking at me, he just shrugged. "I don't know what you're talking about." He brushed past me. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Where are you going?"

"Friend's house. Oh and by the way," He turned to me. "Umma wants to talk to you." He saluted. "Later." He grabbed the door knob and shut it behind him. I rolled my house. *My brother and his whereabouts. Next thing you know he's dealing drugs* I dropped my bag at the foot of the staircase and shouted.

"I'm home!" A prompt response came from the kitchen.

"Park Yun Hee, where have you been?" My mother's voice echoed through the halls. Sighing, I trudged down the hall towards the kitchen. *Cheers to my doom.* I spotted her and my older sister cooking some ramen. When I came in, they both looked up. Umma narrowed her eyes at me. Awkwardly, I scratched my head. Glancing at Minji, she gave me a look that said 'I-didn't-tell-her-yet-you-are-so-dead'. I groaned inwardly.

"Er, I had...um..." I gulped a forming lump in my throat. My mom put her hands on her hips and gave me a knowing look. *Crap crap crap ! She knows!*

"Look, umma I--" Then she beamed at me.

"You're finally opening up again and joining clubs and stuff!" She exclaimed brightly. Then she wound her way around the counter and gave me a hug. I was too shocked to move. "I'm so proud of you! You're opening up and becoming your old self!" I became rigid. I naturally despised when my family talked about 'the old me'. It just irritates me.

*Face it. I'm not returning to that innocent Yunnie.*

I had an urge to tell her the truth. That I wasn't in any clubs or anything. I don't even think that our school has clubs. I caught a glimpse of Minji's same surprised face. *So...she isn't part of this either...* Putting on my best fake smile, I pulled away from my mom.

"Um, right. That's why. Er, sorry for coming home late and not making dinner--" My mother just simply waved it away. Minji's jaw dropped even more. I hide to bite down my lip to stop myself from smirking in front of them.

"I have something for you to do anyway." Umma declared. I looked at her.

"What is it?" Tightening the apron around her waist, she walked over to Minji and took over cooking the ramen.

"You and Minji will go job searching tonight!" Umma announced. I gawked at her.

"M-mwo?!"

"Umma!" Me and my sister blurted at the same time. She gave us quizzical looks.

"What? You girls are old enough to get your own job. Your father can't pay for everything around here. He needs help. And you know that I have stuff to do around here." She reasoned. Both of us slumped in our spot.

"What job should we get?" Minji asked. Umma tapped her chin and I had a spark of hope that she couldn;t think of anything and we didn't have to work. Then her gaze flitted to the ramen boiling. Minji and I exchanged a knowing look.

 

Jonghyun's POV

I lifted the hood higher over my head while I followed Key and the others down the street. I scowled. *I cannot believe Key dragged us here just to get something to eat.* After detention, I had bumped into my friends who were waiting behind the school. I didn't explain why I was in school for so long, but I had to treat them for making them wait for so long.

So here we were. We couldn't really decide on what to eat, so we just settled to something that we all enjoyed. We came to an abrupt stop in front of an old ramen shop. It wasn't really that old. Maybe a little broken down.

The blinking sign was turned off, and a few people were eating inside. Onew, pushed open the door and stepped in. Thankfully, the place had people around the age of 50 and up so they didn't recognize us. We sat at a booth in the corner. A young(er) lady in her mid thirties came over to our table and asked us what type of ramen we wanted. Onew agreed settled to chicken flavored ramen. Key and Taemin ordered beef. Minho had shrimp and I agreed to pork. The lady nodded and left for the bowls of ramen.

"So Jonghyun," Key turned to me, leaning back. "Care to explain what you were doing so late in school?" The others perked up their ears to listen as well. I rolled my eyes.

"None of your business." I snapped. Minho examined my face.

"You looked so happy-go-lucky when you left. Did...something good happen?" He questioned, his brow raising. I just put on a poker-face.

"No. And you don't need to know. So don't be so nosy." I chided. He rolled his eyes, smirking but didn't say anymore. I really didn't have any appetite, even though I hadn't eaten a lot today. Right when the ramen came to us, I heard Taemin squeal.

"Noona!" Key's head shot up as well. I peeked over to where he was looking and choked on a piece of ramen when I spotted two very familiar figures walking in. Yun Hee and her sister, Minji, had stepped inside the same ramen shop as us and whirled their heads our way. Minji's face lit up and she waved. Both Key and Taemin frantically waved back. Yun Hee had a bored vibe around her and she scowled at them. She turned to me and her eyes's widened. We locked eyes. She was the first to break the stare and turn to her unnie.

"May I help you?" The lady who had delievered our ramen asked the two girls. Minji spoke first.

"Neh ahjumma. My name is Park Minji and this is my sister, Yun Hee." She motioned to Yun Hee beside her who suddenly had a respectful smile on her face. I blinked in befuddlement. *Did that girl just...smile? Tch, well she has to act if she needs a job.*

"...We're looking for a job. Is there any open spots for us?" Minji finished. The ahjumma brightened.

"Actually yes! I haven't had the time to put up a sign asking for help, but we do need more workers. Follow me." She led them down to the back of the shop. I watched them go, and caught Yun Hee glancing back at me before slipping in behind her sister. I smirked inwardly.

Suddenly, my appetite returned and I slurped up more ramen. *This place is suddenly my most favorite eating spot.* Grinning like an idiot, I finished up my bowl of ramen.


Geez, am I bad at recovering from writer's block or what? -__- 

But anyways, comment and subscribe! ^_^