14 : Finding Weaknesses

EW! Get Off Me, You ERT! -- ON HIATUS

Yun Hee's POV

After school ended, Minji and I headed towards the ramen shop for the first day of work. When we arrived, the bell chimed above our heads signaling us entering. Our boss, Mrs. Song, looked up from cleaning the counter tables. Her eyes lit up at the sight of us. Mrs. Song was a fifty-year-old widow who simply loved serving people her traditional ramen. She and her husband had started the business together, but after he had died a decade ago, the shop lost its...liveliness. Now she runs it alone with her daughter and grand-daughter.

Her wiry gray hair was gathered in a tight bun, and I memorized the wrinkles etched under her eyes. Even though she had aged, you could tell that she was once a beautiful and lovely lady.

"Annyeonghasyeo, ahjumma." Minji and I chorused. She blinked in gratitude and gestured to the back room.

"Annyeong girls. Your new uniforms are in the back locker room. You remember where that is, right?" She asked. We both encouragingly nodded. She gave a genial smile. "Good. Your shift starts in five." 

Bowing respectively, me and unnie headed to the back. The dark room suddenly was lit up as Minji flicked the lights on. Clean rows of lockers lined the room. In the row in front of us, on a bench were two newly ironed uniforms folded neatly. As we were about to approach it, a shuffling on one side of the room, made us freeze. Then a head popped up from behind one of the rows. A girl with long curly, brown hair popped her bubblegum and narrowed her eyes at us. She looked about our age, and her pretty brown eyes probed ours.

"Uhh..." Minji murmured as we exchanged glances. "Hi?"

The girl kept a straight face, as she popped another bubble. "I'm guessing you guys are the new girls?" Her mellow voice asked. I narrowed my eyes at her, not tolerating her suspicious behavior towards us. *Who does she think she is? Some kind of spy? Bossing around the newbies? Well sorry missy, but I won't be bossed by you.*

"Yeah, just starting today." Minji informed her uneasily. She nodded slowly, her eyes scanning us as if she was checking if she could trust us. Minji coughed awkwardly, and took a step forward.

"So, we're going to go and change--" The girl put her hand up to stop her. I rasied my eyebrows in amusement.

"Wait. Aren't you going to introduce yourselves to me?" She asked in a duh manner as if it was expected. Her hands were placed on her hips as she eyed us while popping another bubble. *That's it.*

Just when I was about to snap at her, the door to the locker room burst open. Mrs. Song came into the room and widened her eyes at us.

"Minji, Yun Hee, why aren't you dressed yet?" She quizzically asked. 

"We were about to, but..." Minji's eyes glanced at the mystery girl and Mrs. Song finally took notice of her there.

"Oh! I can't believe you're actually here! Did you use the back door, again?" Mrs. Song accusingly stared at the girl. Surprisingly, the girl sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck.

"Uh, yeah. Mianhamnida Halmoni..." The bowed a full 90 degrees. My eyes pinched together in confusion and shock. Minji gasped. *Halmoni? Mrs. Song is her...*

As if to answer her question, Mrs. Song just chuckled good-naturedly. "Ahh, my little grand-daughter. So polite." I nearly opened my mouth to disagree, but decided against it. Mrs. Song then put her arms on Minji's and my shoulder.

"These are your new co-workers along with your mother. Be nice, arasso?" The girl grinned and nodded. *So she must be the family that Mrs. Song works with...*

"Introduce yourselves. I need to attend the customers." Mrs. Song glanced at all of us, before leaving. Thinking that the girl would return to her bossy self again, I turned to her and raised an eyebrow.

"S-So...she's...your grandma?" Minji stuttered out, still in utter shock. The girl nodded.

"Yeah. We run this place together with my mom." She smiled geuninely. "So, you guys are Minji and Yun Hee, am I correct?" She asked. I warily nodded, still not giving in to her abrupt kindness. The girl's smile broadened, and she stuck her hand out.

cute-asian-hair-medium-brown-curls.jpg

 

"I'm Park Sandara. But you can call me Dara. Or add an unnie if you're younger." She winked as she motioned her hand towards us. My suspicion of her died as she grinned genially. Minji and I shook her hand. After that she placed her hands on her hips.

"Come on then. Go change and let's get to work!" She pumped her fist and gestured for us to change. Obidiently, we did as told. The uniform was a simple navy blue polo that had 'Song's Ramen Shop' imprinted in the corner. I didn't bother with changing my bottom as we headed to the front for work. Dara showed us to the kitchen where they make the ramen, handmade.

"We are known for our homemade ramen." She beamed. Her charismatic side was starting to show, and I instantly warm up to her. Sooner of later, we were serving bowls of ramen to people. Dara encouraged that one day she would teach us how to make their ramen.

An hour had passed into their shift and I placed a bowl of beef-flavored ramen in front of a man. "Here you go, ahjusshi." I bowed and the man smiled gratefully. Right when I was about to turn around, the bells chimed again signaling an incoming customer. I faced the entrance.

"Annyeonghaseyo! Welcome to Song's Ramen Shop--" I stopped in the middle of my greeting when I realized who had entered the shop. She turned to me and feigned shock, but it was too obvious in my eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. Hana raised an eyebrow and folded her arms.

"I came for ramen. Duh." She rolled her eyes. My eyes scanned her body to see she had changed her school attire to a short denim mini-skirt and a plain shirt with the words, 'I'm Adorable ;)' spread diagonally across her chest.

I pursed my lips, but obliged to her request. "Okay, this way." I led her down to an empty table in the corner. After she sat down, I asked in the most polite voice I could manage, "What kind of ramen would you like today?" 

"What do you have?" I bit my lip from irritation and stiffly, listed some.

"Salsa picante shrimp, lime shrimp--" Hana wrinkled her nose in disgust.

"Why are you suddenly just listing shrimp? I'm allergic to those." She narrowed her eyes at me. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, then what about, spicy chicken?" Hana stared at me like I was crazy. "What?"

"Do you hate me?" She vehemently asked. I was about to answer. *Yes, you crazy .* But figured it was a rhetorical question.

"Then what do you want?"

"Just give me plain chicken-flavored." She stated, crossing her arms stubbornly. I cocked a suspicious eyebrow. *If you already had one in mind, why the hell would you make me list some you little idiot.*

"Okay. Be right back." I awkwardly bowed, and walked away into the kitchen. Right when I entered, I closed the door shut and gripped onto the handle. Minji looked up as I walked in. She eyed my rigid hand.

"What's up? Why so tense?" She asked. 

"Hana's here." I growled and let go of the handle, heading towards her. Minji was working on making the orders. Minji's eyebrows furrowed together.

"So?" She nonchalantly said. "And what does she want?" 

I frustratingly threw my hands up. "I don't know! I didn't even think she could stand being in a ramen shop. I thought she would eat at a fancy restaurant for a snack." I bitterly muttered. Minji tilted her head in confusion then bonked me on the head with her hand. "Ow!" I glared at her.

"I didn't mean that, you pabo! I meant the type of ramen she wants!" Minji snapped. I formed an 'o' with my mouth. Then I answered, flustered. "Chicken." Minji nodded and went to the back. Before she disappeared, she called.

"And don't worry so much Yunnie! It's not like she's after you or anything." I sarcastically laughed, but didn't answer.

*That's the problem. I feel like she is after me. There is something up with that girl. And I'm going to find out what it is.* I glanced over to where Minji had disappeared to get the ramen. I smirked. *But, she was stupid enough to give me two things that she dislikes. What fun will I have with only two of your weaknesses, Jung Hana?*

Snapping out of my thoughts, I stretched my arm out just when Minji came back with the ramen. The steam from the bowl wafted into my nose, telling me that it was a new batch from Dara, who was working in the kitchen actually cooking.

"Go get her!" Minji casually cheered, not realizing that what she said gave an ironic sense to me.


Heeyyy guys! I back! Sorry for long wait. Enjoy! Comment and subscribe my lovelies! ^^

Like my pic of 2NE1? Lol I decided for a surprise character :)