Not All Together

A Protector Of Light

“Tell me everything you know about my friends, Hyoyeon.”

 Hyoyeon pouted and cocked her head like a curious little girl. “But you already know, Sunny. You’ve known them for so long. But just to warn you, I don’t think you would like to be with them right now.”

 Sunny widened her eyes. “Hyoyeon. You already know how I feel about them. Why wouldn’t I want them to be here?”

 Hyoyeon paused. She looked deep in thought for a moment.
 Then, she leaned forward, put her hand on Sunny’s arm and whispered, “You’ve fallen for them, haven’t you?”

 Sunny stared.
 Has she? Has she really fallen for twelve guys at once, and only knowing them by, say, a few months?
 But she had to admit, when Hee-su had gotten too close for Sunny to bear, she felt angry and jealous. That was the moment she felt it for all of them, she just suddenly noticed it when they left her. And now that Hyoyeon had said it, Sunny realized how true it was. Maybe she had fallen for them. All of them.
 How unrealistic.

 “Sunny, really? Already?” Hyoyeon’s voice broke her out of her thoughts.

 Sunny looked at her. “Huh?”

 Hyoyeon rolled her eyes. “Will you pay attention for once? I expect more from a Protected.”

 Protected. Did she hear right? It was correct. Hyoyeon knew more then what she was letting off.

 “Hyoyeon!” Sunny called. “Please, tell me what you know before I explode.”

 Hyoyeon opened , but then shut it abruptly. She stood up and walked to Sunny’s bed, landing hard with a thud.
 “Sunny, as much as I don’t want to see you explode into a million pieces, I am not in liberty to say.” Hyoyeon crossed her legs and turned away coyly, like the way they do it in those old dramatic black and white TV shows.

 “Why?” Sunny asked softly. She really thought Hyoyeon would tell her anything. She usually did. But this time, Hyoyeon remained still and quiet. That’s such a change in her.

 “What happened to being best friends?” Sunny asked. “Best friends tell everything, remember?”

 Hyoyeon sighed, and turned to her. “Sometimes in friendships, as well as relationships, there would be no lies, but there will be secrets. Even friends have to keep secrets. You should know. Imagine, what could those boys be keeping from you that they had to make haste and leave without a word?” Hyoyeon’s voice turned low and menacing.
 She hopped off the bed and re the floor with Sunny. Hyoyeon picked at the plastic in the photo book and lifted it up, grabbing three pictures with the boys printed on them.

 Hyoyeon held them up. It was the pictures they took at the beach the first night they met, them smiling and splashing each other like no tomorrow.
 Although Sunny smiled at the memories, a menacing growl made it falter. Hyoyeon looked her deeply in the eye.

 “No doubt you are in love. But I must warn you, it is not love Sunny. It is magic they are bewitching on you. Do not let them get to you. I highly recommend you forget about them. They are not worthy of such power as yours.”

 What power? What does all of this mean? Why won’t anyone tell her? She can’t figure it out on her own when everyone is giving her mixed clues.
 Everyone new that she had met when she arrived in Seoul were all normal. But once she met the boys, she was met with strange stories with, unfortunately, real-life characters. At least she can confirm it wasn’t all in her head.
 Sunny made a deep frown.

 “What?” Hyoyeon asked, the malice gone from her voice and false innocence naturally coming back. She did not expect this reaction from Sunny.

 “Hyoyeon, I’m missing pieces of this puzzle,” Sunny stared at into her brown and hazel eyes.

 “I don’t believe I know your meaning,” Hyoyeon said, her accent heavier than before.

 Sunny sat up straighter. “Help me Hyoyeon,” Sunny took a breath and started.
 “I have seen a rain storm start inside a dining room. I followed a glowing orb of light into the ocean. I had a dream about kings and demon’s having a battle, which you wrote in the first line of our story.” Hyoyeon frowned. “I’ve met four girls that are clearly as evil as the devil himself. You, a rebellious and mysterious girl I am not sure I can fully trust, as well as Hee-su, who claims not to know you but hates you anyway. And twelve boys who must be angles. That man you spray painted on the wall could be one of them. And according to everyone else, and you, I am a Protected. I have all these pieces, and you have the rest of them, Hyoyeon. Why can’t you help me put it together?”

 Hyoyeon sat still, dumbfounded, which made Sunny frown again.
 Her hands gripped tightly at the pictures, and her face was turning red, as well as her eyes. Sunny felt scared now. She backed away a little bit.

 Once taking a ragged and deep breath, Hyoyeon said, “I, unfortunately, cannot say anything because–”
 A ring was heard. Poppy barked from the bottom of the stairs. Hyoyeon and Sunny turned, looking in the direction of the bed.

 It was coming from her bag.

 Sunny and Hyoyeon were completely silent. Who could that be? No one really messaged her except her mother, Hee-su and Hyun-Woo. There was barely anyone who knew her number.
 Hyoyeon dropped the pictures. Sunny slowly stood. Who knew anyone could get so scared of a phone message.

 Sunny glance at a frozen Hyoyeon before walking to her bag and fishing her phone out of the pocket. Hyoyeon finally got up from the floor and stood closely against Sunny’s back, looking over her shoulder at the phone.
 She looked to check the message. Strangely, these wasn’t a number showing, or even a name. The message contained only three words:

 Open the door

 Hyoyeon and Sunny exchanged a long look.

 “I don’t know about this. This looks suspicious.” Hyoyeon said, glancing out of the window behind her out of the corner of her eye.

 Sunny shook her head. “Everything is nothing more than suspicious these days,” Sunny looked her in the eye. “Even you,” she added.
 Hyoyeon looked hurt.

 Sunny threw her phone across the bed, sighing.

 Sunny started toward her door, but Hyoyeon’s mutterings of “But. . . But. . .” made her stop.

 Hyoyeon looked down at the floor and fiddled with her fingers, looking like a twelve year old.
 Sunny felt like she had just hurt her feelings, but Hyoyeon had already done enough with telling her she couldn’t see her friends anymore. She didn’t want to hear her fake reasoning’s anymore. The only way to solve this was to tackle it head on. Head straight for the clues until she gets the answers she wants. Sunny walked out of the room and into the hall. Hyoyeon quickly followed suit, moving closer to Sunny’s back and hanging on to her shirt like a pup close to its owner.
 She muttered, ever so quietly, “I’m not sure about this Sunny. I can feel it.”

 Sunny shrugged. “If you can feel it, then I just have to go after it.”
 Hyoyeon whimpered.
 Poppy was waiting at the bottom of the staircase. He barked towards the front door and pawed the floorboards slightly.

 Once they were at the bottom of the stairs, Hyoyeon let go of Sunny’s shirt to stay in the shadows. Sunny didn’t notice she let go. She walked pass Poppy and to the door, expecting the worse. It could be that glowing ball of light come to surprise her again. Or it could be one of those four girls. Out of the whole group, she didn’t want to see Chaerin. The girl made it clear Sunny was no friend of hers, as well as the others. She didn’t know about Bom though. That woman actually looked like she took a liking in her, so Bom wasn’t all that bad an option.
 Taking a deep breath, Sunny shook her off her fear and grabbed the door knob.
 No more running. Time to face this head on. Be brave.

 Hyoyeon, who still stood quietly in the stair case, backed away farther into the darkness.

 Sunny turned the knob . . . opened the door . . . looked up, and instantly felt weak at the knees.
 It had only been a few weeks, maybe even a month, since she’s seen this beautiful half smile and gorgeous cheeks. Hyoyeon gasped in wonder. How beautiful he looked. She has not seen him for so long, and some how it feels like they had seen each other yesterday.
 Sunny almost lost her balance, and her friend had to catch her, almost falling against his chest.

 Xiumin chuckled and looked down at her. “Missed me?”

 Sunny didn’t say anything. All she wanted to do was just stare, and know he’s right there. He’s actually right here in front of her, and holding tightly as it is.
 Sunny spilled a tear.

 Xiumin frowned. “What’s wrong, Sunny? What happened?” He wiped her tears from her cheeks softly with his fingers.

 Sunny shook her head. “Nothing. You answered my calls.”

 Xiumin chuckled again. “We all did.” He inclined his head behind him.
 Sunny looked at the bottom of the stairs.

 Luhan waved at her. He dressed comfortably in a white t-shirt and jeans. He looked as handsome as before, and his hair was now the color of scarlet.

 Sunny eagerly ran down to him and gave him a tight bear hug.
 Luhan laughed and squeezed her harder than she did. “How’s it going, sunshine?”

 Sunny let go of him and smiled brightly. “Great! Well, great now. I haven’t seen you guys in a while. Are you coming back to Seoul? Are the rest of the brothers here with you?” Sunny looked around and behind Luhan, trying to spot the rest of the boys that could be hiding from her.

 “No. The rest of them are still at our new place,” Luhan said, giving a small and sad smile.

 “And unfortunately, no. We aren’t moving back,” Xiumin said from the top of the stars.

 Sunny muttered a soft “Oh”. But she did not falter a nice and welcoming smile. She looked just like her mother.
 “Well, how about you guys come in.”

 Luhan and Xiumin entered the house after Sunny, and Luhan closed the door behind in. Poppy immediately came running towards the boys, barking excitingly at the new guests.

 “Why hello little fellow.” Luhan bent down to pat and rub Sunny’s dog.

 “New dog?” Xiumin asked.

 Sunny nodded, keeping her warm smile on her face. “Yup. He’s brand new. His name is Poppy.”

 “Well, I like you, Poppy,” Luhan said, rubbing the dog’s body all over. Poppy laid down on his back and enjoyed the scratches and rubs the guest presented him.  

 The little shadow in the stairways shuffled and stepped up the stairs. She tried not to make a sound, but Luhan already had heard her. He stopped and froze in his place, his ear leaning towards the direction of the staircase. He looked like a lion stalking his prey.
 Sunny and Xiumin sat down on the couch in the living room, but wondered why Luhan wasn’t with them. They both turned back to where the kitchen was through the doorway, and saw Luhan looking up into the staircase. Poppy whimpered, wondering why he had stopped.

 “You okay, Luhan?” Xiumin asked.

 Luhan whipped his head towards the two. “Sunny, who else is in the house?”

 “Um, my mom and dad, Hyun-Woo and Hee-su, and my friend, Hyoyeon.”

 Xiumin and Luhan both whipped their heads towards her. Sunny almost flinched at the sudden emotion in their eyes.

 “Who’s Hyoyeon?” Xiumin asked, his eyes shot to the staircase and suspicion flashed through his eyes.

 Sunny was kind of scared to tell them. They might run towards her room and try to snatch her up. That’s kind of the worst case scenario.  
 “Uh. . .”

 “Who’s Hyoyeon?” Luhan asked more loudly.

 “She’s a new student at our school. Well, my school, I guess. She and I have been hanging out for some time. I guess she’s a little shy right now.” Sunny really didn’t notice she had gone back upstairs. Hyoyeon was being so quiet now. Usually when she’s meeting new people, she’ll try to make quite an impression.

 Luhan muttered something under his breath, and looked at her wrist. Looking at her full moon bracelet. He cursed.
 Xiumin went after Luhan as he started walking quickly to the staircase. Poppy jerked up into a standing position. When Sunny stood to follow them, Xiumin held out his hand. “Stay here,” he commanded. Then he headed up the stairs after Luhan.

 Even though she didn’t want to, Sunny stood frozen in her place. What was that about? They obviously recognized Hyoyeon’s name, and not all liked the thought of it. Much less about her being friends with her. Hyoyeon caused trouble and worries everywhere she went. What is exactly going on with her?
 Sunny thought back to that dinner. The faces Luhan and Xiumin showed right now were the same ones they showed when the four woman showed up and ruined their night. Another piece of the puzzle added. Hyoyeon was not a good guy in this mixture of kings, glowing balls, and fallen angles. In fact, she could be a fallen. That would explain her behavior and her commanding words for Sunny to not see or think about her friends anymore. It could also be why she wouldn’t tell her anything. I’m not in liberty to say. Huh. Of course you weren’t.
 A shuffling came from upstairs, and then a soft cry. More bumping and crying of distress.
 Luhan and Xiumin came down the stairs holding Hyoyeon by her arms, and looking to be keeping a tight grip on her so she wouldn’t escape them. Poppy barked madly at her suddenly, like she took his favorite treat. Hyoyeon looked like she was on the verge of tears. Her pupils were dilated and her skin was rather flushed.

 Sunny gasped. “Guys,”

 Luhan held up his hand. “No, you don’t understand, Sunny. This isn’t good.” He turned to Hyoyeon. “Take it off.”
 Hyoyeon silently but vigorously shook her head. Luhan shook her by the arm. “Take it off of her.” His voice held a warning.

 Hyoyeon whimpered. She looked at Sunny. “Sunny, your friends are so mean!”

 Xiumin shook her this time. “Stop fooling around! Take off the bracelet.”

 Sunny furrowed her brows. “Bracelet? My bracelet?”

 “Yes,” Xiumin answered. He gave her that brief answer then turned back to Hyoyeon. “Now, Kim Hyoyeon, or face consequences.”

 Hyoyeon looked at Sunny, then back at her friends. “It’s too late, you know. They already know. And when they find out you killed one of their own, they’ll come after you.”

 Luhan rolled his eyes. “Something tells me they wouldn’t mind losing the weakest one of the bunch.”
 Luhan pushed her towards Sunny, still keeping tight hold of her arm.

 Hyoyeon whimpered again. She’s doing that a lot today.
 She gave an apologetic look to Sunny, pouting her lips, and grabbed her wrist that held the bracelet. “I’m sorry, Sunny. Their making me do it.”
 Hyoyeon unclasped the ribbon of the bracelet, and moved to put it inside her pocket. But, Xiumin swiftly caught her wrist, and snatched the bracelet out of her hand.

 The boys reluctantly let go of her arms.
 
 Luhan said, “You know, I wanted to speak to Sunny a little bit alone. But why don’t we have little Hyoyeon as a witness. I feel this would make a wonderful story.”

 Xiumin smirked, and nodded. “Yes Hyoyeon. Have a seat, far away, while we talk for a bit.”

 Sunny wasn’t so sure of these pieces of the puzzle. They were smudged. She had no clue what just happened.
 Luhan and Xiumin, they finally answered her desperate calls to see them. She still felt happy about that. But, what about this situation. And she still wanted that other incident cleared up. Hyoyeon may not have given her what she really wanted. But, her friends were here now. Now, she could get the answers she needed more than the world. But she knew the answers wouldn’t come easily. She’d have to stay determined. Be clever and get the answers out herself. Now was the time she could find out about everything.

 Sunny, Luhan, and Xiumin sat on the coffee-brown couch, while Hyoyeon sat far away in the pastel reclining chair, curled up in a ball and looking at the floor, the wall, the furniture. Anywhere but in their direction. Her calm and confident demeanor had completely disappeared the moment Xiumin sent her that text. She was very afraid of the boys. Sunny wondered what they did to make her so afraid of them. No one fears these seemingly normal and bright boys.

 “Mind if I talk first?” Sunny said, looking each boy in the eye.

 Luhan and Xiumin didn’t say anything, but give a muted nod and averting their eyes from hers.

 “Good. Well, the most obvious question to ask first is why you guys left so suddenly. Emergencies? Family matters?”
 Sunny paused for moment, giving her friends a chance to speak. But they didn’t. They chose to hold their tongue and let Sunny talk for however long she could. It made Sunny irritated. Not saying anything? Fine. She’ll just have to say it like it is.

 “Does it have to do with the Fallen?”
 Sunny finally caught there expression. Even Hyoyeon looked up to glance at the group before looking at the floor again. The two boys looked at her directly.
 “Yeah, I’m asking. Does it have to do with the Fallen?”

 “What do you know about that?” Luhan asked.

 “Enough to know from what you said at the dinner, the last time you were there. The four ladies, they are the Fallen, I assume?”

 Xiumin’s brows knitted together. “You . . . remember that night?”

 Sunny exchanged eyes with the two. “Was I not supposed to?”
 Her friends looked at each other in panic. Ha! Caught them right where she want them.

 Luhan said, “We didn’t think you would, since you kind of passed out on us.”

 “Yeah, well, I do. Mind explaining? And don’t lie to me either. After escaping from me unexpectedly, you kind of owe me an explanation.”

 “Sunny, we just came to see if you’re okay. We didn’t expect questions.” Luhan said, looking suddenly uncomfortable.

 “Don’t try and avoid my questions. You should be expecting them. You know me, this shouldn’t be a surprise.”
 Sunny felt her anger rising in her. So much she felt like she needed to hit them just to get it out of them.

 Taking a breath, she said, “I have heard things. And I have had dreams. You boys don’t fool me. You are kings, you and the rest of your brothers, from somewhere not from here. Bom, CL, Dara, and Minzy, they are Fallen angels. And Hyoyeon too, I just figured that out today. And Hee-su, I don’t know why and I don’t know how I know, but she is somehow linked to you guys because she immediately hated Hyoyeon on sight. Me too, in fact. I’m a Protected as Kim and others have said. So now that I’ve told you everything, the first question I would like to know is if you guys left because of the girls?”

 The two boys just stared at her for a moment, and then Luhan said, “You really have figured out everything.”

 “Of course she has. She’s a Protected.” Even Hyoyeon looked up at her in amazement, and for some reason, praise.

 “Will you shut your mouth over there, demon?” Xiumin spitted.

 Hyoyeon stood up big and tall, like a tiger ready to pounce. She sneered. “Make me, little king.”

 Xiumin held out his hand and a wind knocked Hyoyeon back in the chair. The room got colder. Xiumin stood up and walked toward the shivering girl. He blew another wind into her face, and Sunny froze as she saw Hyoyeon’s skin slowly turn gray as dust and her eyes unfocused until she was looking at nothing. She became a cold and frozen lump on her mother’s couch.

 “What did you do to her?” Sunny asked still staring at Hyoyeon.

 Xiumin sighed. “Something that’ll keep her quiet for the time being.” He calmly sat back in his seat.

 “But, she’s not . . . dead, is she?”

 “Nope. Just frozen.”

 Sunny shook her head in disbelief. Not only are they kings, but they have some magical powers. What else could they be hiding from her?

 “Nothing you haven’t already heard.” Luhan said, holding out her hand.

 Sunny didn’t take it, but narrowed her eyes at him. “What’s your power?”

 “Telepathy.” Luhan answered, holding out his hand further.

 Sunny kept her eyes on him while keeping her hands clasped and close to her body. No way was he going to try and use his magic on her.

 “I will never do that to you, Sunny. In fact this my first time using it on you.”

 “Stop it. Now.”

 “I only want to show you the truth. Lend me your hand and you will know the truth to our story.” Luhan’s doe eyes sparkled just like they have always been. But the boy she has known for almost a year comes back different then from what she can remember. He’s a king, all of them. With magical powers that they could use on her in any advantage.

 “Please, Sunny. You wanted to know this so badly. This is your chance.”
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


     Missed Me, Didn't You?