Watching Over

A Protector Of Light

 When the family of three got home, Lynn offered a cup of hot cocoa, but Sunny declined. She went upstairs to her room and plopped on to bed not giving a second thought of her wet night gown, feeling a great weight had just descended onto her shoulders. Things were going fine for the past seven months, and now a single quote was all it took to destroy it all. They moved away. They won’t be coming back. Sunny sniffed, and wiped what was left of her tears off her face. It was so late out now, and Sunny wanted to run back to the beach. But instead Sunny slipped inside her covers, and clutched the stuffed dear Luhan had given her for comfort. When her, Luhan, and Suho went to the amusement park. Luhan had happily won this little bear after trying three times to knock the tall green bottles down. Sunny had insisted it was fine and for him to stop trying, but Luhan kept at it until he won. “For you,” Luhan’s sweet words echoed in her ears. Sunny let the tears leak from her closed lids and soak lightly into the pillow. It wasn’t anger or grief that filled her anymore; It was just sadness. She wished the situation could be more simple, straightforward. Why was this leave so sudden and quiet? She new it was childish, but all she could think was how unfair it all was. Whilst thinking and thinking she was too weary to notice how sleepy she actually was. But she did, knowing not too well what could soon come to her any day.

 Sunny didn’t talk much for a week. In fact, she didn’t want to talk at all. Lynn, Bernie, and Hyun-Woo didn’t stress her to talk too, considering she might yell or lose her temper. That’s how Sunny was when she was sad or depressed. This was extreme compared to other incidences When she was younger, the tempers never flared easily, and the depression was gotten over with after a day. But this was going on for the rest of the week. Nothing could cheer her up. It was like she was out of this world. On the other hand, she didn’t know it, but it didn’t take long to hear from her friends. The kings who had made it to their EXO kingdom without stopping, and worrying about Sunny all at the same time. Monday morning at school when she opened her locker, a folded clip of paper fell out and drifted slowly to the ground. She picked it up, hopelessly expecting it to be from one of the boys, though still knowing it probably wasn’t. But it wasn’t a single word she looked at, not a sentence, or a little note. It was created by someone with a skillful artist hand , the lines imitating dark calligraphy that she couldn’t recognize. It was so neatly drawn. So beautiful. The bright sun and light moon just morphing together to make a dark oval in the middle. The sun’s rays were of bright fire, and the moon was practically glowing in light despite of the black and white sketch. And then, Sunny spotted writing on the bottom. Four unknown symbols written just as beautifully as the sun and the moon.

 No one would know what they said. But Sunny wanted to know what it meant. So, she didn’t tell or show anyone. Didn’t speak a word of it. She tried not to think about the boys for the rest of the day, but it wasn’t an easy task. They weren’t at school. Ever. And she desperately needed to talk to them. It felt like the week had gone on like an eternity. So much was happening.

 The day passed in a slight golden haze. Like how the sun rays could have done in her drawing. She had come alive for about ten minutes during lunchtime, when she spoke to Hee-su about something she could do for her. Something Hyun-Woo had spoken of briefly a little while ago.

 “You know the boys who used to go here, my boys, right Hee-su?” Sunny asked, her eyes slightly downcasted and playing with her limp tomato. She was practically taking apart her sandwich.

 Hee-su answered with a full mouth, “Of course. You were gone with them most of the day.”

 Sunny’s mouth twitched a bit. “Good. I want to ask a favor.”

 “Go right ahead,” Hee-su said, at the same time playfully pushing away Hyun-Woo’s attempt to feed her the red and brown tomato.

 “Hyun-Woo says your good at finding any number. Any ones. Any where.”

 Hee-su nodded. “It’s a little trick I learned from my brother. He was famous in his school for his hacking. He knew how to get in security systems. I knew how to get connection.” she smirked.

 Sunny was taken aback for a moment, but didn’t let it show to her friends. She straightened up and took a breath. “Good,” Sunny threw the lettuce from her sandwich across her tray. “Then, can you help me get one of my old friends numbers.”

 Hee-su opened to answer, but Hyun-Woo stopped her by waving his hand in disagreement.

 “Noona, don’t do that. It’s just gonna break your heart more. Forget about those players. Their no good for you.”

 Sunny sighed. Oh, how she sometimes found Hyun-Woo’s protectiveness annoying, especially these days. “I really need to talk to them, Hyun-Woo. I was meant to talk to them a long time ago. I have to get a hold on somebody’s phone number. And you can’t stop me.”

 Hyun-Woo dropped his fork. “But, noona. . .”

 Sunny held up her hand. “No no, Hyun-Woo. I can make decisions for myself, without your help.” Hyun-Woo made a feeling of hurt, but Sunny didn’t care for it. She was desperate now. She turned back to Hee-su. “So. Can you do that for me?”

 Hee-su stopped to think for a moment. She looked at Hyun-Woo, who’s eyes screamed a warning of ‘no’. But Sunny looked her in patience. Hee-su made her decision.
 “Okay. No problem.” Hyun-Woo groaned. Sunny smiled, shaking Hee-su’s hand in agreement.

 Sunny waited for the week. It was when Hee-su came over on Saturday evening, greeting Hyun-Woo with a kiss, and then heading up silently to Sunny’s room. She removed a small slip of paper from her binder and handed it to Sunny. She could only find one number. She explained that it was her first time running into such difficulty with hacking for digits. So, only one number was she had. Xuimin’s. Sunny thanked her with a happy hug. When Hee-su retreated down the stairs, Sunny proceeded to dial the number. But her mood descended back into grayness as soon as the call went straight to voice mail. She tried two more times. No answer. Only voicemail. She waited an hour in her room, waiting for Xuimin to call back, but he didn’t. So she tried again. She tried and tried till twelve a.m. A dark cloud seemed to have filled her mind, and she couldn’t catch any of the thoughts that raced through her mind because they disappeared so quickly. She fell asleep. This was becoming part of her routine. Everyday she would try two times to reach Xuimin. During school it was during free time, and then once during lunch. Still, wouldn’t answer. She couldn’t ask for anything more, because this is the only number Hee-su could dig up.
 This was unbelievable. Didn’t they want to talk to her? How she felt? Why she would sound so sad if someone even picked up the phone?

 “I can’t get through to Xuimin,” Sunny managed to choke out during dinner. “I try in the morning. No answer. I try in the afternoon. No answer. I try in the evening. No freaking answer.”

 Lynn and Bernie looked at each other.

 “There’s no need to worry, sweetheart,” said Bernie kindly. “There are plenty of reasons why he might not be answering the phone.”

 “What if he’s doing it on purpose?”

 “Maybe it’s because he’s not ready to face your temper. Or there isn’t any good phone connection. Or maybe he’s unwell. Rest assured Sunny, he will pick up soon,” Lynn reassured Sunny.

 Sunny nodded and tried to swallow her food, but it stuck to like glue. She didn’t want to speak to her parents anymore; She just dragged herself up to bed feeling like the walls were closing in. That night her eyes burned and she felt hot and dizzy. She had called again. No answer. She felt she couldn’t make another day. Where were they? What were they trying to do to her?

 Hee-su saw Sunny sagging against her locker. She walked up and put a hand gingerly on her shoulder.

 “Sunbun, are you okay, hon?”
 Her and Hee-su have gotten strangely closer since the boys left. It was like they were strangers at first, but now Hee-su has proven to like Sunny more then she appeared.

 Sunny held up her phone, which she’s been gripping since she got to school. Hee-su nodded knowingly.

 “I have to get in touch with him, Hee-su,” Sunny said. “But I can’t ever get in touch with him or any of them.”

 She slid down the locker. Hee-su bent down and sat next to her. “I have a headache. I feel as if my brain can’t take it, and it’s about to explode.”

 Hee-su bit her lip, and rubbed the top of Sunny’s head. “I think there’s something you need to see,” she said softly.

 Sunny sighed. “What ever it is, it can wait. I have to go to class soon.” Sunny started to stand, but Hee-su held her back.

 “I think it’s better if you saw it now.” Hee-su proceeded to root through her junky backpack. What came out was a black envelope with a strange pattern of stars.
 Sunny took it in her hands. “Who’s it from?”

 Hee-su shrugged. “Look.”

 Sunny turned the envelope over, and spotted the white text on the left corner. It was addressed to her house, but there wasn’t a return address. But there was something that defiantly caught her eye. Something that made her pulse race. Three little words that nearly made her cry. To Our Sunshine. Sunny gasped. No one else called her sunshine but them. Not another single person. She quickly hastened to open the letter. What came out was a blank piece of paper with only one sentence inside.

 Angle of our Heaven, we are watching over you.

 What could that mean? It was obvious they still cared about her. They had called her their girl one time. But how could they be watching her? They were so far away probably. Now she really wanted to talk to them. No letters. Actual talking.
 Sunny silently slipped the letter back into the envelope. She got up. “I’m probably gonna skip a few minutes of class. I’ll be outside in the courtyard.”

 Hee-su nodded. “Okay. Take the time you need.” she chuckled. “I hear the guard sneaks off to smoke during class hours, so feel free to sneak out and in as you please.”

 “See you later.”

 Sunny waved goodbye. Hee-su watched as she went. She watched as Sunny existed through the front doors. And she stood still in her spot until everyone else in the hall was gone. Slowly, curved into a smile. “Happiness has never been sunnier, my kings.” She sent a silent praise to her kings, and then walked off to class.

 Sunny sighed in content as she lowered herself to the grassy ground, against the tree Xuimin would read for break time. He was rarely shown kicking a ball, or throwing his shoes in the air, but always quietly enjoying a good book. It felt so strangely warm being here on a January day. And when the news said there was suppose to be light showers. But there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Only the pure sunshine raining down on her through the tree’s branches. The grief, sadness, slight anger melted through her body.
It was that one line in the letter. It appeared to be so little, and yet it gave a great deal of light into her dark heart. She was serene with herself, by herself.
 They had called her their angle of heaven. And that their watching over her. Sunny smiled. The boys never fail to bring light into her life, even if it was written simply on a piece of paper. What if that drawing she got was from them too? But how could it get to her without being in an envelope? It could have been from an anonymous. Or they simply put it in the wrong locker. But all that mattered was now. The boys still care. Now if they could only give her a call.


 Sunny stayed outside longer then she thought. In fact, she fell asleep and was outside for the whole school day. What woke her up was the light drip of water being poured on her face. Her eyes twitched open. She become fully aware of her surroundings when the bell rang. Five minutes later, kids scattered out the front door holding their heads down and keeping their sweaters high over their heads. Some were trying to hold a binder up there too. Sunny yawned as she got up from her tree, and went walking off. She didn’t stop to wonder where Hee-su and Hyun-Woo were. She didn’t care for the rain that was starting to fall really quickly. She just walked on, not giving a care in the world. Normal Sunny was there for the rest of the day. Silent, but normal. But of course, this Sunny is still a teenager. And sometimes teenagers do thing to take their mind off things. With no other connection from the boys, Sunny would have reverted back to gray and bleak.
 But a little blonde with a pink bow and holding a can of spray-paint had a few other things to say. That girl you may ask: Kim Hyoyeon.