Angel of Darkness

A Protector Of Light

 Even though it was Sunny’s favorite and most interesting class of Wednesday, she wasn’t in the mood for classic literature. She wanted to stay home. Or go and sit on the beach for a little while. Just for the nice quite. She had tried to call Xuimin as soon as she got home, but still no pick up. That note may have given her too much hope. She tried again just yesterday, no answer. She tried earlier today even. Jeez. If they had sent her note, shouldn’t they at least try and call. It wasn’t fair, as usual.

 “It won’t matter if we’re just a few minute late,” Hyun-Woo wheedled.

 “Nope,” Hee-su said, prying his permanently latched on fingers from hers. “I need to be on time today.”

 “You’ve turned into my grandma. My very small little grandma,” Hyun-Woo grumbled. Sunny wasn’t listening to the lovey-dovey talk from the couple. She only stared straight ahead of her. Hee-su took the books from Hyun-Woo’s arms. These days, he rarely let his girlfriend carry her own books. He used an excuse to look stronger among the male population of the school. Though Hee-su was worried to appear lazy to everyone else.

 “Call me a grandma all you want. But you know, I can carry my own stuff, Hyun-Woo, my arms aren’t broken.” Hee-su said.

 “I know,” Hyun-Woo replied, flashing his adorable smile. “But I enjoy doing that stuff for you. I can’t get enough.”

 The next Sunny knew, a bang was heard against the wall, and she turned to see Hyun-Woo dropping all of the books entirely and was making out with Hee-su on the spot. Hee-su kissed back forcefully, her arms wrapped around his neck, and their body’s pressed closely together. Sunny blushed. A few students started to openly stare at them.

 “Get a room,” someone sniped, but they ignored them.
 As more and more comments swept through the hall about the couple openly kissing, Sunny turned away and walked down the hall to literature. She had to fight not to laugh out loud when a girl behind her went, “Why can’t you kiss me like that?” and an audible slap in the back of the head was heard.

 Lucky for Sunny, the classic literature teacher, Miss A., wasn’t the sort of teacher to be bothered about punctuality. As soon as she entered the room Miss A. handed her a Shakespeare book and greeted with a smile. Sunny took her seat in the front row.

 “Hello, miss Sunny,” she said. “We were just discussing the introductions to third quarter. I was just assigning the class to a creative writing project, which has to be done with a partner. Together you’ll come up with a short story with the top subject of love. I suggest looking at poems like ‘Annabel Lee’ by Edgar Allan Poe. I gave you the Shakespeare book for more inspiration. But first, does anyone have a favorite poem they’d like to share?”

 “Yes, ma’am,” said a husky voice from the back of the room. Sunny scanned the room to identify the speaker who had a distinct accent. She couldn’t recognize it though. English? French? Swedish?
 An awed silence fell over the rest of the class. It was someone she’s never seen before. A late newcomer. She’s brave to go out on a limb on the first day, Sunny said.

 “Thank you, Hyoyeon!” Miss A. said enthusiastically. “Please, come up here and recite for us.”

 “Certainly, madam.”

 The girl that strode to the front of the room was not what Sunny expected at all. Something about her appearance made her ooze with self-confidence. She was small and lean, and her long blonde hair reached almost to her waist. Her cheekbones were sharp but she had an exceptionally round face. You could see clearly too, each of her eyes were a different color. One was brown. The other was a golden hazel. It fit well together with her thin eyebrows. Her full lips curved into an arrogant smirk.
 She was dressed in light green jeans and a matching green shirt that hanged off one shoulder and had the numbers 666 on the front. From her lean figure the shirt was an inch above her waist line. Her blonde hair was accompanied by a pink bow stuck in her hair. Different symbols and words were tattooed on her right arm. Sunny had never seen anyone particular like this before. Oh yes, she was beautiful. But there was something about him that suggested more than beauty. What could it be? Sunny expected the rest of the class was trying to guess.

 Hyoyeon’s smoldering swept across the classroom, catching everyone’s attention. Before Sunny could look towards the window, her eyes locked with Sunny’s. She gave a slight smile, then looked forward before beginning.

 “Sonnet 73 of Shakespeare’s book,” she announced smoothly. “It is simply about a man knowing he is close to death at his age, but to reassure his lover that as he goes on he will never forget or ever stop loving her.”

 The class stared at her entranced. When she began to speak, her voice seemed to flow out like rich syrup. It filled the room. It was a confident voice. One of someone who is used to having her own way.



“That time of year thou mayst in me behold,
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang.
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
In me thou seest the twilight of such day,
As after sunset fadeth in the west, Which by and by black night doth take away
Death’s second self, that seals up all in rest.
In me thou seest the glowing of such fire ,
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie, As the death-bed whereon it must expire,
Consumed with that which it was nourished by.
This thou perciev’st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well, which thou must leave ere long.”



 When Hyoyeon finished, Sunny couldn’t help but notice that everyone, including Miss A., was enraptured, gazing at her as if she was an angle descending down from the heavens. Even Sunny had to admit how good she sounded. Her voice and recitation of the sonnet were on point, as though she was the man speaking in the poem. The class was drinking it in, and their eyes were filled with sorrow, as if Hyoyeon was there explaining them she was dying, and she wanted to tell her lover that she was still fine.

 “That was very excellent impression, miss Hyoyeon,” Miss A. breathed. “I certainly have to keep your abilities in mind. All right, everyone, I hope that inspired you to come up with your own story. When I say short, it can be exactly like that. It can become a poem even. I’d like you to get into pairs and brainstorm. The form is entirely up to you. Go on-you have your complete poetic licenses!”

 The class began to rearrange themselves so they sat in pairs around the room. As everyone ran to friends, Sunny stayed put. She didn’t want to be with a partner. She actually wanted to stay put. She had decided to ask the teacher to work alone, but when she looked up Hyoyeon was standing in front of her.

 “Want to be partners?” she asked, her foreign accent a little heavy. “You seem to be the only person alone.”

 “Yeah. I guess,” Sunny said, gesturing to the empty seat next to her.

 Hyoyeon threw a another satisfied smirk and slid into the offered chair. She sighed in content as she stretched her arms and bent her back like a cat. She leaned against her hand.

 “I’m Kim Hyoyeon,” she said looking at Sunny with her radiant heterochromatic eyes. She held out her hand to shake for good manners.

 “I’m Lee Sunny,” she replied, gingerly taking her hand and shook it.

 “Delighted to make your acquaintance.”

 Sunny widened her eyes in surprise. She looked so Korean, not really foreign. But by the way she acted and how she sounded, the look was a façade. Sunny would have laughed in she had not found herself looking into her eyes. The brown and hazel were practically burning with intensity. Her eyes even held a knowing look that no one else could posses. Hyoyeon’s eyes scanned every inch of her body, taking note, not missing a thing and probably not forgetting. She wore a silver pendant around her wrist: a full silver moon. It reminded her of the anonymous drawing.

 She thrummed her fingers casually on the desk. “So,” she said. “Any thoughts?”

 Sunny stared, then blinked.

 Hyoyeon raised a brow. “For the story, or poem if you’d like,” she reminded.

 “You start,” Sunny replied. “I’m still thinking.”

 “Very well,” she said. “Any preference for a particular setting? Rain forests or bright meadows? Anything like that?” She laughed and short, breathy laugh. “I’m more into lighthouses and houses on hills.”

 “Why is that?” Sunny asked curiously.

 “To be dark and murky is my thing,” Hyoyeon said, flashing the smirk.

 Hyoyeon’s smirk suddenly disappeared and her head shot to the side looking at someone. Two other girls were whispering to each other and pointing at the both of them. The girls stopped when they caught sight of Hyoyeon’s eyes pointing at them. Hyoyeon gave a smile and twiddled her fingers at them. They slowly waved back, then ducked their heads and went back to work. Hyoyeon looked at Sunny again.

 “So, the theme is love,” she resumed.

 “What?” Sunny asked stupidly.

 “For our poem.” She slid her gaze over her. “Did you forget already?”

 “I was just distracted.”

 “Of what?” she pointed behind her. “Of the starring girls?” she asked slyly.

 “No!” Sunny said a little too quickly.

 “I’m just trying to get everyone off my back,” she said, her face suddenly very open and honest. “It’s kinda tough being the new kid, and all.”

 Sunny suddenly felt a pang of sympathy for her. “I’m sure you’ll make friends quickly,” she said. “There are those people who are welcoming. And of course, I’m here if you need someone.”

 Her lip curled up into a smile. “Thank you, Sunny. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.”

 They considered ideas in silence for a few moments until Hyoyeon spoke again. “So what do you do for fun around here?”

 “Most of us just hang out with friends, eat around, go to the beach, and stuff like that,” Sunny replied.

 “No. I meant what do you do for fun?”

 “Oh.” Sunny paused. “I actually spend most of my time with my family, my cousin and his girlfriend, and my friends. . .” the word disappeared and trailed off into the air as Sunny said it. Hyoyeon raised her brows.

 “You said friends?” she asked.

 Sunny shrugged. “Yeah. I didn’t mean to say that though. Because my old friends are kind of. . .”

 Hyoyeon saw her look and answered, “Gone? Moved away?”

 “Yeah.”

 Hyoyeon frowned. “Well, you don’t seem so serene about it. Sure your going to get upset, but weren’t you the last thing they say when they left?”

 Sunny shook her head. “I’m not sure. That last time I saw them was during a dinner. After that I never saw them again. They didn’t even say goodbye.”

 “That’s not so wholesome.” Hyoyeon said gruffly.

 “I know.” Sunny said.

 She shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

 “How is it here? Did you just move here?” Hyoyeon asked finally.

 “Actually no. Twelve months ago at the most. This is a nice place to live and everyone is so genuine,” Sunny said, “but someone like you might find it boring.”

 “Don’t really think so,” Hyoyeon said, staring at her. “Your actually nice and genuine yourself. I sense a bright aura around you.” she smiled a sickly smile. “I like that.”

 The bell rang, and Sunny moved slowly to collect her books.

 “See you soon, Sunny,” said Hyoyeon. “Perhaps we’ll work better next time.”

 Sunny quickly caught up with Hee-su and Hyun-Woo at the lockers. For some reason she felt a little unsettled and wanted nothing more than to just go home. As Hee-su was putting books away, Sunny hurried up and hugged her from behind.

 “Whoa,” she said. “Happy to see you too. You okay?”

 “Yes,” Sunny said, stepping away from her. “Just felt like hugging somebody.”

 Hee-su chuckled. “Okay. Whatever you say. Come on guys, let’s get of here. We’re walking today.”

 They made their way through the parking lot together. Hee-su had said she needed gas for her car, so she just left it to her dad to fill up. They had to walk together for that day. It was for some time then, Hee-su and Hyun-Woo let Sunny drive with them, but sometimes she would rather walk by herself. The three walked through the big and spacey side of the neighborhood until they reached right near the beach, and was just passing by the church. The three had no warning of what happened next. As Hyun-Woo and Hee-su were talking about what happened in the hall, and how it was mainly Hyun-Woo’s fault, a shiny black motorcycle shot out from nowhere in between the group. Sunny only skidded in her spot catching herself, while Hyun-Woo and Hee-su fell to the side with Hyun-Woo shielding her. A cloud of exhaust slowly disappeared as it reveal the motorcycle and it’s rider had stopped just 50 feet away from them. The person wore a black leather jacket, green pants, and a helmet over her face. She had long blonde hair, and a pink bow was tied to her tattooed arm. Hyoyeon. She waved at Sunny, twiddling her fingers. Sunny slowly waved back.
 Sunny heard the faint sound of giggling as Hyoyeon revered the motorcycle and rode away from them.

 Hyun-Woo and Hee-su got up from the ground and dusted themselves off.

 “What in the hell was that?” Hyun-Woo fumed. “What an idiot! Didn’t she even see us in front of her?”
 Hyun-Woo pointed at Sunny. “And what was that about?”

 “What?” Sunny asked.

 “With the waving. Did you know her? Who was she?” he asked frantically.

 “Um, I think that was the new student, Kim Hyoyeon. She’s my partner in literature.”

 Hee-su walked up next to Hyun-Woo. She looked so different. Her skin was pale, she had goose bumps and was shivering despite the weather. Her pupils were dilated and her hairs were standing on end. Her hand was gripping tightly at her left arm
 Hyun-Woo rubbed her arms. “Hon, what’s the matter?”

 “The aura,” Hee-su said quietly. “Her aura touched me. I-it was cold.”

 Sunny walked forward. “Hee-su, tell me what’s the matter.”

 A tear fell from Hee-su’s eye as she slowly removed her hand. It revealed a long and deep scar that was dripping wildly with blood. But Hee-su’s blood looked so much different. It was just red, and an even darker red that almost appeared black in the shadows. Hyun-Woo widened his eyes. Sunny gasped.

 Hee-su sniffed, and another tear fell. “She’s dangerous you guys. This shouldn’t have happened.”

 Hyun-Woo started to hold Hee-su. Using one hand he ripped a piece of his shirt and set it on Hee-su’s injury.
 “You mustn’t tell anyone about this. Anyone.” Hee-su wept in Hyun-Woo’s shirt.

 “Why, Hee-su?” Sunny asked. Looking at Hee-su frozen face, the tears, the paleness, it made Sunny think of her at the dinner. Her pale and helpless expression, and the coldness of Bom’s grip. This was serious. And this is connected to those girls and the boys. It could have been Hyoyeon. It was rather Hee-su.

 “Because,” Hee-su replied. “It could bring danger. This whole thing is between us. Understand?” Hyun-Woo and Sunny considered this before nodding in agreement. The group spent fifteen more minutes in that spot, calming down the blood on Hee-su’s injury. Hyun-Woo said as soon as they got home, she would need to hurry to the bathroom and take out the first aid kit. They hurried on home and was greeted with a smile from Lynn.

 “What’s up guys?”

 “Hey, miss Lynn. Excuse me for a moment,” Hee-su hurried past Lynn, Hyun-Woo following behind and they bolted upstairs to the bathroom.

 Lynn pointed behind her. “Anything urgent?”

 Sunny shook her head. “I don’t know. Must be some work they need to do.”

 She stepped aside to walk pass Lynn.
 “I made lemonade,” Lynn said as she closed the front door. Sunny stopped to take a cup of lemonade with a colorful tiny umbrella. As Sunny was about to walk upstairs, Lynn called her back. “Wait,”

 Lynn walked up to her, giving a domestic smile. “I was thinking about you all week and last, and I have come to a conclusion about your sad situation.”

 Sunny sighed. “Mom, please,”

 “No no, hear me out. Let me show you, it’s up in your room.”
 Lynn followed behind Sunny as they headed up the stairs to her room. They got to her door. Sunny stopped as she heard some rustling inside and some panting.

 “Mom,” Sunny warned.

 Lynn gestured to the door. Sunny tentively opened the door, and had to drop her glass of lemonade as a big and fluffy white dog ran up to her arms. Sunny yelped as she fell to her knees and the dog started to her face.

 “Surprise!” Lynn yelled.

 Sunny giggled as she softly pushed the dog’s face away from hers.

 “Where did you get her?” Sunny asked.

 “It’s a he. And I got him from an old friend about to move to a retirement home. They don’t allow dogs. She gave him to us for free. His name is Poppy, and he’s ten years old.

 Poppy Sunny’s face. “More like fifteen. Thank you, mom!” Sunny got up from the floor and tightly hugged Lynn that could have turned her into a crushed pulp.

 Lynn patted her back. “Okay, okay. Now go to the bathroom and wipe the dog drool from your face.” Lynn patted away from the room.
 Sunny bent down and started to scratch Poppy’s head. She chuckled, “Wow. You’re a cute one.”

 Poppy barked up at her, as if replying to her words.
 “Maybe you could distract me. For a little while.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Image made from 
〔 ♡ // ❝ V E N U S ❞ 〕— { coming back;