chapter 9

Pretentious

“Hyung, what should we do?”

 

“Follow me.” I instructed before stood up and walked to the center of practice room where Sungyeol and Woohyun were still bickering over their theory while Hoya, Dongwoo and Sungjong were immersed in their own conversation, completely neglected the duo.

 

“It won’t make sense an anti fan would go this far just because they hate him.”

 

“Don’t you ever hear what happened to Yunho Sunbaenim. His anti had tried to poison him before.”

 

They were so into their fight that they didn’t budge even after me with no guilty whatsoever nudge them hard on the waist. I sighed then shook my head slowly, disbelief. Their argument was so pointless but they treated it like it was the biggest issue ever. I didn’t plan this but I guess drastic times called for drastic measures.

 

“I saw who did it?” I announced, shocking all the members including Sungjong.

 

“Really hyung, who is it?” Sungjong was the first one to ask. I was taken aback by his facial expression. It was full of curiosity with no trace of guilty or scared written in his face. For a second I doubted myself, maybe I was wrong but when the thought register in my mind, I’m terrified at how easily he can led me to believe him. I shook my mind to clear my thought. The members stared at me with a question looks but shrugged it as they were more interested about this mystery guy than their leader weird’s behavior. Typical them.

 

“Yeah, who is he?”

 

“How you see it?”

 

“Why you don’t tell us?”

 

“Why you didn’t bring me together?”

 

I was bombarded with questions but I ignored it. My attention was on Sungjong. I want to see if he still can keep that poker face of him after hearing my next words.

 

“He wore a black hoody and a baseball cap.” I casually said with Myungsoo nodded agreeing beside. I waited for his eyes to get wider; his mouth to open wide, anything that can tell me he was surprised with my words. But none of that happened. He was still with his poker face, though I swear I saw a sly smile coming through.

 

“Really. Cool!” Sungjong beam while clapping his hands together, totally excited. Okay, now I’m confused. I thought he would be freaked out if he knew I already figure out his identity but he shown the opposite. Is this just acted to deflect me?

 

Seeing I didn’t utter another words, Myungsoo took charge and explained the whole scenario.

 

“We were there, in the same building with the shooter when the incident took place. We were in the tenth floor when the shot blasted. It was a chaos. Everyone was screaming and I saw Daesung hyung lying on the stage while the paramedic tried to save him.” Myungsoo summarized.

 

“So, how you saw him?” Hoya asked while began to shift closer. The others followed behind. By now everyone’s attention were on Myungsoo who was playing with water bottle held in his hands, an action he done unconsciously when he was nervous or trying to remember something.

 

“Who? The shooter? Well, we saw him at the front door of XXX building and we kind of followed him since then.” Myungsoo looked at me for confirmation which I returned with a nodded, agree with his every word.

 

“But you say you were at the tenth floor when the shot happened. As far I know the shooter shot from rooftop, right?” Dongwoo questioned.

 

“Yes, we kind of lost him at the elevator but we know he stopped at the tenth floor. We’re about to heading the rooftop when the shot happened.”

 

“If you’re not really seen him shoot, then how come you can be sure he was the shooter.” Sungyeol raised his brow. There was a hint of doubt on his voice; something that I feared but know would ensue.

 

“Well, he fit the profile. And the fact he tried to hide his face by wearing a cap is suspicious enough for me. ” I reason. I know I was correct and I would not let the others make me think otherwise.

 

“Maybe he wanted to be a fashionista.” Woohyun pointed out. And I can’t help but smacked his head, hard. Out of all the possibility, he chose that.

 

“Hyung, that’s hurt.” Woohyun whine like a child. In any other occasion, I would just laughed at his childish antic but today I felt like to punched him straight on the face and I voiced it out loud which receive a dramatic gasp from the latter. I would ready to smack him for a second time if it not for Sungyeol’s word that stopped me.

 

“Really, you think that. No one as crazy as you are, hyung.” Sungyeol interjected. I mouthed thanks to him. At least someone agree with me but unfortunately his remark halted the topic from being discussed further.

 

“Yah, don’t called me crazy.” And the topic was forgotten as Sungyeol and Woohyun once again began their bickering. I sighed.

 

As I felt a nudge on my waist, I cocked my head to the side and my eyes met Myungsoo’s.

 

“What now, hyung?”

 

“I don’t know.” I sighed for an umpteenth time today as I pinched my forehead, this whole situation making me headache. “But at least he knew we know. Just pray that it will stop him.” I said, tried to be positive and once again my eyes landed on the maknae who was busy watching Woohyun and Sungyeo’s fought with amused grin plaster on his face. He looked innocent.

 

“What are you hiding, Sungjong?”

 

*****************

 

The next day…

 

No one pov

 

“Why we were here again?” donghae asked frustrated. He was being dragged from his office unwillingly by Heechul who insisted that they should take a rest from all the works, although he did nothing to help and somehow they ended here.

 

“To give respect.” Heechul said nonchalant.

 

They were now in Daesung’s funeral. It was a closed funeral which means only close friends and family were allowed to attend the funeral. How can they enter when it mean only for a close friends? Blame it on Heechul. He blackmailed the guard to let us joining the funeral if he wanted to keep the job. Turned out the guard was an ex-prisoner who was caught by Heechul few years ago. How sorry he felt for that poor guy? He didn’t understand why they should attend a funeral, uninvited less to say when they still had two murderous cases to be solved.

 

When he asked Heechul, he just said that he had a feeling that they would find the suspect in here. Donghae don’t know how Heechul’s brain functioning. How in earth they would find the murderer here, in a funeral? But he have no more energy to fight with Heechul, instead he follow his partner. Only this time around, he let the latter have his way around.

 

They were walking aimlessly when Heechul make a sudden halted. He was stared at something or should Donghae say someone.

 

“Who were they?” heechul asked. His hands pointed at a group of young boys, dressed in black who were sitting together at a corner of the room, talking among each other.

 

“I don’t know you interested in idol. They were infinite, pretty popular this day.” There was a slight hint of amused in Donghae’s voice. Who know Heechul would know the fact that Heechul never care for other peoples than himself. So when he took interested on a bunch of strangers not to say an idol group, it was rather an unusual situation.

 

“Infinite.” He mutters before left.

 

“Where do you want to go?” Donghae shouted, a little too loud from what he intended, gaining him few stares from peoples surrounded but he didn’t care. He accelerated his pace to match with heechul.

 

“To introduce myself, of course.” Heechul replied like it was the most obvious thing to say.

 

“Are you crazy?” Donghae asked prior grabbed Heechul’s shoulder to stopped him but the latter didn’t budge. He wards Donghae’s hand and continued to walk until they were finally in front of Infinite who were stopped whatever they did as soon as they saw a presence of two strangers standing tall in front of them.

 

The boys obviously were shocked but hid it away as they politely greet the strangers.

 

“Yes?” 

 

“My name is heechul. I’m a fan of you.” He said while offering a handshake while Donghae in the back rolled his eyes. Feeling confused as ever the infinite take the handshake.

 

“Oh really. Thank you.” Sunggyu said.

 

He shook each one of the member while they were introduced themselves but when it was sungjong’s time, it was a little longer than the other. Heechul examine the younger, his gut telling him to take a better watch at Sungjong. He felt something off about this boy and Heechul instinct never wrong.

 

“Hmm, can you let go my hand.” Sungjong voiced, feeling discomforted.

 

“Oh I’m sorry. Your beauty captivated me.” Heechul said with cheeky grin and winked at Sungjong.

 

The infinite can’t help but chuckle at the comment. They never know someone can be more greasy than woohyun while Donghae can’t help but facepalm himself. It was so embarrassing that he just hope a black hole can appear and swallow him alive, let him disappear at this moment. On the other hand, Sungjong just felt like to punch this guy in front of him but he kept his smile.

 

“I’m sorry for my friend’s behavior. He forgot to take his medicine today. Anyway my name is Donghae.” He said introduce himself while held out his hand.

 

“Oh, it’s okay. It was pretty normal for us to hear someone said that to Sungjong. After all he was, no scratched that, he is pretty.” Hoya assured.

 

Sungjong’s face was red from embarrassed and anger.

 

“Hyung…” Sungjong whine. Gosh, how he hate people called him beautiful. Man is not supposed to be called pretty or beautiful but handsome and yet he never heard peoples called him that other than beautiful. He can accept if peoples wanted to call him cute but not beautiful. And here he is, a stranger just called him beautiful and he was so sure that his hyungs would about this later. They always do. And that was one of the reasons why he hated it so much.

 

“Boys, we need to go know. You have to do an interview that I forgot to cancel. Oh, you have company here. Nice meeting you, I’m Jungryul, Infinite’s manager.” Jungryul came out of nowhere. He was taking a phone call earlier which is why he left the boys alone.

 

“Nice meeting you, my name is Donghae and this is my friend Heechul.” Donghae offering a handshake which gladly taken by Jungryul who later held his hand out to Heechul, waiting for the man to take it but the said man just stayed static, didn’t bother to acknowledge or even gazed at Jungryul’s as his stare was on Sungjong the entire time. It creep some of the Infinite members by how intense he looked at their maknae but Sungjong look indifference.

 

Jungryul seeing the situation, dropped his hand and let out an awkward laughed before spoke, “I’m sorry but the boys need to go as they have a schedule to attend.”

 

“Ah, it’s okay. I’m understood. It’s a pleasure to meet you guys.” Donghae said polite. Infinite and Jungryul bowed slightly before taken their leave.

 

“Let’s go then.” Without waited for Donghae, Heechul began to walk off the place, taken the opposite of Infinite with one name scarred on his mind, ‘Lee Sungjong’.