chapter 7

Pretentious

 

“Who were the victims?” Heechul asked Donghae. The said man was busy examined the bodies.

 

“We can’t identify, there were no ID found with them or any sort of information, we need to wait for the DNA result.” Donghae informed. He sighed. Another murdered within a week. Even the previous murder still in impasse with no new information to direct the investigation and now added a new murder.

 

He looked at the profile of the victims, an old couple, a marriage couples perhaps. They were in their forty, cause of dead were from losing too much blood. The pairs were shot several times in leg, shoulder and body. Same as the first murder, this one also had numbers carve on the victim’s wrist, 59 and 60. From the condition of bodies, the time of death was estimated between 12 pm to 2 am. The victims were found by a passerby who took this route to her workplace.

 

“Then what we know?” Heechul asked again for the umpteenth time while an ice cream. That was the only thing he did since they arrived at the crime scene. While Donghae busy collecting the information, Heechul on the other hand, did nothing but stood still like a mannequin with bored written all over his face, didn’t bother to lend a hand and just let his partner did all the work.

 

“Nothing.” Donghae said with bitter.

 

“Nothing? Are you serious? I thought you are the best detective in your department but you can’t even found any clue.” Heechul said with a cynical tone trying to provoke his partner. He love to make Donghae mad, it was a pure entertainment for him to watched Donghae’s reaction.

 

“What? Who are you to say that to me when you done nothing to help the investigation?” Donghae spat, dealing with heechul always lead him to lost temper which was unusual since he was not the one who easily irascible.

 

“Easy tiger, I’m just kidding.”

 

Donghae take a deep breath, calming himself, before speak again, “Well, if you are a really good detective, you should have notice that this is not the real crime scene. This place was too clean to be one. I’m certain that the victims were brought here after they were killed, possibility because the suspects want to hide the evident or the real crime scene.”

 

“Then, there is probability that someone had witness the event.” Heechul concluded. This might help in their investigation.

 

“Yes, you right. Someone might saw something, so good luck.”

 

“For what?” Heechul asked, puzzled.

 

“To find the witness of course, I’m counting on you.” Donghae said squeeze his shoulder with evil smile plastered on his face. Time for revenge, definitely.

 

“Who said I’m the one who need to do that?” Heechul objected.

 

“I said so. Since you didn’t contribute anything for the case yet, how about you put your brain in used and try to find the witness. Besides, you are better detective than me, I’m sure you can find them in ease.” With that Donghae left, feeling satisfied. Heechul was dumbfounded, too shocked that he can’t utter any word to responded.

 

Feeling his soul finally back, he ran toward Donghae with a strong determine to make amend. He slung his hand on Donghae’s shoulder.

 

“Aish okay, I’m sorry. I’ll never let you do all the work alone again. Satisfied?” Donghae just stayed silent.

 

“You not really going to left me alone with this case right, I’m your partner.”

 

“Yah, answered me.”

 

From far away, someone see the whole event with a smirk on his face.

 

 

Sungjong POV

 

I just watched as the two detectives leaving the crime scene. I recognized one of them, Heechul if I’m not mistaken. He once had handled my case a few years back. We never met though, only me know him. 

 

“So, they gave the case to you again, Heechul-shii. Let’s the game begin, then.”  I said smiling. My eyes shift into the dead bodies who were cover with a white cloth. I watched with hatred as the bodies were lifted and carried into the ambulance.

 

‘Well, you deserved that you filthy human being, dare to act like my parents....’ I thought bitterly. They acted sweet to me; pretend we were closed when in reality we never met. They even dare to pouring false memories to my member and acted like it was real. It was an insulted to me, to my real parents that long gone and to the only thing they left me, memories - that I cherish the most. I can’t forgive them.

 

‘Yes, they deserve that.’

 

My phone rang. I looked at the caller ID, my lips curve up automatically. I’ve been waiting for this called.

 

“Hello, Kim Min Hyun-shii. I hope you have a good news for me.”

 

“Everything is ready. We can proceed to the next stage. I have prepared everything you asked and the information was already sent to you. The time, place, everything was in there; you just need to read and delete it once you finished. That’s all.” Kim Min Hyun hangs up. I was not surprised with his bluntness. After all, it’s only business between us.

 

“What taking you so long?” Hoya voiced from behind me. It seems I had gone too long that he need to came and fetch me. We had a photoshoot today and I excuse myself saying I wanted to get water when in reality I just wanted to know the identity of the detectives in charge in the case. 

 

“I was just distracted. Sorry hyung.”

 

“Hey, what happened there?” Hoya asked after realized there was a yellow crime scene tapes were put 20-feets away from us.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe a murder.” I said nonchalant.

 

“Really… Let’s go, the director already wait.”

 

“Okay.” I followed him but not before I take a last glance at the crime scene. A felt of achievement washed over me.

 

Later that night, I sat on my bed, in front my laptop. I was reading the information that Kim Min Hyun gave me. The next murder would take place on the next two days. I have no schedules besides the dance practice later on the evening. The target this time was Daesung, a singer/song-writer. But no one knew his dark side where he was known as the right hand of TOP, a wanted gang leader aka my boss. His death would turn the entertainment industry upside down for sure and I can’t waited for it to happened. Two more days and he would be death in my hands, I smiled unconsciously.

 

For the next two days, I’m busied myself with schedules and dance practice. But even that, I felt the time flew by so slowly making me restless. So, when the morning came after two painful days of waiting, I woke up with a big smile, nothing can ruined my mood today, that’s what I first thought until a certain member opted to spoil it. 

 

I was preparing myself to go out when suddenly Sunggyu being totally out of character decided to join me in my outing. Of course I rejected the idea but he was so persistence to accede until at some point I almost consented but my rational thankfully came prior I said yes. And it absolutely no help when Myungsoo joined the army, started nagging me to brought Sunggyu along which rather odd to me.

 

“What is wrong if I want to hang out with my dongsaeng? I just want to have a bonding time with you.” Sunggyu tried to convince me.

 

“Even that sounded weird to me and since when you wanted to have a bonding time with me, hyung. Are you sure you are not woke up in the wrong side of bed this morning because I think you are.” I comment while picked up my bag and slang it on my shoulder.

 

“Just let Sunggyu hyung go with you or if you are really not that comfortable, I can go with you instead.” Myungsoo offered.

 

“What is wrong with both of you?” I exploded. “I’m not going to take any of you.” I yelled out in frustration. I can saw a shocked expression on their faces but for once I don’t care. Taking advantage of their statue state, I quickly ran towards the front door and slipped into my shoes.

 

“I’m sorry, hyung. I’ll make it up to you later.” I said apologetically before left.

 

When I was out of building, I put my hood over my head, covering my face. I spotted a black car waiting for me. I quicken my pace and halted in front the car. I opened the backseat door and stepping inside.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m late.” I said as soon I enter.  There in the car were two men in black suit with a serious face waiting for me. Without answering, the man in the driver sit quickly started the engine and drove off. They only acted as my transportation. I opened my bag and pulled off a set of new attire consist of a black hoody with white t-shirt. I changed into them.

 

It was silence, no words exchanged between us along the way and I’m preferred it to stay like that. Without knowing we almost arrived at the destination place and from here I can already heard fans chanting, screaming for Daesung. How would they felt to see their idol died, right in front of their eyes? What could their reaction be? Even the thought, make me fascinated.

 

The car was parked far away from the fan meeting’s place to avoid any unwanted attention. Upon arriving, I reached my hand into the hoody’s zip and zipped it up. I put on a baseball cap and then put the hood over it. After complete my disguise, I instantly jumped out of the car and heading to the back of car. I opened the bonnet, laying in there was a guitar case. It was only a disguise to the real thing that placed inside it. With the guitar case slang in my right shoulder and my bag in the left, I proceed into a building not far away from me. I was instant greeted by one of worker there, I pulled the cap lower to hid my face while ignore the said person. I headed to the elevator and pushed the up button and waited patiently for the lift to came, fortunately it didn’t take long. I walked in as soon as the door opened and quickly closed the door, not wanted for the presence of other person. I pressed the highest level.

 

After a moment, the elevator give out a ‘ding’ sound indicating I arrived at the destined floor. I walked out of the elevator and proceed to the stair with one place in my mind, the rooftop. When I get there, I take a quick look at the surrounding, no one around. I put the guitar case on the ground and examine it briefly. On the side of case, there was a small lock with numbers on it, I enter the number code and opened the case. I smile upon my eyes reached the object held in it. It was a rifle, SDV Dragunov precisely, my favorite weapon for this purpose. I took it out and weight it, not too heavy in my opinion. With SDV Dragunov in my hand, I walked into the edge and set up the rifle. Everything was ready.

 

The fan meeting was held in front one of the most famous mall in Seoul. It was supposed to start at around 12 pm. I looked at the watch on my wrist, it shown 11.30 am, I still had a plenty of time before the event started. My eyes started to roaming around at the group of fans who screaming like crazy, can’t blame them though, afterall not everyone can stayed still when they know their idol was only a few feet away from them. My eyes fall at one figure; Daesung, he wore a black V t-shirt with black and white checkered skinny-jeans and a dark jacket to complete the attire. His dark brown hair was styled in a nice way. He was talking with one of the staff.

 

It was now 30 minutes past 12, I was ready in my position. I adjusted the position of the tip of rifle. Using a telescope that attached together with the rifle as a guide, I aim my SDV to Daesung, ready to shot. I was aiming his heart, once I was ready, I pulled the trigger and shot. The next thing I knew everyone started to scream and ran for their lives. Only one shot was enough to cause this chaos.

 

‘Pathetic.’ I thought.

 

I didn’t wait any longer, once I finished my job, I started to pack my things and ran away. I can’t afford anyone to spot me here. Luckily, all the escape routes were clear, aid me to exit the building without much trouble.

 

Once I was out, I had a clear view of the situation. It was still a chaos but much control – thanks to the police officer who arrived at the scene rather faster than usual. I look further. And there laying on the stage was Daesung with paramedics surround him, tried to keeping him alive. He would not survive. I smirked. My job was done.

 

I fished out my phone and dialled a certain number before positioned it to my ear.

 

“Everything done.” I said before pressed the 'End call' button.

 

I heading back to the car, jumped inside and sat quietly. The car move, left the place. I changed back my clothes.

 

“Stop here.” I ordered. The car stopped in front of a cafe.

 

“Dispose this.” I said while handing the clothes I wore in the mission, then get off the car. I peeped at the time, it was still early. So, I decided to enjoy my day off by roaming around the town.