chapter 6

Pretentious

 

We just finished our performance here in Gwangju and now waiting for Sungjong in the backstage. He was going to fetch his parents. I was nervous since it will be the first time I met them.  From a far I can see Sungjong walked with an old couple who I assumed his parents. They look not that much older, maybe in their forty. His mother seemed like a traditional Korean mother with a darker hair and a slightly chubby body while his father has this serious face with a visible age lines. He was not much taller than Sungjong and unlike his mother, his father was rather thin.

 

“Hey guys, met my mom and dad.” Sungjong said as soon as he reached us.

 

“Hello, we are infinite.” We politely bowed at his parents, they gave a warm smile which we gladly returned. Then, we introduced ourselves.

 

“My name is Kim Sungkyu and I’m the leader,” I said.

 

“My name is Jang Dongwoo and I’m the main rapper.”

 

“My name is Nam Woohyun and I’m the main vocal.”

 

“My name is Lee Howon but you can call me Hoya and I’m the main dancer.”

 

“My name is Lee Sungyeol and I’m the vocal.”

 

“My name is Kim Myungsoo. Nice meeting you.”

 

“Hello, my name is Lee Sun Gyun and this is my wife. Thank you for taking a good care of my son, I hope he didn’t give too much trouble to you guys.”

 

“Dad….” Sungjong whined which gave us laughter.

 

“Aww our cute maknae,” Dongwoo said while pat Sungjong’s head much to his dismay.

 

“Don’t worry sir, he didn’t give trouble, instead we are the one who always gave him trouble and order him around and I’m sorry about that.” I apologized in advance, as a precaution. Who know what Sungjong told his parents about us, he might badmouth us as far we concern.

 

“It’s okay, we understand. Albeit Sungjong always complain when you guys order him around. Mom, Sunggyu hyung asked me to do this, I hate it.” Mrs. Lee said while stomping her leg, tried to imitate Sungjong. We laughed hard at that, his mom sure has a good sense of humor.

 

“I almost forgot, we want to take Sungjong to a dinner after this and we like to invite all of you to join us. I know one good restaurant around here, their foods were very good, and the place was not far from here, about 15 minutes drive. What do you guys think?” Mr. Lee asked, inviting us.

 

I looked at the members, asking for their opinion.

 

“Free food, of course we’ll join.”  Then, it’s all decided. We took a separated transport where I, Myungsoo and Sungjong rode with Sungjong’s parent while the others including manager hyung rode the company’s van. I really had a good time being together with Sungjong’s parents. They were friendly and funny, making me comfortable to be around them. Mr. Lee might seem as a serious person but he never failed to make us cracked with every story he narrate, even Myungsoo whom always shown an expressionless face can’t help but burst into a fit of laughter. I think the only one who didn’t enjoy this rode would be Sungjong, he was sour in the entire journey especially when his mother started the story about Sungjong’s childhood. I didn’t think he was fond with the idea his mother exposed all his embarrassing moment when he was still child.

 

When we arrived, Sungjong asked us to enter first as he has something to discuss with his parents, something private as he put. I didn’t bother to interrogate more, feeling that it will be a family matter, lead the other members into the restaurant. The restaurant was fancy with an expensive decoration embellish it, make us stared in awe but at the same time lost. I didn’t know what to do considering this would be the first time I set a foot at a fancy restaurant. Everything was unfamiliar.

 

We were sat there for a good 5 minutes before a young handsome waiter approached us prior offered to take us to an empty table. We simply followed him to a spacious table at the back of the restaurant. He handled us the menu, asking our order. I read the menu and the price beside it, I can felt my eyes enlarge if it possible, the foods were expensive. I make a mental note to never take the members to a fancy restaurant if I’m the one who pay.  Who knows what they will order. After much thinking, I settled with spaghetti since the restaurant only offered western food.

 

Only after we finished ordering that Sungjong and his parents came joining us. After 10 minutes or so, the food arrived and we gladly dig on the foods while talking. I asking Mr. Lee to repeated the story he told in the car to others. He was hesitated and looked unwilling but continued anyway. The enthusiasm his one had already gone, he looked afraid to told the same story again and sometime I noticed that his eyes would travelled into Sungjong as if waited for Sungjong to stopped him but the latter looked indifferent. I’m also noticed that Mr. Lee had left some of the detail or even changing some part. I looked at Myungsoo, even he aware that but acted oblivion. After finished the story, once again Mr. Lee looked at Sungjong.

 

After that, Mr. and Mrs. Lee would take turned to entertain us with their stories and every time they did, the same thing happened. They would glance at Sungjong while Sungjong acted nonchalant. Even the interaction between Sungjong and his parents became awkward, different from the time he introduced them to us where they looked comfortable with each other. But now when they spoke, they were too cautious with the words they used like they afraid it would offend the maknae and they can’t even make eye contact with him. This entire conversation disturb me, something was wrong, terribly wrong. I was deep in my thought when I felt a pair of hands nudging me, I looked at the person, it was Myungsoo.

 

“Hyung, don’t you think something was off between Sungjong and his parent,” Myungsoo whispered.

 

“You felt too. I thought I was the only one notice. Yes, something felt wrong but I can’t put what is it?”

 

“I don’t know why but I felt like his parents afraid of him. Something must happen at the car park.”

 

Now, I realized that Mr. and Mrs. Lee acted weird after the talked at the car park. But what is it? What they talk about?

 

After the dinner, we decide to heading back to Seoul.

 

“Hyung, can I stay a little bit longer? You know, not every day I can meet my parents, so can I?” Sungjong asked with his big brown eyes shone with hopeful, pleading. I was about to give in but then I noticed Mr. Lee was staring at me, he was anxious. He shakes his head a little and mouthed 'no'. I frown and looked at Myungsoo, apparently he saw that too.

 

“Just do it.” Myungsoo mouthed.

 

I was about to say no, but Manager Hyung beat me. Before I can say anything, manager hyung already gave his permission before urged Sungjong to promise that he will be back before midnight as Infinite still have schedule the next day.

 

“But how would you go back?” Hoya asked concerned.

 

“Well my parents can send me, right Dad?” Mr. Lee nodded albeit he looked reluctant. 

 

“Then everything settles. Take care, Sungjong.” Woohyun said, ruffled Sungjong’s hair. Sungjong pouted while fixing his hair, his mouth was rambling something about Woohyun ruined his hairstyle.

 

We said our goodbye. Before stepping inside the van, I took a last glance toward Sungjong. Sungjong was smiling but I felt something off with his smile, it looked scary. I shake my head vigorously to rid of that thought and quickly enter the van.

 

******************

 

The clock was now showing 1 am but Sungjong still didn’t returned yet. There was only me and Myungsoo left in the living room, watching some rerun program. Other members already drift into dreamland at their respective room. Too tired to stay awake.

 

I spun my head around when I heard the door opened revealing a tired Sungjong.

 

“Oh hyung, you not slept yet?” he said while taking off his jacket and left it on the floor.

 

“No, I waited for you.”

 

“Aww hyung, I didn’t know you love me that much. I love you too, hyung.” Sungjong said before hugged me.

 

“Yah, let go off me or you will be regret it later.” I said threaten him. He just laughed before release me. I glared at him.

 

“I’m sorry, hyung.” He said still laughing.

 

“I think I'm going to bed now, I’m so tired. Good night, hyung.” He said, walking to his room.

 

I took the jacket Sungjong left, ready to put it into a laundry basket when I noticed a stain at the jacket’s sleeve. I wonder what it was. It was hard to tell let alone notice since the jacket was in dark color. I brought it near to my nose, tried to smell it, blood. I was terrified.

 

I hurriedly take it to Myungsoo and asked him to take a look.

 

“Is that blood?” I asked wanted a confirmation. He smelt the cloth before nodded.

 

We exchanging glance before our stare falls on the sungjong’s door.

 

I didn’t know what to think or to do. Little did I know that this was only the beginning of our horror.

 

 

The next morning, in a distinct part of Seoul, two death bodies were found by a passerby.