chapter 17

Pretentious

Sungjong looked at the white powder in his grasped. A flash of memory of last night’s event flooded into his mind. The third murder, soon.  He sighed as he putted the powder in his closet, in between his folded clothes while praying no one found it.

 

He spun, looking for his cell phone when he heard it ringing non-stop. Someone had called him and it sounded urgent. After a few minutes of constant searching, he finally found the device beneath his pillow. He peeked at the caller ID. No name displayed but he recognized the number by heart. The Agency!

 

He sighed again, reluctant to answer the called. While he was still contemplated either to answer the called or not, the ring dead as the caller had end the called. He was too happy in thought of abandon his cell phone back to his original place, underneath his pillow when it rang again. He knew avoiding this would means troubled to him, so with a heavy heart he answered the called.

 

A deep voiced greet him, “I have a task for you.”

 

‘TOP.’

 

“What is it, hyung?”

 

“I know you will have a showcase in Japan in next few days so, I want you to accompany Taeyang to a business deal. The time and place, I will inform it later.”

 

“Is that all?” The conversation was kept short.

 

“I.... Yes.” The called end.

 

Sungjong looked at his device, hard. He can sense TOP was hesitated. Something bothering the latter but he was afraid to say it loud. Sungjong wonder what is it. A thought came to his mind.

 

‘Not that. It can’t be that. Or is it?’

 

In hasty, he punched the number with nervousness rushing through his membrane making his hands shaky and causing him a few trials before he can put the right number. He knew it coming but it wasn’t supposed this fast. He cursed under his breath when the line engaged. Restraining himself from threw the phone into wall, he tried again. It took a few times trying and cursing before the called connected.

 

“Why so difficult to call you?” He yelled.

 

“Sorry I was...”

 

“Just forget it. I want to change the plan.” He cut. He wasn’t in the mood to hear any ridiculous excused when the time was ticking, screaming at him to hasten the plan. TOP had suspicious now and it wasn’t long before he caught up with his betrayal.

 

“Okay, okay calmed down. When you want to meet?” The voice asked, slightly amused.

 

Sungjong knew he didn’t have any leisure times left since they store it with practices as the showcase just around the corner.

 

“I try to sneak out tonight.” He decided

 

“Then, we meet later.”

 

Sungjong sighed.

 

 

‘When will this end?’

 

*************

TOP stared at the phone in his hand. With a growled, he smashed the phone into wall and watched as the device broke into pieces. Even by done that didn’t satisfy his anger as he inwardly cursing himself for being a coward. He had practice the question million times but when the time came for him to deliver it to the younger, the words stuck.

 

“He would be your weakness.” Hongbae once shouted but he didn’t take the words seriously as it came from a jealous man. But now, he saw the words came true. His love for Sungjong make him became irrational and blind sometimes. He glanced at the file on his table, a present from Hongbae before he stormed out of office, fury. And since then no words were heard from the latter. He understood that Hongbae need time and space to cool down his tempered and that was what he gave. He hoped the latter would be back soon.

 

His hand grabbed the file and opened it as his eyes travelled into the familiar words, line by line he read but the truth never change, it was still there, mocking him. Frustrated washed over him as he threw the file back into his table with a name carved into his mind.

 

 

‘Jung Sungha.’

 

**************

Sungjong glanced at the clock hanging on the wall; it was 12 in the midnight. The time for meeting was nearing but the practice didn’t seem to end.

 

“Sungjong, pay attention.” Yelled Sunggyu from his place as sungjong stumbled on his move, again

 

“Sorry, hyung.”

 

Today is definitely not my day.’ Sungjong thought. Since the first hour they practice till now, he kept making mistake. It just that his body refused to move like he wanted whereas his mind occupied with various thoughts and worries, thus reflecting on his dance step as he kept stumbling. They ran through "Be Mine" again since it would be one of the songs they would perform on the showcase.

 

This time, his timing was slower than other. Sungjong tried to match up his timing with other but instead he ran straight to Sungyeol when they were about to change place after the first chorus where Sungyeol has to come in front as it was his part. He fall first, the impact hurt him but he shrugged it as he quickly stood up and went to Sungyeol to help the latter while apologize frantically.

 

“I’m sorry, hyung. Really, really sorry. Do you hurt anywhere?” Sungjong extended his hand, helping his hyung stand.

 

“Yah, Lee Sungjong.” The furious Sunggyu shouted. The leader was now standing in front of Sungjong with hands on his hips, glaring at the poor maknae who eyes downcast, feeling ashamed.

 

“What are you thinking? Our performances only few days away but you kept messing up. Everyone is tired, Sungjong, so please... please don’t be a burden.” The words felt like a volcano to Sungjong, it burned his pride and stung his heart but he kept his poker face while his eyes never left the floor. For once, he thought the floor looked better than the angry and maybe tired face of his hyungs.

 

After a few moments Sunggyu announced, “I think we stop the practice here but Sungjong, you have to stay practicing your part. I don’t want the same mistake happen tomorrow, understand.” Sunggyu said, firm. Sungjong can only watch his hyungs running around the room with joy, grabbing all the things before walked away leaving him alone with ‘Be Mine’ blasting loudly to accompany his lonely heart, well that was too exaggerate. But still they left him without second thought or glance, not even a sympathetic or teasing words like usual. 

 

“I guess they still up with ‘no talking or staring at Sungjong’ campaign.” He said, sarcasm in his tone. It’s been two days since they declare cold treatment toward him. The maknae was shoved away in too many occasions by the members that he decided to be a loner in the group, saving his pride from being shattered by his hyung is his priority and his main objective now. So, whereas his hyungs still ignored him, Sungjong did the same. He won’t do any physical contact or interaction with them unless he was told to do so or situation makes him like what happened earlier and this lack of communication drove his mind to another thing that he refused to remember which remind him of his meeting tonight.

 

He glanced at the clock again, 1 am. Oh no, he was late. As if on cue, his phone started to ring. Sungjong sprang to his phone which he put inside the bag, ransacking its content; he found the devices jostled deep inside, being crumbled by his... toy?

 

“Wait, this is not my toy.” Sungjong stared at the flush toy that in instant he recognized belong to Dongwoo. As he dug deeper into his bag, more random things showed up, things that he didn’t even remembered placed in his bag like an electric shaver- why on Earth I put this inside my bag?, a book with title 100 Steps to Woo a Girl- okay, maybe I can read this later, and a giant ball of a... thread- why I didn’t even surprised?, and a small bag full of medicines and vitamins before he finally reached his phone.

 

“Hello.”

 

“Where are you?” the caller asked impatient.   

 

“Sorry Victoria-shii. I will be there real soon.” Sungjong grabbed his bag, turned off the song and switches before headed outside.

 

another chapter 

hope you enjoy!!

feel free to comment and critic