chapter 15

Pretentious

 

Dongwoo tilted his head to the side. He was sure he got the right address.

 

“What do you mean weird?”

 

“You just come here, hyung.” Dongwoo proceed to give Sunggyu and Sungyeol the direction to the address. He waited with patience for their arrival. It didn’t take that long for both of them to arrive as they were nearby.

 

“Are sure this is the right place?”Sunggyeol asked as soon as he took a glimpsed at the said house. It looked like an abandon house with the grass growth long and moss covered half of the building. The plants were dead from lack of care, he guessed.

 

“Of course.” Dongwoo said, a bit offense from the lack of trust the younger gave to him.

 

Sunggyu took the piece of paper and read the address that wrote with a tidy handwriting of their CEO. “Yes, you’re right. This is the place.”

 

“Hyung, how about you gave a called to CEO-nim. Maybe he messed up the address.” Sungyeol suggested.

 

Taking the advice, Sunggyu fished out his phone from the pocket and proceed to dial the number. Soon, the warm voice of their CEO was heard at the end of line.

 

As they waited for their beloved leader to finish the called, Sungyeol and Dongwoo immersed in their own conversation. The topic circle around the event happened lately. It was bizarre and to be honest, none of them had believe it hundred percent. Faced it, Sungjong as a killer, an assassin – even in their wildest dream, they couldn’t imagine it. The only reason they tolerate with this craziness was the thought of getting a fun adventure to colour their almost monotone life.

 

 

“Yes, I’m understood. Thank you, hyungnim.” Sunggyu ended the conversation. He spun, facing the two who grinning like an idiot.

 

“So, how is it?”

 

“Unfortunately the address was correct.” Sunggyu reported.

 

“I don’t know Sungjong live a frugal life.” Sungyeol joked.

 

Ignored the joke, Sunggyu giving his thought, “Since we have came this far, I think it was stupid to just go home empty handed.”

 

Looking at how grave their leader was, Sungyeol swept away all the playfulness and compose himself to be more serious. “Your suggestion?”

 

“I suggest we ask around about the house. Since Sungjong had written the address as his, it probably had a connection with him in some way.”

 

“I guess. So, where we start?” Dongwoo, same with Sungyeol became serious. His eyes turned into a hawk, finding for a possible candidate and soon it landed on a figure. With a grinning, he pointed at an old lady, no older than 50’s stood not far from them. “How about that lady?”

 

As if they had a silent agreement, the three of them walked together to a stall where the said lady stayed still, fanning herself.

 

 

Little did they know that this discovery will bring them one step closer to the secret...

 

And one step farther from...

 

 

... their beloved maknae.


************************************

 

Immersed in his work, Donghae didn’t realize that Heechul was standing behind him with a mischievous smile.

 

“Yah!!!” Heechul shouted near his poor partner’s ear, making the latter jumped in his seat while closed both of his ears.

 

Donghae glared at the older but soon his face softens.

 

“You feel alright?” He asked as he watched Heechul grabbed the chair to balance himself after nearly fall because of laughing too hard.

 

“Since when I didn’t?” Heechul said, furrowed his eyebrows.

 

Seems like Heechul didn’t wanted to talk about what happened earlier.

 

“Yeah, what I’m thinking. Why are you still here anyway? It’s late already.” Donghae glance at the clock display at his laptop. It was near 10 pm.

 

“What about you? Why are you still here? Watching ?” Heechul peeked at the laptop before back away as it full with words and more words...

 

“Ah... just a boring document and here I am thinking you’re watching . You’re so dull.” Heechul said almost complaint.

 

Donghae rolled his eyes but deep inside, he was relieved. Heechul was backed to his real self.

 

“How can you say your master dull, slave?”Donghae said playful.

 

“Crap! You still remember that?”

 

“Of course I am. It’s not every day the Great Heechul can be my slave.” Donghae said matter-of-fact.

 

“You really dull. By the way, what you read?”

 

“About one of the victims, Kim Shiwon. You know, his case was difference from others.”

 

“Kim Shiwon...” Heechul tried to recall the name. “Oh that Kim Shiwon.” He was murdered in his house; it was nothing out of ordinary. What make it difference was the effort that the killer put to make it looked like it was done by a robber. The suspect managed to make the place appeared like a standard robbery scene. However, as there was none of valuable items in the house were stolen besides the usual numbers carved on the victim’s wrist, the police rejected the theory.

 

“What if the killer didn’t make the house looked like a robbery scene in purpose. What if he was trying to find something in that house; unintentionally makes the mess.” Donghae voice his doubt.

 

Heechul flicked Donghae’s forehead. “What’s that for?”

 

Donghae glared at the older as his hand rubbed the sore spot. “I just want to bring you back into Earth. You’re thinking too much.” Heechul said, feeling no guilty.

 

“Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. I found something interesting from my boring interview with a witness.” Heechul reported.

 

“What so interesting?” Donghae asked.

 

Heechul began to reminiscence the meeting he had that morning with a woman named Im Taehee.

 

Flashback

“I’m sorry I’m late. I got caught up in a meeting. It was impossible for me to leave as you know I was the director of the company.” Mrs. Im said with a fake laugh. She put her branded handbag on the table before taking a seat in front of Heechul.

 

‘Did I look like I care?’ Heechul holding himself from rolled his eyes at her, instead he gave a small smile.

 

“It’s okay. I didn’t waited that long.”

 

‘Yeah just about an hour.’ His conscience spoke. He was a punctual person. He hated to make others waiting and vice versa but this woman make him waited for about an hour.

 

“What do you want to order?” Heechul asked polite as he called the waitress. After they make order, Heechul brought the topic of the cold cases. Mrs. Im’ husband was one of the victims and coincidently Mrs. Im happened to be with him at the time of his death. Mr. Im was poisoned and from autopsy it was reveal cyanide was the agent. Mrs. Im became the prime suspect with strong motive. Inheritance. It was reveal that Mr. Im was supposed to meet his lawyer in the evening the day he died. The reason for the sudden request meeting was that Mr. Im wanted to remove Mrs. Im's name from his will. 

 

It was brought to light that Mrs. Im had an affair with one of the worker. However, the lack of evidence regarding the poison purchase make her unlikely suspect. The investigation then turned to their maid who responsible for Mr. Im's medicine. But even that turned to dead end. The breakthrough only happened two months later when Mrs. Im called the police about a package that arrived at her house addressing to Mr. Kim Heechul, detective of homicide department. Upon inspecting, a ring carving with number 15 was found inside. The ring fits his finger obviously custom made for him. With the ring was a  card written 'A little gift for my favorite investigator' typing in computer font. The case was then shove to him but no progress had been made like all the cases from that same killer. It driving him crazy to catch this sick bastard.

 

“My name is Heechul. I’m the police officer who responsible for your late husband’s case.” Heechul introduced himself.

 

“Oh...” Mrs. Im’s expression changed. She looked unhappy? Heechul unsure since it was gone as fast as it came.

 

“What is it about? Did you found who did it?”

 

“No, we didn’t. That’s why I’m here. I want to know if you had remembered anything from that day.”

 

“I don’t remember. It happened so long ago.” Mrs. Im said while batting her eyes. Heechul almost wanted to puke at the image.

 

“Can’t you recall anything suspicious at that time?”

 

“Nothing out of ordinary. I gave him medicine prepared by our maid like usual. Then he complaint he had difficulty to breath. I was gone to find help. When I returned he’s already dead. After that, I called the police.”

 

“How long you had gone?”

 

“Around 10 minutes. However, it was impossible for a person to break in our house. There was camera surveillance. If really there are persons who break in, she or he would be taped. But I was informed there were none. But I did remember I had met a young boy, not more than 15, wandering around my house the day before the accident.”

 

“You never mentioned this before?”

 

“Because I never saw him as the culprit. He was so young and thin.” She took a sipped of orange juice she order earlier.

 

“Do you remember how he looked like?”

 

“No, I can’t remember his face. But he did say something to me.”

 

“What?”

 

“Tomorrow gonna be rain. I should be prepared. It was weird because that day turned out to be a really hot day. It was expected in the middle of summer.” She said nonchalant. Heechul jerked at his head at the new info.

 

“Do you really can’t remember his face? How about his feature? It’s important for the case.” Heechul tried again, eagerness in his voice. He really hoped the woman in front of him can share something to help him find that boy.

 

“No.”

 

“Nothing. Your memory really .” Heechul said, harsh.

 

Mrs. Im can’t help but felt offended. “It happened four years ago. What do you aspect?” The words came harsher than she meant.

 

“If you had told me four years ago, then we don’t have to meet now.” Heechul retorted.

 

“It’s not my fault you didn’t asked.” All the sorry she felt earlier faded into thin air.

 

“What you think of me? A mind reader? How should I know?” Heechul barked.

 

“You know what, it was a mistake for me to come here today,” with that, Mrs. Im stood from her seat and walked away.

 

After a few steps she turned around, “no wonder my husband’s case never solve.” Then she left.

 

“YAH!!!”

 

End of flashback

 

 

“That woman, if I met her again, I will strangle her to death.” Donghae laughed at the angry Heechul.

 

“We need to find that boy.” Donghae said after he could abate his laughter.

 

Heechul nodded, agree with the latter.

 

 

However, as Donghae spun facing his computer back, Heechul let out a victorious smile. His plan worked.

 

sorry for lack of update... i know i'm a bad writer

but i will try my best to update more frequently

suggestion and critics are welcome 

ENJOY!!^^