chapter 18

Pretentious

 

Sungjong stayed closely behind Taeyang as the latter make a deal. The night sky of Tokyo became a witness of illegal trading between Taeyang and the Japanese dealer. The man came in prepared as he brought more than ten persons with him. Doubt obviously in his part when secret signal travelling around the group full with a bunch of Japanese who were mostly in their early 20’s, whispering in Japanese. Sungjong had a bad feeling about this.

 

“You bring the thing?” Taeyang asked in low voice, ringing dangerous.

 

“You bring the money?” The Japanese dealer, known as Mr. Tanaka didn’t waver. He was calmed with a small smile place in his ugly face and confident thick in his voice.

 

The deal from outside looked normal but Sungjong can felt a tense atmosphere built from both parties. He glances behind, signalling the five members from agency that they brought along as helper to be prepared. He can felt this deal would not be as smooth as he hopes, it would turn ugly.

 

“Show me the thing first.” Taeyang instructed. Trust was something not in his blood; that was the first thing Sungjong learnt about the man. The second was Taeyang hardly give his trust to anyone. He knew because even after few years Sungjong served with the agency, Taeyang and him, no trust developed between them.

 

The wind that night a bit harsh than usual as if it tried to warn them, but Sungjong stayed root in his place, determined plastered on his face because this would be his chance to proof his loyalty. His eyes graze the surrounding, absorbed every inch, every corner the port can offer as he continuously sketched an escaped route in his mind.  Despite the harsh wind blew from every corner, the sea was in complete opposite. It was calmed with no waves, the same calm surrounded the meeting but no one knew what would happen next, not even him.

 

“Okay.” The reply shot confused in Sungjong’s part. He watched as Mr. Tanaka instructed his man to bring the bag in front. Opened the zip, he showed the content of the bag. It was full with a pack of white powder, drug his mind told. Taeyang took one of the packs and by using a small knife, he sliced the plastic open before scooped the with his pinky finger. He tasted the powder before spitting it, then with a satisfied nodded he signal to bring the money.   

 

Mr. Tanaka’s face lit at the mentioned of money. He rubbed his hand together, eager was in his every moves. He ran his short fingers on the smooth surface of the paper called money, felt it. Smile never left his face.

 

“I trusted you with the number.” Mr. Tanaka said.

 

Everything seems perfect but the calm vanished when a loud bang was heard. Then everything turned hazy for Sungjong.

 

*****************************

“Is this the right place, sir?” A young man in his 20’s asked. He tightened his gripped on the gun while pray the vest was enough to evade from hit by stray bullets.

 

“Yes, we got this information from the Seoul Metropolitan Police agency.” He gave a soft smile, chuckle lightly to see how tense his subordinate was. “Just relax Kawamura. You’ll be okay.” He gave a small pat on the shoulder to encourage the man. He understood the tension Kawamura felt. This would be his first assignment, his first experience after few years of training, so the young man had every right to feel nervous.

 

“Thank you, sir.” Kawamura felt thankful for his leader’s understanding. More determined than ever, he averted his stare to the front again where a deal was place between a Korean gang and Tanaka, the famous drug supplier. The deal was rather smooth with nothing out of ordinary except the Tanaka’s men outnumber the Korean gang.

 

He saw his leader gave a signal for them to be ready as the deal seems almost finished. The Special Assault Team was given a short notice for the ambush, only a day before the deal took place. With a short amount of time, they came out with a plan, direct approved was chosen as the best combat strategy in this situation where the teams would divided into three. The first team would sneak into the ships that anchored along the port, taking the nearest ship possible. The second team where he belongs took the land approached as they surrounded the place while the third team was the snipping team. They were positioned in the highest place. Catching Tanaka was their first priority.

 

He held his breath as the loud bang echoed throughout the port followed by another shot seconds later turning the atmosphere into chaos.

 

**************************

Sungjong stared in nightmare as Taeyang’s once strong silhouette crouched on the floor, yelling in pain whilst his hand grabbed his shoulder that cover with blood. On the other side, Mr. Tanaka standing with a smile, his hand held the gun pointed toward Taeyang.

 

“What’s the meaning of this?” Taeyang growled. Biting inside his cheek, Taeyang shakily stand up as he stretched out his non-injured hand, pointed a gun at Mr. Tanaka.

 

“Game over!” Another shot was fire but Taeyang managed to dodge it. The shot trigger the next action where everyone emitted their own guns and shots were fire from everywhere. Sungjong crawled to hide behind his car. Taking a deep breath, he calmed himself and began participated as he fired a few shots, manage to shoot two persons down. They were in losing positions, he knew it as he saw Junhyung and Youngjae were lying unconscious, battling between live and death while Taeyang and Kibum were both injured and that left him with Yujin and Seyong. As if miracle happened, one by one of Mr. Tanaka’s men were shot.

 

Sungjong glanced everywhere to find the source of the sudden helped. From afar, he saw a group of men wearing black uniform approaching the place with rifle in hand. With much difficulty, he read the words wrote in their uniform, SAT. He hung his mouth opened as the words registered in his mind.

 

“, I need to leave this place fast.”

 

Fired a few more shots, Sungjong began retreated his form away from the fight scene. It was easy to say more than done, for one step he makes a few shots came in replace. An idea came in mind. Slowly, he opened the door car, just a little enough for his small figure to skip into. He held his breath as he tried to start the engine, praying that it would took only one try. Once the engine started, he shifted the gear smoothly before step on the gas, drove the car away from the place but not before stopped in front of Yujin and Seyong, yelling them to get into the car fast.

 

A few minutes stopped cause harm for Sungjong afterall. He felt a burned pain seared through his vein as his clothes was seeped with blood. Through the broken window, he saw SAT officer dangerously close. Ignore the pain Sungjong speeding the car once Yujin and Seyong step in. It didn’t stopped there however, from rear view mirror; he can saw clearly that SAT was chasing them behind.

 

“Shoot them.” Sungjong order both of them who obliged immediately.

 

Changing the gear, he speeded up the car.

 

It took a few turns and tricks before he can lose the SAT. After ten more minutes drive, Sungjong stopped the car at an empty road. He took a shaky breath, hand held on the bloody wound, putting a pressure on it. Taking his current condition, survive seem too far away as he had lost too much blood.  After few seconds, Sungjong opened the door and step out of the car. He was about to fall but Yujin caught him in time. His energy was drained while the pain didn’t seem to subside. Rejecting Yujin’s hand, Sungjong continued to walk away.

 

“Where are you going, Dark Angel-shii?” Yujin yelled, worry in his voice. “You have lost a lot of blood. You looked pale.” While he can’t saw the face of his comrade clearly, since the latter wore a mask hiding half of the face from other view but from the glimpse of it he can tell that the younger became paler as the time past.

 

“Don’t worry about me, keep going.”

 

“But...”

 

“No but. Just go, I can manage myself.” Although reluctant but Yujin followed the order. He drove away, leaving the mysterious assassin behind. From rear view mirror, he saw the figure slowly disappear into darkness.