Chapter Three

Over The Top

It’s as if we were in a movie filled with awesome and grandiose special effects as explosives went flashing into the air, gray smoke covering the twilight sky. The impact was so painful, even more painful than the last time. I recklessly fired my gun towards the enemies to fight but another bomb was dropped and it almost hit me. The impact was burning. My head felt light but my brain keeps on shouting two things: “Get up” and “Run”. But my body seemed not to know how to response right now. No longer I can feel anything but then I could sense that my body was moving away from my area. I could feel that someone is carrying me but I couldn’t see the person’s face very clearly because of the smog. When we were at somewhere safe, he put me down and we both catch our breath. As the noises from the explosions and gunshots were faintly heard, I leaned my body at the stable wall against me and saw this young man in front of me.

“Thanks”, I muttered.

“No problem”.

I could feel the blood flowing in my cheeks as shards from the metal shrapnel of those bombs got into my face but I couldn’t care less. I was worried on how Sunggyu, Woohyun, Dongwoo and others were doing right now. I was worried on this young guy in front of me, looking nervously at the surroundings. Although he might seem alert, I knew that he was new on this business.

“I haven’t seen you around here, who are you?” I furrowed my eyebrows, touching my bleeding cheeks and faced him.

“Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo”, he said. “I just arrived yesterday. How long have you been in it?” offering me his handkerchief to wipe the blood. I took it.

So, how long I have been in it? What a funny question! I’ve been battling for human rights for my entire life since I was then a journalist, but also because I think it has took us forever keeping ourselves alive in numerous battles we have encountered against with these people.

My battle started when I begin to swallow my fear and write about the unfair and inhumane practices of those people in power. I know this uprising of these people is not because of the people per se. It’s because of power. It’s because of politics.

It’s been almost midnight when we arrived at the headquarters. There have been commotions here and there as most of our members were shot and wounded. Luckily, no one’s dead. Sunggyu and Dongwoo was busy helping the wounded others while Woohyun was talking to his phone, requesting for some medical help. No one sees us entered the headquarters except for Hoya whom I think was waiting for me.