Lesson #2

A Little Lesson

You stare at the stranger I have just met 15 minutes ago. Chanyeol is grinning like a fool at you, as if he is waiting for some excited reaction from you.

               “Bring me home.” You sternly said, looking straight into his eyes. “I-I can’t be here!”

               Chanyeol ignores your words and pulls you to the full length glass window, “Look, isn’t it beautiful?” You feel his hot breath against your ear. Your tensed face slowly relaxes at the night view of Seoul, realizing how high the apartment was. The lights from the skyscrapers twinkle and reflect off the glass, as if this moment the stars are blinking to you.

               You reluctantly turn away from the beautiful sight and face Chanyeol. “I-It’s beautiful, but it’s your home, not mine.” You look down and take a deep breath, “Now please tell me, why did you bring me here? I saw what you did with my candle, a-and that guy, Kai, just brought us here.”

               Chanyeol watches you with a more solemn gaze. “I…know it sounds ridiculous, but… I’m not from planet Earth.” He pauses for a while. “Me and my 11 brothers are from a planet called EXO.”

               You nod your head slowly, waiting for him to continue.

               “On our planet, there is a tree of life. It is me and my brothers’ duty to protect it, however, it’s getting weaker and weaker everyday.”

               “And…what do I have to do with it?”

               “The tree has given some of its energy to the people on Earth. We call these people, our ‘counterparts’. The tree is only able to regain its energy if my brothers and I become one with our own counterpart.

               “Don’t tell me that I am…?” You trail off slowly.

               “Yes, you are the one for me.” Chanyeol says bluntly.

               A shade of rose appear on your cheeks to hear a guy say words to you like that. Although he does not know the suggested meaning before those words, it still made you a little nervous.

               “So if we become one, then you can leave me alone?” You ask.

               “Well…yeah, that’s what the Tree of Life says.”

               “And, how do we ‘become one’…?” You quote with your hands.

               Chanyeol starts fidgeting his fingers and looks down. “Well…I didn’t really understand the meaning at first. So, I looked it up in the dictionary…”

               You stare at him, waiting for him to finish.

               “It’s kind of a weird explanation…you know…that…” He scratches his head awkwardly.

               “No, I don’t know what ‘that’ is.” You state out clearly.

               “Like…that…” Chanyeol sways his body forward and back nervously.

               “Chanyeol, just say it.” You were obviously getting annoyed with the situation and wanted to go home. “Tell me and we’ll get it over with.”

               Chanyeol widens his eyes and blinks. “Really? Wow…I-I didn’t expect that…” He slouches and put his head at the same eye level as you. “Y-you sure?”

               You furrow your eyebrows, “Yes. I am positive.”

               Chanyeol starts giggling in a weird manner and tugs on his jacket sleeve. “Well, according to the book… when a boy and girl… has the urge to touch ea-“

               Oh god, is this what I think it is?  

“NO. I’m not going to do it.”

“Why not?” He asks innocently.

“Chanyeol…you…do those kind of things with someone you love.”

Chanyeol blinks at you like a lost puppy.

“You really don’t get it do you?”

“I-I’ll learn about it, for you! Please, just…don’t leave me alone on Earth. The tree said that you’re the only one I have here…”

Great, those eyes and that pout. I can’t believe I’m defenceless with him.

You bite your lip and stare at the floor. “Fine, but we won’t be doing ‘that’. We… can think of some other ways to help your planet.”

Chanyeol starts grinning again, “Oh of course! I saw that there were other ways to ‘become one’.”

“Then why didn’t you say those instead?”

“I forgot them, and that one sounded like the most interesting so…”

You can’t help but laugh at Chanyeol. He doesn’t seem as bad as your first impression of him. When he smiles, his eyes widen and give off a child-like aura, making you want to take care of this boy. And at least now it doesn’t take an hour to get to the campus, you can finally sleep without being afraid that a burglar may come in and attack you.

You snap yourself out of their thoughts when Chanyeol suddenly lifts and spin you in the air. He then slows down and gives you a peck on your forehead.

“Thank you for teaching me the lesson of love.” He chuckles in a much more sophisticated voice.

You gulp and stare at his neck in shock.

“N-no problem.”

 This is going to be a hard lesson to teach.