Lesson #9

A Little Lesson

              The egg cracks and sizzles on the hot pan.

              “Good morning!” A voice jumps behind and arms wrap tightly around your waist.

              “Good morning, Chanyeol.” You smile and turns your head slightly to see Chanyeol’s head lying on your shoulder. He grins at you and you feel his warm lips touching your cheek.

              Your heart quickens the beat immediately and heat rushes up to your cheeks.

              “Y-yah, I’m c-cooking here.” You manage to say out embarrassedly. Chanyeol puts his face against your neck and start swaying the both of you side to side.

              “You smell nice, _______.” He purrs in his low, morning voice.

              Is he seducing me? That’s a change from the Chanyeol I first met.

              “Yeah you better say that. If you said that I stink, somebody won’t be getting any breakfast today.” You reply. Chanyeol then stares at you as if he was shocked that you didn’t fall for his seduction. You laugh at his cute surprised expression. “Come on, go get changed. We have class today.”


              “Can’t you just skip class today and play with me?” Chanyeol holds your hands and swings them like a child.

              “Don’t you have class to go to too?” You ask, trying to hold back a smile. Chanyeol just looks so cute looking at you telling you not to leave him.

              “No, mine’s in the late afternoon till night.” He pouts.

              “How about this? You let me go to my class now, and I’ll go home and make your favourite steak for you?” You compromise, as if a child stood in front of you.

              Chanyeol takes his pinky out, “Promise?” You return with your pinky and nod your head. Chanyeol grins brightly and suddenly pecks on your cheek. “See you tonight” He laughs with his deep voice before walking away.

              “Mhm. Just friends.” A voice comments.

              You turn around and see Haeji leaning against the building wall, smirking.

              “Haeji!” You laugh.

              “You two are so cute, I want to hide in a corner and roll into a ball of loneliness.” She laughs as she hooks your arm.

              “Oh please, there are plenty of guys in the medical faculty that thinks you’re amazing, never afraid of the wounds and blood.” You state truthfully.

              “You aren’t so bad yourself either. It’s just that you don’t notice anyone else other than your dear boyfriend Chanyeol.” Haeji teases. You stay silent, blushing at her words. “This is the part where you suddenly hit my head and say ‘He’s not my boyfriend!’ you know?” Haeji laughs and imitates you in angry voice.

              You give Haeji a shy smile and look back down.

              A sneaky smile appears on Haeji’s face which slowly turns into an ecstatic grin, creepiness level almost comparable to Chanyeol’s.

              “OH MY GOSH, HE ASKED YOU OUT OFFICALLY RIGHT? RIGHT?” She squeals and tugs your arm, “Okay, you two are the like the cutest couple on campus. Screw you guys.” Haeji glares at you jokingly and laughs. “Congrats, my little _______is growing up.” She pulls you into a hug and forges a sniffle.

              Before you could say another word, the professor comes in. You and Haeji and the other girls stops talking and turn around to start the lesson.

              You take a big stretch as you exit the building. Haeji already left to go to her Kendo Club meeting. It was around 4:30 and the sun was starting to make its way down. As you pass by the parking lot, you see an old man struggling to pick his books up from the floor. You quickly run over to him and picked the textbooks up.

              “Oh thank you, young lady.” He looks at you with a smile. His hair was coloured with fine greys and wrinkles lined his features, giving you a warm family feeling.

              “You’re welcome.” You bow slightly and carry his books to the car. You take a scan of the titles and let out a breath.

              “Law…” You mumble.

              The old man laughs, “Yes, I’m the professor of Law and Arts. Are you a student of mine?”

              You look at the man and smile, “Oh no, a friend of mine is.”

              “Hmm, if you don’t mind, may I ask who?”

              “Kim…Jong-in?” You annunciate each word clearing, a weird feeling rolling off your tongue since you have never called Kai by his full name.

              The old man looks at you with slightly widened eyes, “Yes, of course I know him.” His smile disappearing. “A lost young man.” He mutters.

              “May I ask why?” You ask, shock at the professor’s reaction.

              “He came to class as a new transfer student. Smart boy, I must say. He picked up everything that the other students took half a year to understand. And when I mean by understand, it was only by the surface level for them.” He starts laughing, teasing his other students. “We had a debate during the class, although he doesn’t have the previous experiences, he was definitely a winner.” The old man beams like a proud father, “However, after that class, he didn’t show up in his classes anymore. And if he did, he would be sleeping in his seat without any participation.” He shakes his head and sighs, “If this keeps up, he is going to fail this course…I don’t want to see a talented boy go to waste like this.”

              You stare at the professor in shock, unable to take in what he just said. Kai? Skipping? When? How? Why? You feel the urge to find Kai right now and demand why he is behaving in such irresponsible ways. You and the Professor arrive to his car and you place his textbooks carefully on the passenger seat.

              “Thank you for helping me...” The old man trails off.

              “I’m sorry, excuse my rudeness. My name is _________.” You bow.

              “Nono, don’t worry. Thank you ________.” The professor chuckles and gets into his car. You stand on the side to wait for the professor to drive his car out. Before leaving, the window opens. The professor pops his head out, “As Jong in’s friend, please try to persuade him to start attending classes.” He smiles at you friendly.

              “Yes I will.” You make a final bow before you hear the sound of car tires driving away.

              Kai…why are you acting like this?