Lesson #17

A Little Lesson

              

              

               When people ask you how you were dealing with the breakup, you would just force a smile to show them that you were okay. In reality, you weren’t dealing with the painful emotions at all. Because all it took was for you to pack your life with things to do to numb the emotions. Sure, you are exhausted from your hectic schedule, but it was the only way you were able to respond to the break up.

               However, whenever you return home at the end of the day. You look at the night view of Seoul and can’t help but remember your first encounter with Chanyeol. Even saying his name makes your heart throb. You really weren’t sure whether you are actually adjusting life without him or escaping from reality. No doubt, there was still anticipation inside of you that he will enter through that door any moment to shower you with kisses and childish comments on how hungry he is and lonely that he wasn’t able to see you in his classes.

               “Ding dong.” As you walk to the door, the sounds of your slippers creating friction with the wooden floor fill the empty apartment with sound.

               “Surprise!” Kai flashes you an embarrassed smile while holding an manila colored paper box up.

               “Kim Jong in! What are you doing here?” You ask, a bit stunned but with an entertained smile on your face.

               Kai looks at you as if you were kidding with him. “________, don’t tell me…that you forgot today is Christmas Eve…”

               You let out a small laugh, scratching the back of your ear. “I’m so busy these days that I lost track of the holidays, huh?” You try to hide your embarrassment by changing the topic, “So, what’s in that box?” You allow Kai to walk through the door.

               “Christmas cake, of course!” He grins, “I heard from other people that humans eat something called Chocolate Log cake. I want you to try it first!”

               You follow him into the kitchen as he opens the box. “I see Jong in, I’m just a lab mouse to you, so much for our friendship.” You fake a sniffle and sat down, waiting the cake to be served.

               “You caught me.” Kai gives you his signature smirk as he places a plate in front of you.

               “Yah! Kim Jong in! You’re not supposed to say that!” You use your fork and point at him, “Now I’m going to eat all of your cake.” A funny sounding evil laughter escapes from your mouth. You freeze when you feel a pair of gentle eyes looking at you. Looking up, you find Kai smiling at you softly, making your cheeks to flush red. “W-what? Is there something on my face?”

               Kai’s bangs sway as he shakes his head, chuckling softly. “No, it’s just that I haven’t seen you laugh for so long.”

               You freeze for a moment then hide your hesitation by scoffing, “What? What are you talking about?” Of course you know what Kai was talking about, you just didn’t want to talk about it…not with him. It was an uncomfortable subject to touch on, especially with Jongin who you know have feelings for you.

               “I mean by a real laugh.” He eyes you playfully, “Ever since Chanyeo-”

               “Stop.” You squeak, “Stop, please.”

               “________, when are you going to allow yourself to live normally again?” Kai puts his plate of the chocolate cake down and walks towards you, “For the past month, you’ve been living like a robot. As if there was no life in you, just distracting yourself everyday from your emotions!” Kai grips your shoulders with his hands, his face showing pain and a hint of anger. “I can’t watch you go any deeper, not like this.”

               You let out a small gasp when Kai suddenly pulls you into his embrace, his arms wrapping tightly around you. “You know I’m here for you…all I’m asking for is one chance…” A whisper breathes into your ear, giving you a sense of chill and warmth at the same time.

               The room fills with silence as the two of you continue hugging like this. You want to say yes to Jongin, for being one of the greatest people that entered your life, for being your friend. However, you realize that you can only put your feelings towards him to that length, nothing more, nothing less. And much to your disappointment, you know that the only person that can make your heart flutter with unexplainable happiness is Park Chanyeol.

               “Kai…” You start, “I’m sorry but-”

               “I got it.” His arms around you loosen as you feel his body back away from yours, “I understand. If you don’t feel the same way, there’s nothing I can do to force you.” Kai lets out a bitter laugh.

               “Kai-”

               “Don’t worry about it. I expected your answer to be this, afterall, it’s our destiny.”

               “Destiny…?” You let out a whisper.

               Jongin looks at you in the eye before giving you a straight nod. He suddenly takes hold of your hand and starts walking towards the door. You halt with your slippers, confused to what he is trying to do.

               “W-where are we going?”

               Kai stops as he keeps his eyes straight ahead.

“You have to save Chanyeol hyung before it’s too late.”

 

a/n: lalalaa please comment ~

anyways, thanks for the people who commented on my cover :D

i love you guys~ *throws hearteu*