Chapter Two

Behind the Mask

“Baekhyun. . .”

“Yeah?” he asked, turning to Pilsuk.  “Why are you pouting?” 

“I didn’t even get her name.  I really wanted to thank her and now I’ll never be able to.”  Her lips stuck out further and her chin began to tremble as tears formed in her eyes.

“Ah jeez, don’t do that,” Baekhyun said.  He drew Pilsuk into a hug and looked over her shoulder.  He could still see his sister’s savior running down the street.  She stopped on a corner, waiting for a light to change so she could cross.

“How fast can you run?” he asked.

*               *               *

“Finally,” Minji said, wiping her hand across her forehead and looked around to admire her handy work.

The mirrors in the dance studio gleamed, no streaks to be seen.  Her boss would have no reason to regret hiring her.  She’d make sure of it. 

Minji kicked off her shoes and stood in the center of the studio.  She closed her eyes and began to hum a lullaby.  She raised her arms above her head and lifted up on her toes, spinning in a pirouette.  1, 2,3, she counted silently as she danced by herself. 

*               *               *

“Is she ever going to come out?” Pilsuk asked, covering a yawn.

“I think we need to get you home,” Baekhyun said, patting her head.

She swatted his hand away.  “No!  I’m not leaving until I talk to her again!”

Baekhyun sighed.  “I’ll stay and wait.  Let’s get you a cab and I’ll meet you at home later, ok?”

“Really?  You’ll stay?  Promise?”

“Of course,” he said.

After Pilsuk had left, Baekhyun stood leaning against the building they’d seen the mystery girl enter earlier.  He glanced at his watch for what felt like the millionth time. 

“Enough of this.”

As far as he could tell, there weren’t any people in the building.  The lights were out on the main floor, but there was a faint glow coming from the stairway.  He followed the glow until he reached the only room that had lights on.  Just as he was going to open the door, he looked through the small window in the door and saw her.

She stood in the center of the room, and as he watched, she began to dance.  Her moves were unpolished, yet somehow, that didn’t matter.  She danced with such emotion, he couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

After what seemed like mere moments, she stopped dancing and smiled.

Beautiful, he thought, then shook his head.  She was coming towards the door.  He stepped back as she opened it and stepped into the darkness.

“Hey.”

Minji jumped and put her hand to her heart.  She squinted into the darkness.  “Oh.  You’re that guy from earlier.”  Her brow creased in confusion.  “What are you doing here?”

Baekhyun ran his hand through his hair.  “I followed you.”  He held out his hands in defense, as she looked him, obviously questioning his motives.  “It’s not what you think!  My sister really wants the chance to thank you properly, but we didn’t even know your name.”

“Tell her she’s thanked me enough.  Good night.”  Minji headed toward the stairs, Baekhyun barely a step behind her.  She walked faster.  Outside of the building, she couldn’t hear his footsteps, but sensed him behind her nonetheless.

She sighed and stopped walking.  “Was there something else?”

Baekhyun stepped in front of her.  “It’s late.  You  shouldn’t be walking home alone.”

Her phone vibrated and she pulled it from her pocket.  She read the new text message and quickly typed a reply.

“What do you say?  Let me walk you home?” 

Minji looked up.  “You aren’t going to take no for an answer, are you?”  He shook his head.  Accepting defeat, she nodded and started walking, keeping her eyes firmly in front of her.

 If she had dared to turn and look, she’d have seen Baekhyun’s satisfied smile.