Chapter 19

Behind the Mask

“Are you ladies ready to hit the beach?” Luhan asked, stepping into the room.  Tao and Baekhyun followed him inside.  They were all in swim shorts and tank tops.

Tao looked Minzy over from head to toe, she pretended not to notice, but her satisfied smile said she did.  Minji walked over to grab the bag that had their towels, snacks, and other beach accessories. 

“Let me carry that,” Baekhyun said, suddenly right beside her.  He took the bag from her without waiting for a response.  “You look amazing,” he said, quietly enough that only she heard him.  Her cheeks flushed.

“Thank you.”

“Are you ready to see the best part of this hotel room?”  Luhan opened a door that none of the girls had noticed.  Inside there was a huge hot tub and soothing lighting.  There were two doors.  “This door,” he said, motioning to the one directly opposite, “leads to our room.  The other door leads directly to the beach.”  He motioned for the girls to precede him.  “Shall we?”

Pilsuk flashed him a smile.  “Let’s go!”

Since it was getting to be evening time, the beach was fairly empty of people.  Eunhee and Pilsuk ran ahead to pick a “prime spot,” as they called it.  They waved everyone over when they’d found it.  Baekhyun and Tao spread out the beach towels for the girls to lie on. 

“Who’s up for some volleyball?” Luhan asked. 

Pilsuk shot up like a rocket.  “I am!” she said enthusiastically.  “I’ll be on your team!”  She ran to stand beside him.

“Alright, I’m in,” Baekhyun chimed in.

“Me too,” Minji said.

“I’ll be the referee,” Eunhee said.

“Are you guys in?” Luhan asked the remaining two.

“I think I’d like to just enjoy the sun while it lasts,” Minzy said. 

“Me too,” Tao added.  “You guys have fun.”  The five took off towards the volleyball net a ways off down the beach. 

Tao moved to the towel Minji had vacated, next to Minzy who was digging through the beach bag.  She pulled out a bottle of suntan lotion and squirted some on her hands.  She applied it to her arms and neck.  Tao watched her out of the corner of his eye, pretending to be watching the volleyball game in progress.  She was trying to rub it on her shoulders now.  He held out his hand.

“Want some help?”

Minzy smiled gratefully.  “I can’t get my back, if you don’t mind helping.”

“I’m happy to help.  Go ahead and lie down.”  Minzy did as she was asked.  The cold lotion hit her skin, followed by Tao’s hands.  She shivered in delight.  He continued to rub in the lotion, making sure he did a thorough job of it.  He applied more lotion to her lower back and Minzy sighed.  Tao held back a groan.  I can’t believe I’m touching her, Tao thought.  Best day ever.

*               *               *

“You guys totally lost!” Pilsuk shouted.  “We make a great team, Oppa,” she said to Luhan.

“We do, don’t we?”  He smiled and patted her on the head.  “Let’s go back to Tao and Minzy and rest a bit.”  Eunhee and Pilsuk ran ahead with Luhan following behind them.  Minji and Baekhyun walked further behind.

“I’m sorry.  I should have warned you that I’m horrible at volleyball,” Minji apologized.

“It’s ok.  I was a bit distracted.”  Baekhyun scratched his head in that awkward way Minji was beginning to recognize. 

“Pilsuk sure is a distraction,” Minji said fondly.  “But she is amusing.  I wonder if Luhan has caught on yet.”

“Oh, he has, but he sees her as a younger sister right now.  But,” he paused as though trying to decide if he should continue his sentence, “my sister’s cry for attention isn’t what was distracting me.”

Minji turned to look at him, curiosity in her eyes.  “What then?”

Baekhyun reached for her hand and laced his fingers through hers.  He tugged her a bit closer, whispering in her ear as they walked.  “Did I tell you how amazing you look today?”

Minji smiled up at him.  “Yes, I believe you did.”  They were almost to where the others were relaxing now.  Minzy looked up and grinned at her, noticing their linked hands. 

“Alright, Tao,” Minzy said.  Minji noticed the look in her eye, even from a distance.  Oh please, no, Minji thought.  What is she up to now?

“How about a wager?” Minzy continued.  “If you can beat Minji, I will grant you a favor.  If she wins, you will grant me one.  Deal?”

 “Deal,” Tao gamely agreed.  “What is the contest?”

“Not again,” Minji muttered under her breath, piquing Baekhyun’s curiosity. 

“You two will spar.  Whoever gets knocked down, or falls down, first loses.  What do you say?”  Minzy asked.

“I say, game on.”  He leaned towards Minzy, making no secret of the fact that he was eyeing her lips.  “And I can’t wait to collect my prize. . .”

 


Yay!  I got to update again after all!  I hope you are all still enjoying this!  ^o^