Chapter 15

Behind the Mask

Oh my gosh, Minji thought, trying not to think about how good her hand felt in Baekhyun’s.  What just happened back there?  The memory of his lips on hers was still intense, making it difficult to focus.  She stumbled and Baekhyun released her hand to reach an arm around and steady her.  Oh great.  Not embarrassing at all.

“Are you ok?”

“Yeah, I just. . .,” got distracted by thoughts of you , she thought.  “I just tripped,” Minji finished lamely.  Tripped?  On what?  Air?

Baekhyun nodded his understanding, then squatted down on the ground.  “Get on.”

Minji’s eyes widened.  “I couldn’t.  I’m too heavy.”

He chuckled.  “I’ve carried you before, remember?  You won’t hurt me.”  He reached for her hand and pulled her arm over his shoulder.  “Now the other one, or this might not work so well.”

Minji gave up and put her other arm around.  She felt his hands grasp her thighs as he lifted her to his back.  Oh dear. 

“There now,” he said.  “I told you I could carry you.  But you might be more comfortable if you relax.”  He felt some of the tension ease from her as she softened against him.  “Now put your head on my shoulder.”

“Thank you.”

“Of course.  You must be exhausted after,” he paused, “after shopping with my sister.  Did she behave herself?”

“She was lovely, though she does go a little crazy when she’s shopping.”

“That’s Pilsuk for you.”  Baekyhun cleared his throat.  “So, I was just wondering, you know, if you’re not busy. . .”

“Yes?”

“Would you go somewhere with me on Saturday?”

“Like a date?”  Minji asked.

“Yeah, like a date.”  Baekhyun held his breath, waiting for her to answer. 

“Ok,” Minji replied. 

Baekhyun grinned.  “It’s a date then.”

They walked on for a while, neither of them talking, but the silence was comfortable.  Minji’s eyes, against her will, were drifting shut.  Baekhyun sensed the instant she fell asleep.  Unconsciously, she snuggled closer to his neck, sighing.  In no time at all, they arrived back at the apartment.  Baekhyun stared at the door, trying to figure out how to open it.  He’d have to put her down, but he didn’t want to wake her up.  The problem soon solved itself as the door opened.  Tao stood aside to let him come in.

“I was beginning to wonder what was keeping you,” Tao said.  He looked at the way Minji was clinging to Baekhyun in her sleep.  He raised his eyebrows in inquiry.

“She’s had a long day.” 

Tao gave him a look that told him he wasn’t buying that excuse, then smiled.  “Don’t you think you should put her to bed now?”  His smile turned into a grin.  “No wait, I’ll do it.”  He held out his arms.

“Go to bed, Tao,” Baekhyun said, going to his room and pushing the door closed with his foot.  He carefully set Minji down on the edge of the bed.

She blinked sleepily.  “When did we get back?”

“Just now.  Go ahead and lay down.”  He fanned out the blanket on top of her, then walked to the door.

“Wait.”  Somehow she was right beside him, her hand on his sleeve.  “You don’t have to sleep out there.”

“I thought you might want me to after what happened today.”  Her cheeks reddened and Baekhyun found himself pulled in again.  She raised her head and his gaze fell to .  Her tongue darted out as she her lips, suddenly shy.  She put her hands on his shoulders and just like earlier, she rose up on tip toe.

Minji kissed Baekhyun’s cheek, then leaned in to whisper in his ear.  “Thank you for the iPod.” 

“You’re welcome,” Baekhyun said, heart pounding.  “Now time for bed.”  She looked about to argue with the idea of him sleeping on the couch.  He ruffled her hair.  “I’ll be just outside the door if you need me.”  He kissed her on the forehead.  “Sweet dreams.”

*               *               *

That night, Minji dreamed she was back in high school.  She walked towards the cafeteria, eager to see Minzy.  A hand reached out from seemingly nowhere and pulled her into a darkened classroom.  She panicked, about to scream until her captor spun her around, her back to the wall.

“Caught you,” he whispered as he leaned in to kiss her.

“Minhyuk,” she sighed against his lips, returning his kiss.  “What are you doing here?”

“Waiting for you.  I had to find you before you got to Minzy.”  He pouted.  “You forget about me when you’re together.”

“I do not!” she protested, offended that he could even think such a thing.  “I could never forget about you!”

Minhyuk chuckled.  “Aishh, such a serious face.”  He pinched her cheeks until she smiled.  “There’s my girl.  You should always be happy and smiling.  Now hug me before I go.”

Wrapped in his arms, Minji absorbed the smell of his leather jacket, as though committing it to memory.  “Be safe, Oppa.”  She pulled back to see his face, only to realize their location had changed.  Gone was the darkened classroom, now replaced with a bright hospital room.  Panic welled up as she yelled for Minhyuk to open his eyes.  No reaction.  He was lying motionless in the hospital bed, tubes everywhere and a bandage around his head.  She tried to reach him, but someone was pulling her back.  Minhyuk was getting further and further away. . . Nooo!

Minji jerked awake, her cheeks damp with tears.  She wiped them dry with the blanket, then lay back down and closed her eyes.  It was just a dream.  Go back to sleep.  But try as she might, sleep wouldn’t return.  She rolled over and touched the spot where Baekhyun had slept the night before,  making up her mind. 

She wrapped herself in the blanket and went to the couch.  Baekhyun was on his side, fast asleep.  Just being near him calmed her, made it easier to breathe.  You can do this, Minji.  She took a deep breath and lay down on the couch beside him, her back to Baekhyun.  She held herself still, listening for a sign that she’d woken him up. 

Just when she was certain she hadn’t, his arm came around her, pulling her back against him.  He nestled his head next to hers, but didn’t say a word.  It was as though he could sense that she just wanted to be comforted. 

Thank you, she thought, as sleep finally came.


 

Hey guys!  This is probably an unnecessary author's note, but I just want to make sure that there is no confusion.  Minhyuk is B-Bomb from Block B.  I'm sure most of you knew that already, but I wanted to mention it just in case.

Anyhow, I hope you like the new chapter.  ^o^