Chapter 6

Behind the Mask

Calm down, Minji told herself.  She took a deep breath and leaned back in her seat, arms crossed, head tilted to the side. 

“I don’t think I can call you oppa.”

Baekhyun took note of the not so subtle change in her demeanor.  Instead of being intimidated, as was the usual effect, he was amused.  Elbows on the table, chin resting on his hands, he leaned forward.

“But you said you didn’t have a boyfriend.”

Minji raised an eyebrow.  “That’s neither here nor there.  It has no bearing on this situation.”

“Enlighten me.”

“How old are you?”

“21.”

“I’m 22.  I can’t call you oppa.”  A satisfied expression graced her face.

“Seriously?”  Baekhyun asked.  “No fooling?”

She nodded.

Baekhyun made a victory pump with his right arm and Minji forgot to look intimidating.  What now?

“I’ve always wanted a girl to call noona.  This is way better than being called oppa.”  He leaned towards her.  “But you can still call me oppa.  You look younger than me anyways.”

A blush crept up Minji’s cheeks.

“So what does noona want to do today?”  His flirtatious tone wasn’t helping her composure.  “I know!” he shouted, springing up from the table and pulling her up to stand beside him.  He put enough money for the bill on the table and grabbed her hand, leading her from the café.

*               *               *

The smell of popcorn was intense in the movie theater lobby.

“What kind of movie should we see?”

Minji shrugged.  “You pick.  I’m easy.”

Baekhyun put a finger to her lips.  “As happy as I am to hear that, I don’t think you should announce it.  After all, you are here with me.”  He winked and pulled his finger away.

Minji rolled her eyes and refused to laugh or react at all to his teasing.  How long has it been since I’ve been teased?  I honestly don’t remember.

“Wait here for a second.  I’ll get our tickets.”

Ten minutes later, they were seated in the theater waiting for the show to start.  Baekhyun had picked a horror movie.  Minji gulped and tried to look calm.  As tough as everyone thought she was, horror films usually terrified her. 

The previews seemed to end before they had begun and soon they were half an hour into the horror flick.  Like most horror movies, there was a murderer on the loose.  The power had gone out and one of the characters was wandering around the house alone to figure out what was going on.  The music was haunting as she began to round a corner where the killer lurked.

“Popcorn?”  Baekhyun asked.  Minji jumped and he laughed.  “Sorry,” he whispered, grinning from ear to ear, obviously not sorry at all.

“Sure, I’ll have some.”  She took a small handful and ate a kernel at a time. 

“That’s not how you eat popcorn.  Let me show you.”  Baekhyun grabbed a handful and shoved it all in his mouth.  “See?” he said around the half chewed popcorn.

“You’re right,” she said, unable to contain a smile.  “Your way is better.” 

The rest of the movie passed by quickly with Baekhyun leaning over and making jokes about the characters and the movie in general.  His commentary made the film seem silly instead of scary and Minji forgot to be freaked out.  As the movie ended, they walked out of the theater.

“Wow.  That movie was awful.  Next time let’s watch a comedy or an action movie.”

Next time?  She nodded her head.  Her phone vibrated.

“Hello?” Minji said, answering the call without looking.

“Min.  Where are you?”  She stopped walking.  Baekhyun paused beside her, noticing her frozen expression and how she got a little pale.

“Min?  I need to see you,” Zico said.

Minji swallowed audibly and hung up the phone, shoving it in her pocket.  “Wrong number,” she said and started walking again.

It was an obvious lie and they both knew it.  Baekhyun’s mind raced, trying to think of a way to divert her into a happier mood.  He dashed in front of her and grabbed her by the shoulders.  She looked up at him, troubled and vulnerable.  For a moment he almost forgot his purpose.  He mentally shook himself.

“Noona, will you go somewhere with me?”