Chapter 9

Behind the Mask

It was just past midnight when Tao returned home.  The first thing he noticed was an extra pair of shoes at the door.  Female shoes.  He looked up curiously.

The television was on and Tao approached the couch.  Baekhyun was fast asleep, scrunched up in a position that didn’t look comfortable at all.  Tao poked his shoulder, but Baekhyun was unaffected and continued to sleep.

Pabo, what are you doing out here?  I guess I should investigate.

Tao opened Baekhyun’s door as quietly as possible.  There was a girl asleep in his friend’s  bed.  She looked to be about his age, possibly younger, and quite beautiful.  Her thick black hair was pulled back in a braid and draped over her shoulder. 

Nice, Baekhyun!  Where did you find a girl like this?

The girl shivered and Tao looked around for another blanket to put over her.  After a minute or so of looking, he thought of a better idea.  He smiled mischievously, a smile that would have had Baekhyun worried if he’d been awake to see it.

*               *               *

The morning sunlight taunted Minji with the time.  Not yet, she thought, pulling her blanket tighter and rolling over.  The bed was simply too warm to leave yet. 

Wait. . . Sunlight?  My bed faces away from the window. . .

Cautiously, she opened one eye, then clamped a hand over as her other eye flew open.  Baekhyun was fast asleep and only about a foot away from her.  She held her breath and tried to remember how she ended up in the bed.  The last she could recall, she’d been sitting on the couch with Baekhyun.

Minji uncovered , biting her bottom lip and reaching forward to move Baekhyun’s hair out of his face.  He looked so much younger asleep, so much more innocent.  Silly, Minji.  Of course nothing happened.  Baekhyun mumbled something in his sleep.  Suddenly his arm reached out, grabbing her and pulling her closer.  He tucked her head under his chin and sighed contentedly. 

Minji tried to stay still.  Her head was pressed against his chest and she could hear his heartbeat.  Baekhyun’s hand starting massaging lazy circles on her back.  As her heartbeat sped up, so did his.  She squeezed her eyes shut.  Breathe normal, Minji.  Stay calm.  He doesn’t know what he’s doing. . .

A phone vibrated on the bedside table.  My phone!  Slowly, trying not to wake him, she rolled to her left and carefully raised his arm.  She slipped out from under and put his arm down on the bed.  She grabbed her phone.

Where are you?!  Junhyung told me about Zico.  I wish I was there to help you!- Minzy

Minji smiled.  She missed her best friend Minzy so much she could hardly stand it.  They’d been inseparable for years.  Because of the similarities of their names, they were usually referred to as the Mins.  You couldn’t mess with one without the other. 

I’m at a friend’s house.  He let me stay the night.

He?!  Omo!  I need details!  DETAILS!!!- Minzy

The bed shifted and Minji realized Baekhyun must be waking up. 

It’s not what you think.  I’ll text you later, Z! 

Minji snapped her phone shut and turned to face her surprise bedmate.  He sleepily blinked his eyes and looked around, obviously confused.  Minji raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

“I went to sleep on the couch.  How did I get in here?” he asked.

“I was going to ask you a similar question.  How did I end up in here?”

“You fell asleep and I carried you in here.”

“You said you had an extra bed. . .”

Baekhyun grimaced guiltily and scratched his head.  “Well, when I sleep on the couch I do.  Plus,” he continued when it looked like she was going to argue, “I also have a bed roll I can lay out.”

“I see.  All that aside, if you fell asleep on the couch, how did you end up beside me?”

“My roommate must have put brought me in here.  He probably thought it would be funny.  I. . . I didn’t do anything weird, did I?”

Minji felt the blush but refused to acknowledge it.  “No.  Not a thing.”  She self-consciously tugged on her braid.  “Umm, I’m going to use the bathroom.”  In a heartbeat she was out of the room.

*               *               *

“Yah!” Baekhyun shouted and swung a pillow at Tao’s head.  Tao’s eyes snapped open and he blocked the pillow with his arm.  Tao smirked.

“You’re welcome.”

Baekhyun had been about to take another swing, but stopped.  He lowered the pillow.  “You think I appreciated it?  Waking up with her so close to me?”

“Baek, I saw the girl.  I know you appreciated it.  I just hope my efforts weren’t wasted.”

Baekhyun thought about her tucked against his chest and grinned.  He ruffled Tao’s hair.

“Yah!”

Baekhyun laughed as he stood to leave the room.  Before closing the door, he poked his head back inside.  He mouthed the words “thank you” and closed the door.